Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

Surpassed "glazed donut" this afternoon.

Picture a guy my size scrambling up a 6' ladder, shimmying through a 2' x 2' hole, scurrying to the back corner of the crawlspace, and carrying out the artificial christmas tree and all the trimmings solo.  hahaha  😄

Or should that be hohoho?  :santa:

Crawlspace 1.jpg

Crawlspace 2.jpg

• Haha 1

I figured lugging christmas decorations counted as a warmup, so while I was downstairs I took the “Coke Can – Kettlebell”  (116.8lb) and Gods of Grip Baby Inch Dumbbell (145.2lb) for a ride.

Musical Inspiration:  "Ton of Bricks" by Metal Church from the album "The Dark" released in October 1986.

• Like 3

Way cool Doug. Not bad for not feeling good. How are you doing today.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Way cool Doug. Not bad for not feeling good. How are you doing today.

Thanks John!  I'm mostly good today and ready to get back at it.

Bad news is, my son tested positive this morning despite me isolating and masking.  Possible he got it somewhere else.

It's definitely going around...even his doctor is home isolating today so she did the virtual visit from her house!

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 1:17 PM, Douglas Carney said:

Reposting just in case someone out there hasn't subscribed to the Grip Sport International Newsletter or watched the #31DaysOfQnA yet...

For this weekend, @Jedd Johnson is knocking $10 off all 3 of his Inch Dumbbell Products:

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Hopefully he will be ok. he is young and will bounce back fast.

yes, it is back on the rise.  a number of people where I work are out with it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

Hopefully he will be ok. he is young and will bounce back fast.

yes, it is back on the rise.  a number of people where I work are out with it.

You wouldn't even know my son has it.  His cheeks are a little flush, but he's as energetic and happy as ever.

• Like 1

Just spent some quality time with my google calendar blocking out times and activities for exercise/grip work/general fitness.  Will adjust as needed but going to start with:

Monday - Leg Day Accessory Work - Ex. Goblet Squats, Step Ups, Lunges, Hip Thrusters, and/or Reverse Hyper

Tuesday - Pull, Bize & Trize Day plus V-Bar, Blob & Hub Lift Practice

Wednesday - 30 - 45 Minute Walk

Thursday - Rest Day

Friday - Alternate between:

Decline Bench Press & Deadlift Day - Decline Bench Press, Axle Bar Deadlift, Saxon Bar Deadlift, Inch Dumbbell Work, Silver Bullet Practice

Decline Bench Press & Deficit Pin Day - Decline Bench Press, 2 7/8" Handle (Single Hand), 2" x 5" Block (Two Hand), Inch Dumbbell Work, Silver Bullet Practice

Saturday and Sunday - Rest Day (or Family Activities)

Know it may sound like a lot, but the idea was to mix in different size/shape implements, ranges of motion, targeted muscle groups, contested lifts, etc.

And frankly hub and grippers are only on the list because they're contested and require some practice.  So I felt like I shouldn't completely ignore them even though my focus is the Inch dumbbell right now.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug, looks good 

Thanks John!

But I did "Decline Bench Press & Deficit Pin Day" a day and early and - while I may not be 100% over COVID yet - I barely had anything left in the tank for baby Inch dumbbell work at the end.  AND I "forgot" that I put Silver Bullet on that list, too.  🤪

I need to work up to doing your kind of volume...

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 2

2 7/8" Handle (Single Hand) and 2" x 5" Block (Two Hand) 12-21-2023

Deficit Loading Pin and Napalm Nightmare with a 2 7/8" Handle (Single Hand) and 2" x 5" Block (Two Hand) from Arm Assassin Strength Shop.

First time using my new 2 7/8" Handle.  More difficult than I expected.  Attempted 145lb after 125lb but had to drop down to 130.5lb just to get it to (barely) break the ground.

Fared better on the 2" x 5" Block.  145lb only broke the ground on 10-15-2023 but I got a full lift with it today.  Then I got a bit greedy only to have 156lb slip out of my hands on the way down.

Musical Inspiration:  "Orion" by Rodrigo y Gabriela from the album "Live in Japan" released in October 2008.

• Like 6

Hey Doug nice one . very cool video.

killer grip 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug nice one . very cool video.

killer grip 

Thanks John!  I'm hoping this stuff will carryover to Inch dumbbells and 3" Saxon [which will be contested at Maryland's Strongest Hands 2024 on April 27th and again at Heavy Hands 2 (date TBD)].

NOTE:

The larger rolling handle thing possibly carrying over to the Inch goes back to something Jedd Johnson said in the video for 2019, Day 7 of #31DaysOfQnA.

And the Saxon thing goes back to something Carl Myerscough said on The Grip Show about narrower blocks will enable you to lift the bigger one easier, but not the other way around.

