Tough game.

great work with the Blobs 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Tough game.

great work with the Blobs 

Thanks John!

-----NON GRIP RELATED-----

Not a "perfect" day calorie-wise, but protein intake up and carb intake down.  😇

Too much snacking last night while catching up on grip videos on YouTube.  🙄

Still working on the mindset of I'm just "watching a little tv after dinner" versus "snacking after dinner while watching a little tv."

Next level would be watching an hour of tv on the treadmill downstairs rather than sitting in my recliner and snacking.

Baby steps.  I'm undoing a decade of bad habits and still making adjustments to my old routines.  But I'll get there...

01-29-2024 Nutrition.jpg

• Like 2

Baby Inch Dumbbell Series – Fail, After Fail, After Fail 01-31-2024

I was overly confident today and just jumped right into attempting a scaled down version of an Inch Dumbbell series that  @Ben Helms posted to his Instagram.  Pretty amazing video.  He lifted an Adamski 78kg (174), Slater 78kg (178), and Sahlaney 200# (195)...all while holding a half York 100 Next Gen blob!

I didn't even roll out my Inch replica (178.6lb)...just the “Coke Can – Kettlebell” (116.8lb) and Gods of Grip Baby Inch Dumbbell (145.2lb) with a half Iron Grip 90 (and briefly a hex 100 because my right hand wasn't the problem today).  Still was fail, after fail, after fail.

Harsh reality is that between the holidays, COVID, dieting, etc...I've lost some strength and need to earn it back.

Musical Inspiration:  "Loser" by 3 Doors Down from the album "The Better Life" released in February 2000.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 4

Hey, each failed rep is one closer to the make. Keep it up!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Doug , I don’t know your are looking pretty strong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Hey, each failed rep is one closer to the make. Keep it up!

7 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Doug , I don’t know your are looking pretty strong.

I appreciate it...  Maybe I got cocky...but I thought I could just casually walk downstairs any given day and pull this off.  Surprised me a bit that I couldn't.

Just seems like back in November I could have done it.  And this is an opportunity for me to reflect on what changed so I can adjust, as needed, and get to the point that this IS a casual feat for me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Douglas Carney said:

I appreciate it...  Maybe I got cocky...but I thought I could just casually walk downstairs any given day and pull this off.  Surprised me a bit that I couldn't.

Just seems like back in November I could have done it.  And this is an opportunity for me to reflect on what changed so I can adjust, as needed, and get to the point that this IS a casual feat for me.

Cant always be in peak form.. You will be stronger than your November self before you know it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Cant always be in peak form.. You will be stronger than your November self before you know it.

Thanks Joe!

York Barbell Chest Krusher and Whitely Chest Expander 02-01-2024

York Barbell Chest Krusher - This thing came five springs and two slightly larger springs, none of which seems original.  Not too worried about being 100% vintage, but based on this trial run I need some beefier springs.  No where to go from here except up in reps.

Whitely Chest Expander - Total opposite experience (literally and figuratively) compared to the Krusher.  Two springs seemed like plenty.  But hey, putting in the work and seeing the results is what makes this fun.  Plenty of opportunity for growth with this one.

Musical Inspiration:  "When I Get Old" by the Descendents from the album "Everything Sucks" released in September 1996.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

York Barbell Chest Krusher - This thing came five springs and two slightly larger springs, none of which seems original.  Not too worried about being 100% vintage, but based on this trial run I need some beefier springs.  No where to go from here except up in reps.

Whitely Chest Expander - Total opposite experience (literally and figuratively) compared to the Krusher.  Two springs seemed like plenty.  But hey, putting in the work and seeing the results is what makes this fun.  Plenty of opportunity for growth with this one.

Musical Inspiration:  "When I Get Old" by the Descendents from the album "Everything Sucks" released in September 1996.

Nice additions!

Your going to love training with them... I had to stop using the Chest Krusher from an injury but i'm back on it. The Chest Expander really works your upper back, traps, delts, lats.... I use it in between sets.

Maybe you can buy some Baraban springs? 

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Thanks 1

Hey that York chest Krusher looks way cool. That is something that is on my wish list. You just don’t see them for sale out here very often.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

The York Krusher was also something Slim the Hammerman used quite a bit which is a pretty good endorsement in my books. They are hard to find for a decent price, though they do pop up on Ebay for crazy amounts of money sometimes. I'd love to try one out eventually but doubt I'll find many up here in Canada.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey that York chest Krusher looks way cool. That is something that is on my wish list. You just don’t see them for sale out here very often.

6 hours ago, HandsMcHanderson said:

The York Krusher was also something Slim the Hammerman used quite a bit which is a pretty good endorsement in my books. They are hard to find for a decent price, though they do pop up on Ebay for crazy amounts of money sometimes. I'd love to try one out eventually but doubt I'll find many up here in Canada.

You guys can always buy the Baraban Chest Krusher. Doesn't have the collectors value of the York Crusher, which id like to own someday also..  If I could get one for the right price.

