Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I do online yoga most nights and some mornings after rowing. I can't get into all the being one with yourself and all that namaste stuff but its very beneficial. 5-30 minutes.. Whatever i have time and energy for. 

Yeah...my wife's Peloton app has classes ranging from 5-30 minutes with categories like core workout, yoga, and stretching.  So surely I can find something decent to do...  Thanks Joe!

• Like 1

Baby Inch Dumbbells for Height - PRETEST 12-24-2023

Decided to try this after watching one of @Jedd Johnson's recent videos and listening to the rundown for World Wide Grip Battle: Brass Knuckles.

The “Coke Can – Kettlebell” (116.8lb) went up easy enough.  But I need to be more explosive to get the Gods of Grip Baby Inch Dumbbell (145.2lb) onto the 30" platform.

NOTE:  This was also my first time using "Mighty Mitts Grip Chalk" from Sorinex based on a recommendation from Day 15 of his #31DaysOfQnA.  Huge improvement over the very fine chalk I was using previously.

Musical Inspiration:  "Wizards in Winter" by Trans-Siberian Orchestra from the album "The Lost Christmas Eve" released in October 2004.

• Like 5

Strong work, Doug.

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

NOTE:  This was also my first time using "Mighty Mitts Grip Chalk" from Sorinex based on a recommendation from Day 15 of his #31DaysOfQnA.  Huge improvement over the very fine chalk I was using previously.

I never used that specific chalk, but I also realized a while ago that too fine chalk is horrible for pinch and thick bar. It still absorbs moisture of course, but I think if the particles get too small, they fill up the grooves of the hands and your fingerprint becomes "too flat" (if that makes sense). And in the end it just reduces friction. 

• Like 1

Almost Doug , my wife thinks I am crazy for yelling at my screen “ come on Doug you can do it” nice shirt to .music so so not a big fan of Trans-Siberian Orchestra. But it is fitting for the season. Have a great Christmas to you and your family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Almost Doug , my wife thinks I am crazy for yelling at my screen “ come on Doug you can do it” nice shirt to .music so so not a big fan of Trans-Siberian Orchestra. But it is fitting for the season. Have a great Christmas to you and your family.

HA!  Thanks for cheering me on, John!  And yeah...today's music choice was purely seasonal.  Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Edited by Douglas Carney

4 hours ago, matek said:

Strong work, Doug.

I never used that specific chalk, but I also realized a while ago that too fine chalk is horrible for pinch and thick bar. It still absorbs moisture of course, but I think if the particles get too small, they fill up the grooves of the hands and your fingerprint becomes "too flat" (if that makes sense). And in the end it just reduces friction. 

Makes sense.  I couldn't quite "put my finger on it" but my old superfine chalk actually felt slicker at times than no chalk.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Makes sense.  I couldn't quite "put my finger on it" but my old superfine chalk actually felt slicker at times than no chalk.

My David Horne chalk can get like that. Its very fine. It works really good with bending. When my hands are sweaty it gets caked up.

But i've learned how to get a good base of chalk on my hands now actually and its been good. I'll buy some more if i order from him again.  But i would really like to try some Mighty Mitts chalk.

• Like 1

Great video Doug I love the dual angle of your videos it really adds to the viewing pleasure. The music choice today it kind of reminded me of an old silent movie 😀.  I think you would have got the height without the box, I did wonder if it put you off a bit knowing that was the task. I know you will get the lift very soon. 

I always wonder about chalk as well. Will watch day 15 now to see what Jedd mentions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Busa said:

Great video Doug I love the dual angle of your videos it really adds to the viewing pleasure. The music choice today it kind of reminded me of an old silent movie 😀.  I think you would have got the height without the box, I did wonder if it put you off a bit knowing that was the task. I know you will get the lift very soon. 

I always wonder about chalk as well. Will watch day 15 now to see what Jedd mentions.

Thank you!  I started doing the dual angle to keep a better eye on my technique/form (and to watch out for any incidental contact or potential perceived bracing).  But now that I've done a few videos like that...I've decided I kind of like the multi-angle because it makes it a bit more interesting to watch.

