Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

2 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

My sister in law  and sister have something a cricket I think. I should have them make me a shirt. Maybe i'll make a few!

Should we start talking color options?  Classic black, gym grey, or plain white?  😁

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Should we start talking color options?  Classic black, gym grey, or plain white?  😁

Those are all good colors. Too many to choose lol.. It really would make a great shirt.

• Like 1

Just now, Blacksmith513 said:

Those are all good colors. Too many to choose lol.. It really would make a great shirt.

Let me know when you start taking orders!  😉

• Like 1

This is the start of our empire

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

This is the start of our empire

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's awesome, John!

• Like 1

Double Hex 100 06-10-2023

Lifting a Hex 100 block weight in each hand at the same time.

Musical Inspiration: "Thunderhorse" (from "Dethwater") by virtual band Dethklok from "The Dethalbum" released in September 2007.

• Like 4

Supper cool

• Thanks 1

Thanks @John Knowlton!  My goal is to work up to every PlateMate and Bare Steel Equipment magnet I own for a double Hex 100 lift...about an extra 11.25lb each if my math is correct.  Although the "real" goal is eventually a double blob lift - Next Gen and Fat Man.

• Like 3

Fun with Magnets 06-11-2023

Lift 1: Hex 100s plus all my PlateMates

Lift 2: York 80 & 85 plus all my Bare Steel Equipment Magnets

Musical Inspiration: "Hangar 18" by Megadeth from their album "Rust in Peace" released in September 1990.

• Like 3

Lifting 54 Beverage Cans 06-11-2023

I was curious how much beer I could lift if it came in a handy suitcase shape.

The answer is around 47 pounds worth.  😁

Musical Inspiration: "Six Pack" by Black Flag from the EP "Six Pack" released in June 1981.

• Like 3

The most practical use for grip training.

• Haha 1

Between pushing the limits on weight-added Hex 100s and Yorks, as well as tossing kids around the pool yesterday, my hands were telling me this morning that it will be Tuesday afternoon before I do anything grip specific.  🙄

Of course at the very same time...my mind was planning some programming to increase my grip strength range beyond just doing extra-wide face picks.  Specifically, I want to work in some 2" pinch and hub lifts to address some weaknesses.

And that's in addition to the Axle and Saxon work I already knew I needed to do, too.  Tuesday may be very busy for me.  🤔

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

Between pushing the limits on weight-added Hex 100s and Yorks, as well as tossing kids around the pool yesterday, my hands were telling me this morning that it will be Tuesday afternoon before I do anything grip specific.  🙄

Of course at the very same time...my mind was planning some programming to increase my grip strength range beyond just doing extra-wide face picks.  Specifically, I want to work in some 2" pinch and hub lifts to address some weaknesses.

And that's in addition to the Axle and Saxon work I already knew I needed to do, too.  Tuesday may be very busy for me.  🤔

Why not, sounds fun! 
Tuesday is also the busiest training day for me, because I can leave work relatively early

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, matek said:

Why not, sounds fun! 
Tuesday is also the busiest training day for me, because I can leave work relatively early

Thanks Matek!  Somewhat similar situation here.  Tuesday night's kid activities start a little later so I should have some time after work.

• Like 1

Latest Goal/Training List

Feedback from my First Comp and Plan for Maryland's Strongest Hands 2024

Silver Bullet I need to close at least a CoC #3...and ideally a #3.5 like @nickthetick and @stranger.  Realistically a CoC #4 like @Jedd Johnson just probably isn't in the cards for next April.

For Apollon's Axle, while 130KG wasn't exactly horrible, 160KG would be more competitive.  And 168kg may qualify me for Nationals next year.

Saxon Bar I think my all-time PR is what we opened with at the comp.  Need to go from 60kg to around 80ish.

And from the Medley two things were immediately clear:  (1) I never trained hub lifts and (2) I need to be able to consistently hit my blob lifts--even when tired.  Both will be covered in the feats listed below.

