Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

Iron Grip Half 120 +12.5lb 08-08-2023

Inspired by @VintageWeightsPGH's recent purchase of some awesome Iron Grip dumbbells.

Decided to go for a personal record with my Iron Grip half 120.

+15lb was little too much today, but I got +12.5lb (71.6lb total) to lockout with both hands.

Musical Inspiration:  "Sweet Emotion" by Aerosmith from the album "Toys in the Attic" released in April 1975.

• Like 2

nice work

you are killing it

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

nice work

you are killing it

Thanks John!  I'm just trying to follow @Jedd Johnson's lead and see how heavy I can go with the half 120.

For me the half 120 is like a scaled-down version of the 88lb Manna-Nuff drop weight which based on a Gripmas 2015 video is about 3.5" wide.

Unfortunately for me...Jedd keeps raising the bar - even putting magnets on the giant Manna-Nuff!  No way I can catch up with him!  hahaha

• Like 3

Making a mental list of things to try based on my recent YouTube watch history...

1. Face picking a hex 100 like @temmmeeeeDon't remember getting much purchase on my hexes.  This may be a non-starter.  Feels odd saying a York Legacy 115 face pick may be a more reasonable goal. hahaha

2. Hammer curls with whatever blobs I can lift.  Hoping I can do half York 80 and 85.  Or maybe the Twin 90s.  But these may surprise me with their difficulty.  Could become a years long goal for all I know.  Just need to go for it and see where I stand!

3. Trying @Ben Helms's Westside hand sign technique on my York 100 plates.  Worth a shot.  Haven't lifted them yet with straight-up overhand grip.  Nothing to lose by mixing things up.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Making a mental list of things to try based on my recent YouTube watch history...

Uhm...yeah.  Everything on that list is going to be an extremely long-tern goal.  As in...if I didn't have a half 45 and half 50, hammer curls may not have happened today.  😂🤣😅

Only good thing I can say about today's workout is @Lucasraymond's knock bar and uprights are awesome.  Really helped me adjust/prepare for pulling to a bar at Heavy Hands because I discovered that I can open up my stance a bit and still get a good lift.  🙂👍

08-11-2023 Workout Notes.jpg

• Like 4

No videos worth posting from today.  Just putting in the work...

But I do have one video on the GripBoard I'd like for folks to check out if they have a chance: 

Really would appreciate people viewing/voting if you have a minute or two.  Thank you for your consideration.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2023 at 11:33 PM, Douglas Carney said:

1. Face picking a hex 100 like @temmmeeeeDon't remember getting much purchase on my hexes.  This may be a non-starter.  Feels odd saying a York Legacy 115 face pick may be a more reasonable goal. hahaha

2. Hammer curls with whatever blobs I can lift.  Hoping I can do half York 80 and 85.  Or maybe the Twin 90s.  But these may surprise me with their difficulty.  Could become a years long goal for all I know.  Just need to go for it and see where I stand!

3. Trying @Ben Helms's Westside hand sign technique on my York 100 plates.  Worth a shot.  Haven't lifted them yet with straight-up overhand grip.  Nothing to lose by mixing things up.

That's great man. 
I only have two blobs (the KWN40 and KWN50),and while the normal curl with the 40 wasn't that hard, I expect the hammer curl to be extremely difficult. This is how I imagine the movement without actually trying it: the very first part is fine, but then it gets very hard very quickly because the blob will inevitably "slip" down/rotate around the thumb (i.e., we won't have our thumb and fingers in the initial starting position). Then if we get through that nightmarish phase, the very end is probably okay because we'll get some support from the palm's pinky side. Just thinking aloud..

Edited by matek
  • Thanks 1

Thinking about supplementary/accessory exercises for Saxon Bar work.  Specifically, I'm looking at seated, supinated wrist curls because even though I start with the bar tilted, it drops straight to vertical as soon as I pick it up.  Need to fix this weakness.

I like the idea of isolated/targeted single arm work.  Zero set up time.  Less body movement to "cheat."

Seems like I could do something similar to this plate wrist curl but using blobs/block weights instead.  I have a 20lb shot put or half 35 hex as a starting point and can work up from there doing sets of 10.

