Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

SUPER COOL NEW GRIP TOYS.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, maidenfan said:

Interesting.  I have the 2” fixed thumb blaster from Arm Assassin and it works well, but I’d imagine the roller really engages the thumb - might pick one up

After owing the 2” version, I’m curious what your thoughts are on how the 2” vs 1.75” would work better as a hand simulation (for arm wrestling).  Heck, maybe even the 1.5” would be better?   Here are a few pics of my hand (2XL glove) on the 2” vs a 1.75” roller off my country crush handle

Seems that the competition favors the 1.75” and that appears to be a bit more like a two hand width measurement side to side?  I can really get my thumb much more engaged on the 1.75” though, which allows a more arm wrestling pronation downward movement 

I think for your arm wrestling approach, the 1.75" would work better based on where I see your thumb hitting.  Plus if you choose the 1.75" you'd have the added benefit of using what's currently competed.

I went with the 2" because my personal goal is thumb strength for Inch dumbbell and blob work.  (Ex. My half 100 blobs are about 4" wide at the top and flare out to 5".  So for me, wider was "better.")  My setup is about 2 1/2" wide from the plate to the edge of the roller - so just a little over typical Inch dumbbell handle width of 2 3/8".

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

SUPER COOL NEW GRIP TOYS.

Speaking of cool new grips toys John...how's that new circus dumbbell of yours working out?  Looked AWESOME!

• Like 1

thanks

It just went to its new home today. 

Someone here on the GripBoard pick it up today. so hopefully we will see it in action soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

thanks

It just went to its new home today. 

Someone here on the GripBoard pick it up today. so hopefully we will see it in action soon.

I hope so too...

• Like 1

So this happened last night while free-handing a block of wood with a router at a Girl Scout Pinewood Derby workshop.  Wood kicked out and fingers went into the spinning blade.

ER doc taped the slice on my thumb together rather than stitching it.  Index finger it was mostly a chewed up nail so nothing for him to stitch even if he wanted to.

Anyway, I got super lucky.  But depending on how things go at my follow-up a week from today...I may be doing the entire grip medley left-handed at Maryland's Strongest Hands.  🙄

03-07-2024 Hand Injury - Reduced.jpg

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

So this happened last night while free-handing a block of wood with a router at a Girl Scout Pinewood Derby workshop.  Wood kicked out and fingers went into the spinning blade.

ER doc taped the slice on my thumb together rather than stitching it.  Index finger it was mostly a chewed up nail so nothing for him to stitch even if he wanted to.

Anyway, I got super lucky.  But depending on how things go at my follow-up a week from today...I may be doing the entire grip medley left-handed at Maryland's Strongest Hands.  🙄

You certainly got lucky Doug. It could have been so much worse. Hope it heals up fast.

I work with power tools all day. No matter how careful you are accidents can and do happen. Routers and angle grinders are the two things I still get nervous using sometimes. 

Regardless I’m sure you’ll still do great at Maryland’s strongest hands.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

huhh this could've been much worse. I really hope it will heal soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Doug, that really sucks. I hope you heal up fast.

Just sitting here thinking what happened to you and I'm cringing. That must've hurt something fierce. damn pinewood derby. I have to help my niece with her pinewood derby car. I will definitely be thinking about you and what you're going through.

Get Outlook for iOS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Doug, 

Iam sorry to see and hear about your painful injury! Stay positive and heal up! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You certainly got lucky Doug. It could have been so much worse. Hope it heals up fast.

I work with power tools all day. No matter how careful you are accidents can and do happen. Routers and angle grinders are the two things I still get nervous using sometimes. 

Regardless I’m sure you’ll still do great at Maryland’s strongest hands.

Thanks Joe!  YEAH...things could have been SO much worse.  My wife told me next year I'm only allowed sandpaper...no power tools.  hahaha  Appreciate the support but can't help but think that today was supposed to be axle and saxon bar for comp prep.  Regardless...I'll just do the best I can April 27th.

3 hours ago, matek said:

huhh this could've been much worse. I really hope it will heal soon!

Thanks Matek!  At least my left is my good blob and Inch hand so I can still do what I enjoy most.

2 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug, that really sucks. I hope you heal up fast.

Just sitting here thinking what happened to you and I'm cringing. That must've hurt something fierce. damn pinewood derby. I have to help my niece with her pinewood derby car. I will definitely be thinking about you and what you're going through.

Get Outlook for iOS

Thanks John!  My thumb felt fine once the doc taped and wrapped it.  The index finger is the one that hurt in a throbbing/aching kind of way.  Not crazy bad though.  I'm talking two Tylenol a few times a day.  I've had some doozies in the past that required the good stuff.

It's my own fault for trying to do a tight radius turn on the end of a girl's car.  I could have probably just rounded over the design she drew with a palm sander and avoided this whole situation. But I was stubborn.

2 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Doug, 

Iam sorry to see and hear about your painful injury! Stay positive and heal up! 

Thanks Michael!  At least I can still practice hubs with my left hand.  They're the first series of implements in the medley.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

you'll heal up fast!

