Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

V–Bar Deadlift PRE–TEST 11-14-2023

Inspired by a current Armlifting USA online contest deadlifting with 1½” Monkee Grips ropes.

(a) I happen to have a pair of those ropes, (b) I was curious how much I could lift with them, and (c) I need to work on my vertical bar (V-Bar) lifts

But I decided to start with something larger/more difficult and work my way up from there...

Here are the results:
  •  2½” V–Bar 255lb - Decent Lift
  •  2½” V–Bar 277lb - Broke Ground
  •  2” V–Bar 305lb - Decent Lift
  •  2” V–Bar 327lb - FAIL
  •  1¼” V–Bar 327lb - Decent Lift
  •  1½” Rope 327lb - Decent Lift
  •  1¼” V–Bar 355lb - Unintended Leg Contact
  •  1½” Rope 355lb - FAIL

Not exactly a "Fabulous Disaster" but certainly something for me to work on.

Musical Inspiration:  "Fabulous Disaster" by Exodus from the album "Fabulous Disaster" released in January 1989.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

V–Bar Deadlift PRE–TEST 11-14-2023

Inspired by a current Armlifting USA online contest deadlifting with 1½” Monkee Grips ropes.

(a) I happen to have a pair of those ropes, (b) I was curious how much I could lift with them, and (c) I need to work on my vertical bar (V-Bar) lifts

But I decided to start with something larger/more difficult and work my way up from there...

Here are the results:
  •  2½” V–Bar 255lb - Decent Lift
  •  2½” V–Bar 277lb - Broke Ground
  •  2” V–Bar 305lb - Decent Lift
  •  2” V–Bar 327lb - FAIL
  •  1¼” V–Bar 327lb - Decent Lift
  •  1½” Rope 327lb - Decent Lift
  •  1¼” V–Bar 355lb - Unintended Leg Contact
  •  1½” Rope 355lb - FAIL

Not exactly a "Fabulous Disaster" but certainly something for me to work on.

Musical Inspiration:  "Fabulous Disaster" by Exodus from the album "Fabulous Disaster" released in January 1989.

Awesome lifting, some very strong lifts in there. The monkey ropes thing sounds good, I'll have to try it sometime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Awesome lifting, some very strong lifts in there. The monkey ropes thing sounds good, I'll have to try it sometime.

Thanks so much!  If you're interested in a pair of ropes from Monkee Grips, at the end of the "Monkee Grips Deadlift Online Contest 2023" video Riccardo Magni says to "use the code armlifting USA to get 10% off and free shipping."

• Like 1

KILLER LIFTS Doug 

music is cool to

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

KILLER LIFTS Doug 

music is cool to

Thanks John!  How's that dumbbell project going?

its still on the work bench, I need to get shielding gas for the welder. its just been to busy hear at work.

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Like 1

Gods of Grip Baby Inch Dumbbell Plus Two 30lb Scale Weights (205.2lb Total) 11-17-2023

Been in the back of my mind that I wanted to start adding weight to the Gods of Grip Baby Inch Dumbbell to keep building up my strength.

Today it was strapping two 30lb scale weights to it...with a brief pause at the top of the ride.

Musical Inspiration: "Got the Life" by Korn from the album "FOLLOW The LEADEЯ" released in August 1998.

• Like 2

Decline Bench Press With Two 30lb Scale Weights 11-17-2023

Got the idea for this from David Horne bench pressing a natural stone for reps.

Had the 30lb scale weights out for a dumbbell lift, so I figured why not roll out the bench and give it a try.

Musical Inspiration:  "Shoots and Ladders" by Korn from the album "KoЯn" released in October 1994.

• Like 3

Hey Doug way cool , very creative , great forum 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug way cool , very creative , great forum 

Thanks so much, John!  I'd like to work up to maybe my half 90 Hampton block weights or something.  Think that's reasonably achievable with a lot of work...

• Like 1

IronMind Silver Bullet PRE–TEST 11-18-2023

Yesterday John Foelber announced the date and events for Maryland's Strongest Hands 2024 on The GripBoard.

