Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug , yes today is a new day. looking at your chart ,if I could make a suggestion, I would cut my carbs down to under 100 and double my protein intake.

Thanks John!  Carb count came from cereal for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and granola bar as a snack.  And I think a contributing factor was I'm a bit overdue for a trip to the grocery store and this stuff was sitting in the pantry.  I need to stop by the grocery store after work so I have more/better options to choose from...

• Like 2

Random Impulse Item - Weider Grippers - Five Bucks on PoshMark

01-18-2024 Weider Gripper.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Random Impulse Item - Weider Grippers - Five Bucks on PoshMark

01-18-2024 Weider Gripper.jpg

Enjoy the sick GAINZ!

• Haha 1

-----NON GRIP RELATED-----

Mother Nature keeps giving me opportunities to get some fresh air and exercise.

I feel another "cheat day" coming on...just maybe not quite as crazy as a couple days ago.

01-19-2024 Snow Steps.jpg

01-19-2024 Snow Total.jpg

• Like 3

More shoveling this morning to clean up a bit and catch the driveway.

Then it was a good bit of walking when I took my daughter to the Ravens playoff game.

No idea how many steps I got though because I forgot to wear my FitBit...  🙄

• Like 3

Nice 

GO RAVENS

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice 

GO RAVENS

Much happier with their second half performance.  We'll see what they bring to the AFC Championship game.

Back to my step count...I'm literally three rows from the lights.  And my daughter (age 10) likes to take the stairs up to the concourse (probably to make me work off all that good tailgate food...hahaha).  So yeah...good bit of walking.

Speaking of tailgate...that's what really got me started (the hanging out with friends part...not just the food).  Two buddies I've known from junior high (and were also in my wedding) had season tickets and when my daughter turned five, two seats opened up in the row behind my friends' seats.  So I went for it and bought season tickets in hopes my daughter would like it.

Never imagined how much she'd be into it.  She quickly became a H-U-G-E Ravens fan.  These days she reads news articles, listens to interviews, watches the IR list, the works.  I think she's more into than I am at times...hahaha

01-20-2024 Ravens Game - RESIZED.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Much happier with their second half performance.  We'll see what they bring to the AFC Championship game.

Back to my step count...I'm literally three rows from the lights.  And my daughter (age 10) likes to take the stairs up to the concourse (probably to make me work off all that good tailgate food...hahaha).  So yeah...good bit of walking.

Speaking of tailgate...that's what really got me started (the hanging out with friends part...not just the food).  Two buddies I've known from junior high (and were also in my wedding) had season tickets and when my daughter turned five, two seats opened up in the row behind my friends' seats.  So I went for it and bought season tickets in hopes my daughter would like it.

Never imagined how much she'd be into it.  She quickly became a H-U-G-E Ravens fan.  These days she reads news articles, listens to interviews, watches the IR list, the works.  I think she's more into than I am at times...hahaha

01-20-2024 Ravens Game - RESIZED.jpg

Looks like a great time. Its great to make these memories with your daughter.

I'll never go to Gillette stadium so i'll probably never go to a football game, at least in New England.  Saw Guns N' Roses there 2016, amazing show but it took like a 90 minutes to get out of the parking lot. One way in, one way out of that place..   Bruins at the Garden and Sox a Fenway i'll do anytime. 

• Like 2

One other quick note from the Ravens game on Sunday. When I was saying goodbye at the tailgate to take my daughter to get her face painted (a "must have" tradition for her despite the cold weather), I shook my buddy's hand and he was like "did your hand get bigger? Seriously, dude...I've shaken your hand tons of times over the years and it feels bigger today."

His brother-in-law who I see like maybe once a year was a little puzzled, so my buddy told him about me doing my first grip competitions last year. And after he asked about some of my best lifts, he was like "uhm...yeah...thanks for not crushing my hand."

Point is...I look at elite lifts on this amazing board and the folks I look up to and think...man that's a ton of weight and they're super strong. But sometimes I lose perspective that the average guy walking down the street might think the same thing about me.

Was just kind of a cool little reaffirming moment while that 178lb Inch dumbbell is still anchored to my floor. My progress over the last year or so is measurable/noticeable...even if I haven't completed that particular feat yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

One other quick note from the Ravens game on Sunday. When I was saying goodbye at the tailgate to take my daughter to get her face painted (a "must have" tradition for her despite the cold weather), I shook my buddy's hand and he was like "did your hand get bigger? Seriously, dude...I've shaken your hand tons of times over the years and it feels bigger today."