@Douglas Carney   https://yoga-horizons.com/pdfs/Fatmans-Guide-to-Cable-Training-2.pdf

Came across this this morning.. A lot of these moves I already do. I superset them in between my grip sets... Doesn't tire my hands out so they are fresh for grip.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice additions!

Your going to love training with them... I had to stop using the Chest Krusher from an injury but i'm back on it. The Chest Expander really works your upper back, traps, delts, lats.... I use it in between sets.

Maybe you can buy some Baraban springs? 

Thanks Joe!  Great idea about looking into Baraban springs.

Found an international listing but the length says 20cm (which is nearly 8").  My springs are 6 3/4" at the outer most part of the ring and I'm concerned about having a shorter range of motion with my big ol' wingspan (because I'm 6' 3").

Think I'm going to check some parts list/catalogs and see if I can find something closer to the length in there now.  Ex. I found one list that had a 6 1/2" long spring with a max load of 93lb.  That's gotta be beefier than what I have right now...

RB Springs.jpg

Spring Sizes.png

13 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

12 hours ago, HandsMcHanderson said:

I got lucky and caught this on eBay for less than the typical crazy price (and thankfully no one bid against me).

Frankly...I had this as a saved search because Joe seemed to like his crusher so much.  But you don't get much better of an endorsement than Slim the Hammerman...

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

https://yoga-horizons.com/pdfs/Fatmans-Guide-to-Cable-Training-2.pdf

Came across this this morning.. A lot of these moves I already do. I superset them in between my grip sets... Doesn't tire my hands out so they are fresh for grip.. 

Thanks for the link.  Just saved that pdf to my laptop with my other grip stuff.

Hadn't thought about supersetting this with grip.  Currently I do a little overhead press and hammer curls here and there to get/keep things firing.  I'll have to give is a go as yet another option/variation.

Last night I did it after dumbbell decline bench press because I didn't know how much resistance to expect and wanted to be properly warmed up/as prepared as possible.  As it turns out, I had nothing to worry about until I buy beefier springs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

...  I found one list that had a 6 1/2" long spring with a max load of 93lb.  That's gotta be beefier than what I have right now...

UPDATE:  I rolled the dice and ordered five of these springs because they had the thickest wire diameter of anything that length I could readily find online.  Should arrive Wednesday and then I'll do another test with the York Krusher.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks for the link.  Just saved that pdf to my laptop with my other grip stuff.

Hadn't thought about supersetting this with grip.  Currently I do a little overhead press and hammer curls here and there to get/keep things firing.  I'll have to give is a go as yet another option/variation.

Last night I did it after dumbbell decline bench press because I didn't know how much resistance to expect and wanted to be properly warmed up/as prepared as possible.  As it turns out, I had nothing to worry about until I buy beefier springs.

Yeah, i pick like 3 moves and do each in between grip lifts..  If certain moves get too hard when i add a spring i'll stop or do perform it first with low reps with it for a set or two and drop down.   The movies i do,

Overhead Downward pull knuckles outward and inward, Back press, OHP, Archers,and curls and reverse curls sometimes... There might be a few more.. After reading this theres a few things i want to try... It by no means replaces lifting weights but i really like using it.

2 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

UPDATE:  I rolled the dice and ordered five of these springs because they had the thickest wire diameter of anything that length I could readily find online.  Should arrive Wednesday and then I'll do another test with the York Krusher.

Can't wait to hear what you have to say..  Its nice to start actually using the Krusher again myself. It bothered my injury for the longest time but now I seem to be in the clear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yeah, i pick like 3 moves and do each in between grip lifts..  If certain moves get too hard when i add a spring i'll stop or do perform it first with low reps with it for a set or two and drop down.   The movies i do,

Overhead Downward pull knuckles outward and inward, Back press, OHP, Archers,and curls and reverse curls sometimes... There might be a few more.. After reading this theres a few things i want to try... It by no means replaces lifting weights but i really like using it.

Can't wait to hear what you have to say..  Its nice to start actually using the Krusher again myself. It bothered my injury for the longest time but now I seem to be in the clear.

Definitely going to try it out!  I'll post more once I have a chance to use it.

Hoping these new springs give me some added options for resistance.

That’s cool

• Thanks 1

Inch Series Re-Test 02-07-2024

After six rounds of Pull, Bize, and Trize Day with thick bars, I wasn't sure if my grip was fried out or fired up.  So I decided to do a re-test of a scaled down version of that Inch Dumbbell series that @Ben Helms posted to his Instagram a week or so ago.

For me, it's still just the “Coke Can – Kettlebell” (116.8lb) and Gods of Grip Baby Inch Dumbbell (145.2lb) with a half Iron Grip 90.  But at least I got a decent lift on my first attempt.

Ideally this would be a nice clean lockout with a brief pause at the top, but progress is progress.

Musical Inspiration:  "Snap" by D.R.I. (Dirty Rotten Imbeciles) from the album "Dealing with It!" released in March 1985.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 3

Nice work

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice work

Thanks John! I can be a bit stubborn, so I had to give this another go... Thankfully it went up a little easier this time.

• Like 1