Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

2 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug, check this out. This is how it starts right

That looks like an excellent start to an amazing Inch Dumbbell!  Can't wait to see your progress pulling/putting it all together.

Deficit Loading Pin, Napalm Nightmare 2” x 5” Saxon Blocks, and 2” Single Rolling Handle 10-15-2023

Decided to give the 2" x 5" Saxon Blocks another chance after hearing @Carl Myerscough on The Grip Show say that the narrower blocks will enable you to lift the bigger one easier, but not the other way around.  [1:15:10 mark of the interview]

Haven't used these since the end of April for a number of reasons: (1) my 3" Saxon Bar arrived from Arm Assassin Strength Shop shortly afterward, (2) 3" Saxon Bar is what was contested at my first two comps and it made sense at the time to train on the actual implement, and (3) they are incredibly challenging for me.

Post-comps I'm taking Carl's advice and incorporating narrower widths to boost my overall strength.

Technically 136lb was a PR because I only worked up to 126lb back in April.  Frankly I'm happy 145lb even came off the ground.  When I first tried to jump up from 125lb, 145lb was glued to the floor, so I had to take off the 45lb plate, put the 25lb back on, and add 5KG to get a good lift.

NOTE:  I'm not including video of me doing wrist curls during a drop set, but that was also some solid advice from Carl.  Think that contributed to adding 40lb to my 3" Saxon lift at Heavy Hands.

The 2" Single Rolling Handle felt heavy because I've been doing that first in my workouts.  Maybe the 2" x 5" Saxon Blocks taxed my hands a bit.  But at least 200lb broke the ground again so I'll call it a draw.  No measurable gain but no significant loss either.

In the grand scheme of things...it's the struggle that will make me stronger.

Musical Inspiration:  "The Struggle Within" by Metallica from the album "Metallica" (aka "The Black Album") released in August 1991.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 4

“Coke Can – Kettlebell” with 4 x 1.25lb Magnets on the Thumb Side (122.2lb Total) 10-15-2023

For my warmup lift I wanted to start practicing full lockouts.  Jedd Johnson did a video on proper form so I won't go into all the details.  But essentially one acceptable method is rotating the dumbbell a quarter turn to lift it high enough to be considered a lockout.

The real challenge I wanted to try was putting 4 x 1.25lb Micro Stack Weight Pins by Bare Steel Equipment on the thumb side to accentuate/amplify the rotation of the dumbbell.

@ZRMMA told me it would be harder, but I didn't realize just how much harder.  Five pounds may not sound like much, but with the position of those magnets...I was barely able to lift an otherwise doable dumbbell off the ground.

P.S.  Anyone tired of watching me lift the same dumbbell, different ways, over and over should stay tuned for a heavier bell this fall...

Musical Inspiration:  "So Dull" by Los Olvidados from the album "Listen to This!!!" released in July 2002.

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 4

Two Scale Weights attached to the “Coke Can – Kettlebell” (227.6lb Total) FAILED ATTEMPT 10-18-2023

Pushing the limits of what I can currently do with the “Coke Can – Kettlebell” by attaching two scale weights.

Felt crazy heavy and was a complete fail...but at least I broke this monstrosity off the ground...TWICE.

Musical Inspiration:  "The Devil in I" by Slipknot from the album ".5: The Gray Chapter" released in October 2014.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Two Scale Weights attached to the “Coke Can – Kettlebell” (227.6lb Total) FAILED ATTEMPT 10-18-2023

Pushing the limits of what I can currently do with the “Coke Can – Kettlebell” by attaching two scale weights.

Felt crazy heavy and was a complete fail...but at least I broke this monstrosity off the ground...TWICE.

Musical Inspiration:  "The Devil in I" by Slipknot from the album ".5: The Gray Chapter" released in October 2014.

Nice attempt, Doug. I like the side view with the grip-wall 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Great work Doug

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, matek said:

Nice attempt, Doug. I like the side view with the grip-wall 😀

Thanks Matek!  It finally dawned on me one day that my grip tools make a better background than my hot water heater.  😂🤣😅

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Great work Doug

Thanks Joe!  Trying to get ready for a bigger bell...