Worst case scenario, I may expand my comfort zone a bit with thicker handles and thinner blocks - which will make me more well-rounded in grip.

• Like 2

-----NON GRIP RELATED-----

I'll be spending some quality time in the gym today wrapping stocking stuffers for everyone (including myself to help maintain the tradition for the kids*) and watching "Die Hard" (also tradition).

* This year is a little different because my wife and I let our 10 year old daughter in on the fact the only jolly fat man roaming around our house at midnight on Christmas Eve is me.  :santa:  But thankfully she's embraced helping to make it fun for her brother and sister...

image.thumb.png.8530fcfdde8ffbf32c9bd53225d4675f.png

• Like 4

Nice , that’s cool you got 10 years of her believing.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I hope to keep our oldest believing for that long. That's awesome. Then maybe she can help with our youngest for a few years. That'll be fun. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice , that’s cool you got 10 years of her believing.

34 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Yeah, I hope to keep our oldest believing for that long. That's awesome. Then maybe she can help with our youngest for a few years. That'll be fun. 

I'm sure our oldest had her suspicions here and there.  It happens.  Ex. Last night at dinner, her younger sister was asking stuff like:

• How does Santa see you when you're sleeping?
  • How does Santa know when you're awake?
  • How does Santa know you've been bad or good?  (Goodness sake!!!)

Best to change the subject (if you can) than field those questions...  😂🤣😅  The cool thing is, our oldest handled it and we moved on - younger sister belief system still intact.  😇

5 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

I'm sure our oldest had her suspicions here and there.  It happens.  Ex. Last night at dinner, her younger sister was asking stuff like:

• How does Santa see you when you're sleeping?
  • How does Santa know when you're awake?
  • How does Santa know you've been bad or good?  (Goodness sake!!!)

Best to change the subject (if you can) than field those questions...  😂🤣😅  The cool thing is, our oldest handled it and we moved on - younger sister belief system still intact.  😇

Haha, I’ll keep that in mind. We’ve been doing elf on the shelf stuff, so that’s another fun aspect. 

Here’s a recent one I was proud of: 

IMG_4275.thumb.jpeg.21ee39cd80c78b889e3fb724d1600ec6.jpeg

It’s hard to see, but she has Q-tip drum sticks. 

Edited by DoctorOfCrush
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Haha, I’ll keep that in mind. We’ve been doing elf on the shelf stuff, so that’s another fun aspect. 

Here’s a recent one I was proud of:

I need a button beyond "like" for this one.  That's straight up awesome...

image.thumb.png.c8998293a61de45c29a79c3a450dc489.png

Haha thanks. I wish I had a pic of the jam sesh from last year. It was the elf on guitar, Barbie on keys, and Maleficent on vocals. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Haha thanks. I wish I had a pic of the jam sesh from last year. It was the elf on guitar, Barbie on keys, and Maleficent on vocals. 

As my younger daughter (age six) likes to say, "Sounds epic!"

About to load up "Die Hard 2" because I'm way too meticulous at wrapping - even with presents destined to be stuffed into a stocking.  🤪

Two is still a good Christmas movie even though it clearly follows the "sequels are not equals" pattern.  🙄

Speaking of sequels...always fun to see Robert Patrick in two and know that he blew people's minds the very next year as a T-1000 in "Terminator 2: Judgment Day."  🤖

Fun IMDb Fact:  Robert Patrick has the dubious distinction of being the only actor killed on screen by all three of the Planet Hollywood founders: Bruce Willis (in Die Hard 2 (1990)), Sylvester Stallone (in Cop Land (1997)), and most famously by Arnold Schwarzenegger (in Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)).  😂🤣😅

• Like 3

FIVE HOURS TOTAL of watching "Die Hard" and wrapping presents while sitting on my gym floor yesterday.

Paused for dinner and to take the kids for a walk around a "garden of lights" at a local park.  But still felt like a lot...

Based on how slow and stiff/stilted I was moving afterward, I'm thinking I need to do 10 minute ab or yoga class periodically to get in some "floor work."  🤔

I was fine this morning, but I shouldn't have been that wiped at midnight last night.  😯

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

FIVE HOURS TOTAL of watching "Die Hard" and wrapping presents while sitting on my gym floor yesterday.

Paused for dinner and to take the kids for a walk around a "garden of lights" at a local park.  But still felt like a lot...

Based on how slow and stiff/stilted I was moving afterward, I'm thinking I need to do 10 minute ab or yoga class periodically to get in some "floor work."  🤔

I was fine this morning, but I shouldn't have been that wiped at midnight last night.  😯

I do online yoga most nights and some mornings after rowing. I can't get into all the being one with yourself and all that namaste stuff but its very beneficial. 5-30 minutes.. Whatever i have time and energy for. 

• Like 3