Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

Took it easy today.  Only sawed down and bundled up one of the three 20' tall bushes my wife wants removed.  🤪

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

I'm sure everything I do with grippers is suboptimal.  🤪

• I've always done grippers while sitting because I never treated them like a focused "weightlifting workout."
  • It was more like something I did while watching a movie with the kids or sitting in a chair during work.
  • And my technique wasn't much more than putting the gripper in my hand and squeezing from the full open position.

Eventually I learned (rather recently) that I should be practicing block sets and credit card sets versus the fully open thing.

But I never really thought about the sitting versus standing thing as making a difference.  Just another example of how much I still need to learn--especially with grippers.

I see. That explains things.
Give it a try one day! Much easier to utilize your whole upper body during the set and to fire up your CNS. 
I almost always try to optimize my workout plan and how I do things, but I have too many irons in the fire, so overall, everything is somewhat suboptimal 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, matek said:

I see. That explains things.
Give it a try one day! Much easier to utilize your whole upper body during the set and to fire up your CNS. 
I almost always try to optimize my workout plan and how I do things, but I have too many irons in the fire, so overall, everything is somewhat suboptimal 😂

If what your doing is suboptimal, I wanna see what optimal is for you. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

If what your doing is suboptimal, I wanna see what optimal is for you. 

Sleeping more (+drinking less), and regularly doing only one or two aspects of grip in one training macrocycle. But I enjoy doing kinda everything 😅. And I always say this, but less chance of getting injured.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, matek said:

Sleeping more (+drinking less), and regularly doing only one or two aspects of grip in one training macrocycle. But I enjoy doing kinda everything 😅. And I always say this, but less chance of getting injured.

🤣You and me both.. I'm going to start drinking less again though.

Yes its very hard to juggle it all. I've been thinking about temporarily giving up bending in pursue of the baby inch. But nah, I'm already conditioned for it, why stop.

• Like 2

Left arm was only mildly annoyed at times today, so I'm hoping if I lay off until Friday it will be alright.

Think my elbows flared out a bit on a rep or two of the Zottman Curl (with the Fat Gripz Extreme) and Super Bar reverse curls.  Both put a lot of stress on the outer forearm and form is critical.

I think I rushed the sets a bit and wasn't 100% focused because I was in a bit of a time crunch...so I did it to myself.

We'll see if I can be patient for a few more days...

• Like 3

I should probably be more careful.  I'm not throwing around massive amounts of weight...but I'm not as young as I used to be either.  🤔

• Like 2

Just personal experience really, but if you have outer elbow pain:
- Avoid rowing movements with thick bar implements (I even had to use straps for a while to be able to continue rowing movements).
- Avoid the Fat Gripz Extreme entirely until the pain is gone for sure. This was the biggest contributor to my tennis elbow. I did too many movements with it (too early in my grip journey), even things like lateral raises. 
- Don't do grip stuff with fully extended arms until the pain is gone, especially grippers.

Just my opinion.

Edited by matek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, matek said:

Just personal experience really, but if you have outer elbow pain:
- Avoid rowing movements with thick bar implements (I even had to use straps for a while to be able to continue rowing movements).
- Avoid the Fat Gripz Extreme entirely until the pain is gone for sure. This was the biggest contributor to my tennis elbow. I did too many movements with it (too early in my grip journey), even things like lateral raises. 
- Don't do grip stuff with fully extended arms until the pain is gone, especially grippers.

Just my opinion.

Thanks Matek!  This is one of the many benefits of being a member of the GripBoard.  I'm not the first or only person to ever encounter some of these training situations and I can benefit from the knowledge and experience of others.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2023 at 10:06 PM, DoctorOfCrush said:

If it becomes particularly nagging/bothersome/chronic, I suggest @Jedd Johnson's "Fixing Elbow Pain." Lots of great stuff in there. 

Thanks brotherrrr

• Like 2

Hey Doug. This is what I use for sore muscles and joints. It seems to work really good better than BenGay. You can get it off of Amazon. Or some feed stores.

IMG_1738.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I probably need my head examined for lifting while dealing with elbow pain...

...but on the plus side I went up 2.5 lbs per Hex 100 since the last time I broke out the magnets.

Sooooo...net win?!?

Musical Inspiration: "Psycho Therapy" by the Ramones from the album "Subterranean Jungle" released in February 1983.

• Like 7

On 7/10/2023 at 10:50 PM, Douglas Carney said:

We'll see if I can be patient for a few more days...

Nope...I like blobs and block weights too much.  🤪

New Long-Term Grip Goal Revealed 07-12-2023

This is the real reason I moved my grip workout up a couple days--scored a pair of vintage 50lb York Globe dumbbells and they arrived on Wednesday.

