Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

@Douglas Carneythere’s an easy solution for that. Tell them your beer is fluid fluid and identifies as a soda

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

That looks fun. If I did that my family would think I’m crazy.

but they already know I am.

At the spring Cub Scout camping trip back in early May I had a bunch of grippers in the minivan because I was preparing for the Silver Bullet event at Maryland's Strongest Hands later that month.

Same dad that did the grip medley this most recent trip happened to ride with me to pick up firewood and saw the grippers, so I told him about the GripBoard forum, my YouTube channel, etc.  I even lifted the shrink-wrapped bundles of firewood by one log (if that makes sense) to demonstrate the wide pinch/block weight concept.

So yeah...he kinda knew I was crazy before this trip and wasn't surprised at all when I started picking up river rocks.  hahaha

• Like 2

Grip Strength RETEST - Axle and Baby Inch Dumbbells 11-03-2023

Arm Assassin Strength Shop Axle and Titan Fitness Wagon Wheels - Retest from 10-09-2023

293.2lb felt pretty good again, but this time I went with a smaller jump - just a pair of 5KG plates for 315.2lb total.  While a PR for this setup, it shouldn't rip out of my hands like that at the end.

GRADE:  B

Row Attempt with the “Coke Can – Kettlebell” Inch Dumbbell - Retest from 09-19-2023

Still just two reps.  Not full extension and grip about to fail at the end.

GRADE:  C-

Lifting the Gods of Grip "Baby" Inch Dumbbell - Retest from 10-26-2023

Much more manageable in this second series of attempts.  Even a very brief hold at the top!

GRADE:  A

Musical Inspiration:  Caity Babs on SiriusXM Turbo.

• Like 5

Just now, Blacksmith513 said:

That’s some nice lifting

Thanks Joe!  Happy Friday!

Nice lift

Happy Friday 

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Happy Friday Doug

11 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice lift

Happy Friday 

Cheers guys!

Grip on my Beer.jpg

• Like 3

Not exactly grip related, but watching my last series of workout videos I couldn't help but notice my "spare tire" has "inflated" a bit over the past couple months.

So...yesterday I skipped the elevator (and the overpriced beers) at the Ravens (football) game in Baltimore.  Guess the bright side of sitting in the cheap seats is getting in a lot of steps.  hahaha

11-05-2023 Ravens Game Steps.png

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Douglas Carney said:

Not exactly grip related, but watching my last series of workout videos I couldn't help but notice my "spare tire" has "inflated" a bit over the past couple months.

So...yesterday I skipped the elevator (and the overpriced beers) at the Ravens (football) game in Baltimore.  Guess the bright side of sitting in the cheap seats is getting in a lot of steps.  hahaha

11-05-2023 Ravens Game Steps.png

that’s not a spare tire. You are just preparing for winter.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

that’s not a spare tire. You are just preparing for winter.

To borrow from Homer Simpson, "I'm drought and famine resistant"  😂🤣😅

Also, "well insulated."  🥵♨️

• Haha 1

First time doing the full on "Pull, Bize, and Trize Day" since August 8th for a variety of reasons.  I've done a few elements here and there, but was good to get back to it.

Happy to say I hit nearly every number.  Went up five pounds on pulldowns.  But I struggled a bit on my third set of tricep extensions.

The big news is there was no elbow pain after Zottman Curls with the FatGripz Extreme and Reverse Curls with the Super Bar.  Learned my lesson from August and kept my elbows close in tight against my lats.

• Like 5

Gods of Grip Inch Dumbbell and “Coke Can – Kettlebell” to 16” Plyo Box for 5 reps each 11-06-2023

Had a little left in the tank after "Pull, Bize, and Trize Day" so I rolled out the Baby Inch Dumbbells and Plyo Box.

Only got 5 reps with the 145.2lb Gods of Grip Inch Dumbbell, so I did a drop set with the 116.8lb “Coke Can – Kettlebell” Dumbbell and got 5 reps with it as well.

Musical Inspiration:  "Aces High" by Iron Maiden from the album "Powerslave" released in September 1984.

• Like 5

nice work... You'll be lifting the full inch before you know it.

• Thanks 1

Way cool lifts,

supper cool gym ,you even got a TV in the gym niccccce

• Thanks 1

On 11/7/2023 at 7:03 AM, Blacksmith513 said:

nice work... You'll be lifting the full inch before you know it.

Thanks Joe!  It's a work in progress...  But I'll get there.

On 11/7/2023 at 8:06 AM, John Knowlton said:

Way cool lifts,

supper cool gym ,you even got a TV in the gym niccccce

Thanks John!  TV is a must have for streaming music, episodes of The Grip Show, and dvds from Jedd Johnson.

“Coke Can – Kettlebell” and Gods of Grip Baby Inch Dumbbell Combo Lift 11-10-2023

First time lifting the “Coke Can – Kettlebell” (116.8lb) and Gods of Grip Baby Inch Dumbbell (145.2lb) together.

Musical Inspiration:  "Toxicity" by System of a Down from the album "Toxicity" released in September 2001.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

“Coke Can – Kettlebell” and Gods of Grip Baby Inch Dumbbell Combo Lift 11-10-2023

First time lifting the “Coke Can – Kettlebell” (116.8lb) and Gods of Grip Baby Inch Dumbbell (145.2lb) together.

Musical Inspiration:  "Toxicity" by System of a Down from the album "Toxicity" released in September 2001.

Awesome lifts Doug and Happy Veterans Day. Thank you for your service. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Awesome lifts Doug and Happy Veterans Day. Thank you for your service. 

Thanks Joe!  Surprising the kids with donuts for Veterans Day.  Feel like I earned it...

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks Joe!  Surprising the kids with donuts for Veterans Day.  Feel like I earned it...

You did!

• Like 1

Not grip related, but for family photos this afternoon I grabbed a pair of pants I bought right before the pandemic.  Somehow they fit again (despite the Veterans Day donuts this morning).  So at least I'm back to February 2020 size/weight after losing 25 pounds I gained during the pandemic.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice 👍 good for you

Thanks John!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Not grip related, but for family photos this afternoon I grabbed a pair of pants I bought right before the pandemic.  Somehow they fit again (despite the Veterans Day donuts this morning).  So at least I'm back to February 2020 size/weight after losing 25 pounds I gained during the pandemic.

Great work Doug 

keep it up 

On 11/11/2023 at 6:04 PM, Blacksmith513 said:

Great work Doug 

keep it up 

Thanks Joe!  Yesterday I used the same approach when I took my younger daughter to the Ravens game.  More steps, no beers.  I'll do the same when I take my son in a few weeks.

11-12-2023 Ravens Game Steps.png

• Like 3