Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

29 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Sounds like a fun contest, good luck.

I am sure you will do GREAT.

26 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

sorry dude. hope you get well soon.

Doug, hes right you are going to kill it this year. 

I appreciate the support!  I'll just do my best to prepare and perform.

Bummed about Chaz, though.  I've only done two comps so far and he was at both.  This would have been #3 of 3.

I had so much fun learning from him as I was chasing his numbers...  Won't be the same without him there.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Coming up on ten weeks out from Maryland's Strongest Hands on April 27, 2024., so I'm looking over last year's results (yet again) and re-assessing my current Strengths/Weaknesses/Opportunities/Threats:

1. Ironmind Apollon's Axle Double Overhand Deadlift
    • Top four lifts last year were 160KG - 170KG.
    • But I keep beating my head against the wall trying to lift 333lb with my axle.
    • Simple answer is I'm weak off the floor and need to introduce ME work with a regular barbell to hit my legs more than my hands (to avoid over-training).
  2. Sorinex Saxon Bar Deadlift 3" side
    • This one is tricky due to the rounded edge of this bar compared to my Arm Assassin bar.
    • But on the plus side I hit a huge (for me) personal PR at Heavy Hands in September of last year.
    • Bottom line is all I can do is keep putting in the work and mixing in 2" x 5" Napalm Nightmare lifts.  The rounded edge is going to affect everyone's numbers.
  3. Ironmind Silver Bullet Hold
    • For my skill level (or lack thereof), I ideally need to be able to do at least four seconds with a CoC #3.
    • But I still have some trouble setting a #2.5.  And @Vinnie and @stranger will probably go for a #4.
    • Simple answer is I've been slacking on grippers and need to prioritize them.  Otherwise I'm going to lose a lot of points here.
  4. Grip Medley
    • The way this event was scored, the big differentiator was being able to lift one or more of the ten point items.
    • Ex. There was a Fat Man, Inch dumbbell, shallow hub, and 100lb plate pinch that were worth more points.
    • None of these are easy feats, but I know I need to tighten up my blob game and keep chipping away at the Inch.  These two may be my best chances at ten points.
    • I'm weak on hubs, so frankly I'm working on making sure I nail the International 45 in the regular portion of the medley.  Hopefully there's carryover to the York shallow hub.
    • Finally, I have a pair of York 100s but haven't done anything except use them with my deficit loading pin.  I need to start doing negatives or something to work up to pinching these.

Dude, I'm in Fairfax, VA.   Didnt look how close in Maryland, but will do now.  If were close, lets try to hook up and train.  Im old now, but love going to competitions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, maidenfan said:

Dude, I'm in Fairfax, VA.   Didnt look how close in Maryland, but will do now.  If were close, lets try to hook up and train.  Im old now, but love going to competitions.

I probably qualify as "old" as well.  Currently 53.

John runs a great event.  Highly encourage you to make the trip up.

• Like 1

Just now, Douglas Carney said:

I probably qualify as "old" as well.  Currently 53.

John runs a great event.  Highly encourage you to make the trip up.

42 miles away - day trip

We can have an "old guy" event amongst ourselves lol

• Haha 1

Just now, maidenfan said:

42 miles away - day trip

We can have an "old guy" event amongst ourselves lol

Yeah...I day tripped it last year.  John's about 45 minutes north of me.

[NOTE:  Couple hour car ride or less is best for me right now because I have three young kids at home.  So I also day tripped it to Heavy Hands in Charlottesville back in Sept.]

[NOTE:  Couple hour car ride or less is best for me right now because I have three young kids at home.  So I also day tripped it to Heavy Hands in Charlottesville back in Sept.]

Three young kids?  I have a ten year old at 54 and thought I was bad 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, maidenfan said:

Three young kids?  I have a ten year old at 54 and thought I was bad 😂

I have a ten year old AND TWINS that turn SEVEN in a couple weeks.  😂🤣😅

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

I have a ten year old AND TWINS that turn SEVEN in a couple weeks.  😂🤣😅

NOTE:  Maybe they don't count as "young" kids any more.  But still...feels hard to leave the house for an overnight.

40 minutes ago, maidenfan said:

I have a ten year old at 54

I'm 54 also, but my son is 17.  The competition is on my 55th birthday, hence I am making my girlfriend AND my son both come with me lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Coming up on ten weeks out from Maryland's Strongest Hands on April 27, 2024., so I'm looking over last year's results (yet again) and re-assessing my current Strengths/Weaknesses/Opportunities/Threats:

