Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

Fantastic nice view .

knee is doing well ,

enjoy your vacation 

Happy to hear the knee is doing well, John!

• Like 1

There was a playground by the start of the trail head we hiked yesterday. Near the end of playing with the kids I did a couple sets of a couple pull-ups on the monkey bars.

May not sound like much, but this has been a journey for me this year. In January I weighed 280lb and could hardly do 6 sets of 5 with 140lb of assistance from a Rogue pullup band.

Now I'm 255lb and can at least muster a few from a dead hang without a band.

The other point is my hands had a nice sheen of sunscreen and sweat from the hike. But grip strength wasn't the challenge...it's about building back GPP/baseline strength.

Not that I may ever be as fit as I was 30 years ago on active duty. But I'm working to get in better shape.  It's all part of the journey in this thread.

• Like 4

Hey that’s cool 😎 do what you can do ,just be better than you were yesterday 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gripper Workout 08-22-2023

Silarukov 100 (RGC 117) - Two failed attempts

Cannon PowerWorks Standard Iron (RGC 135) and IronMind Silver Bullet (No weight added)

https://youtu.be/1Bqj5sxKC94

• Like 4

Too many s'mores on vacation and I may end up in the 120+ class for Heavy Hands...

20230822_211724.thumb.jpg.c619ab702a7273d9363468a8dc3f6789.jpg

20230822_211709.jpg

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 4

Way cool video 

looks like a great vacation 

hope you are enjoying your time 

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

some more s'mores please..

As much as i liked them growing up i had much more fun burning them and lighting sticks on fire... Hope you are having a great time.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Way cool video 

looks like a great vacation 

hope you are enjoying your time 

Thanks John! Great time with the kids before school starts back up next week. Nice way to finish their summer break.

9 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

some more s'mores please..

As much as i liked them growing up i had much more fun burning them and lighting sticks on fire... Hope you are having a great time.

Ha! Same here, Joe! I'm more into building the fire and roasting them for the kids than actually eating them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Douglas Carney said:

Ha! Same here, Joe! I'm more into building the fire and roasting them for the kids than actually eating them.

Yup. Doesn’t get much better than beers and a cigar around a fire with good company.

maybe it’s the blacksmith in me but I love fire.

• Like 2

Weighed 251.8lb this morning.  Apparently I didn't go completely off the rails on vacation.  May have even lost a pound or two...  😇

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Weighed 251.8lb this morning.  Apparently I didn't go completely off the rails on vacation.  May have even lost a pound or two...  😇

it’s amazing how that happens actually 

• Like 1

Not all days are "feat" days...  08-27-2023

York Legacy 115 was still glued to the floor despite many, many tries.

No inverted York 65 roundhead deadlift today.  Same lack of movement on the York 50 globe dumbbell.

But I was able to load up the 40lb globe dumbbell with some magnets to lift 47.4lb total.

Rightie broke the loaded up Iron Grip half 120 (74lb even) off the ground today.  Might be a PR right handed.

And at that point both hands were done so I just held the hex 100s for time to finish things out.  Not all days are "feat" days...

Musical Inspiration: "Ghosts of Past Failures" by Shadows Fall from the album "The War Within" released in September 2004.

• Like 4

Relived my mid-20s 'til about midnight at a Smashing Pumpkins concert last night.

Back to feeling 52 again after the alarm went off at 6:00AM this morning...hahaha

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Relived my mid-20s 'til about midnight at a Smashing Pumpkins concert last night.

Back to feeling 52 again after the alarm went off at 6:00AM this morning...hahaha

Great live band. I saw them about 15 16 years ago.. wow time flies

lol I know the feeling. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Great live band. I saw them about 15 16 years ago.. wow time flies

lol I know the feeling. 

Amazing show...  Can't believe they formed 35 years ago and still rockin' this hard!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Amazing show...  Can't believe they formed 35 years ago and still rockin' this hard!

They where a little before my time but where still really popular when i was a kid and into my teens. Yeah its nuts.

Its hard to hear them, Greenday and the Cranberries on classic rock channels now.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

They where a little before my time but where still really popular when i was a kid and into my teens. Yeah its nuts.

Its hard to hear them, Greenday and the Cranberries on classic rock channels now.

Greenday was one of the bands that made me feel old when I heard them on Classic Rock Big 100 in DC.

I was like...but they just came out!  And then I did the math...hahaha

• Like 1

Scale Weights Plus Magnets (150.4lb Total) 09-02-2023

Last workout before Heavy Hands next Saturday.  Focus was axle deadlifts today.

After soaking through my new shirt from Rob at https://www.vintageweightspgh.com/, I still had a little in the tank and decided to see how heavy I could go with my vintage scale weights.

Lockout wasn't exactly stellar looking, but the answer was 150.4lb total...with the caveat that I intentionally overloaded my finger side to allow my thumb side to keep up.

Musical Inspiration:  "Zero" by Smashing Pumpkins from the album "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" released in October 1995.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 6

Cool music 

Doug, dude that’s a awesome lift

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Cool music 

Doug, dude that’s a awesome lift

Thanks John!  This was the last song played at the Smashing Pumpkins concert I went to Thursday night (and an old favorite of mine from the mid to late 90s).

• Like 1

POV Sled Pull 3x45s for 20ft' 12-05-2021

Need to work in more rope based grip training. Haven't done anything in nearly two years except tricep extensions.

Maybe start with something like sled pulls and then work my way back up to pull-ups.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

POV Sled Pull 3x45s for 20ft' 12-05-2021

Need to work in more rope based grip training. Haven't done anything in nearly two years except tricep extensions.

Maybe start with something like sled pulls and then work my way back up to pull-ups.

nice work Doug, your Army strong so i'm sure even if your a little rusty with the ropes it will come back.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

nice work Doug, your Army strong so i'm sure even if your a little rusty with the ropes it will come back.

Thanks Joe!  I may wear my olive green "Rogue Deuce" shirt to Heavy Hands to remind me I'm Army strong.

• Like 2

Fat Gripz/Trap Bar FAILED EXPERIMENT 08-31-2022

@dubyagrip and @ZRMMA's discussion of 3" axles on The Grip Show got me thinking about my one failed experiment with Fat Gripz on my Trap Bar.

Found the old videos and photos from a year ago.  Horrible camera work but hopefully you get the idea.  Maybe I'll give this another go after Heavy Hands.

Musical Inspiration:  "All Systems Fail" by The Varukers from the "Die For Your Government / All Systems Fail" 7" released in 1983.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 3