Maryland's Strongest Hands 2024!

lder

Hello All,

Maryland's Strongest Hands 2024 is scheduled on April 27, 2024 at my training studio, Renewed Strength LLC, in Sykesville Maryland.

This is a dual sanctioned contest (Armlifting USA and GSI).   

Competition lifts will be:

Ironmind Apollon's Axle Double Overhand Deadlift (rising bar, unlimited attempts, full lockout)

Sorinex Saxon Bar Deadlift 3" side (rising bar, unlimited attempts, full lockout)

Ironmind Silver Bullet Hold (up to 3 attempts)

Grip medley will include York Blobs, Deep dish plates (hub), Sorinex CMBs, Inch Dumbbell, vintage shallow 20kg York Barbell hub lift, 100lb flat sided York pinch and more... 

The medley from the 2023 contest was well received by the competitors.  The 2024 medley will use similar implements but will be structured differently.    

Exact scoring is still being finalized.  Silver Bullet, Axle and Saxon DL will all follow the rules laid out by Armlifting USA found on their website. 

Registration is required and can be found here: https://clients.mindbodyonline.com/classic/ws?studioid=732798&stype=41&sTG=33&prodId=10164

Depending on participation I will look to have a <100kg weight class, >100kg weight class, Overall top three, and women's overall top three.

Prize money is available for the following lifts in the contest:

$1,000 New all time (Ironmind) men's axle world record 

$1,000 New all time (Armliting USA) men's saxon world record

$150 for any lifter lifting 2x bodyweight or higher in the Axle

$150 for any lifter lifting 1.3X bodyweight or higher in the Saxon

A formal agreement detailing the qualifications for the prize money will be available in January and will be shared with registered contestants.  

Address:

Renewed Strength LLC 

1532 Liberty Road Suite 111

Sykesville, Maryland 21784

I am not on here much, please reach out by email (Renewedstrengthmd@gmail.com) with specific questions.  More updates will be available on my Facebook event page found here.  https://fb.me/e/1tgXpdAJG

Thank you,

John Foelber 

• Like 6

I just booked my room, which can be refunded until February 25, so I'll check back before then to make sure it is still on.  Looking forward to it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I just booked my room, which can be refunded until February 25, so I'll check back before then to make sure it is still on.  Looking forward to it!

Just added this to the google calendar I share with my wife.  John's 2023 content was my first comp and I've been looking forward to going back ever since.  Was an excellent, well run, and fun event.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Just added this to the google calendar I share with my wife.  John's 2023 content was my first comp and I've been looking forward to going back ever since.  Was an excellent, well run, and fun event.

For the last two years, it was in May on my girlfriend's birthday weekend, and she didn't choose a grip comp for her birthday event!  This year it is in April -- on the exact day of MY 55th birthday -- so I think I am pretty safe.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

For the last two years, it was in May on my girlfriend's birthday weekend, and she didn't choose a grip comp for her birthday event!  This year it is in April -- on the exact day of MY 55th birthday -- so I think I am pretty safe.

Awesome timing!  😇

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lder said:

Grip medley will include York Blobs, Deep dish plates (hub), Sorinex CMBs, Inch Dumbbell, vintage shallow 20kg York Barbell hub lift, 100lb flat sided York pinch and more... 

The medley from the 2023 contest was well received by the competitors.  The 2024 medley will use similar implements but will be structured differently.   

The medley at 2019 Maryland's Strongest Hands was one of the most fun contest events I've done.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SarahChappelow said:

The medley at 2019 Maryland's Strongest Hands was one of the most fun contest events I've done.

When I was listening to you and @ZRMMA talk about medleys during your interview on The Grip Show, I was reminded how fun the one at Maryland's Strongest Hands was last year.  It was my first comp ever so I don't really have any comparison, but I thought it was awesome.

What was your favorite aspect or implement from 2019?  Just curious.  Also...any chance you'll be flying out for this year's event?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

When I was listening to you and @ZRMMA talk about medleys during your interview on The Grip Show, I was reminded how fun the one at Maryland's Strongest Hands was last year.  It was my first comp ever so I don't really have any comparison, but I thought it was awesome.