Has anyone tried these?  If so, helpful?  Hurtful?  No noticeable improvement?  Just curious.

wristcurl-gif.gif

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, matek said:

That's great man. 
I only have two blobs (the KWN40 and KWN50),and while the normal curl with the 40 wasn't that hard, I expect the hammer curl to be extremely difficult. This is how I imagine the movement without actually trying it: the very first part is fine, but then it gets very hard very quickly because the blob will inevitably "slip" down/rotate around the thumb (i.e., we won't have our thumb and fingers in the initial starting position). Then if we get through that nightmarish phase, the very end is probably okay because we'll get some support from the palm's pinky side. Just thinking aloud..

I need to try it when I'm fresh to give you better feedback.  For me it felt as difficult as a reverse curl even though my hand was in a hammer curl position.

[For comparison to bar lifting, my hammer curl with Fat Gripz Extreme set is 82lb but my super bar reverse curl set is only 56lb.]

NOTE:  I was trying to strict curl it yesterday.  Maybe I needed to "cheat" a little.  More to the point, I need to get stronger so I can give this a better go...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thinking about supplementary/accessory exercises for Saxon Bar work.  Specifically, I'm looking at seated, supinated wrist curls because even though I start with the bar tilted, it drops straight to vertical as soon as I pick it up.  Need to fix this weakness.

I like the idea of isolated/targeted single arm work.  Zero set up time.  Less body movement to "cheat."

Seems like I could do something similar to this plate wrist curl but using blobs/block weights instead.  I have a 20lb shot put or half 35 hex as a starting point and can work up from there doing sets of 10.

Has anyone tried these?  If so, helpful?  Hurtful?  No noticeable improvement?  Just curious.

wristcurl-gif.gif

I like doing standing plate curls similar to Adam Glass. Of course I can't go nearly as heavy as Adam 😁 

Another good one is standing or seated axle wrist curls. This lets you wrist curl some meaningful weight which I felt has carryover. Mike Burke liked doing standing wrist curls and I believe Carl said he does something similar in the Grip Sport Latino episode. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I like doing standing plate curls similar to Adam Glass. Of course I can't go nearly as heavy as Adam 😁 

Another good one is standing or seated axle wrist curls. This lets you wrist curl some meaningful weight which I felt has carryover. Mike Burke liked doing standing wrist curls and I believe Carl said he does something similar in the Grip Sport Latino episode. 

Awesome!  Need to do my homework and incorporate this into my training.  Thank you!

• Like 1

Scale Weights + Every Magnet (130.8lb Total) 08-15-2023

Random urge to take my 50lb scale weights and slap every magnet I have onto them just to see if I could lift them.

Musical Inspiration: "Stone Cold Crazy" by Queen from the album "Sheer Heart Attack" released in November 1974.

• Like 4

Huge thank you to everyone that viewed my York Legacy Half 110 Face Lift video.

Jedd posted it a week ago today, but I believe there's still time for anyone that hasn't voted yet.

Thank you for your consideration.

• Like 2

Blob Hammer Curls Are Evil 08-17-2023

Blob Hammer Curls are much more difficult/different than what I envisioned/imagined when I decided to give them a go.

These are my best successful strict curls...a humbling half 45 and half 50 for a double and a half 60 for a single.

Musical Inspiration:  "A Touch of Evil" by Judas Priest from the album "Painkiller" released in September 1990.

• Like 3

Doug , way cool

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Blob Hammer Curls Are Evil 08-17-2023

Blob Hammer Curls are much more difficult/different than what I envisioned/imagined when I decided to give them a go.

These are my best successful strict curls...a humbling half 45 and half 50 for a double and a half 60 for a single.

Musical Inspiration:  "A Touch of Evil" by Judas Priest from the album "Painkiller" released in September 1990.

Nice one Doug!
Looks brutal, as expected!

• Thanks 1

Impressive session Doug!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Doug , way cool

Thank John!  How's the knee doing?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, matek said:

Nice one Doug!
Looks brutal, as expected!

Thanks, Matek!  I knew it would be brutal...but not this brutal!  hahaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice work Doug.. 

Thanks Joe!

• Like 1

Essential elements when packing for vacation...😂🤣😅

20230819_114145~3.jpg

• Like 5

View for the week...  Need to get this in at least one gripper video.

Brought the kids' junior grippers because dad can't have all the fun.

20230819_180811~2.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

View for the week...  Need to get this in at least one gripper video.

Brought the kids' junior grippers because dad can't have all the fun.

20230819_180811~2.jpg

I’m jealous. Hope you and the family have a great week!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic nice view .

knee is doing well ,

enjoy your vacation 

• Like 2