Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

145lb Dumbbell + 2 x 30lb Scale Weights + 2 x 10lb Olympic Plates (225.2lb Total) 12-08-2023

Strapping more weight to the Gods of Grip Baby Inch Dumbbell.  This time it was two 30lb scale weights AND two 10lb olympic plates.

Not exactly smooth sailing, but borrowing an inspirational quote from @Jedd Johnson, "Misses are just warmups."

Musical Inspiration:  "Argument Then War" by D.R.I. [Dirty Rotten Imbeciles] from the album "Dealing with It!" released in March 1985.

• Like 2

Time for an ice cold Yuengling and part 2 of the Gripsport latino - Zach Mullins interview.  Happy Friday everyone!

Nice work.

And happy Friday to you too 

• Thanks 1

Gripper – Table No Set – Practice 12-11-2023

Today was Table No Set (TNS) practice of just picking up the gripper and closing it with my right hand - without ever touching it with my left hand.

Warmup consisted of the following TNS closes (right hand only):

IronMind Captains of Crush Guide (RGC 27) X 5
IronMind Captains of Crush Sport (RGC 37) X 5
Cannon PowerWorks Tin [Sn] Standard Gripper (RGC 51) X 5
Cannon PowerWorks Zinc [Zn] Standard Gripper (RGC 60) X 5
Powerball 200 (RGC 80) X 1
Cannon PowerWorks Gold [Au] Standard Gripper (RGC 96) X 1

Three total attempts to TNS close the Cannon PowerWorks Copper [Cu] Standard Gripper (RGC 108).  ALL FAILED.

Dropped to a Steel Filed GNC 150 (RGC 93), the Gold [Au] (RGC 96) and some other gripper.  It was just practice at that point.

Musical Inspiration:  "Pressure" by Billy Joel from the album "The Nylon Curtain" released in September 1982.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug way cool video .

Thanks John!  Heard this song yesterday while watching football and thought it would make a good grip soundtrack.

Coughing a lot yesterday and woke up feeling achy and such today.  Just took a home COVID test and sure enough it's "positive."  🙄

Somewhere after letting my wife and boss know...my next thought was: this is probably going to delay me trying the baby Inch wrist curls @Carl Myerscough described in "The Grip Show (Episode 15) The Thomas Inch Dumbbell."  I had hoped to work them in this Friday.  🤪

• Sad 4

5 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Coughing a lot yesterday and woke up feeling achy and such today.  Just took a home COVID test and sure enough it's "positive."  🙄

Get well soon! And don't rush with trainings afterwards because high platelets are very often the consequence of covid. You have to keep that in mind.

Edited by insane.warrior
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Somewhere after letting my wife and boss know...my next thought was: this is probably going to delay me trying the baby Inch wrist curls @Carl Myerscough described in "The Grip Show (Episode 15) The Thomas Inch Dumbbell."  I had hoped to work them in this Friday.  🤪

Sorry to hear the China virus got you. 

Take your time and don’t push. When I had it a couple times I had fatigue that lasted a few weeks. Get well soon Doug

• Thanks 1

that sucks, sorry to hear that . hopefully you will get over it soon.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, insane.warrior said:

Get well soon! And don't rush with trainings afterwards because high platelets are very often the consequence of covid. You have to keep that in mind.

3 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Sorry to hear the China virus got you. 

Take your time and don’t push. When I had it a couple times I had fatigue that lasted a few weeks. Get well soon Doug

2 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

that sucks, sorry to hear that . hopefully you will get over it soon.

Thanks guys!  No rush to get back to training.  A day or two in bed sounds just fine to me right now.  😴💤

• Like 2

Feeling a little better (and sleeping a lot less) today, so catching up on grip videos a bit.

So much great stuff out there right now including @Jedd Johnson's #31DaysOfQnA on YouTube.  Go check it out!

• Like 1

Glad you are feeling better, don't push it. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Glad you are feeling better, don't push it. 

Thanks John.  Might be slow going for a while--whether I like it or not.  🙄

I may be taking a little break from lifting, but I'm still thinking about lifting.

For example, I've been walking past this gaggle of old dumbbells for months.  They're kinda outta the way so my wife hasn't said anything about 'em in a while--but I know she's probably like to see them gone.

