Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

First time using a choker gripper.  CoC #2.5 (131 RGC) set at 1".

P.S.  Constructive feedback welcomed and appreciated.  I'm still a newbie at grippers and eager to learn.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 4

Hey Doug , looking good.

• Thanks 1

Thanks John!  Not horrible for my first attempt, right?  🤔

I mean...at least it closed a little bit.  Still plenty of work ahead of me, though.  😇

9 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Not horrible for my first attempt, right?  🤔

Not bad at all. 
A small piece of advice: while closing a heavy gripper, extend your arms. Doesn't have to be a full extension (and actually, I'm against it because of potential elbow tendon issues). You can slowly start extending your arm when you start crushing. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Matek!  I should probably go watch some choker gripper videos to see how you and others do it.  So many things for me to learn and consider.

29 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks Matek!  I should probably go watch some choker gripper videos to see how you and others do it.  So many things for me to learn and consider.

Found a recent video from @dubyagrip that describes his approach.

(a) I see the arm extension that you mentioned @matek and

(b) now I'm wondering if I should take my gripper in closer than an inch until I get a little stronger.

He had his gripper set to like 10mm...  Mine is over 25mm and I didn't close it all the way.

[edit:  for what it's worth, I initially sent mine to mimic a block set attempt but now I'm rethinking my strategy]

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I said it in the video, but if you keep the volume low and intensity high, you should see wicked gains.  Stay mindful of recovery.  It is easy to overdo it with grippers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey Doug. Keep us updated on how it’s going with the chopped gripper.

I am contemplating buying the same, choked Gripper from Cannon

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

I think I said it in the video, but if you keep the volume low and intensity high, you should see wicked gains.  Stay mindful of recovery.  It is easy to overdo it with grippers.

Thanks again!  I think I've made some mistakes in the past (50+ squeezes before my working sets and just generally overdoing it).  So I'm going to be breaking some bad habits as I am learning new approaches and adjusting my programming.

2 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug. Keep us updated on how it’s going with the chopped gripper.

I am contemplating buying the same, choked Gripper from Cannon

My initial impression is this is a high quality build and product.

Smooth closing action (for as far I can currently squeeze it).

I should be able to provide more feedback as I actually get into using it.

• Like 1

York Next Gen Blob Face Pick FAILED ATTEMPT 06-15-2023

Hands felt around 80%.  York Legacy 110 not an option today even though I got the York Next Gen Blob without chalk while warming up.

Sooooo...for some reason I decided to go back to the Next Gen, load it up with Bare Steel Equipment magnets, and try for a personal record.  😂🤣😅

Musical Inspiration: "Cemetery Gates" by Pantera from the album "Cowboys from Hell" released in July 1990.

• Like 4

131 RGC Choker Gripper - Day Two 06-15-2023

Day two of using a choker gripper.  CoC #2.5 (131 RGC) set at 20mm.

Musical Inspiration:  "California Dreamin'" by The Faction from the "Epitaph" 12-inch EP released in 1986.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

131 RGC Choker Gripper - Day Two 06-15-2023

Day two of using a choker gripper.  CoC #2.5 (131 RGC) set at 20mm.

One other observation from last night:

I haven't fully closed the Silarukov 100 (RGC 117) since I got it at the end of April, but last night I was within a few millimeters of closing it before the choker gripper sets.

So when you take the full workout into consideration, I saw the tiniest bit of progress in my gripper game.  Kinda cool.

• Like 2

hey Doug way cool 

I haven heard that version of California dreaming before

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

hey Doug way cool 

Thanks John!  I went on a deep-dive of punk rock nostalgia a few years ago and went back and tried to buy some of old stuff on cd.  This song was one that stood out.  Kinda fit because I was gripping by the pool and thinking about the beach.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

hey Doug way cool 

Me either. Just be careful eating a ham sandwich. You too could end up like Mama Cass.

• Like 2

This morning I realized my thumb issue the day after Axle and Saxon bars may have been due to jumping right from the treadmill to lifting 180ish. My legs were fine but hands weren't.

I perhaps needed to (a) do an actual grip warmup, (b) start with a lower weight, (c) make a smaller jump than 50lbs to my next weight, or (d) all of the above.

Lesson learned for next time.

• Like 1

Cool new banner - right at home with the York dumbbells and Ivanko plates.

Thanks @VintageWeightsPGH!

Vintage Weights Banner 6-20-2023.jpg

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Cool new banner - right at home with the York dumbbells and Ivanko plates.

Thanks @VintageWeightsPGH!

Vintage Weights Banner 6-20-2023.jpg

Thanks so much! It's an honor to see my banner in your gym! Nice setup with the dumbbells. Those Strongfort are cool too! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Way cool 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, VintageWeightsPGH said:

Thanks so much! It's an honor to see my banner in your gym! Nice setup with the dumbbells. Those Strongfort are cool too! 

My pleasure, Rob!  I need to do a "gym tour" video at some point but I'm still organizing a bit.  Maybe one day I'll drag out the random stuff I have laying around...

• Like 3

Heavy Hands Prep 06-20-2023

First time with 2 3/8” Napalm Nightmare - 300.5lb + handle and loading pin - BROKE GROUND ONLY

First time one hand 2” Napalm Nightmare - 180lb + handle and loading pin - HALFWAY OR SO

IronMind Little Big Horn 123.25lb + handle and loading pin - BROKE GROUND ONLY

Musical Inspiration:  "Think for Me" by Die Kreuzen from the album "Die Kreuzen" released in 1984.

• Like 5

Iron Grip 120 +17.5lb (76.6lb TOTAL) 06-20-2023

Grip was fading from Heavy Hands prep, but I like block weights - so on I pushed.

First time circling back to this weight with the Iron Grip 120 since April.

At least rightie got it off the floor this time...

Musical Inspiration:  "Stigmata" by Ministry from the album "The Land of Rape and Honey" released in October 1988.

• Like 6

Nice work 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Heavy Hands Prep 06-20-2023

First time with 2 3/8” Napalm Nightmare - 300.5lb + handle and loading pin - BROKE GROUND ONLY

First time one hand 2” Napalm Nightmare - 180lb + handle and loading pin - HALFWAY OR SO

IronMind Little Big Horn 123.25lb + handle and loading pin - BROKE GROUND ONLY

Musical Inspiration:  "Think for Me" by Die Kreuzen from the album "Die Kreuzen" released in 1984.

Strong lifts man. Nice work. I was using the 2 3/8 handle for a while but I was frying my grip with all the other  thick handle stuff and went down the the 2".  Killed my hands but its probably my favorite NN handle. I'll be using it again.  

Very good 1h lift too. You'll be doing 180 to lock out before you know it.

• Thanks 1