Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

You'll get there Doug!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, stranger said:

You'll get there Doug!

Thanks Chaz!  Long way to go, but grip is a fun journey.

• Like 1

GHP Grippers & IronMind Silver Bullet 07-19-2023

Left hand stil out, so rightie did grippers again today.

Working sets consisted of:
GHP Level 5 (RGC 110) - Solid attempt.
GHP Level 6 (RGC 128) - Decent attempt.
GHP Level 7 (RGC 143) - Lame attempt.

Bonus Round:
GHP Level 6 (RGC 128) and IronMind Silver Bullet with a 9lb weight - About two seconds.

Going to call that one a win because at Maryland's Strongest Hands on May 20, 2023 I tried a similar strength gripper with a 2.5KG (5.5lb) weight and didn't quite make the two second mark for it to count.

My logic is the 9lb weight is heavy enough to make 2.5KG feel light at the next comp...but it's not so heavy that I have zero chance of holding it for a few seconds during workouts.

Musical Inspiration:  "Cadence to Arms" by Dropkick Murphys from the album "Do or Die" released in January 1998.

• Like 3

Hey Doug nice work

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug nice work

Thanks John!  Lot of room for improvement based on this year's Maryland's Strongest Hands results (attached).

I mean...I'm never going to have @Jedd Johnson looking over his shoulder, wondering what my Silver Bullet time was...

But I do need to work up to using a CoC #3.5 like @stranger and @nickthetick to really stand any chance in this comp next year.

Silver Bullet - Sorted.png

• Like 5

Double 55lb York Inverted Dumbbell Deadlift Attempt 7/20/2023

Leftie still not 100% but good enough for a double roundhead attempt.

Musical Inspiration:  "Rock and Roll" by Led Zeppelin from their untitled fourth studio album commonly known as "Led Zeppelin IV" released in November 1971.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Double 55lb York Inverted Dumbbell Deadlift Attempt 7/20/2023

Leftie still not 100% but good enough for a double roundhead attempt.

Musical Inspiration:  "Rock and Roll" by Led Zeppelin from their untitled fourth studio album commonly known as "Led Zeppelin IV" released in November 1971.

One of my favorite songs.. It doesn't get better than Zeppelin. The BEST

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Thanks 1

Great work Doug, way cool lift

the best Band ever.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

One of my favorite songs.. It doesn't get better than Zeppelin. The BEST

21 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Great work Doug, way cool lift

the best Band ever.

Awesome!  Look like I "struck a chord" picking Led Zep yesterday.  😉

I guess because I hadn't pinched in a while I just had the lyric "It's been a long time since I rock and rolled" playing over and over in my mind while doing the lift.  So that's what you got for the video...

• Like 2

40lb Globe Dumbbell 07-26-2023

In a prior post, I mentioned my long-term goal to lift a vintage 50lb York Globe dumbbell.

So I picked up this 40lb globe dumbbell to allow me to work up the 50lb York.

Tonight was unboxing, lifting, and then overloading with a pair of Bare Steel Equipment Micro Stack Weight Pins.

Musical Inspiration:  "Seemingly Endless Time" by Death Angel from the album "Act III" released in April 1990.

• Like 4

Way cool Doug, nice lift

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Way cool Doug, nice lift

Thanks John! Happy it went up.

Never know quite what to expect with new grip toys...🤔

Yep that’s cool. Everything is a new challenge.

• Thanks 1

Heavy Hands Prep Retest 07-28-2023

One month retest of 2 3/8” Napalm Nightmare - 280lb and then 302lb (plus handle and loading pin).  1.5lb improvement from 06-20-2023 plus that time said "BROKE GROUND ONLY" and this time was a little better.

One month retest of one hand 2” Napalm Nightmare - 184.8lb (plus handle and loading pin).  4.8lb improvement from 06-20-2023 plus that time said "HALFWAY OR SO" and this time was a little better.  [UNFORTUNATELY THE CAMERA FAILED TO RECORD IT]

One month retest of IronMind Little Big Horn - 136lb and then 134.3lb (plus handle and loading pin).  11lb improvement from 06-20-2023 plus that time said "BROKE GROUND ONLY" and this time was a little better.

Musical Inspiration: "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath from the album "Paranoid" released in September 1970.

• Like 5

Hey Doug, very impressive lifts.

supper cool

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug, very impressive lifts.

supper cool

Thanks John!

21 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Heavy Hands Prep Retest 07-28-2023

One month retest of 2 3/8” Napalm Nightmare - 280lb and then 302lb (plus handle and loading pin).  1.5lb improvement from 06-20-2023 plus that time said "BROKE GROUND ONLY" and this time was a little better.

One month retest of one hand 2” Napalm Nightmare - 184.8lb (plus handle and loading pin).  4.8lb improvement from 06-20-2023 plus that time said "HALFWAY OR SO" and this time was a little better.  [UNFORTUNATELY THE CAMERA FAILED TO RECORD IT]

One month retest of IronMind Little Big Horn - 136lb and then 134.3lb (plus handle and loading pin).  11lb improvement from 06-20-2023 plus that time said "BROKE GROUND ONLY" and this time was a little better.

