Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

15 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice work 

8 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Strong lifts man. Nice work. I was using the 2 3/8 handle for a while but I was frying my grip with all the other  thick handle stuff and went down the the 2".  Killed my hands but its probably my favorite NN handle. I'll be using it again.  

Very good 1h lift too. You'll be doing 180 to lock out before you know it.

Thanks Joe and John!  Wanted to get a sense of where I am right now so I can plan for Heavy Hands and prioritize fixing weaknesses.

Looking at the results from the 2022 Napalm Nightmare event I think I did ok for my first time with the 2 3/8" handle.

Not sure what's "good" for a 2" one hand lift, though.  I saw some 2.25" crusher numbers but that's not a fair comparison.

Little Big Horn I was frankly disappointed.  Not sure if it was fatigue of rushing through my programming but I had hoped for a better number.

Truth be told...part of rolling out the Iron Grip 120 was the frustration of Little Big Horn.  Wasn't going to let that be my last lift of the day.

• Like 3

Maybe today should have been a rest day... (Grippers 06-21-2023)

Not sure why I thought grippers would be a good idea the day after Napalm Nightmare, Little Big Horn, and heavy block weight work.

Musical Inspiration: "I'd Rather Be Sleeping" by D.R.I. (Dirty Rotten Imbeciles) from the album "Dealing with It!" released in March 1985.

• Like 5

HAVE GRIPPERS = NO REST

nice set , way cool music too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

HAVE GRIPPERS = NO REST

nice set , way cool music too

Thanks John!  I've been meaning to work in that song somewhere.  Today was the day!

And I had to chuckle about the "NO REST."  Ever since I got that choker gripper I want to work on it constantly.

Like even now as I'm typing to you..after just posting about my hands being spent..I'm thinking, has it been enough time that I can try it again?  😂🤣😅

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks Joe and John!  Wanted to get a sense of where I am right now so I can plan for Heavy Hands and prioritize fixing weaknesses.

Looking at the results from the 2022 Napalm Nightmare event I think I did ok for my first time with the 2 3/8" handle.

Not sure what's "good" for a 2" one hand lift, though.  I saw some 2.25" crusher numbers but that's not a fair comparison.

Little Big Horn I was frankly disappointed.  Not sure if it was fatigue of rushing through my programming but I had hoped for a better number.

Truth be told...part of rolling out the Iron Grip 120 was the frustration of Little Big Horn.  Wasn't going to let that be my last lift of the day.

I never have touched the LBH but i think there is some technique involved.. Youll get it.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I never have touched the LBH but i think there is some technique involved.. Youll get it.

I'm sure there is...  I need to hit up https://thegripauthority.com/ and do my homework.

• Like 1

Standard Gold Gripper (RGC 96) Credit Card Set (CCS) Practice 06-22-2023

I was inspired by @stranger quickly knocking out 10 CCS reps with a CoC #2 (RGC 98) gripper in a recent video.

So I grabbed my Cannon PowerWorks Standard Gold gripper (RGC 96) and practiced CCS for the first time.

As expected, my attempt was not as fast, as smooth, or as many reps as Chaz.  🤔

Musical Inspiration: "Boiling Point" by SS Decontrol from the album "The Kids Will Have Their Say" released in 1982.

• Like 10

KILLER SH#$

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

KILLER SH#$

THANKS JOHN!

• Like 1

Awesome job Doug! I find ccs reps especially hard

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, stranger said:

Awesome job Doug! I find ccs reps especially hard

Thanks Chaz!  CCS kicked my butt...  🙄

I need a lot more strength (and coordination) to really be successful.

• Like 1

I'm willing to admit that it's wasn't exactly an accident or coincidence that Pull, Bize, and Trize Day fell on the same night we typically go to the neighborhood pool.  😇

06-23-2023 Bize & Trize.png

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

I'm willing to admit that it's wasn't exactly an accident or coincidence that Pull, Bize, and Trize Day fell on the same night we typically go to the neighborhood pool.  😇

My six year old daughter after seeing this photo:  Awesome!

Me:  ?

Daughter:  You were able to take your own picture?  How did you do it?

Me:  I used a mirror and took a picture of my reflection.

Daughter:  That's awesome!

Me:  Thanks sweetie.

Daughter:  [wanders off toward the kitchen]  😂🤣😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I didn't do any grip stuff today...but tempted during family movie night.

Six year old daughter was snuggled up with me and asked me to hand her a gripper.  So I dug out the lightest thing I've got - an IronMind Zenith Agility.  (Unrated but let's say about 20 RGC based on @Cannon's posted average.)

