Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

10 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

nice knife

Thanks John!  I edited my post to add a link for the knife if you want to check it out.  For a simple lock-back, it's pretty sturdy/handy.

thanks Doug, my other passion is collecting knifes

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Agree it's hard sometimes...  I'll be good for a while (limiting beers and avoiding triple cheeseburgers) but it's easy to backslide into bad habits.  Hopefully it will get easier.

Had to pick up something from a neighbor one street over, but took a literal walk around the neighborhood and got my 10,000 steps in before dinner...

11-29-2023 Veggie Pickup Walk.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Guy Clark, he's one of the best!

Had the pleasure of hearing Guy Clark and Verlon Thompson play together during the "Texas: A Celebration of Music, Food, and Wine" program at the 2008 Smithsonian Folklife Festival.

Managed to find a clip of him from that show...sitting on the National Mall, talking about music, and playing "Some Days You Write the Song."

• Like 1

V-Bar Deadlift with 2 7/8" Vertical Cannons 12-01-2023

Bought these 2 7/8" Vertical Cannons from Arm Assassin Strength Shop on Black Friday.

Wasn't sure how things would go today.  Had some lingering aches and pains since Tuesday.  But I couldn't wait to try them, so...I lifted anyway.

For context, I did a pre-test on 11/14/2023 with a slightly smaller v-bar setup and only worked up to 255lb (with 277lb barely breaking the ground).

Despite being a little larger, I was able to pull 277lb today with these 2 7/8" Vertical Cannons.  Calling that a win for my v-bar training.

Musical Inspiration:  "Lethal Tendencies" by Hallows Eve from the album "Death & Insanity" released in August 1986.

• Like 3

IronMind Silver Bullet RE-TEST 12-01-2023

Picking back up with my Silver Bullet experiment from 11-19-2023.  Goal was to hold a heavier weight using the same gripper as last time AND/OR hold the same weight with a stronger gripper than last time.

Short story is I accomplished both goals.  Long version is I held:

•  Cannon PowerWorks Tin [Sn] Standard Gripper (RGC 51) and 27.6lb Horse Tether

•  Cannon PowerWorks Zinc [Zn] Standard Gripper (RGC 60) and 27.6lb Horse Tether

•  Gillingham High Performance [GHP] Level 3 Gripper (RGC 70) and 20lb York Dumbbell

•  Cannon PowerWorks Gold [Au] Standard Gripper (RGC 96) and 9.2lb Scale Weight

Musical Inspiration:  Hallows Eve's album "Death & Insanity" released in August 1986.

• Like 3

On 12/1/2023 at 10:41 PM, John Knowlton said:

Nice work Doug

Thanks John!

• Like 1

Pull, Bize, and Trize Day REVISITED 12-05-2023

Overdid it a bit last week with grip training, so skipped thick bar and fat grips for the most part today.

Lots of volume and variation in this workout.  Trying to hit different angles to keep my arms guessing.

Round 1 - Pulldowns (5' Lat Bar), Hammer Curls, Front/Lat Raises, Pulldowns (4’ Lat Bar)

Round 2 - Pulldowns (2' Straight Bar), EZ Bar Curls, Front/Lat Raises, Pulldowns (Mike Bartos' I-Beam)

Round 3 - Rows (Steadfast), Zottman Curls, Front/Lat Raises, Rows (Bare Steel Equipmemt Iron Legend)

Round 4 - Rows (Watson M10), Super Bar Reverse Curls, Front/Lat Raises, Rows (Rogue Fitness)

Round 5 - Extensions (Hog Legs), Hoerbel Curls, Front/Lat Raises, Extension (Rogue Fitness)

Round 6 - Extensions (EliteFTS Rope), Alternating Dumbbell Curls, Front/Lat Raises, Extensions (EliteFTS 3” Muscle Mace)

BONUS ROUND - Slow count single arm decline bench press to give the trize some time under tension.

Musical Inspiration:  "Live Wire" by Mötley Crüe from the album "Decade of Decadence 81–91" released in September 1991.

• Like 4

Way cool workout Doug .looks like you worked your but off.

how did you feel afterwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Way cool workout Doug .looks like you worked your but off.

how did you feel afterwards.

Thanks John!  Immediately afterwards I had a tremendous pump and felt like I killed it without killing my hands.

This morning though I could feel the fatigue when even the soap in the shower feels heavy...hahaha

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Pull, Bize, and Trize Day REVISITED 12-05-2023

Overdid it a bit last week with grip training, so skipped thick bar and fat grips for the most part today.