As for the box, I think I had a bit of mental block due to it.  For example: (a) having to move the dumbbell over top of the box (without it touching my body) was an added level of complexity and (b) the little bit of adjustment on my foot placement (due to the box being a bit in my way) made it feel different.

Literally just assembled that 30" box (which I caught a deal on plus free shipping) and recorded my first tries with it.  Rewatching it I'm like - surely I could have made it the last little bit.  So next time should go much better because I know I have it in me to do it...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thank you!  I started doing the dual angle to keep a better eye on my technique/form (and to watch out for any incidental contact or potential perceived bracing).  But now that I've done a few videos like that...I've decided I kind of like the multi-angle because it makes it a bit more interesting to watch.

As for the box, I think I had a bit of mental block due to it.  For example: (a) having to move the dumbbell over top of the box (without it touching my body) was an added level of complexity and (b) the little bit of adjustment on my foot placement (due to the box being a bit in my way) made it feel different.

Literally just assembled that 30" box (which I caught a deal on plus free shipping) and recorded my first tries with it.  Rewatching it I'm like - surely I could have made it the last little bit.  So next time should go much better because I know I have it in me to do it...

You definitely  have it in you now.  Just like you said, its probably just part technique and part mental because this was your first time with the box...  

I think next time you do this fresh, find your stance and get your CNS fired up, do a few sets with the lighter inch and you got this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You definitely  have it in you now.  Just like you said, its probably just part technique and part mental because this was your first time with the box...  

I think next time you do this fresh, find your stance and get your CNS fired up, do a few sets with the lighter inch and you got this.

Thanks Joe!

Baby Inch Dumbbells for Height – RETEST 12-28-2023

Missing the 30" Box during my PRETEST four days ago seemed like a mental block.

So I reset and added a 2½” Garage Strength Foam Balance Pad for the “Coke Can – Kettlebell” (116.8lb) lift for height.

Maybe it was only my imagination, but lifting the Gods of Grip Baby Inch Dumbbell (145.2lb) to a 30” Box seemed easier afterwards with just that little adjustment.

NOTE:  The next thing I need to work on is that bit of brushing against my body.  I cannot have any incidental/accidental contact for this to count as a proper lift.  But at least I got my mind and body on the same page as far as this lift for height being doable...

Musical Inspiration:  SiriusXM Turbo featuring "The Game" by Disturbed from the album "The Sickness" released in March 2000 and "I'm So Sick" by Flyleaf from the album "Flyleaf" released in October 2005.

• Like 4

Great work Doug. Who cares if its your imagination or not, as long as it felt easier! 

You should order that full size inch now and just start doing negatives with it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

killer video Doug

Thanks John!  How are things going with those awesome pinch blocks and handmade dumbbell?  That's all I'd want to lift if I had them in my gym...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Great work Doug. Who cares if its your imagination or not, as long as it felt easier! 

You should order that full size inch now and just start doing negatives with it.

Thanks Joe!  It still surprises me how much of this is mental.  Thankfully I was able to reboot.  hahaha

As for the full size Inch...it's like you read my mind.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks Joe!  It still surprises me how much of this is mental.  Thankfully I was able to reboot.  hahaha

As for the full size Inch...it's like you read my mind.

DO IT! 

• Like 1

-----NON GRIP RELATED-----

Working on building back healthy habits that I started earlier in 2023.

That has me thinking back to 2005 when I made the decision to start training for my first half marathon.  Dropped 50lb and felt worlds better.  (see photo comparison below)

Things got a little off track when our first child was born and again during the pandemic...but I know I can do it.

Not a big fan of running these days (and the beating my knees take)...but that period of my life is a reminder of the benefit of training consistently and watching my calorie/fat/carb intake.

So along with my grip goals for 2024...there are also some general diet and exercise strategies for me to implement as well.

2005 Transformation.png

• Like 4

Hey Doug. Nice set of goals easily obtainable. Remember, being consistent is everything?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

-----NON GRIP RELATED-----

Working on building back healthy habits that I started earlier in 2023.