Not the full inch yet.  But I need to put the work in now so my body is strong enough down the road.

Would be disappointing to eventually try the full inch and discover the weak link is my body...not my grip.

• Like 2

Just now, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks Joe!  Trying to get ready for a bigger bell...

Not the full inch yet.  But I need to put the work in now so my body is strong enough down the road.

Would be disappointing to eventually try the full inch and discover the weak link is my body...not my grip.

You’ll get there. I know you will. Your body is probably already strong enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You’ll get there. I know you will. Your body is probably already strong enough.

Appreciate it a lot, Joe.

“Coke Can – Kettlebell” First Attempt Balancing Cans 10-26-2023

Just a simple technique to try to make sure I'm lifting the dumbbell level.

If the empty cans slide off (like they do in this video) my lift is less than perfect.

Musical Inspiration: "Fuel" by Metallica from the album "Reload" released in November 1997.

• Like 3

Unboxing and Lifting the Gods of Grip "Baby" Inch Dumbbell 10-26-2023

Next level challenge arrived today - the Gods of Grip "Baby" Inch Dumbbell.

Thanks again to @ZRMMA from The Grip Show for starting me down this path and making this training possible.

The Grip Show on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@TheGripShow

The Grip Show swag - https://the-grip-show.myspreadshop.com/

Musical Inspiration:  "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and "Fade to Black" by Metallica from the album "Ride the Lightning" released in July 1984.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Unboxing and Lifting the Gods of Grip "Baby" Inch Dumbbell 10-26-2023

Next level challenge arrived today - the Gods of Grip "Baby" Inch Dumbbell.

Thanks again to @ZRMMA from The Grip Show for starting me down this path and making this training possible.

The Grip Show on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@TheGripShow

The Grip Show swag - https://the-grip-show.myspreadshop.com/

Musical Inspiration:  "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and "Fade to Black" by Metallica from the album "Ride the Lightning" released in July 1984.

now your 'inchin "your way towards your goals.. Thats awesome and nice lift... You got some good air time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

now your 'inchin "your way towards your goals.. Thats awesome and nice lift... You got some good air time.

HA!  Love the word play there...  Thanks Joe!

2 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

HA!  Love the word play there...  Thanks Joe!

Just gotta take “baby” steps and you’ll get there

alright I’ll stop now before it gets any dumber 

• Haha 2

Doug that’s way cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Doug that’s way cool.

Thanks John!  Looking forward to seeing your new dumbbell!

• Like 1

Me too ,I get back to work in a week, that’s one of the first things I want to finish 

• Like 2

River Rock Grip Work 10-28-2023 and 10-29-2023

Got in a little bit of grip work during a Cub Scout camping trip at Patapsco Valley State Park.

I watched "Stoneland" on YouTube the night before the trip...so I had to try lifting some river rock here and there.

Hard to say how much anything actually weighed, but it was a fun way to mix things up.

• Like 5

P.S.  Had a decent step count from the camping trip and hiking as well.

Steps 10-28-2023.png

• Like 4

Hey Doug that’s so cool. 
camping and stone lifting .does not get better than that.

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug that’s so cool. 
camping and stone lifting .does not get better than that.

Just wish Maryland State Parks allowed alcohol so I could have had a beer afterwards...  hahaha

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Got in a little bit of grip work during a Cub Scout camping trip at Patapsco Valley State Park.

I watched "Stoneland" on YouTube the night before the trip...so I had to try lifting some river rock here and there.

Hard to say how much anything actually weighed, but it was a fun way to mix things up.

That was great Doug. I might do something similar when I go to the mountains next time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, matek said:

That was great Doug. I might do something similar when I go to the mountains next time

Was super fun.  It was "family camping" so my daughter was there and enjoyed being my photographer.  I also got another dad to do my grip medley!  😊

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

That looks fun. If I did that my family would think I’m crazy.

but they already know I am.

• Haha 3