Lots of volume and variation in this workout.  Trying to hit different angles to keep my arms guessing.

Round 1 - Pulldowns (5' Lat Bar), Hammer Curls, Front/Lat Raises, Pulldowns (4’ Lat Bar)

Round 2 - Pulldowns (2' Straight Bar), EZ Bar Curls, Front/Lat Raises, Pulldowns (Mike Bartos' I-Beam)

Round 3 - Rows (Steadfast), Zottman Curls, Front/Lat Raises, Rows (Bare Steel Equipmemt Iron Legend)

Round 4 - Rows (Watson M10), Super Bar Reverse Curls, Front/Lat Raises, Rows (Rogue Fitness)

Round 5 - Extensions (Hog Legs), Hoerbel Curls, Front/Lat Raises, Extension (Rogue Fitness)

Round 6 - Extensions (EliteFTS Rope), Alternating Dumbbell Curls, Front/Lat Raises, Extensions (EliteFTS 3” Muscle Mace)

BONUS ROUND - Slow count single arm decline bench press to give the trize some time under tension.

Musical Inspiration:  "Live Wire" by Mötley Crüe from the album "Decade of Decadence 81–91" released in September 1991.

Live Wire? I think I’d be calling Dr. Feelgood after all that🤣

great session

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Live Wire? I think I’d be calling Dr. Feelgood after all that🤣

great session

HA!  Thanks Joe!

Seeing @John Knowlton's version of the inch dumbbell and @DeucesRwild's Inch replica Christmas present is making it really tough to wait until Friday to get my grip workout in.

Logically I know I'll have more time tomorrow after work, I'll be more rested, etc.  But still...  🥺

Speaking of Friday...I need to catch up on Gripsport latino after the kids go to bed.

Haven't had a chance to watch @pancho_grip_lift's two-part interview with @ZRMMA yet and he's already dropped one with @dubyagrip...

I need to catch up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Speaking of Friday...I need to catch up on Gripsport latino after the kids go to bed.

Haven't had a chance to watch @pancho_grip_lift's two-part interview with @ZRMMA yet and he's already dropped one with @dubyagrip...

I need to catch up!

Thank you Douglas! I hope you enjoy them 👑🙌🏻

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pancho_grip_lift said:

Thank you Douglas! I hope you enjoy them 👑🙌🏻

I'm sure I will!  Your past interviews have been great to watch and these are two grip guys I'd like to learn from...

• Thanks 1

New Copper [Cu] Standard Gripper (RGC 108) - CCS Attempt 12-07-2023

My shiny new Copper [Cu] Standard Gripper (RGC 108) arrived from Cannon PowerWorks today.  Had to give it a proper go, so I chose to attempt a Credit Card Set (CCS).  Felt like I got the first one but the video is inconclusive...  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Warmup consisted of the following:

Right/Left Hand
IronMind Captains of Crush Guide (RGC 27) X 5
IronMind Captains of Crush Sport (RGC 37) X 5
Cannon PowerWorks Tin [Sn] Standard Gripper (RGC 51) X 5
Cannon PowerWorks Zinc [Zn] Standard Gripper (RGC 60) X 5

Right Hand Only
Powerball 200 (RGC 80) X 1
Cannon PowerWorks Gold [Au] Standard Gripper (RGC 96) X 1

Musical Inspiration:  "Copperhead Road" by Steve Earle from the album "Copperhead Road" released in October 1988.

• Like 6

Way cool Doug, nice work,. My Copper gripper will be here Saturday, can’t wait 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Way cool Doug, nice work,. My Copper gripper will be here Saturday, can’t wait 

Thanks John!  It's a nice addition to my collection because the narrower spread adds some variation.  Hopefully you enjoy yours as well!

Obvious change in plans last night.  Couldn't resist trying out the new Copper gripper from @Cannon.  Really like it!

Also watched part 1 and nearly 20 minutes of part 2 of @ZRMMA's interview with @pancho_grip_lift.  Great episode(s) and enjoy hearing about Zach's background, plans for the future, and of course - Heavy Hands.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Obvious change in plans last night.  Couldn't resist trying out the new Copper gripper from @Cannon.  Really like it!

Also watched part 1 and nearly 20 minutes of part 2 of @ZRMMA's interview with @pancho_grip_lift.  Great episode(s) and enjoy hearing about Zach's background, plans for the future, and of course - Heavy Hands.

Happy NGD (new gripper day).

I'm so behind on these interviews. The only time I really have is bed time. And 99% of the time I get about 15-20 minutes in before i fall asleep.

• Like 2