His brother-in-law who I see like maybe once a year was a little puzzled, so my buddy told him about me doing my first grip competitions last year. And after he asked about some of my best lifts, he was like "uhm...yeah...thanks for not crushing my hand."

Point is...I look at elite lifts on this amazing board and the folks I look up to and think...man that's a ton of weight and they're super strong. But sometimes I lose perspective that the average guy walking down the street might think the same thing about me.

Was just kind of a cool little reaffirming moment while that 178lb Inch dumbbell is still anchored to my floor. My progress over the last year or so is measurable/noticeable...even if I haven't completed that particular feat yet.

You've been working hard Doug, in another year that anchor will be anchored to your hands

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You've been working hard Doug, in another year that anchor will be anchored to your hands

Thank Joe! As always, I appreciate your support and encouragement.

• Like 1

Mixed bag on pull, bize, and trize day yesterday, January 24th.

Realized I haven't done this workout with thick bar since November 6th.  Even then...it was only once with regular bars on December 5th.

Kept all the weights the same though just to see where I landed:

• All of the 3" implements felt difficult (hammer curls, pulldowns, zottman curls)
  • Down two reps on 48" x 2" lat bar pulldown
  • Tricep pushdowns felt ok (probably because I do some overhead press here and there)
  • But felt like I could go up a pound on reverse curl with the super bar (which was unexpected)

Had a good warmup with the 117lb and 145lb baby Inch dumbbells afterward.  But the 178lb Inch was still anchored to the floor (possibly due to 24 sets x 10 reps of thick bar work beforehand...hahaha).

Working theory is part of my success with the baby Inch this fall was from thick bar work (up through November 6th).

Logically...it seems like this workout offers a lot of time under tension with my hands pretty open.  Only way to find out is to work in pull, bize, and trize day more consistently the next month or so and see how it goes.

• Like 3

Great work Doug, TUT is huge.

You’re going to get that inch soon. Every week just try and get a little stronger. Before you know it it will be to lockout.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Great work Doug, TUT is huge.

You’re going to get that inch soon. Every week just try and get a little stronger. Before you know it it will be to lockout.

Thanks Joe!

• Like 1

Should have known better than to try this month's grip challenge the day after thick bar work.  Only got around 3 seconds with the Silarukov 100 (RGC 117) and a 9lb scale weight.  Thankfully I have a few days left in January to try again.

• Like 1

Home with the twins while my wife and daughter use my Ravens tickets.

Was cool with watching the game on tv until my buddy just sent me a tailgate photo of him meeting Jason Kelce.  (Apparently he parked five cars over from my buddies in lot C.)

Wonder if Taylor Swift dropped by the pickup truck, too....hahaha

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 1

Let’s go Ravens. 

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

Let’s go Ravens. 

Thanks John!  Cheers from Maryland!

01-28-2024 Baltimore Pilsner.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks John!  Cheers from Maryland!

01-28-2024 Baltimore Pilsner.jpg

I wasn't going to have any beer today.. But that looks awfully good.

• Thanks 1

Let’s hope they play better in the second half

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I wasn't going to have any beer today.. But that looks awfully good.

Just now, John Knowlton said:

Let’s hope they play better in the second half

Joe, I normally wouldn't...but this game called for it.

And John, if things don't pick up...I've got some good bourbon upstairs.  hahaha

Pregame Blob Run 01-28-2024

Had a few minutes before the Ravens - Chiefs AFC Championship game, random urge to give the half hex 120 a go, AND a new (to me) York half 55, so I set up an impromptu blob run.

The Setup:  Half York 45 & 50, 55 & 60, 65 & 75, and 80 & 85; Half Hampton 90s, Unbranded Hex 100s; Half Iron Grip 120; and Half Cap Hex 120.

The Result:  Half hex 120 is still glued to the floor.  <sigh>  But still fun.

Musical Inspiration:  "Ænima"* by Tool from the album "Ænima" released in September 1996.

* Clean "Official Video" version.

• Like 1

That was great Doug

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

That was great Doug

Thanks Joe!

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

Joe, I normally wouldn't...but this game called for it.

And John, if things don't pick up...I've got some good bourbon upstairs.  hahaha

<sigh>  looks like a bourbon night.  That game was hard to watch.