• But I keep beating my head against the wall trying to lift 333lb with my axle.
    • Simple answer is I'm weak off the floor and need to introduce ME work with a regular barbell to hit my legs more than my hands (to avoid over-training).
    • This one is tricky due to the rounded edge of this bar compared to my Arm Assassin bar.
    • But on the plus side I hit a huge (for me) personal PR at Heavy Hands in September of last year.
    • Bottom line is all I can do is keep putting in the work and mixing in 2" x 5" Napalm Nightmare lifts.  The rounded edge is going to affect everyone's numbers.
    • For my skill level (or lack thereof), I ideally need to be able to do at least four seconds with a CoC #3.
    • But I still have some trouble setting a #2.5.  And @Vinnie and @stranger will probably go for a #4.
    • Simple answer is I've been slacking on grippers and need to prioritize them.  Otherwise I'm going to lose a lot of points here.
  4. Grip Medley
    • The way this event was scored, the big differentiator was being able to lift one or more of the ten point items.
    • Ex. There was a Fat Man, Inch dumbbell, shallow hub, and 100lb plate pinch that were worth more points.
    • None of these are easy feats, but I know I need to tighten up my blob game and keep chipping away at the Inch.  These two may be my best chances at ten points.
    • I'm weak on hubs, so frankly I'm working on making sure I nail the International 45 in the regular portion of the medley.  Hopefully there's carryover to the York shallow hub.
    • Finally, I have a pair of York 100s but haven't done anything except use them with my deficit loading pin.  I need to start doing negatives or something to work up to pinching these.

RE: axel.  I have the same problem.  My deadlift is so bad that however I hold the bar, thick bar, thin bar, double overhand, mixed, I am not lifting much more than 300.  So while my axel PR is 308, I doubt I would have lifted more on an oly bar mixed grip.

RE: Saxon bar.  3-inch is a little wide for me.  My pinch is much better at 2 or 2.5 inches.  I will say though that I got some Euro tips from Chris Rice that got me 20 more pounds on that lift, and I am anxious to see whether any of the thinking behind those tips gets me anything on the Saxon bar.  It might.  Maybe not 20 pounds though.

RE: silver bullet.  I think I was told the COC 4 that will be used is rated at 218.  That's a pretty hard COC 4.  I can do SB for about 6 or 7 seconds on my COC 4 rated 204.  Not sure I can get a hold at all with one rated 218, but I guess I will try it.  If I am pumped maybe I can get 2 seconds on it.

RE: Medley.  Never my strongest event, but always so much fun.  I have found that I usually get about half the items, which is fine.  The Inch, most half 100 blobs, and two 45s are beyond me. 

• Like 1

4. Grip Medley

The Medley will be slightly different this year.  The lifts will still favor the stronger grip athletes, however there will be a intellectual component that will give an edge to athletes who can calculate points on the fly and think on their feet.  Lots of strategy.  The York 100lb plates will not be included this year.  Prioritize Hub and Blob lifts first then sledgehammer leveraging (from the ground) and possibly thick handle dumbbell deadlifts.  

Look for a couple videos or posts about the contest in the next couple weeks.  

• Like 2

"RE: silver bullet.  I think I was told the COC 4 that will be used is rated at 218.  That's a pretty hard COC 4.  I can do SB for about 6 or 7 seconds on my COC 4 rated 204.  Not sure I can get a hold at all with one rated 218, but I guess I will try it.  If I am pumped maybe I can get 2 seconds on it."

Dang, wont do well on this one 😂

• Like 1

Did find my Saxon Block for my Country Crush handle - will be training hard (for a month lol)

IMG_5680.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stranger said:

Well, I have good and bad news. 

Good news is you'll definitely place higher than me this year 

Bad news is I got hurt last week so no comps or training for a little while.  

Best of luck to you Doug, I'm sure you'll kill it! 

Oh crap.  A speedy recovery to you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

RE: axel.  ...  I am not lifting much more than 300.  ...

RE: Saxon bar.  ...  I got some Euro tips from Chris Rice that got me 20 more pounds on that lift, and I am anxious to see whether any of the thinking behind those tips gets me anything on the Saxon bar.  It might.  Maybe not 20 pounds though.

RE: silver bullet.  ...  Not sure I can get a hold at all with one rated 218, but I guess I will try it.  If I am pumped maybe I can get 2 seconds on it.

RE: Medley.  Never my strongest event, but always so much fun.  I have found that I usually get about half the items, which is fine.  The Inch, most half 100 blobs, and two 45s are beyond me.

Just checked.  I lifted 130KG (286.6lb) last year...so we'll see if I can break 300.

I read your amazing write-up re: Euro tips from Chris Rice.  Hoping that helps you in Saxon and the Medley.

As for SB, I think the minimum time is three seconds for a good hold.  Plus this isn't the first event like last year.  Will be curious to see how it plays out.  Even if you end up doing a 3.5, your worlds ahead of me in grippers.

Finally, John just gave us a Medley sneak preview.  Looks like we don't have to worry about that 100lb York I mentioned.  Can't say I'll miss seeing it...  😂🤣😅

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lder said:

The Medley will be slightly different this year.  The lifts will still favor the stronger grip athletes, however there will be a intellectual component that will give an edge to athletes who can calculate points on the fly and think on their feet.  Lots of strategy.  The York 100lb plates will not be included this year.  Prioritize Hub and Blob lifts first then sledgehammer leveraging (from the ground) and possibly thick handle dumbbell deadlifts.  

Look for a couple videos or posts about the contest in the next couple weeks.  

I'm definitely curious how the math/scoring will work...  And levering from the ground...would that be like a coin lift?  I've never done sledgehammer stuff before...

