Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

Even though you're not 100% It still look pretty good . 

you should do good on the day of competition

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

York Blob Run Half 35 - Half 100 02-23-2024

Sick all week.  Feeling maybe 75 - 80% today.  But prep for Maryland's Strongest Hands 2024 must go on...

Numbers for 2" x 5" Napalm's Nightmare and 3" x 4" Saxon Bar were both off today.  Not even worth posting.

But this York Blob Run was pretty fun.  Well...fun up until rightie missed the half 90 and leftie couldn't pick up the slack.

Hindsight 20/20, I should have given up on the half 90 around the 1:43 mark because in a competition setting every second counts.

Based on the rules for the Grip Medley I would have only earned one more point for lifting the half 90 with one hand instead of two.

Worse...I wasted nearly two full minutes on the half 90...so I would have never gotten to the easy five points each for the Sorinex Center Mass Bells at the end.

Bottom line is on the day of the competition, I need to (a) pick up the pace with lifts I can make, (b) make quicker decisions on the lifts I can't make, and (c) allow enough time for the 20 points worth of bells at the end.

Musical Inspiration:  "Race Against Time" by The Exploited as a CD reissue bonus track for the album "Horror Epics" released in April 1985 and reissued in June 2004.

Sounds like a productive session to me. Numbers down but you gained knowledge in stuff that will aid you in competition.

Get well soon Doug

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Sounds like a productive session to me. Numbers down but you gained knowledge in stuff that will aid you in competition.

Get well soon Doug

Thanks Joe!

And yeah...comp is eight weeks from today, so I wanted to a sense of where I am and where to focus in the time I have left.  Good session in that sense.

• Like 1

Yesterday was my first time feeling back to "normal" in at least a week and a half of being sick.  Also helped that this was my favorite workout - Pull, Bize, and Trize Day!  Here's the rundown:

Round 1
Pulldowns - 5’ x 1 ¾” Lat Bar - 115lb x 10 reps
Hammer Curls - Triceps Bar with 3” Grips - 83lb x 10 reps
Front/Lat Raises - York Roundhead Dumbbells - 12lb x 10 reps each
Pulldowns - 4’ x 1 ¾” Lat Bar - 165lb x 9 reps

• Notes:  Given the circumstances, losing a rep on the 4' lat bar was not a shock.  I'll make it up next time.

Round 2
Pulldowns - 2’ x 3” Straight Bar - 165lb x 10 reps
EZ Bar Curls - Curl Bar with 1 ¾” Grips - 77.5lb x 10 reps
Pulldowns - I-Beam Attachment - 115lb x 10 reps

• Notes:  EZ curl bar loaded up to 79lb for next time.  I-Beam can also go up next time.

Round 3
Close Grip Rows - 1 ¼” Handles - 115lb x 10 reps
Zottman Curls - York Roundhead Dumbbells with 2 ¾” Grips - 25lb x 10 reps
Monster Grip Triangle - 2" Handles - 115lb x 10 reps

• Notes:  Zottman Curls felt a little tough today, especially right thumb strength.

Round 4
M10 Attachment - 1 ¼” Handles - 115lb x 10 reps
Super Bar Reverse Curls - Super Bar - 58.5lb x 10 reps
Pinch Block Rows - 2” x 3” Handles - 115lb x 10 reps

• Notes:  Super Bar Reverse Curls can probably go up to a pair of 25lb plates next time.

Round 5
Flat Tricep Bar - 1 ¾” Bar - 65lb x 10 reps
Hoerbel Curls - York Roundhead Dumbbells - 40lb x 10 reps
Fat Tricep Bar - 2” Bar - 65lb x 10 reps

Notes:  All good stuff.  No changes for next time.

Round 6
Fat Tricep Rope - 1 ½” Rope - 55lb x 10
Alternating Dumbbell Curls - York Roundhead Dumbbells - 35lb x 10 reps
Reverse Grip Tricep Pulldown - 3” Muscle Mace - 35lb x 10 reps

• Notes:  Alternating Dumbbell Curls felt a little tough today.  Fatigue was setting in.
  • Like 2

Uhm...yeah.  @Cannon wasn't joking about how hard this thing is...😂🤣😅

02-28-2024 Chinese 40kg TUG (Very hard).jpg

• Like 4

It’s UNBELIEVABLY hard. Can you close it one-handed in any way? I could not. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I gave it my best shot but couldn't get the handles to touch one-handed.

