Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

Heavy Hands 2023 - My Lifts - 09/09/2023

Awesome, AWESOME day.  Great comp.  Great people.  Great time.

Mix of elite lifters and rookies like me.  Just did my best at lifting and learning.

My Lift Rundown:

2” One Hand Nightmare (6” Lift)
Warmups (both hands) - 65.3 and 120.3, Opener (right hand) - 145.3, 160.3 (left hand), 175.3 (right hand), Best Lift (right hand) - 185.3, MISS (both hands) - 195.3
     [NOTE:  First time doing this in a comp but at home I got 184.8 (plus loading pin and implement) on 07/28/2023 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjoZOKPOuW8) so I thought 195.3 was a reasonable stretch goal.]

2 3/8” FBBC Andrews Axle (Lockout)
Warmup - 158.8, Opener - 198.8, 213.8, 233.8, Best Lift - 258.8, MISS - 278.8
     [NOTE:  I don't own an axle this size so I was simply estimating where I'd land based on my 2" axle lifts and loading pin pulls with my Napalm Nightmare setup.  Now I know what to expect.  Bar felt good but still a lot of work to do for next year.]

3” Saxon (Arm assassin) Lockout
Warmup - 91.3, Opener - 111.3, 131.3, 146.3, 161.3, 176.3, Best Lift - 186.3, MISS - 196.3
     [NOTE:  I opened really low because at Maryland's Strongest Hands on 05/20/2023 I only managed 52KG (114.64lb) with a Sorinex Bar even though at home I worked up to 148.6 on 7/3/2023 with an Arm Assassin bar.  I never imagined a 40lb PR at Heavy Hands!]

IronMind Little Bighorn (6” Lift)
Warmup (both hands) 55lb plate, Opener (right hand) - 103.5, 126 (left hand), Best Lift (right hand) - 146, MISS (both hands) - 166
     [NOTE:  I forgot that I only pulled mid 130s at home on 07/28/2023.  So even though even though everything was seasoned super well and I was feeling unstoppable, I should have taken 161.5lb instead of waiting for 166lb.  Lesson learned - write down your planned jumps ahead of time and have them with you at the comp.]

Post Event Antics:

Rob from VintageWeightsPGH brought AbMat 3” Saxon Grips (https://abmat.com/products/saxon-grips) and a 70lb Globe Dumbell.  Wanted to check them out so I decided to row it a couple of times.  Felt surprisingly good in my hand and I think they'd make a good addition to the gym bag--especially for folks that may not have access to a saxon bar.

For my little oddball feat of the day, I face picked a York Fat Man but I think only John Foelber from Renewed Strength Gym saw it.  Unfortunately my second attempt when everyone was paying attention only made it to my knees.  By then my hands were spent and I didn't go for a third attempt.

Finally, there may be video of me lifting what I'm calling the "Coke Can Kettlebell Inch."  I'll measure and weigh this thing later...but Zach Mullins donated an awesome, handcrafted dumbbell for a drawing at the end of the comp.  So while I didn't take home any trophies, I got to take home an awesome baby-inch, a lot of lessons, and a ton of memories from spending eight hours with a great group of amazing athletes.

For my second comp, I can't imagine a better possible scenario and I'm grateful for this opportunity and the people that made this such an excellent event and experience.

Special shoutout to Zach Mullins and Ben Helms - it was so great meeting you both in person and I'm looking forward to seeing you again next year.  Thank you for organizing and hosting Heavy Hands 2023!

• Like 12

4 hours ago, John McCarter said:

Good write up and attempts.

Thanks so much, John!  Saw lots of impressive lifts yesterday but didn't want to steal anyone's thunder.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice 👍 Doug looked like a lot of fun

Oh my goodness, John...it was amazing.  So many awesome people and conversations and impressive lifts and helpful pointers and then walked away with a bell and banner AND a deficit height loading pin.  Darn near perfect day.

• Like 2

My wife hit a plant sale while I was at Heavy Hands...so sawing/splitting root balls before trash day (so they fit in the brush cans).

May not look like much but it took a limb saw, 4lb hammer, and three pry bars to bust them up.  Decent upper body workout when you do it by hand.

[NOTE:  That's just from one bush.  There were two root balls more just like it before I laid waste to them all.] 

Root Ball 09-11-2023.jpg

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 5

On 9/10/2023 at 1:20 PM, Douglas Carney said:

Heavy Hands 2023 - My Lifts - 09/09/2023

Awesome, AWESOME day.  Great comp.  Great people.  Great time.

Mix of elite lifters and rookies like me.  Just did my best at lifting and learning.

My Lift Rundown:

2” One Hand Nightmare (6” Lift)
Warmups (both hands) - 65.3 and 120.3, Opener (right hand) - 145.3, 160.3 (left hand), 175.3 (right hand), Best Lift (right hand) - 185.3, MISS (both hands) - 195.3
     [NOTE:  First time doing this in a comp but at home I got 184.8 (plus loading pin and implement) on 07/28/2023 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjoZOKPOuW8) so I thought 195.3 was a reasonable stretch goal.]