• Like 2

Gripper Test – Table No Set, Silver Bullet, and Parallel 02-15-2024

Table No Set – Cannon PowerWorks Copper [CU] Standard Gripper (RGC 108)

To date this is my best attempt TNS-ing this gripper.  NO...it's still not fully closed yet.  But slow incremental progress is still progress.

Musical Inspiration:  "Walk" by Pantera from the album "Vulgar Display of Power" released in February 1992.

Silver Bullet – IronMind Captains of Crush #3 (RGC 150)

This was my first time getting a CoC #3 remotely close to set for a Silver Bullet hold.  Makes it feel a bit more reachable as a goal.

Musical Inspiration:  "Cemetery Gates" by Pantera from the album "Cowboys from Hell" released in July 1990.

Parallel Set – Silarukov 100 (RGC 117)

This was the heaviest gripper I could reasonably attempt after utterly failing a super heavy Silver Bullet set with a humbling (humiliating?) GHP Level 8 (RGC 176).  Frankly my right hand was fading at this point.

Musical Inspiration:  "Cowboys From Hell" by Pantera from the album "Cowboys from Hell" released in July 1990.

• Like 4

I'm definitely curious how the math/scoring will work...  And levering from the ground...would that be like a coin lift?  I've never done sledgehammer stuff before...

Scoring details coming.  The sledgehammer lift will be a front floor lever, no coin, easy to judge.  

• Like 1

Upright Row experiment but off day for V-Bar and Grippers 02-18-2024

One of those days where nothing was working right, but I still put in the work.

Upright Row with Straps -

Never liked Upright Row much due to some shoulder pain, but thought I would try this variation that Dane Miller posted about on the Garage Strength YouTube Channel.  I've never used lifting straps before, so I ended up buying a pair from him just for this experiment.

Felt pretty good, but I should have started with less than 115lb...especially since this was my first time trying them.  Next time I may start with a pair of 25s, then add a pair of 10s, and finally see if I need to swap up to 45s or not.  Hopefully once I learn the movement that weight will increase.

2 7/8" Vertical Bar -

Was doing these for sets of five, but tapped out after 255lb barely broke the ground.  This is also the point at which my left arm was feeling agitated again during the double overhand deadlift super sets so I backed off the gas a bit.  Despite my less than stellar performance, these "Vertical Cannons" are one of my favorite new implements from Arm Assassin Strength Shop.

1 1/4” Vertical Bar -

In what was a sure sign of the type of day I was having, I skipped over 2" V-bar and went straight to my super grippy/super skinny Steadfast V-bars.  Really hoped to do better than 305lb but everything was falling apart.  For context, I got 355lb off the ground with these things on 11/14/2023 so this was really an off day or I've lost a lot of strength.

Gripper Table No Set Attempts -

My right arm felt ok but my left wasn't even up for setting anything super heavy...so I went with just practicing TNS so I can work up to cleanly (and reliably) crushing my Cannon Powerworks Copper [Cu] Standard Gripper (RGC 108).  Other attempts included my Silarukov 100 (RGC 117), a filed IronMind Captains of Crush #2 (RGC 108), a filed GNC 150 (RGC 93) with steel handles, and a Heavy Grip 250 (RGC 105).  Nothing particularly remarkable, but not exactly horrible either considering I just finished deadlifts and V-Bar, and had done grippers three days ago.

Musical Inspiration:  "Primal Scream" by Mötley Crüe from the album "Decade of Decadence 81–91" released in September 1991.

• Like 5

nice work Doug.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s what it’s all about Doug. Giving it your best on any given day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

nice work Doug.

9 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

That’s what it’s all about Doug. Giving it your best on any given day.

Thanks John and Joe!

One thing I did differently was adding more reps.  Decided I needed more time under tension for GPP.  I'm sure that would affect max weight.

The other thing is later that night I came down with a gastro-intestinal bug.  Nothing major, but enough to have me dragging the past couple of days.  Was already in my system when I did the workout.

• Like 2

York Blob Run Half 35 - Half 100 02-23-2024

Sick all week.  Feeling maybe 75 - 80% today.  But prep for Maryland's Strongest Hands 2024 must go on...

Numbers for 2" x 5" Napalm's Nightmare and 3" x 4" Saxon Bar were both off today.  Not even worth posting.

But this York Blob Run was pretty fun.  Well...fun up until rightie missed the half 90 and leftie couldn't pick up the slack.

Hindsight 20/20, I should have given up on the half 90 around the 1:43 mark because in a competition setting every second counts.

Based on the rules for the Grip Medley I would have only earned one more point for lifting the half 90 with one hand instead of two.

Worse...I wasted nearly two full minutes on the half 90...so I would have never gotten to the easy five points each for the Sorinex Center Mass Bells at the end.

Bottom line is on the day of the competition, I need to (a) pick up the pace with lifts I can make, (b) make quicker decisions on the lifts I can't make, and (c) allow enough time for the 20 points worth of bells at the end.

Musical Inspiration:  "Race Against Time" by The Exploited as a CD reissue bonus track for the album "Horror Epics" released in April 1985 and reissued in June 2004.

• Like 4