That has me thinking back to 2005 when I made the decision to start training for my first half marathon.  Dropped 50lb and felt worlds better.  (see photo comparison below)

Things got a little off track when our first child was born and again during the pandemic...but I know I can do it.

Not a big fan of running these days (and the beating my knees take)...but that period of my life is a reminder of the benefit of training consistently and watching my calorie/fat/carb intake.

So along with my grip goals for 2024...there are also some general diet and exercise strategies for me to implement as well.

2005 Transformation.png

You got this Doug.. A goal of mine also,I gotta find a way to clean up my diet also.  Dont care for sweets, its beer and fatty meats.🤤

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You got this Doug.. A goal of mine also,I gotta find a way to clean up my diet also.  Dont care for sweets, its beer and fatty meats.🤤

Thanks Joe!  For me it's beer and fatty meats; PLUS wine, cheese, and chocolate; AND this time of year, egg nog spiked with Captain Morgan and the occasional holiday cookie.  🤪

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

First day of 2024 and a fresh start for grip goals this year.

Top of the list is a level lift to lockout with a full Thomas Inch replica dumbbell.

Also high up on the list (and a bit complementary to the Inch) is bringing up my Axle and Saxon Bar numbers.

• My first two grip comps were awesome experiences, but it stung a bit to sit out as the elite athletes raised the bar.
  • Looking at the Heavy Hands spreadsheet, I need to break 300lb on the 2 3/8” FBBC Andrews Axle.
  • I think it's doable because re-watching my lifts/attempts (again) it was my body that failed at 278.8lb, not my grip.
  • Similarly, while 186.3lb on 3" Saxon at Heavy Hands was a huge improvement from Maryland's Strongest Hands on May 20, 2023, I need to break 200lb.
  • I think it's doable on the bar used at Heavy Hands because it's seasoned better than my bar at home.  (For context, I broke 188.2lb off the ground at home last week.)
    • NOTE:  I think the rounded corners on the bar used at Maryland's Strongest Hands will affect my total.
    • Top lifts there were "only" around 215lb compared with @Ben Helms pulling 261.3lb at Heavy Hands.  (And for a more apples to apples comparison, @stranger lifted just over 176lb at Maryland's Strongest Hands and 221.3lb at Heavy Hands.)

Lower priority but also on the list is cleaning up/solidifying my blob/block weight lifts.

• In my mind, there's a giant asterisk by my name for the "50# York (Fatman, Blue Blob, Next Gen, Blob50 included)" and "Legacy York Half 110" on the "Block Weight Lifts" page of the GripBoard because I used a Next Gen as my 50# York and I did a face pick for my 110 lift.
  • I also expect to see a Fat Man during the grip medley at Maryland's Strongest Hands 2024.
  • So it seems natural to put straight up lifts of the Fat Man and 110 as goals for 2024.   And frankly, I want them to become lifts I can do any decent day...not just once a year in a comp.

Suppose I should also include training V-bar lifts (a weakness of mine), working up to a CoC #3 for Silver Bullet (another weakness) and hubbing anything @lder puts in his grip medley (which I never really train).  But these are near the bottom because I'm mainly doing them for upcoming comps versus any real love for these lifts.  (No offense to gripper guys like @Vinnie (who I look forward to seeing April 27th) but they're just not my jam.)

Finally, back burner but still somewhat on the list because I like the idea is deadlifting an inverted 65lb York roundhead and/or 50lb York globe dumbbell.  I'd also like to face pick my Legacy York Half 115 simply because my hand can just get enough purchase on it to make it feasible.

• NOTE:  These are totally just "nifty galifty" things for the fun of it as long as they don't interfere with my goals above.  Nothing in this last set of items is urgent or important in the grand scheme of things.
  • Like 9

Doug YOU CAN DO IT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Doug YOU CAN DO IT

Thanks John!  Happy New Year!

Perhaps this counts as accessory work for my Axle and Saxon lifts...  🤔

Either way...today I did the same 20 minute hike workout on the treadmill that I did yesterday - but this time I wore my 60lb weight vest.

Definitely felt it during the sections where she ramped the incline up to 12.5%.  🤪

Hike 01-03-2024.jpg

• Like 2