2 3/8” FBBC Andrews Axle (Lockout)
Warmup - 158.8, Opener - 198.8, 213.8, 233.8, Best Lift - 258.8, MISS - 278.8
     [NOTE:  I don't own an axle this size so I was simply estimating where I'd land based on my 2" axle lifts and loading pin pulls with my Napalm Nightmare setup.  Now I know what to expect.  Bar felt good but still a lot of work to do for next year.]

3” Saxon (Arm assassin) Lockout
Warmup - 91.3, Opener - 111.3, 131.3, 146.3, 161.3, 176.3, Best Lift - 186.3, MISS - 196.3
     [NOTE:  I opened really low because at Maryland's Strongest Hands on 05/20/2023 I only managed 52KG (114.64lb) with a Sorinex Bar even though at home I worked up to 148.6 on 7/3/2023 with an Arm Assassin bar.  I never imagined a 40lb PR at Heavy Hands!]

IronMind Little Bighorn (6” Lift)
Warmup (both hands) 55lb plate, Opener (right hand) - 103.5, 126 (left hand), Best Lift (right hand) - 146, MISS (both hands) - 166
     [NOTE:  I forgot that I only pulled mid 130s at home on 07/28/2023.  So even though even though everything was seasoned super well and I was feeling unstoppable, I should have taken 161.5lb instead of waiting for 166lb.  Lesson learned - write down your planned jumps ahead of time and have them with you at the comp.]

Post Event Antics:

Rob from VintageWeightsPGH brought AbMat 3” Saxon Grips (https://abmat.com/products/saxon-grips) and a 70lb Globe Dumbell.  Wanted to check them out so I decided to row it a couple of times.  Felt surprisingly good in my hand and I think they'd make a good addition to the gym bag--especially for folks that may not have access to a saxon bar.

For my little oddball feat of the day, I face picked a York Fat Man but I think only John Foelber from Renewed Strength Gym saw it.  Unfortunately my second attempt when everyone was paying attention only made it to my knees.  By then my hands were spent and I didn't go for a third attempt.

Finally, there may be video of me lifting what I'm calling the "Coke Can Kettlebell Inch."  I'll measure and weigh this thing later...but Zach Mullins donated an awesome, handcrafted dumbbell for a drawing at the end of the comp.  So while I didn't take home any trophies, I got to take home an awesome baby-inch, a lot of lessons, and a ton of memories from spending eight hours with a great group of amazing athletes.

For my second comp, I can't imagine a better possible scenario and I'm grateful for this opportunity and the people that made this such an excellent event and experience.

Special shoutout to Zach Mullins and Ben Helms - it was so great meeting you both in person and I'm looking forward to seeing you again next year.  Thank you for organizing and hosting Heavy Hands 2023!

Way to release the CARNAGE! Great work man!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Zach Ebel said:

Way to release the CARNAGE! Great work man!

Ha!  Thanks Zach...and congrats on the 120KG win!

Was great meeting and competing with you.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Working out with Heavy Hands Gear 09-13-2023

One of the many awesome aspects of competing at Heavy Hands this past Saturday was taking home some training equipment along with the lessons and memories from spending eight hours with a great group of amazing athletes.

Today I felt rested enough to give some of these new pieces go in my home gym.

First up was a deficit loading pin made by ScrapMasters Custom Welding.  This thing is so different than my taller loading pins and will challenge me to be a better lifter from the ground.

Paired it with my 2" Napalm Nightmare handle and warmed up with 25lb, 45lb, 100lb, and 125lb.  Best lift was 145 lb.  Then I failed at 170lb.

[NOTE:  This pin pairs perfectly with the 100lb York plates I got from Dan Brynildsen - Store Owner, Play It Again Sports - Edwardsville, IL.  So glad he was willing to work with me and ship these things halfway across the country before Maryland's Strongest Hands back in May.]

After the deficit loading pin was what I'm calling the "Coke Can - Kettlebell" Inch Dumbbell.  Not nearly as heavy as a true 172lb Thomas Inch replica at "only" 116.6lb, but still a challenge for me due to its nearly 2.5" handle.

Really appreciate Zach Mullins donating such an awesome, handcrafted dumbbell for a drawing at the end of the contest.  Currently I can only pick it up a few times, but my plan is to work up in weight using magnets so I can eventually tackle larger, heavier dumbbells.

Musical Inspiration:  "Burning Down the House" by Talking Heads from the album "Speaking in Tongues" released in June 1983.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug way cool Coke can Dumbell

Thanks John!  This thing is awesome.  Makes me want a baby inch around 140-150 so I have a goal to work towards.

• Like 2

The "hidden" benefit of me thinking about contests versus lifting alone in my basement...

