Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

21 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

I'll give Luke a little time to see this and hopefully clarify for us.  But I can follow up with a text, if needed, and share what I learn.

Response from @Lucasraymond this morning:  Knockbar is on the loading pin..crossbar is on uprights. Fiberglass reflectors are the best item IMO and only cost $4-5

Really appreciate his quick and helpful reply.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

Not exactly grip related, but still pretty cool.  Added Zach Even - Esh's new book, Iron Journeys, to my "summer reading list" after watching @VintageWeightsPGH's interview on YouTube the other day.

Signed Iron Journeys.png

I had a feeling he’d sign one. Great inscription! I really enjoyed Iron Journeys. A good reminder of old school training methods for those of us that have been lifting for a while, and a great book for those just starting out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VintageWeightsPGH said:

I had a feeling he’d sign one. Great inscription! I really enjoyed Iron Journeys. A good reminder of old school training methods for those of us that have been lifting for a while, and a great book for those just starting out. 

Thanks for encouraging me to reach out.  Zach was very cool about making this happen.  Really appreciate it.

• Like 1

Globe 40 & 45 and Twin 90s + Magnets 08-03-2023

Little bit of work lifting globe dumbbells tonight.

Followed up with half 90lb dumbbells and some magnets.

Musical Inspiration:  "Tom Sawyer" by Rush from the album "Exit... Stage Left" released in October 1981.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Musical Inspiration:  "Tom Sawyer" by Rush from the album "Exit... Stage Left" released in October 1981.

Great lifts!
Those magnet monstrosities look pretty crazy 😅

• Haha 1

RUSH way cool

nice lifts

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, matek said:

Great lifts!
Those magnet monstrosities look pretty crazy 😅

50 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

RUSH way cool

nice lifts

Thanks Matek!  I was totally going for an "absurd level" looking lift with the twin 90s...  hahaha  I just really like the feel of those block weights (which is why I eventually bought the twin) and wanted to see how far I could push the boundaries.

And John...Rush is yet another band I enjoyed over the years.  Not 100% punk and metal in my music collection... hahaha  Glad you liked the video.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

great lifting and great song

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

great lifting and great song

Thanks Joe!  Been meaning to use that song for a while now.  Old favorite of mine.

Twin 90s Double Overhead 08-05-2023

Spoiler Alert:  @Ben Helms is stronger than me.

For anyone that missed it...Ben Helms is working on a Double Next Gen 100 Snatch and it's absolutely amazing.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the strength and agility required for such a feat.  So I decided to put the heaviest block weight I could overhead.

My swinging/pressing technique isn't a legit/legal olympic lift.  And these twin 90s are probably ten pounds (EACH) lighter than Ben's Next Gen 100s.

Having a little better perspective now makes his lift all the more impressive.  Looking forward to watching more feats from Ben Helms down the road.

Musical Inspiration:  "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" by Smashing Pumpkins from the album "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" released in October 1995.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 6

York Legacy 110 Face Pick Attempt 08-05-2023

Two months.  That's how long it's taken me to record a better "York Legacy 110 Face Pick Attempt" since this thing first left the ground.

Today just happened to be the day.  Five weeks out from Heavy Hands and feeling inspired.

Musical Inspiration:  "Back in the Saddle" by Aerosmith from the album "Rocks" released in May 1976.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 6

Nice lifts! The half 75 is the biggest I can fit my fingers around enough to grip. Can't even begin to curl my fingers or thumb around a half 100. I guess the good news is that's one less thing I'll chase after. Here's a picture of my tiny hand on a half 100 next gen lol.

20230805_185556.thumb.jpg.6278a6b01c6c026f669b446b02013d6d.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Charles Jones said:

Nice lifts! The half 75 is the biggest I can fit my fingers around enough to grip. Can't even begin to curl my fingers or thumb around a half 100. I guess the good news is that's one less thing I'll chase after. Here's a picture of my tiny hand on a half 100 next gen lol.

Thanks!

And yeah...that looks like a photo of you giving the Next Gen a high-five.  🖐️😄

• Haha 1

Hey Doug that is way supper cool

very impressive lift, supper strong 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug that is way supper cool

very impressive lift, supper strong 

Thanks John!  I appreciate the support!

On 8/5/2023 at 6:45 PM, Douglas Carney said:

York Legacy 110 Face Pick Attempt 08-05-2023

Two months.  That's how long it's taken me to record a better "York Legacy 110 Face Pick Attempt" since this thing first left the ground.

Today just happened to be the day.  Five weeks out from Heavy Hands and feeling inspired.

Musical Inspiration:  "Back in the Saddle" by Aerosmith from the album "Rocks" released in May 1976.

Another great song. One of my fav Aerosmith albums

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Another great song. One of my fav Aerosmith albums

Thanks Joe.  Yeah...their first five albums had so much memorable music.  Then I kinda took a little break from them until Permanent Vacation and Pump came out about a decade later.  It was like a new era of Aerosmith in the late 80s.

• Like 1

Just watched a video by @VintageWeightsPGH about some awesome Iron Grip dumbbells and realized my half 120 PR to lockout is with only 5lb added.

I broke the half 120 with 17.5lb added off the floor back in June.  But I never went back and recorded a full lift at a slightly lower weight.  Not sure what I was thinking there.

<sigh>  Guess I need to "fix" that the next time I do blobs/block weights.  🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

nice work 

supper cool music to

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

nice work 

supper cool music to

Thanks John!  I'll try to have a decent mix of music in these videos documenting my grip training and progress.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 1

Hey Doug. Watching your videos is very inspiring. It's hard to get blogs out here on the West Coast without paying an arm and a leg. I have made some different blob like grip toys in the past. There is a metal company that I can get sections of 8 inch round stock, I was thinking of trying to make my own blob like things.

thanks for sharing your progress.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks Joe.  Yeah...their first five albums had so much memorable music.  Then I kinda took a little break from them until Permanent Vacation and Pump came out about a decade later.  It was like a new era of Aerosmith in the late 80s.

Yup, first 5 albums are amazing. Don't care for their stuff after that. My first concert was Aerosmith and Motley Crue.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yup, first 5 albums are amazing. Don't care for their stuff after that. My first concert was Aerosmith and Motley Crue.

ROCK ON!!!  :rock

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug. Watching your videos is very inspiring. It's hard to get blogs out here on the West Coast without paying an arm and a leg. I have made some different blob like grip toys in the past. There is a metal company that I can get sections of 8 inch round stock, I was thinking of trying to make my own blob like things.

thanks for sharing your progress.

The pleasure's all mine, John!  Thanks for joining me on my grip journey.  Happy to hear you're enjoying my videos along the way.

And I like your DIY attitude.  You and @matek are really creative in that way.  If it doesn't exist or is hard to source...find another way to make it happen.  Good stuff.

• Like 3