Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

9 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

178.6lb Thomas Inch Replica Dumbbell – Four Minutes of FAILS 01/08/2024

Waited four days after carrying this thing down to my basement gym to give it a good go.

But oh my goodness this thing dropped anchor and is making itself at home on the floor.

Even with trying to lift it from a crash pad all I could do was get a little bit of spin.

Musical Inspiration:  "Dropping Anchor" by Jimmie's Chicken Shack from "Pushing the Salmanilla Envelope" released in June 1997.

Fun Fact:  These guys were from Annapolis, Maryland and used to play at a place called the Flying Club that I used to frequent - a lot - back in the day.  And not many bands driving down my way could claim they had a video playing on MTV...so they did stand out a bit.  Unfortunately some lineup changes and problems with their label cut short their ascent up the charts.

Nice work Doug. You are gonna lift that thing before you know it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice work Doug. You are gonna lift that thing before you know it. 

Thanks Joe!  I imagine it doesn't look like I'm doing much in those videos, but my left forearm and thumb had a great pump afterward so I know I was putting in the work.  And as long as I keep putting in the work, it will eventually go up.

• Like 1

GOAL UPDATE

Annual physical with my primary care doctor in 90 minutes or so.  Weighed myself again on my scale and logged it in the sheet I created back in January 2020.

Today I was 247.0lb (down two more pounds since Sunday).  Know it's a bit like cramming for an exam but I'm ok with that weight for today's visit.

For context, the lowest weight on that tracking sheet is 240.2lb back in April 2020.  And I was a lot healthier back then...so I feel like I'm getting back on track since last year's annual physical (when I was 280lb and blood work numbers were not so good).

The key for 2024 is making slow, steady progress over time so I'm not cramming again next year.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks Joe!  I imagine it doesn't look like I'm doing much in those videos, but my left forearm and thumb had a great pump afterward so I know I was putting in the work.  And as long as I keep putting in the work, it will eventually go up.

I've been working with the anchor for about 20 months now...  I know the feeling. 🤣

• Haha 1

Hope all went well at your physical, Remember this is a good starting point.

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2024 at 9:41 PM, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug aren’t fails just warm ups

Thanks John!

On 1/12/2024 at 12:51 PM, John Knowlton said:

Hope all went well at your physical, Remember this is a good starting point.

We'll see what happens when the blood work comes back.  But for right now the doc is happy for me to be down 31lb since this time last year.

Eclectic Grip Mix 01-12-2024

Silarukov 76mm Hub - 36lb Added [OK] and 45lb Added [FAIL] - REALLY struggling to figure this one out.  Can't seem to find a hand position that's both comfortable and strong.

Arm Assassin Strength Shop 6 ½” Paint Can Hub - 45lb Added [OK] and 50.5lb Added [FAIL] - I liked this because (unlike blobs) I can incrementally increase the weight without the width changing.

York Half 100 Next Gen Blob - 52.4lb Total [OK] and 55.0lb Total [FAIL] - Switched to blobs because the edge is a little sharp on the Paint Can Hub.

Hex 100 Block Weights + Bare Steel Equipment Magnets 50.8lb and 53.6lb [OK] - Face Picks are fun, but I needed to do some traditional lifts as well.

Hex 100 Block Weights + PlateMate Magnets 55.8lb and 58.6lb  [FAIL] - May have pushed it a bit too far but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Dumbbell + 2 ½” Iron Bull Strength Grips - Static Curl - 80lb Added  [OK] - Working in curls as described by Carl Myerscough on "The Grip Show (Episode 15) The Thomas Inch Dumbbell."

Dumbbell + 2 ½” Iron Bull Strength Grips - Static Curl - 90lb Added  [FAIL] - Realistically next time I could probably shoot for 85lb to get better range of motion for the curl.

Musical Inspiration:  "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes from the album "Elephant" released in April 2003.

• Like 2

Hey Doug , supper cool video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug , supper cool video.

Thanks John!  Trying to "mix" it up and do something other than Inch, Axle, or Saxon Bar.

Cannon PowerWorks Copper [Cu] Standard Gripper (RGC 108) Table No Set Attempts 01-14-2024

Still chipping away at a successful Table No Set of my Cannon PowerWorks Copper [Cu] Standard Gripper (RGC 108).

I should probably know better than to try to "squeeze" this in while cooking dinner, but no one ever accused me of being patient when it comes to grip strength attempts.

Felt better (closer?) than a month ago but those last few millimeters are still fighting back.

Goal is to get to this point where I can click - no GRIND - it so I can clearly hear the Copper concede defeat.

Musical Inspiration:  "Charlie Brown [Schroeder Version]" by JFA (Jodie Foster's Army) from the album "We Know You Suck" released in February 2003.

• Like 2

Nice work Doug, Its always a good time to grip.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice work Doug, Its always a good time to grip.

Thanks John!

• Like 1

----- NON GRIP RELATED -----

Only 4.3" of snow when I woke up this morning, but still enough to get in a little workout clearing the steps, sidewalk, and street.  Was that heavy wet stuff, too, not light and powdery.  ☃️

01-16-2024 Snow Day Step Count.jpg

• Like 5

LOOKS NICE

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

LOOKS NICE

Thanks John!

MAJOR "cheat day" last night.  Three glasses of wine and a ton of snacks.  Woke up with a bit of heartburn and a headache as a result.  🙄

For context/perspective, I entered everything in the MyFitnessPal app and saw that I had DOUBLED my calorie intake for the day.  😳

Clearly I need to minimize/moderate the "cheat day" thing going forward.  No amount of snow shoveling yesterday would have offset last night.  😞

• Like 2

not that bad, look at the ROCKS cheat day.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

MAJOR "cheat day" last night.  Three glasses of wine and a ton of snacks.  Woke up with a bit of heartburn and a headache as a result.  🙄

For context/perspective, I entered everything in the MyFitnessPal app and saw that I had DOUBLED my calorie intake for the day.  😳

Clearly I need to minimize/moderate the "cheat day" thing going forward.  No amount of snow shoveling yesterday would have offset last night.  😞

You got 4.3" of snow yesterday, i got about the same.. rule per thumb is a drink per inch of snow.  You had 3 wines i had 4 beers.

I dont make the rules i just follow them.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You got 4.3" of snow yesterday, i got about the same.. rule per thumb is a drink per inch of snow.  You had 3 wines i had 4 beers.

Oh crap.... we got 8.1 inches.... I have a lot of catching up to do....

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

not that bad, look at the ROCKS cheat day.

14 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

11 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Oh crap.... we got 8.1 inches.... I have a lot of catching up to do....

CHEERS GUYS!  🍻

• Like 1

Looks like we should all go to Nashville.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Looks like we should all go to Nashville.

It’s a fun place! Not the best infrastructure for handling all that snow though. Anything that isn’t a main 4+ lane road is still a sheet of ice and snow. 

• Like 2

-----NON GRIP RELATED-----

Didn't mean to cut calories so severely yesterday.  Was more a result of salad for dinner and no snacking in front of the tv.

Downside is my protein intake was low and I didn't realize it until this morning.  Could have easily supplemented with a shake or something.

Oh well...it's a balancing act that I'm (obviously) still figuring out...  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ... and today is a new day.  ㋡

01-17-2024 Calories and Nutrition.jpg

• Like 2

Hey Doug , yes today is a new day. looking at your chart ,if I could make a suggestion, I would cut my carbs down to under 100 and double my protein intake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1