• Walked a mile on the treadmill before training - a must for loosening up
  • Got in a second short walk before dinner - more leg work!
  • Skipped the snacks and festive beverages before bed - overall health and general fitness improvement

Steps Taken - Calories Burned.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

The "hidden" benefit of me thinking about contests versus lifting alone in my basement...

• Walked a mile on the treadmill before training - a must for loosening up
  • Got in a second short walk before dinner - more leg work!
  • Skipped the snacks and festive beverages before bed - overall health and general fitness improvement

Steps Taken - Calories Burned.png

Great work. Walking is so beneficial. As for festive beverages here’s a trick I learned.

Kill 2 birds with 1 stone….keep your cooler far away.Great way to get extra steps in.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Great work. Walking is so beneficial. As for festive beverages here’s a trick I learned.

Kill 2 birds with 1 stone….keep your cooler far away.Great way to get extra steps in.

Ha!  I like the festive beverage step plan, Joe...

But yeah...trying to implement some stuff I heard in Tim Butler's interview on The Grip Show.  I need to work in more walking.

• Like 3

Smashed my step count today.  Date night with my wife included about 90 minutes walking along a trail before dinner.

Plus I also did a bunch of loaded carries hauling stuff up from the basement gym to list on FB Marketplace, including:

• York Bun Dumbbells - Pairs:  1lb - 5lb (plus single 5lb), 7lb, 10b, 15lb, 20lb (plus single 20lb), 25lb, 30lb, 35lb, and 45lb; one unbranded 12lb; one unbranded 5KG; three unbranded 1KG dumbbells; and two dumbbell racks
  • York Roundhead Dumbbells - Singles:  30lb, 40lb,45lb, 55lb, and 65lb; and one Hampton 45lb dumbbell
  • Rogue Fitness Rubber Hex Dumbbell - Pairs:  75lb, 85lb, and 100lb; and four Rogue Fitness Add-On Change Plates - 1.5lb each
  • Everlast Medicine Balls - 8lb, 11lb, and 15lb; TRX Slam Balls - 20lb, 25lb, and 50lb; Titan Fitness Slam Ball 80lb; and ball rack

Step Count 09-16-2023.jpg

Yorks Only.png

Other DB.png

Balls Only.png

• Like 3

10 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice work

Thanks John.  Didn't feel like work because it was such a beautiful night out with my wife.

Ok...maybe hauling dumbbells felt like work.  But I need to clear out or we won't have any room to work out!  hahaha

On 9/17/2023 at 3:38 AM, Douglas Carney said:

Smashed my step count today.  Date night with my wife included about 90 minutes walking along a trail before dinner.

Plus I also did a bunch of loaded carries hauling stuff up from the basement gym to list on FB Marketplace, including:

• York Bun Dumbbells - Pairs:  1lb - 5lb (plus single 5lb), 7lb, 10b, 15lb, 20lb (plus single 20lb), 25lb, 30lb, 35lb, and 45lb; one unbranded 12lb; one unbranded 5KG; three unbranded 1KG dumbbells; and two dumbbell racks
  • York Roundhead Dumbbells - Singles:  30lb, 40lb,45lb, 55lb, and 65lb; and one Hampton 45lb dumbbell
  • Rogue Fitness Rubber Hex Dumbbell - Pairs:  75lb, 85lb, and 100lb; and four Rogue Fitness Add-On Change Plates - 1.5lb each
  • Everlast Medicine Balls - 8lb, 11lb, and 15lb; TRX Slam Balls - 20lb, 25lb, and 50lb; Titan Fitness Slam Ball 80lb; and ball rack

Step Count 09-16-2023.jpg

Yorks Only.png

Other DB.png

Balls Only.png

Wow man, what a collection. Those old school globe bells are awesome. Very cool 👌

• Thanks 1

Row Attempt with the “Coke Can – Kettlebell” Inch Dumbbell 09-19-2023

Moving stuff around the gym...bench was out...new baby inch dumbbell was out...so why not try rowing it?

Rightie wasn't really having it...but leftie made a decent attempt.

Not the finest of form today, but a fun experiment nonetheless.

Gives me hope to try again another day when I'm properly warmed up.

• Like 3

Way cool Doug. Just gos to show you very thing is challenge.

it dared you and you did it .      Doug 1

Coke can 0

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Way cool Doug. Just gos to show you very thing is challenge.

it dared you and you did it .      Doug 1

Coke can 0

Thankfully I got it on the first try after Zach drew my name in the drawing at Heavy Hands.

So currently it's two nothing, my favor.  hahaha

Dumbbell ALL.png

• Like 4

Triple Scale Weight Experiment 177lb Total 09-21-2023

New scale weight meant an experiment to see how far I can push these lifts.

Not a full lockout.  More of a proof of concept today.  Wondering if I can eventually get up to 200lb...

Musical Inspiration:  "Graveyard Disciples" by Black Label Society from the album "1919 Eternal" released in March 2002.

• Like 2