Her hands are so small she needed two hands to start it but dog gone if she didn't squeeze and hold it a couple of times with one hand tonight!  I took it away from her so she didn't strain something but I think we may have a future women's competitor in 12 years...  💪👧

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

I didn't do any grip stuff today...but tempted during family movie night.

Six year old daughter was snuggled up with me and asked me to hand her a gripper.  So I dug out the lightest thing I've got - an IronMind Zenith Agility.  (Unrated but let's say about 20 RGC based on @Cannon's posted average.)

Her hands are so small she needed two hands to start it but dog gone if she didn't squeeze and hold it a couple of times with one hand tonight!  I took it away from her so she didn't strain something but I think we may have a future women's competitor in 12 years...  💪👧

https://gillinghamhp.com/product/ghp-junior-grippers-full-set/

My boys (7 and 4) love these.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dubyagrip said:

Those look awesome!  Thank you, Dubya!

...and the grippers continue multiplying at my house...  😂🤣😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Those look awesome!  Thank you, Dubya!

...and the grippers continue multiplying at my house...  😂🤣😅

I think you need to teach your grippers about protection lol🤣

• Haha 1

York Dumbbell Lifts, Presses & Transfers 06-25-2023

In case there was any doubt, I am not as strong as 4x World's Strongest Man, Brian Shaw.  😂🤣😅

There's a video of him tossing and catching a 70lb dumbbell.  (https://youtu.be/bnwghfXVGT0)

Me?  I only worked up to 40lb.  AND I didn't even lift my 65lb today.

Just incredible how strong he must be.  I can't even wrap my head around it.

Musical Inspiration:  "Nervous Breakdown" by Black Flag from the album "Nervous Breakdown" released in January 1979.

• Like 4

20/20 hindsight from today's grip workout:

(a) I probably did it too soon after pulldowns and rows on Friday (getting enough height on the 45lb was an issue),

(b) carrying everything from my basement to backyard got CNS firing as intended,

(c) but I did too many rounds of dumbbell presses during warmups (after 25lb they felt more like working sets),

(d) transfers are kinda hard on the thumb webbing,

(e) I probably shouldn't go for a transfer feat AND the 65lb dumbbell feat in the same workout, and

(f) overall I need more strength and endurance so (a), (c), and (e) won't be issues for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

20/20 hindsight from today's grip workout:

(a) I probably did it too soon after pulldowns and rows on Friday (getting enough height on the 45lb was an issue),

(b) carrying everything from my basement to backyard got CNS firing as intended,

(c) but I did too many rounds of dumbbell presses during warmups (after 25lb they felt more like working sets),

(d) transfers are kinda hard on the thumb webbing,

(e) I probably shouldn't go for a transfer feat AND the 65lb dumbbell feat in the same workout, and

(f) overall I need more strength and endurance so (a), (c), and (e) won't be issues for me.

I know you've been working out a long time. Not sure how long you've been doing grip exactly but yeah there is so much to learn with this stuff.  Its been 11 months of serious training for me.  I feel like things are just really starting to click.  I've probably said that before a couple times in the past though lol. But every week i'm learning what works and what doesn't work.   So many little nuances make a huge difference. 

Productive session today for you. It's not always about putting up better #'s than last week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I know you've been working out a long time. Not sure how long you've been doing grip exactly but yeah there is so much to learn with this stuff.  Its been 11 months of serious training for me.  I feel like things are just really starting to click.  I've probably said that before a couple times in the past though lol. But every week i'm learning what works and what doesn't work.   So many little nuances make a huge difference. 

Productive session today for you. It's not always about putting up better #'s than last week. 

Thanks Joe!  I'm still a beginner when it comes to grip.  (And today was the first time I attempted any type of transfer, so it's doesn't get much more "rookie" than that...  😁)

I think the main takeaway for me is to just keep at it, put in the work, listen and learn; and the breakthroughs will come.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks Joe!  I'm still a beginner when it comes to grip.  (And today was the first time I attempted any type of transfer, so it's doesn't get much more "rookie" than that...  😁)

I think the main takeaway for me is to just keep at it, put in the work, listen and learn; and the breakthroughs will come.

They will and are... You are pretty strong already. Some real solid numbers.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

They will and are... You are pretty strong already. Some real solid numbers.

Thanks Joe!  Maybe I have a bit of "old man strength" or something.  😄

• Haha 1

Change in grip training plan for today...

Just carried 656.2lb of dumbbells up from the basement because my wife found a buyer for my neoprene and rubber hex set (2-50lb).

In related news, except for some larger dumbbells and a few bumper plates, I've cobbled together enough stuff the past few years to make the move exclusively to vintage weights.

Neoprene and Rubber Hex Dumbbells (2lb - 50lb) 06-27-2023.jpg

• Like 5

NICE, Cant go wrong with vintage weights

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1