Musical Inspiration: "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath from the album "Paranoid" released in September 1970.

Another great song.

Saw Sabbath twice 

Have Tony Iommis signature guitar and signature amp. Have not played in a while.. I'm about due for a War Pigs jam.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Another great song.

Saw Sabbath twice 

Have Tony Iommis signature guitar and signature amp. Have not played in a while.. I'm about due for a War Pigs jam.

Awesome!

Never saw Sabbath live. Bet it was epic.

I remember when Ozzy came to my sleepy little town in 1989 shortly after Zakk Wylde took over lead guitar duties from Jake E Lee (I believe).

Probably still have the tshirt and maybe a flyer around somewhere.   hahaha

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 1

Thinking about Heavy Hands prep and whether I may need blocks to get to the required 6" height for the one hand lifts.

Looked online at prices for a comp style crossbar setup and one company is taking pre-orders for around $150 plus international shipping.

Sooooo...I came up with a DIY alternative using stuff I had around the house.  Not nearly as nice as the "official" version but cheap and available to use today.  🤔

...and I found the answer to my question.  Anywhere approaching lockout and I'll hit the stick.  No need for blocks.  😇

DIY Crossbar.png

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Looked online at prices for a comp style crossbar setup and one company is taking pre-orders for around $150 plus international shipping.

Arm Assassins had competition uprights with a knock bar for $70 that I've been thinking about getting for a while. No crossbar included but can probably find one at a hardware store. I'd use a wood dowel myself just to reduce the noise. Being in an apartment, i need to stay somewhat quiet.

https://www.armassassinstrengthshop.com/products/competition-uprights

I'm certain I'd need blocks on most lifts being about 5' 9".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Charles Jones said:

Arm Assassins had competition uprights with a knock bar for $70 that I've been thinking about getting for a while. No crossbar included but can probably find one at a hardware store. I'd use a wood dowel myself just to reduce the noise. Being in an apartment, i need to stay somewhat quiet.

https://www.armassassinstrengthshop.com/products/competition-uprights

I'm certain I'd need blocks on most lifts being about 5' 9".

Thanks for the link!  Looks like the uprights used at Nationals (which makes sense since @Lucasraymond was in the first few minutes of the LBH Part 1 video I used to capture the image below).

So is the "knock bar" the part that goes over the loading pin and is the "crossbar" the rod between the uprights?

I'm mainly interested in the part that goes over the loading pin because the one used at Nationals appeared to spin so it could be reoriented toward the uprights. Ex. Chaz easily reoriented it with his foot at the 3:57 mark of LBH Part 2.

I mean...anything from Arm Assassin would be a h-u-g-e improvement over my little DIY setup. But in particular I'm thinking that the loading pin may spin a bit and when I get a few 45s on the loading pin I'm not going to want to reorient the paint sticks after every lift.

P.S. For what it's worth, I'm 6'3" and may not need blocks...but I do want to practice getting good lifts...so it seems like a decent investment.

Nationals Crossbar.png

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

So is the "knock bar" the part that goes over the loading pin and is the "crossbar" the rod between the uprights?

I've been under the assumption that the knock bar was the bar that attaches to the loading pin, but now that you asked, I'm not entirely sure. Maybe Luke will see this and clear it up, or can e-mail him.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Charles Jones said:

I've been under the assumption that the knock bar was the bar that attaches to the loading pin, but now that you asked, I'm not entirely sure. Maybe Luke will see this and clear it up, or can e-mail him.

I'll give Luke a little time to see this and hopefully clarify for us.  But I can follow up with a text, if needed, and share what I learn.

• Like 1

Grippers today but no videos worth posting.

Went for a filed Grip Genie 4 (RGC 120) as a possible step up from the Silarukov 100 (RGC 117).  Not even close.

Stubbornly went for the Standard Iron (RGC 136) and Silver Bullet with an old York 6lb dumbbell.  Didn't quite get it set.

Dropped to a GHP Level 6 (RGC 128) and Silver Bullet.  Maybe had it for a second.

Back to the filed GG4...and not much change.

Back to the GHP6 and Silver Bullet...and not much change.

Hoping all those misses add up to something for next week's workouts.  🙄

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Grippers today but no videos worth posting.

Went for a filed Grip Genie 4 (RGC 120) as a possible step up from the Silarukov 100 (RGC 117).  Not even close.

Stubbornly went for the Standard Iron (RGC 136) and Silver Bullet with an old York 6lb dumbbell.  Didn't quite get it set.

Dropped to a GHP Level 6 (RGC 128) and Silver Bullet.  Maybe had it for a second.

Back to the filed GG4...and not much change.

Back to the GHP6 and Silver Bullet...and not much change.

Hoping all those misses add up to something for next week's workouts.  🙄

They all add up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1