• Thanks 1

Another question: are you going to the world event (I assume in Pennsylvania)?  Looked like you were via the comments.  I'm familiar with all the events but the Finnish Ball.  It comes in 1.5" and 2 3/8" via arm assassin.  What size are they using and are there any "official" implements?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maidenfan said:

you'll heal up fast!

Thanks Morgan!

2 hours ago, maidenfan said:

Another question: are you going to the world event (I assume in Pennsylvania)?  Looked like you were via the comments.  I'm familiar with all the events but the Finnish Ball.  It comes in 1.5" and 2 3/8" via arm assassin.  What size are they using and are there any "official" implements?

I'm not sure about attending the 2024 International King Kong Grip Challenge yet.  Would be cool for me to finally make it up to Jedd's but my wedding anniversary and our oldest kid's birthday is also that month.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks Morgan!

I'm not sure about attending the 2024 International King Kong Grip Challenge yet.  Would be cool for me to finally make it up to Jedd's but my wedding anniversary and our oldest kid's birthday is also that month.

And you can’t go why?…..🤣

• Haha 1

On 3/8/2024 at 9:16 AM, Douglas Carney said:

Oh crap that sucks. Glad to hear it was something that won't have a long term effect on your grip.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kurtwpg said:

Oh crap that sucks. Glad to hear it was something that won't have a long term effect on your grip.

Thanks Kurt!  Yeah...things could have been a whole lot worse.

1.75” Nemesis Grips Rolling Thumber (50.0 lb Total) FAILED ATTEMPTS 03-12-2024

Bought a 1.75" Rolling Thumber handle from Andrew Nguyen at Nemesis Grips so I could attempt to add my name to the record list on their website.

While warming up, I pulled the same weight that I did with the 2" handle (44.8 lb total) and that felt pretty easy.  But two 25s were glued to the floor.

Not sure if I'm stubborn, vain, or both; but I wanted to pull a number beginning with 5, so I loaded up exactly 50.0 lb on the dot.  Broke the ground with this setup, but that's about it.

Thankfully I have until September 21st, the anniversary of Nemesis Grips, to try for a top three lift this year because today was not my day.

Musical Inspiration:  "My Friend of Misery" by Metallica from the album "Metallica" released in August 1991.

• Like 1

50 lb Scale Weight Rows 03-12-2024

This idea was inspired by James Retarides' (@professorcrowbar) "2-50lb scale weight pick and curl" video and Zach Mullins' "Rowing the Thomas Inch Dumbbell (172# Sahlaney Bell)" video.

I can't do either feat yet, so I combined them and rowed two 50 lb scale weights instead.

Musical Inspiration:  "Miserlou" by Agent Orange from the album "Living in Darkness" released in November 1981.

• Like 2

Blob Work – Half York 90, 95, and NextGen 100 03-12-2024

Left thumb spent after tons of Rolling Thumber work and a few scale weight rows, but I'll really be relying on this hand for the grip medley at Maryland's Strongest Hands on April 27th (especially after a woodworking accident with my right hand a few days ago).  So blob work was still a must for me today even though it wasn't really working the way I had hoped...

Half York 90 - Best lift I've gotten with this thing since I bought it from John Foelber last month.

Half York 95 - This 95 is more difficult than my NextGen 100, so breaking the ground is actually a good sign I'm clawing my way back on blobs.

Half York NextGen 100 - Left hand was spent at this point, so breaking ground sapped what little energy I had left.  Couldn't even muster a face pick after at the end which is unusual for me to miss.

Musical Inspiration:  "This Ain't Workin'" by Mucky Pup from the album "Five Guys In A Really Hot Garage" released in 1995.

• Like 4

-----  NON GRIP RELATED  -----

Need to make the treadmill desk more of a regular thing when I work from home.  Two "free" miles today...

03-14-2024 Two Mile Walk.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

-----  NON GRIP RELATED  -----

Need to make the treadmill desk more of a regular thing when I work from home.  Two "free" miles today...

03-14-2024 Two Mile Walk.jpg

Two free miles=three free beers

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

LIFTING WITH LOU FERRIGNO (plates) 03-17-2024

2" Napalm Nightmare with my left hand tonight.  180lb (added weight) took off like a rocket but 195lb sputtered and stalled.  Barely broke it off the ground a couple of times but that was it.

Musical Inspiration:  "Like a Rocket" by The Reverend Horton Heat from the album "Lucky 7" released in February 2002.

• Like 3

1.75" Rolling Thumber - 50.0 lb Total 03-17-2024

Redeemed myself a bit with that 1.75" Rolling Thumber handle I bought from Andrew Nguyen at Nemesis Grips.

Loaded up exactly 50.0 lb on the dot again for another attempt to add my name to the record list on their website.

Thankfully this time 50.0 lb flew up.  Nearly hit 52.8lb (twice) but that will need to wait for another day.

Musical Inspiration:  "Damage, Inc." by Metallica from the album "Master of Puppets" released in March 1986.

• Like 3