And I was cool with that...and she even listed them "for me" at one point but didn't get much interest...so there they sat.

Anyway...now I'm wondering if I should cut up the 50 globe to make knock off (non-York) globs for a combo lift.  Bit redundant though because they'd be nearly the exact same size as my Gods of Grip 14Kg Cannonball Blob.

And I don't really need three globs unless I learn how to juggle...  🤪

Also had a fleeting thought about trying to find the matching 45lb Hampton dumbbell on eBay so I could make my own 188lb Inch dumbbell like Joe Hodgson.  Sides are pretty flat so it might weld up ok...

There was one that used to pop up in my feed a lot a while back.  Can't seem to find it now.

Guess it wasn't meant to be and I'm stuck with a single 45 gathering dust and rust.

Loose Dumbbells.jpg

Dumbbell WIdths.jpg

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 3

Reposting just in case someone out there hasn't subscribed to the Grip Sport International Newsletter or watched the #31DaysOfQnA yet...

For this weekend, @Jedd Johnson is knocking $10 off all 3 of his Inch Dumbbell Products:

I still sound like 💩 but feeling better today...no more aches and currently wide awake.  Sooooo...now seems like the perfect time to watch some instructional videos as I plot my work for 2024.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

I still sound like 💩 but feeling better today...no more aches and currently wide awake.  Sooooo...now seems like the perfect time to watch some instructional videos as I plot my work for 2024.

Appetite is back, too.  Just slammed half a tray of leftover lasagna while watching the first couple videos of "May The Inch Get Lifted"..  😂🤣😅

• Like 1

Nice to see you are getting better.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice to see you are getting better.

Thanks John!

Don't tell my doctor, but I got in some gripper training today while watching Operation: Gripper Certification and practicing what Paul Knight and Jedd Johnson were teaching.

High volume and super light.  Kept it in the 27-60 RGC range.

Well...for the most part.  Since I was warmed up anyway, I did a couple more sets after the video ended.

But when I missed the CCS of my Gold (RGC 96) the writing was on the wall, so I put everything away.  Still...it was nice to do something active today.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

Don't tell my doctor, but I got in some gripper training today while watching Operation: Gripper Certification and practicing what Paul Knight and Jedd Johnson were teaching.

High volume and super light.  Kept it in the 27-60 RGC range.

Well...for the most part.  Since I was warmed up anyway, I did a couple more sets after the video ended.

But when I missed the CCS of my Gold (RGC 96) the writing was on the wall, so I put everything away.  Still...it was nice to do something active today.

Unless I’m really  that sick or I can’t stay off the toilet I’m doing something in the gym. Cardio I  don’t mind missing.

nice work, if anything it’s good for the mind

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

Good for you Doug ,way to be.

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Unless I’m really  that sick or I can’t stay off the toilet I’m doing something in the gym. Cardio I  don’t mind missing.

nice work, if anything it’s good for the mind

Thanks John and Joe.

Today is day 4 of 5 of COVID treatment so feeling more myself.

Oddball Example -

My wife just now was like, "ya feel well enough to plunge a toilet?"  So of course I plunged it.

But as I'm taking the plunger back to the basement, I can't help but glance over at the gym side. So I walked over to the 117lb kettlebell, rolled it out, and picked it up cold, no chalk.

That went fine. Locked it out with a little pause at the top. So I rolled out the 145lb. Still no chalk and broke it off the ground.

That's all I wanted. Just a little air under the dumbbell as a quick morale/confidence boost.

• Like 4

-----Not Grip Related-----

Literally pacing about for the last 90 minutes.  Had this restless leg thing going the past two nights from lack of activity the last four days.  I mean...in all fairness...the first couple days with COVID I was asleep more than I was awake.  😴💤

Anyway....between the restlessness and sheer boredom I've been doing various iterations of body weight leg exercises while just kinda walking around...  Ex. I'd just kinda walk back and forth doing high knees or butt kicks, walking on my toes or heels, and maybe a couple air squats in between "laps."

Nothing too strenuous, but enough to loosen things up a bit and give me what Peloton's Jess Sims refers to as "the glazed donut look."  🤪

Will be nice to get back in a regular routine in my home gym.

• Like 3