What was your favorite aspect or implement from 2019?  Just curious.  Also...any chance you'll be flying out for this year's event?

Hub lifting plates and levering sledgehammers was probably my favorite. I think I remember lifting an anvil there too. It was my first contest so all of it was fun.

No, won't make it out for 2024. Good luck to you if you compete! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SarahChappelow said:

Hub lifting plates and levering sledgehammers was probably my favorite. I think I remember lifting an anvil there too. It was my first contest so all of it was fun.

Thank you!  Sounds like a fun time in 2019.  I haven't seen levering in-person, let alone tried it yet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thank you!  Sounds like a fun time in 2019.  I haven't seen levering in-person, let alone tried it yet.

How far are you from Ohio?  There will be a sledge event at Chris Rice's comp in January: 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

How far are you from Ohio?  There will be a sledge event at Chris Rice's comp in January:

Thanks Vinnie!  Looks like six hours or so.  That's nothin' compared to your Maine road trip.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks Vinnie!  Looks like six hours or so.  That's nothin' compared to your Maine road trip.

At least two of us from the NYC area are coming to Chris's, possibly as many as four.  Hope you can get to that one, it will be awesome.  Chris was promoting comps for years but stopped five years ago when he was 70, right after I went to my first one ("the Last Gripmas") -- it was hands down the biggest single-venue comp I've ever been to, of maybe 20 by now.  Over 30 competitors I think.

• Like 1

I've tried the sledge event a couple times in training now - strange how the same weight feels so much heavier these days than it did all those years ago when we had it LOL.  No idea yet how many will show up for Yol Bosun but I think it will be a good comp regardless - I'm sorting out the weights for the various Medley items now - I have about 40 items laid out but there won't be that many make the cut.  Still have to determine the time limit as well (will depend on number of items).  My Euro has always been a strong point but it's really struggling right now - I'm not doing "something" right - gonna have to go back to the basics. The gym is starting to look like a cyclone went through - reminds me of The Gripmas Carol preparations from years back except I never started preparing this early before.  I hope a bunch of old friends can make it and looking forward to meeting some new gripsters.  About a month to get your entries in - (December 15th) so I can get trophies made up - especially any ladies who plan on competing.  

• Like 5

16 hours ago, climber511 said:

I've tried the sledge event a couple times in training now - strange how the same weight feels so much heavier these days than it did all those years ago when we had it LOL.  No idea yet how many will show up for Yol Bosun but I think it will be a good comp regardless - I'm sorting out the weights for the various Medley items now - I have about 40 items laid out but there won't be that many make the cut.  Still have to determine the time limit as well (will depend on number of items).  My Euro has always been a strong point but it's really struggling right now - I'm not doing "something" right - gonna have to go back to the basics. The gym is starting to look like a cyclone went through - reminds me of The Gripmas Carol preparations from years back except I never started preparing this early before.  I hope a bunch of old friends can make it and looking forward to meeting some new gripsters.  About a month to get your entries in - (December 15th) so I can get trophies made up - especially any ladies who plan on competing.  

Your Euro bad day is another man's lifetime goal lol.

I have yet to pick up 200 on a Euro (194 is my best, I got air on 200 once but couldn't get it).

Maybe you will have a word of advice on form for me when we are there, and it will give me the extra mmph for a comp PR on that!  I do find that my pinch has improved a bit over the last few years even though I don't train it much, and I think it is my gripper work that must be driving it.

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Your Euro bad day is another man's lifetime goal lol.

I have yet to pick up 200 on a Euro (194 is my best, I got air on 200 once but couldn't get it).

Maybe you will have a word of advice on form for me when we are there, and it will give me the extra mmph for a comp PR on that!  I do find that my pinch has improved a bit over the last few years even though I don't train it much, and I think it is my gripper work that must be driving it.