Blob/Block Weight Feats (in order of likelihood)

York Legacy 110 by the face (with a decent pause at the top to demonstrate full lift/control)

65lb inverted York roundhead (with fingers nowhere near the lettering/numbers)

Double 50# blob deadlift (Next Gen and Fat Man)

Lift any/all of the following:  Red Pill, York Legacy 110, Hex 120, and/or York Legacy 125

Other Feats (in no particular order)

45lb hub lift

York 100lb plate pinch

Other forms of pinch with 10s, 25s, 35s...etc

CoC 2.5 CCS

• Like 5

Addendum after reviewing the Nationals results...

The most I've done with a 2" Napalm Nightmare is 340lb* and I really need that number to start with a "4" to even be in the running.

* Not counting the implement and loading pin.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 3

Worked late and my son had Cub Scouts, so not the volume I had hoped for tonight.

2" Axle Bar

183.2lb x 5 reps

233.2lb x 5 reps

255.2lb x 3 reps

3" Saxon Bar

98.6lb x 5 reps

133.8 x 2 reps

• Like 4

Nice work
That’s cool you Gotta do Cub Scouts with your son. I remember those days. Good times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice work
That’s cool you Gotta do Cub Scouts with your son. I remember those days. Good times.

Yeah!  This was the last meeting until the fall and the leader's youngest son moved up to Boy Scouts last night, so it was a trip down memory lane.

Launching model rockets, racing Pinewood Derby cars, going camping, roasting s'mores...  Good times, indeed.  😊

• Like 3

Right thumb woke up unhappy this morning.  [edit: And leftie was a little grumpy, too.]  Doesn't feel like pinching today.  [edit:  And leftie isn't exactly pushing to pinch today.]

Might just do some light extensor bands to stretch my hands out a bit.

Timing stinks because I was hoping to work on a couple things I didn't get to yesterday.  [edit: But perhaps it's just as well I didn't get to that stuff last night if my thumbs are a little annoyed/aggravated today.]

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 1

That's ok tomorrow is another day

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2023 at 11:06 AM, Douglas Carney said:

Latest Goal/Training List

Feedback from my First Comp and Plan for Maryland's Strongest Hands 2024

Silver Bullet I need to close at least a CoC #3...and ideally a #3.5 like @nickthetick and @stranger.  Realistically a CoC #4 like @Jedd Johnson just probably isn't in the cards for next April.

For Apollon's Axle, while 130KG wasn't exactly horrible, 160KG would be more competitive.  And 168kg may qualify me for Nationals next year.

Saxon Bar I think my all-time PR is what we opened with at the comp.  Need to go from 60kg to around 80ish.

And from the Medley two things were immediately clear:  (1) I never trained hub lifts and (2) I need to be able to consistently hit my blob lifts--even when tired.  Both will be covered in the feats listed below.

Blob/Block Weight Feats (in order of likelihood)

York Legacy 110 by the face (with a decent pause at the top to demonstrate full lift/control)

65lb inverted York roundhead (with fingers nowhere near the lettering/numbers)

Double 50# blob deadlift (Next Gen and Fat Man)

Lift any/all of the following:  Red Pill, York Legacy 110, Hex 120, and/or York Legacy 125

Other Feats (in no particular order)

45lb hub lift

York 100lb plate pinch

Other forms of pinch with 10s, 25s, 35s...etc

CoC 2.5 CCS

I would consider doing a King Kong event somewhere, in order to get more competition experience.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I would consider doing a King Kong event somewhere, in order to get more competition experience.

Thanks Jedd!  I know Zach and Ben have Heavy Hands coming up in September, but I'll look for additional opportunities to gain competition experience.

30 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks Jedd!  I know Zach and Ben have Heavy Hands coming up in September, but I'll look for additional opportunities to gain competition experience.

That's another good one, too.

• Like 1

Between a little extensor band work and a little time/rest, thumbs are feeling more normal.

Did some light gripper work to see if I could at least do something today...  Oddly enough grippers (which aren't exactly my go-to implement/exercise) felt good.  Go figure.

Next thing you know I tried out a choker gripper for the first time and my thumbs survived.  hahaha  I'll post a very short video later tonight after kid pickup, dinner, swim practices, etc.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 3