First item on the list is "Ironmind Silver Bullet Hold" and I haven't trained grippers in months.  (And even then...I never really trained them regularly or practiced proper technique.)

Time for another pre-test to see where I'm at right now!

Heaviest gripper I could really set and hold with my 9lb scale weight was a Cannon PowerWorks Standard Gold (RGC 96).

Going to take a lot of work to be able to use a Captains of Crush #3 in April...

Musical Inspiration:  "Crawling in the Dark" by Hoobastank from the album "Hoobastank" released in November 2001.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

IronMind Silver Bullet PRE–TEST 11-18-2023

Yesterday John Foelber announced the date and events for Maryland's Strongest Hands 2024 on The GripBoard.

First item on the list is "Ironmind Silver Bullet Hold" and I haven't trained grippers in months.  (And even then...I never really trained them regularly or practiced proper technique.)

Time for another pre-test to see where I'm at right now!

Heaviest gripper I could really set and hold with my 9lb scale weight was a Cannon PowerWorks Standard Gold (RGC 96).

Going to take a lot of work to be able to use a Captains of Crush #3 in April...

Musical Inspiration:  "Crawling in the Dark" by Hoobastank from the album "Hoobastank" released in November 2001.

It's good you're using a weight heavier than the 2.5kg for the actual event.  I should probably do that with the training I've started for North American Championships. It will feel like nothing on competition day. 

Nice work.  🤘

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dubyagrip said:

It's good you're using a weight heavier than the 2.5kg for the actual event.  I should probably do that with the training I've started for North American Championships. It will feel like nothing on competition day. 

Nice work.  🤘

Thanks brother.  Got that idea from an old @Jedd Johnson YouTube video, so he deserves the credit.

Edited by Douglas Carney

40 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks brother.  Got that idea from an old @Jedd Johnson YouTube video, so he deserves the credit.

When I get home from traveling this week, I'm going to see which is the heaviest gripper I can silver bullet a 45lb plate on.  I wish my brain didn't work this way.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, dubyagrip said:

When I get home from traveling this week, I'm going to see which is the heaviest gripper I can silver bullet a 45lb plate on.  I wish my brain didn't work this way.

I found an old Jedd video where he did "Silver Bullet Holds and attempts with 25, 35, 45 and 50lbs."

Obviously I didn't jump quite that much...  😵‍💫

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Offhand IronMind Silver Bullet – 20lb Dumbbell Experiment 11-19-2023

This experiment originated as a discussion on The GripBoard.

-  Offhand because I did Silver Bullet yesterday with my better gripper hand.

-  20lb dumbbell because I started with 45lb and couldn't really get it set...same for 40lb.  35lb and 30lb almost immediately ripped out...and at that point fatigue was setting in, so I dropped down to 20lb.

-  Cannon PowerWorks Standard Tin (Sn) (51 RGC) because that is the lightest gripper with decent knurling that I own.  I have a couple Captains of Crush with lower ratings but they feel super smooth in comparison.

Musical Inspiration:  "Institutionalized" by Suicidal Tendencies from the album "Suicidal Tendencies" released in July 1983.

• Like 3

Nice work Doug 

killer inspirational music

• Thanks 1

On 11/20/2023 at 10:01 AM, John Knowlton said:

Nice work Doug 

killer inspirational music

Thanks John!

• Like 1

Kids' cousins are about to come over and I suspect my oldest daughter (10) will want to show them the gym.

Sunday, after running a 5K in the morning AND walking through a museum*, she still had the energy to arm wrestle her oldest cousin while waiting for the food to come out at dinnertime.  (Kinda proud she won a couple times because he's 9 months older and a gifted baseball player--so definitely no slouch.)

THEN she and her cousin spotted a couple full beer kegs near the back of the restaurant and tried lifting one.  I looked up the weight afterward (160lb) and the thing was probably as much as the two of them put together.  But they each got one side off the ground a couple inches before I stopped them (to avoid a potential hernia or back injury right before Thanksgiving).

THEN on the way home on the metro train my daughter jumped up to grab a bar people hold while standing and proceeded to do a chin-up (with mostly good, strict form).

