Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

“Coke Can – Kettlebell” Inch Dumbbell & Magnets 131.8lb Total 09-21-2023

This dumbbell is my new favorite grip tool.  So happy to have it in my collection.

Testing the waters a bit tonight to see how I may fare with heavier weights.

Leftie was up for the challenge of throwing on some magnets but rightie wasn't feeling it.

Musical Inspiration:  "A.D.I./Horror of It All" by Anthrax from the album "Among the Living" released in March 1987.

• Like 2

Hey Doug Happy Friday 

way cool lift

that coke can dumbell is bad a$$

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Coke Can – Kettlebell” Inch Dumbbell and Hex 100 Block Weights Holds for Time 09-22-2023

Today was axle and saxon bar work...but I wanted to do something with the new baby inch dumbbell because I enjoy it so much.

Landed on holds for time as today's experiment.  And since I had the crash pad out I went ahead and did the hex 100s as well to get in some block weight work.

Musical Inspiration:  "Battering Ram" by Black Label Society from the album "1919 Eternal" released in March 2002.

• Like 3

Hey Doug, that’s pretty cool. Super taxing on your grip.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug, that’s pretty cool. Super taxing on your grip.

I could actually feel it a little tonight at an outdoor concert with the kids.  Nothing bad.  Just like...I knew I got a good workout today...my hands worked today (if that makes sense).

• Like 1

A good work out and family time in the same day. that’s a good day

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

A good work out and family time in the same day. that’s a good day

Couldn't have said it any better...

Got my grip "homework" in the mail today - two DVDs from @Jedd Johnson .

Looking forward to the Inch Dumbbell training.  Loving the new dumbbell and no time like the present to develop good technique.

Grippers is the opposite situation.  I need to unlearn all my bad habits and focus on proper setting technique.

Jedd Johnson DVDs.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Looking forward to the Inch Dumbbell training.  Loving the new dumbbell and no time like the present to develop good technique.

Grippers is the opposite situation.  I need to unlearn all my bad habits and focus on proper setting technique.

Jedd Johnson DVDs.jpg

Good luck with your training! I'm sure those dvds are great.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Jedd Johnson DVDs.jpg

I bought Crush! a while back. lots of good info. I need to watch it again soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Good luck with your training! I'm sure those dvds are great.

46 minutes ago, Charles Jones said:

I bought Crush! a while back. lots of good info. I need to watch it again soon.

Appreciate the feedback and support!

I started watching a digital download of "Basics of Grip Training and Strongmanism" this weekend and plan on watching it a second time with pen & paper handy to take notes.

Lots of good info in that one and I'm sure these DVDs will be just as helpful for my training.

• Like 1

“Coke Can – Kettlebell” Inch Dumbbell Plus PlateMate and Bare Steel Equipment Magnets 09-26-2023

Loaded up the baby inch dumbbell with a ridiculous amount of magnets.

Right hand pulled 136.8lb and lefty worked up to 147.0lb.

Musical Inspiration:  "Fight Fire With Fire" by Metallica from the album "Ride the Lightning" released in July 1984

• Like 3

“Coke Can – Kettlebell” Inch Dumbbell Plus York Next Gen Blob 09-26-2023

For my first combo lift with the baby inch dumbbell, I tried to channel the old school energy and intensity @Jedd Johnson described in a recent interview on The Grip Show.  This one is a little less subdued than my previous videos...

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

great lifts Doug

Thanks Joe!  Might have to add lifting the full Inch to my (very) long term goal list.

• Like 1

Hey Doug , fantastic lift , supper strong 💪.

way cool just gos to show how hard work pays off,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug , fantastic lift , supper strong 💪.

way cool just gos to show how hard work pays off,

Thanks for the kind words, John,  Really appreciate your continued support.

19 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks Joe!  Might have to add lifting the full Inch to my (very) long term goal list.

To me its the ultimate grip feat.

Any "inch dumbbell" that weighs more that people lift goes into the unbelievable category.

You should, and you are already well on your way there.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

To me its the ultimate grip feat.

Any "inch dumbbell" that weighs more that people lift goes into the unbelievable category.

You should, and you are already well on your way there.

Thanks Joe!  It's been an evolution for me:

• Beginning of this year my main focus was on finally lifting my York Next Gen blob--hardly anything else.
  • And when I did Maryland's Strongest Hands in May, I wrote off the Inch in the Grip Medley because I never trained it.  Made a feeble attempt after the comp and was like...nope.  Not happening.
  • But then I had to train single hand stuff for Heavy Hands AND got a Baby Inch to take home...
  • ...and now after having some time with it I'm like...maybe the full Inch is doable.

I mean...I had heard of the Inch.  I watched plenty of videos with the Inch (or heavier).  And I know it's an awesome achievement.  But it never seemed within reach for me so I never listed it as a goal.

So it's kind of a major breakthrough in my mindset these past three weeks that I'm adding it to my bucket list.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 2

I’m sure you can. There is no reason you can’t. It just will take a long time. I’ve been training real hard for over a year now. I’d like to think I can get the baby inch in an another year. And the inch in a year or two after that.  

Im determined. Especially coming from someone who never really lifted heavy weights but I’ll get it and I know you will too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I’m sure you can. There is no reason you can’t. It just will take a long time. I’ve been training real hard for over a year now. I’d like to think I can get the baby inch in an another year. And the inch in a year or two after that.  

Im determined. Especially coming from someone who never really lifted heavy weights but I’ll get it and I know you will too.

Thanks Joe!  Nice to be on this Inch journey with you.  We'll both get there one day.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks Joe!  Nice to be on this Inch journey with you.  We'll both get there one day.

Yes. Loser buys the beer. That way we both win

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yes. Loser buys the beer. That way we both win

🍻

• Like 1

“Coke Can – Kettlebell” Inch Dumbbell plus 30lb Scale Weights and Magnets (201.2lb Total) 10-01-2023

Still loving this new dumbbell!

Today's experiment was going all out heavy.  Had the random idea to strap two 30lb scale weights and then add enough magnets to bring it up over 200lb total.

Quick Note:  Because the weight was concentrated at the bottom, this dumbbell did not rotate like the Thomas Inch replicas and I cannot draw any direct comparisons or predictions about those dumbbells.  Today's experiment was simply about me using the equipment I have available for developing my grip and improving my general physical preparedness.

Musical Inspiration:  "March of the S.O.D." and "Sargent D and the S.O.D." from the album "Speak English or Die" by Stormtroopers of Death released in August 1985.

• Like 4