The euro is so very technique oriented - stronger is always better of course but while there are no "tricks" - there are certainly ways to address your strengths and minimize weaknesses

• Like 1

2 hours ago, climber511 said:

The euro is so very technique oriented - stronger is always better of course but while there are no "tricks" - there are certainly ways to address your strengths and minimize weaknesses

Everyone who every came here for me to work on their Euro made significant gains - Kody was exceptional - he went from OK to World Class to the course of several hours work.  Jedd - Aaron - Adam etc can all help you make significant gains on it.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 4:11 PM, SarahChappelow said:

Sarah,

The sledgehammer leveraging was a front lever medley from the ground, thanks for remembering.  You also successfully performed a one hand rim lift with a 100lb deep dish plate!  It was a fun contest, we had 17 lifters including a few first timers who have since made tremendous progress in their Armlifting careers or strength sports.  The male teenage lifter (now 21), who I trained, pulled a 700lb deadlift this year....it was quite a line-up.  

John

• Like 3

Registration is Live for this event and can be found through THIS LINK.  It is now officially a dual sanctioned event with Armlifting USA and GSI.   More details regarding weight classes, medley items and prizes will be announced as they are finalized.   Much more information will be shared under the Maryland's Strongest Hands 2024 event page on my business Facebook page Renewed Strength LLC.   Any questions please email renewedstrengthmd@gmail.com.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 2:11 PM, lder said:

Sarah,

The sledgehammer leveraging was a front lever medley from the ground, thanks for remembering.  You also successfully performed a one hand rim lift with a 100lb deep dish plate!  It was a fun contest, we had 17 lifters including a few first timers who have since made tremendous progress in their Armlifting careers or strength sports.  The male teenage lifter (now 21), who I trained, pulled a 700lb deadlift this year....it was quite a line-up.  

John

Sorry I missed the 2019 contest.  Sounds like quite the event!

13 minutes ago, lder said:

Registration is Live for this event and can be found through THIS LINK.  It is now officially a dual sanctioned event with Armlifting USA and GSI.   More details regarding weight classes, medley items and prizes will be announced as they are finalized.   Much more information will be shared under the Maryland's Strongest Hands 2024 event page on my business Facebook page Renewed Strength LLC.   Any questions please email renewedstrengthmd@gmail.com.

Won't miss out on 2024 though...  Just registered via John's link above.

• Like 1

Just registered!  $75 is steep for a grip comp, but it is dual sanctioned, so that adds cost for promoter.  Also, I really want to go to this because it is on my 55th birthday, and I can rope my son or my girlfriend into coming with me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Just registered!  $75 is steep for a grip comp, but it is dual sanctioned, so that adds cost for promoter.  Also, I really want to go to this because it is on my 55th birthday, and I can rope my son or my girlfriend into coming with me.

AWESOME!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lder said:

Top post is updated.  Read it in its entirety.  Email with any questions.   

What is the order of the events?  I noticed you listed silver bullet first in your original post and now it is listed third.  I was hoping SB would be the first event in the comp, because axle kind of messes with crush, at least for me and I've heard others say the same.  Not sure if you had it listed first and moved it to third because you changed the order of events, or if the order you listed them isn't meant to be the order anyway.  And of course it is your comp and you will order the events however you please.  Just sharing the thoughts I had when the post was edited and I noticed that change, so I figured I would ask.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

What is the order of the events?  I noticed you listed silver bullet first in your original post and now it is listed third.  I was hoping SB would be the first event in the comp, because axle kind of messes with crush, at least for me and I've heard others say the same.  Not sure if you had it listed first and moved it to third because you changed the order of events, or if the order you listed them isn't meant to be the order anyway.  And of course it is your comp and you will order the events however you please.  Just sharing the thoughts I had when the post was edited and I noticed that change, so I figured I would ask.

Yes, updated order.  Axle, Saxon, Silver Bullet, Medley 

The change was suggested to me by a few veteran, highly accomplished, lifters.  Everyone is different but limiting your attempts in a rising bar style contest should help buffer fatigue for later lifts.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1