Anyway...point is...she seems really curious about my weights and is probably getting to the point where I can start teaching her some basic exercises.  So I need to start doing research on coaching kids to see what's even appropriate for her age and ability.

NOTE:  I feel like a bit of a bad influence because after seeing them struggle, I picked up the keg with one hand and shrugged it a few times to show them it wasn't impossible.  But it just made them want to try it again rather than making the point that it takes time and hard work to get up that level.  🙄

* For context, I got in 15K steps walking around downtown DC...and I didn't run a 5K in the morning.  My daughter got some serious mileage Sunday.  😮

11-19-2023 DC Museum - Durham Cousins.png

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Kids' cousins are about to come over and I suspect my oldest daughter (10) will want to show them the gym.

Sunday, after running a 5K in the morning AND walking through a museum*, she still had the energy to arm wrestle her oldest cousin while waiting for the food to come out at dinnertime.  (Kinda proud she won a couple times because he's 9 months older and a gifted baseball player--so definitely no slouch.)

THEN she and her cousin spotted a couple full beer kegs near the back of the restaurant and tried lifting one.  I looked up the weight afterward (160lb) and the thing was probably as much as the two of them put together.  But they each got one side off the ground a couple inches before I stopped them (to avoid a potential hernia or back injury right before Thanksgiving).

THEN on the way home on the metro train my daughter jumped up to grab a bar people hold while standing and proceeded to do a chin-up (with mostly good, strict form).

Anyway...point is...she seems really curious about my weights and is probably getting to the point where I can start teaching her some basic exercises.  So I need to start doing research on coaching kids to see what's even appropriate for her age and ability.

NOTE:  I feel like a bit of a bad influence because after seeing them struggle, I picked up the keg with one hand and shrugged it a few times to show them it wasn't impossible.  But it just made them want to try it again rather than making the point that it takes time and hard work to get up that level.  🙄

* For context, I got in 15K steps walking around downtown DC...and I didn't run a 5K in the morning.  My daughter got some serious mileage Sunday.  😮

11-19-2023 DC Museum - Durham Cousins.png

Fitness and family. Doesn’t get much better or more fun. 

• Like 1

Hey Doug nice lift 

nice and easy 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug nice lift 

nice and easy 

Thanks again, John!

9 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Fitness and family. Doesn’t get much better or more fun. 

My brother-in-law and I were hanging out this evening before our wives got back with the kids from the playground and he asked how I got into grip....

Next thing you know we're lifting block weights and working our way up from a half 35lb hex in five pound increments.  I gave him some pointers here and there and was super impressed when he got the half 75lb York roundhead!

I was trying to put that into context for him (and why I thought it was awesome) so I pulled up Brian Shaw's "SUPER GRIP GAUNTLET" video on YouTube (which helped spark my interest) to let him watch some really strong dudes struggle a bit with these deceptively humbling blocks of iron.

Sure enough after that bit of rest and inspiration HE PULLED A HALF 80LB YORK ROUNDHEAD!!!

So then I showed him the skinnier half 90lb Iron Grip and he pulled that too!

Very cool stuff tonight.  And who knows, maybe he'll get hooked like I did.  Either way...it was cool hanging out and lifting with him tonight.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

My brother-in-law and I were hanging out this evening before our wives got back with the kids from the playground and he asked how I got into grip....

Next thing you know we're lifting block weights and working our way up from a half 35lb hex in five pound increments.  I gave him some pointers here and there and was super impressed when he got the half 75lb York roundhead!

I was trying to put that into context for him (and why I thought it was awesome) so I pulled up Brian Shaw's "SUPER GRIP GAUNTLET" video on YouTube (which helped spark my interest) to let him watch some really strong dudes struggle a bit with these deceptively humbling blocks of iron.

Sure enough after that bit of rest and inspiration HE PULLED A HALF 80LB YORK ROUNDHEAD!!!

So then I showed him the skinnier half 90lb Iron Grip and he pulled that too!

Very cool stuff tonight.  And who knows, maybe he'll get hooked like I did.  Either way...it was cool hanging out and lifting with him tonight.

Thats really cool. I hope he does get hooked on it. 

• Thanks 1