old weights for old guy strength 😝🤣

strong-strong-man.gif

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Old man strength, can’t be beat 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2023 at 2:29 PM, Douglas Carney said:

... except for some larger dumbbells and a few bumper plates, I've cobbled together enough stuff the past few years to make the move exclusively to vintage weights.

Should have some time this weekend to work on shuffling things around in the gym to get the old York dumbbells off the floor and onto racks.

Just to manage expectations though...it is not nearly as nice (or complete) a collection as Brian Shaw's🤪

• Like 3

...and I made time today.  Shuffled nearly every dumbbell and olympic plate I own today.

Totally worth it though.  This is my happy place.

York Dumbbells 1 06-30-2023.jpg

York Dumbbells 2  06-30-2023.jpg

• Like 5

York Blob Face Pick Practice & York 45lb Dumbbell Transfer 06-30-2023

Things started off ok today.  This was the highest I've ever gotten the York Next Gen Blob Face Pick (Half 100) with my right hand.

But I wasn't able to complete a York Legacy Blob Face Pick (Half 110).  This was my best attempt with my left hand today.

So I pivoted to a York 45lb Dumbbell Transfer and oddly enough that one worked out.  Go figure.

Musical Inspiration:  "Pipeline" by Anthrax from the album "Attack of the Killer B's" released in June 1991.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

York Blob Face Pick Practice & York 45lb Dumbbell Transfer 06-30-2023

Things started off ok today.  This was the highest I've ever gotten the York Next Gen Blob Face Pick (Half 100) with my right hand.

But I wasn't able to complete a York Legacy Blob Face Pick (Half 110).  This was my best attempt with my left hand today.

So I pivoted to a York 45lb Dumbbell Transfer and oddly enough that one worked out.  Go figure.

Musical Inspiration:  "Pipeline" by Anthrax from the album "Attack of the Killer B's" released in June 1991.

GREAT SONG to lift too. 

• Thanks 1

Nice work , killer music,

the gym looks great 👍 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice work , killer music,

the gym looks great 👍 

Thanks John!  I left some space on the bottom rack in case I ever find mates for the larger dumbbells.

The 45s were supposed to be a pair but the shipper just threw them in boxes and one got lost in the postal system.  (see attached pic for how the one 45 arrived)  Money refunded for missing 45, but still hugely disappointing.

45lb Dumbbell Pic1.jpg

Great attempt with the half 110. That thing is big. Probably it's just a matter of weeks to have a full lift (at least I don't remember seeing you fully face lifting it, but correct me if I'm wrong).

11 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

The 45s were supposed to be a pair but the shipper just threw them in boxes and one got lost in the postal system.  (see attached pic for how the one 45 arrived)  Money refunded for missing 45, but still hugely disappointing.

What a disappointment. 😕

Edited by matek
  • Thanks 1

On 6/24/2023 at 11:50 PM, dubyagrip said:
On 6/25/2023 at 10:30 AM, Douglas Carney said:

Those look awesome!  Thank you, Dubya!

...and the grippers continue multiplying at my house...  😂🤣😅

First family movie night with the GHP Junior Grippers.  Kids LOVE them.

6 year old daughter nailed the green and red.  Gave the blue a decent go.

Big sister (9) got the blue but struggled a bit with the black.  So much gripper fun!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, matek said:

Great attempt with the half 110. That thing is big. Probably it's just a matter of weeks to have a full lift (at least I don't remember seeing you fully face lifting it, but correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks Matek!

This is a video of my best attempt at the half 110.  I want to re-record it with full lockout and a brief pause at the top before I submit it for vote.  But it's one of those things that I may only be able to do on a really good day (and it hasn't happened yet).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, matek said:

What a disappointment. 😕

I'm not sure which is worse...a missing 45 (that may or may not be found some day) or seeing that rare 9lb York in two pieces when it arrived.

There should be a law against sloppy shipping on eBay.  hahaha

• Like 2

Ok now I remember 😅
Yes, I agree. Based on the Gripboard rules/standards, you might need a longer pause.  But it will happen. Just as you said you need a really good day for it to happen. 

2 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

I'm not sure which is worse...a missing 45 (that may or may not be found some day) or seeing that rare 9lb York in two pieces when it arrived.

There should be a law against sloppy shipping on eBay.  hahaha

Yea you should tell them that you'll pay $2-3 extra for heavily duct taping the box.😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Way good

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, matek said:

Yea you should tell them that you'll pay $2-3 extra for heavily duct taping the box.😅

Good idea!  I may also start sending shippers a link to @ZRMMA's youtube tutorial.

