Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

Fantastic job 

good music to lift to

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Fantastic job 

good music to lift to

Thanks John!  Was a fun little experiment.  I like oddball iron implements like this...  🤪

11 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

“Coke Can – Kettlebell” Inch Dumbbell plus 30lb Scale Weights and Magnets (201.2lb Total) 10-01-2023

Still loving this new dumbbell!

Today's experiment was going all out heavy.  Had the random idea to strap two 30lb scale weights and then add enough magnets to bring it up over 200lb total.

Quick Note:  Because the weight was concentrated at the bottom, this dumbbell did not rotate like the Thomas Inch replicas and I cannot draw any direct comparisons or predictions about those dumbbells.  Today's experiment was simply about me using the equipment I have available for developing my grip and improving my general physical preparedness.

Musical Inspiration:  "March of the S.O.D." and "Sargent D and the S.O.D." from the album "Speak English or Die" by Stormtroopers of Death released in August 1985.

Great work, Doug, I love it. 

Nice naval mine lift 👍😂

dnmss.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, matek said:

Great work, Doug, I love it. 

Nice naval mine lift 👍😂

HA!  That's funny, Matek!  Never realized how much it looked like a naval mine.  hahaha

• Haha 2

Looks way cool 

some mad scientist stuff.

so looking closely at the picture is it to kettle bells welded together with a 2 inch diameter handle?

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Thanks 1

Thanks John!  It's two 62lb kettlebells with a little over a 2 3/8" handle welded in between.  (see photo below)

There's just something about it that I really like...so I keep finding different things to do with it.

KB Inch Width 1.jpg

• Like 3

I don’t think I can get an inch dumbell out here. But I can get kettlebells and I can weld. Thank you for posting the picture.

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

I don’t think I can get an inch dumbell out here. But I can get kettlebells and I can weld. Thank you for posting the picture.

Happy to help, John!  One bit of advice from @ZRMMA if you go the DIY route...when you cut the handles off - those handles are about 5 to 6 pounds each - so you're gonna lose 10 to 12 pounds off that bell weight.

For example, my “Coke Can – Kettlebell” has some fishing sinkers in the handle to make up some of that weight loss, but that's why it's "only" 116.6lb.  Two 62lb kettlebells did not equal a 124lb dumbbell when you factor in the handle removal.

KB Inch Weight.jpg

• Like 2

Doug ,OK cool thanks, how long is the handle.

I have made a few giant dumbbells, but they resemble a circus dumbbells. I like the kettlebell idea . For two reasons it looks super cool, and it doesn't take a lot of room up in my gym.

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Doug ,OK cool thanks, how long is the handle.

I have made a few giant dumbbells, but they resemble a circus dumbbells. I like the kettlebell idea . For two reasons it looks super cool, and it doesn't take a lot of room up in my gym.

Hard to get a good photo, but it's 4 1/4" on the money from the flat bottom of one kettlebell to the flat bottom of the other.

NOTE:  I think that's another (obvious) helpful hint...weld to the flat spots rather than rounding off your handle!

• Like 2

“Coke Can – Kettlebell” Inch Dumbbell Plus Two 50lb Scale Weights 10-04-2023

Everything was off tonight.  Didn't take the time to properly warm up and get everything firing before attempting this lift.

So while I got this stuff off the ground, it felt heavy.  I should have waited until a day that I had more time to work out.

Musical Inspiration:  "Death and Insanity" by Hallows Eve from the album "Death and Insanity" released in August 1986.

• Like 5

No worries you didn’t get any weaker from training today.

next session will be killer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

No worries you didn’t get any weaker from training today.

next session will be killer

Thanks Joe!  Looking forward to trying again.

Need to work in a non-grip leg day to give the hands a rest while still fixing weaknesses. Posterior Chain shouldn't be my limiting factor.

• Like 1

2” Napalm Nightmare and Deficit Loading Pin, 180lb – Last Good Lift 10-06-2023

First time with this setup on 09-13-2023 my left hand barely broke 170lb off the ground.

Today I focused on some setup suggestions from @ZRMMA and hit a PR of 180lb.

Musical Inspiration:  "Cowboys from Hell" by Pantera from the album "Cowboys from Hell" released in July 1990.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 3

2” Napalm Nightmare and Deficit Loading Pin, 200lb – Left Broke Ground 10-06-2023

When handing out these deficit loading pins at the end of the Heavy Hands comp, @Ben Helms mentioned that it would hold two 100lb plates.

My reaction was something like, "Dude...good to know...but you're w-a-y stronger than me and I probably won't need that much weight anytime soon."

Turns out that day was today...left broke ground with two 100lb plates.

Musical Inspiration:  "Animal I Have Become" by Three Days Grace from the album "One-X" released in June 2006.

• Like 2

Iron Grip Half 120 Block Weight Plus 21.25lb of Magnets (80.2lb Total) – FAILED ATTEMPTS 10-06-2023
This was a proof of concept for a discussion that I'm having on the GripBoard with @John Knowlton and @matek.  Just trying to determine how hard a 4 inch, 80lb block weight would be.

The answer?  Difficult, but not impossible.  My left thumb wasn't feeling it today.  But my right hand getting it to break the ground means it will eventually be doable.

Musical Inspiration:  "Iron Fist" by Motörhead from the album "Iron Fist" released in April 1982.

• Like 2

“Coke Can – Kettlebell” Cardio, Inch Dumbbell to 16” Plyo Box for 25 Reps 10-06-2023
Watched "Hard 172 Sahlaney Inch - 5 Minute Grip Rush" by @Jedd Johnson last night and wanted to see how many reps I could get with the “Coke Can – Kettlebell” today.

Aside from a lighter dumbbell...for my video I chose to lift the dumbbell onto a 16" plyo box.  Fun variation to my training.

Musical Inspiration:  "Time" by Anthrax from the album "Persistence of Time" released in August 1990.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Way cool Doug

Thanks John! Was just one of those really good gym days where things are clickin' nicely and weights are flyin' off the floor...😊

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 2

2” Axle and Wagon Wheels 293.2lb 10-09-2023

The Experiment:  To determine whether grip strength or my posterior chain is the weak link in my axle lifts.

The Results:  Inconclusive.

Things completely fell apart when I tried to jump to 343.2lb and I wasn't able to successfully drop down to a doable weight.

Now I know I need to make a smaller jump from 293.2lb the next time I attempt this experiment.

Musical Inspiration:  "The Trooper" by Iron Maiden from the album "Piece of Mind" released in May 1983.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 3

Hey Doug killer deadlift

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug killer deadlift

Thanks John!  It felt good which is why I added a pair of 25s for my next lift.  Hindsight 20/20 that was too big a jump.

A Doug you never know until you try

• Thanks 1

Hey Doug, check this out. This is how it starts right

image.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

A Doug you never know until you try

Exactly!  Thanks John...

I loaded up 343.2lb because (a) the way 293.2lb felt I genuinely believed I had enough in the tank to make the jump and (b) I know from Maryland's Strongest Hands that I need to pull somewhere between 160KG (352.74lb) and 170KG (374.786lb) to hang with the elite lifters.*

* Not that I'm at their level yet, but I'll never get to their level if I stick with lifts I can easily nail any day of the week.

So I aimed high and went for it.  Next time I'll throw on a pair of 5KG plates first and then see how a pair of 25s goes.

• Like 2