My goal is to lift them in the style @Jedd Johnson demonstrates in this video--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLvnrmt7tkA.

But the "Sad but True" reality is lifting one, let alone both of them together, is a very long way away for me.  No magical accomplishment today.

Musical Inspiration: "Sad but True" by Metallica from the album "Metallica" (aka "The Black Album") released in August 1991.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

This is the real reason I moved my grip workout up a couple days--scored a pair of vintage 50lb York Globe dumbbells and they arrived on Wednesday.

My goal is to lift them in the style @Jedd Johnson demonstrates in this video--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLvnrmt7tkA.

But the "Sad but True" reality is lifting one, let alone both of them together, is a very long way away for me.  No magical accomplishment today.

Musical Inspiration: "Sad but True" by Metallica from the album "Metallica" (aka "The Black Album") released in August 1991.

That looks super hard. Great goal!

• Thanks 1

Way cool , one of my favorite bands 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

You got this!

This is sort of similar to the moontop/ globtop. Its actually real fun, i've been enjoying training it. But once i get my blobtop back i'm going back to that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, matek said:

That looks super hard. Great goal!

This is going to be crazy hard, Matek!  But I have some 5" and 6" balls for pullups that I can repurpose for working up to 50lb with a loading pin.  So maybe it's possible.

8 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Way cool , one of my favorite bands 

Thanks John!  I HAD to work them in at some point.

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You got this!

This is sort of similar to the moontop/ globtop. Its actually real fun, i've been enjoying training it. But once i get my blobtop back i'm going back to that.

Appreciate the support, Joe!

I have one of the Gods of Grip 6"/14KG "Cannonball Blobs" and lifted it the day it arrived.  Even had the wacky idea of trying to reverse curl it (unsuccessfully) because I felt pretty confident with it.

But this dumbbell...  This dumbbell is no joke.

• Like 3

Something going around kids' camp the past week or two.  Our kids, other kids, parents...nearly everyone sick at some point.  Started Wednesday for me but kicked up a notch yesterday.  Not really feeling like a heavy workout today.  🤧

I did manage to saw down/bundle up 20' bush #3 of 3 this morning.  Left elbow not particularly happy this go 'round though, so maybe I was a little too aggressive with the pruners or handsaw.  But hey...my wife loves how the yard looks now.

In W-A-Y better news, I popped on Craigslist first thing for the fun of it and saw someone local selling a pair of 55lb York Globe Dumbbells.  Long story short, the "new" 50s are a little less lonely this afternoon.  Funny how life and luck work out sometimes.

NOTE:  Taking out bush #3 while sick was strategic.  Happy wife, happy life...and less said about dumbbells multiplying.  😂🤣😅

York 55lb Globe DBs 07-15-2023.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

P.S. The chalk on the 50s but no video should tell you how well inverted dumbbells attempts went Wednesday.  ZERO success with the 50s.  Messed with that for a long time, too.

Switched over to roundheads eventually.  Rightie easily lifted a 55lb roundhead but that's old news.  Lefitie lifted a 60lb roundhead but wasn't up for a 65 attempt.

So then I rolled out the York Legacy 110 because I was definitely warm by that point.  Face pick only broke the ground though.  Old news again.

Decided dumbbell transfers are too hard on my elbows so no attempt there.  Not sure when or if I'll try a 50lb roundhead for that "trick."

So I landed on heavy hex 100s as the only thing worth posting.  Thankfully I managed to actually have something mildly successful for all that effort.  I was quickly running out of things to try that would make a decent video...  🤔

• Like 3

Yes Doug you’re right. I say this from experience happy wife happy life equals new gym equipment.

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gripper Training 07-17-2023

Still sick.  Left arm still has a tennis elbow issue.  But rightie was up for gripper training.

Working sets consisted of:

Cannon PowerWorks Standard Gold (RGC 96) / Credit Card Set / Six Reps
IronMind Captains of Crush (RGC 108) / Credit Card Set / Three Reps
Silarukov 100 (RGC 117) / Parallel Set / One Rep

Musical Inspiration:  "Snap" by D.R.I. (Dirty Rotten Imbeciles) from the album "Dealing with It!" released in March 1985.

• Like 4

P.S.  Tried @matek's suggestion to stand rather than sit.  Grip felt good but my camera work was horrible.  🥺

• Like 1

Way cool grip work

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Way cool grip work

Thanks John!

Realized last night that I went from about two and a half reps with the Gold (RGC 96) on June 22nd to SIX reps yesterday.  So maybe standing vs sitting had a significant impact on my numbers.

I mean...I'm still nowhere near the level of @stranger's "CoC #2 for 10 reps with credit card set. Certification Training" video that inspired it all.  But progress is progress...  Rep counts are going in the right direction!

• Like 4