• Like 2

Axle & Saxon Bar Workout 07-03-2023

Axle Bar worked up to 283.2lb which is 30lb more than where I was on 05-05-2023.

Threw in three sets of hip thrusters as an accessory lift.

Saxon Bar worked up to 148.6 which is 10lb more than where I was on 5-05-2023.

Mild amount of progress but still waiting for the big beginner gainz to hurry up and kick in.

Musical Inspiration:  "Waiting Room" by Fugazi from the EP "Fugazi" (also known as "7 Songs") released in November 1988.

Fun Fact:  My first (and last) Fugazi show was at Sacred Heart Church Hall in Washington D.C. on April 27, 2001 at a five buck benefit for Neighbors Consejo & Homes Not Jails.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 5

Nice work Doug, looking good

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice work Doug, looking good

Thanks John!  Happy 4th!

• Like 1

Poolside Gripper Workout 07-07-2023

Got a tennis elbow type thing going on with my left arm that started halfway through Pull, Bize, and Trize Day today.

So...I bailed on any pinching attempts and took some grippers with me to the pool instead.  (My right hand is better at grippers, so it seemed like a decent plan.)

Horrible camera work on my part with a cell phone propped up against a patio umbrella, but this is by far the best I've done with the Silarukov 100 (RGC 117).

Nothing particularly noteworthy, though, with the Captains of Crush #2.5 Choker Gripper (131 RGC) set at 20mm.  Slightly better than three weeks ago but not by much.

Musical Inspiration:  "March of the SOD" by Stormtroopers of Death (S.O.D.) from the album "Live at Budokan" released in 1992.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Got a tennis elbow type thing going on with my left arm that started halfway through Pull, Bize, and Trize Day today.

If it becomes particularly nagging/bothersome/chronic, I suggest @Jedd Johnson's "Fixing Elbow Pain." Lots of great stuff in there. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Careful with the outer elbow pain, it can take some time to heal properly if it gets really bad. For me, inner elbow pain is much more manageable.
Hope it gets better soon!

Btw I noticed you often do grippers while sitting. Is there a particular reason for this? I think my "seated max" (😂) would be around 70-80% of my normal, "standing" max.
I remember when I started grippers last year, I did the very same thing, but then I realized it was suboptimal. Of course, you do you; if you enjoy grippers better this way, why not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

If it becomes particularly nagging/bothersome/chronic, I suggest @Jedd Johnson's "Fixing Elbow Pain." Lots of great stuff in there.

I overdid it this week.  Ex. I spent most of July 4th (from about 10am - 5:30pm) throwing 50lb kids in the pool.  Sounds easy but I was wiped that night.  Thought I had rested enough for Friday but apparently I was wrong.

Thanks for pointing out Jedd's resources.  I can definitely improve my stretching and warmup work.  And frankly I've never really done much in the way of cool down activities.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matek said:

Btw I noticed you often do grippers while sitting. Is there a particular reason for this? I think my "seated max" (😂) would be around 70-80% of my normal, "standing" max.
I remember when I started grippers last year, I did the very same thing, but then I realized it was suboptimal. Of course, you do you; if you enjoy grippers better this way, why not. 

I'm sure everything I do with grippers is suboptimal.  🤪

• I've always done grippers while sitting because I never treated them like a focused "weightlifting workout."
  • It was more like something I did while watching a movie with the kids or sitting in a chair during work.
  • And my technique wasn't much more than putting the gripper in my hand and squeezing from the full open position.

Eventually I learned (rather recently) that I should be practicing block sets and credit card sets versus the fully open thing.

But I never really thought about the sitting versus standing thing as making a difference.  Just another example of how much I still need to learn--especially with grippers.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

I overdid it this week.  Ex. I spent most of July 4th (from about 10am - 5:30pm) throwing 50lb kids in the pool.  Sounds easy but I was wiped that night.  Thought I had rested enough for Friday but apparently I was wrong.

Thanks for pointing out Jedd's resources.  I can definitely improve my stretching and warmup work.  And frankly I've never really done much in the way of cool down activities.

Haha i had to throw my nephews in the pool also. The little varmints..🤣 They actually aren't so little anymore. 

Stuff like that and being in the Sun can drain the CNS i've found.   Its so important to cool down after and do some stretching and to warm up... It adds like 30 minutes to my routine but its worth it. 

I'm afraid i'll jinx myself but the Sidewinder and Sidetwister have really helped with keeping  elbow and wrist stiffness/pain at bay. They aren't needed but i'm glad I have them to warm up and cool down with. 

They aren't cheap but i figured it was cheaper than 1 physical therapy appointment probably.  I know at some point i'll injure something though.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Thanks 1