• Like 3

-----  NON-GRIP RELATED  -----

Taking the kids to a swim/dive team dance tonight.  Wearing a button-down shirt I haven't worn in probably three years or so because it got kinda tight.  Tonight it fits again.  Calling that an early win for 2024.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

-----  NON-GRIP RELATED  -----

Taking the kids to a swim/dive team dance tonight.  Wearing a button-down shirt I haven't worn in probably three years or so because it got kinda tight.  Tonight it fits again.  Calling that an early win for 2024.

That sure is Doug... Great job.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

That sure is Doug... Great job.

Thanks Joe!  Threw on a new EliteFTS t-shirt this morning and the only section that feels a little snug is the sleeves.  Midsection actually has a little room...😇

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks Joe!  Threw on a new EliteFTS t-shirt this morning and the only section that feels a little snug is the sleeves.  Midsection actually has a little room...😇

Such a good feeling and motivator to keep it up.

When I shed some lbs a few years back I noticed when shaving i could lean in a bit further towards the sink and mirror without my gut hitting the sink.

• Like 1

Spent the last hour or so catching up on @Jedd Johnson's latest emails with articles/videos on The Grip Authority website.

So much excellent information for me to apply in the seven weeks between now and Maryland's Strongest Hands.

And I feel like I'm barely scratching the surface or everything he has out there.  Such a valuable resource for me.

• Like 1

Random 145lb Baby Inch Dumbbell & Half York 75 Attempt 03-02-2024

Different day in the gym - and not just because the kids were downstairs with me.  Did some high volume Deficit Deadlifts and Saxon Bar Wrist Curls to try to work on some weak points.

Hands weren't completely wiped, so I had the random urge to roll out the Baby Inch Dumbbells.  Just wanted to see how I was doing on getting back to pre-holiday strength levels.

Thankfully, the Gods of Grip Baby Inch Dumbbell (145.2lb) felt a lot lighter than it did on Feb 7th, so I'm seeing some progress.

Wish I could say the same for the Full Thomas Inch Replica but it still just spins.  After Maryland's Strongest Hands (seven weeks from today) I need to re-focus my efforts on lifting the Inch.

Musical Inspiration:  "Milk (Ode to Billy)" by Anthrax from the album "Attack of the Killer B's" released in June 1991.

• Like 2

you made mince meat out that baby inch and half york 75!

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

you made mince meat out that baby inch and half york 75!

Thanks, Joe!  Felt good to claw back from some strength setbacks.

<stating the obvious>  Consistency will be key to me eventually lifting the Full Inch.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 1:57 PM, Cannon said:

I splurged and picked up a set of IMTUGs so I don't just have this ridiculous to close Chinese TUG.

For context/comparison, I can rep the IMTUG 6 in the photo with my index and ring fingers (together).  [And based on IronMind's chart, that generally tracks with my ability to take a CoC #2.5 for a decent ride.]

But the Chinese TUG feels about as strong as an IMTUG 7 (which I cannot close).  Definitely "small but mighty" territory here...  hahaha

IMTUG 6 to Chinese TUG - Width.jpg

IMTUG-Chart.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Douglas Carney said:

I splurged and picked up a set of IMTUGs so I don't just have this ridiculous to close Chinese TUG.

For context/comparison, I can rep the IMTUG 6 in the photo with my index and ring fingers (together).  [And based on IronMind's chart, that generally tracks with my ability to take a CoC #2.5 for a decent ride.]

As for my training, my ring/pinkie seem to be the weak link.  So I'm kind of glad I finally made the leap so I could work on this...  All part of a greater plan to branch out beyond blobs and the Inch.

• Like 1

Nemesis Grips Unboxing and Attempting the Rolling Thumber and Rolling Hub of Asgard 03-04-2024

Tried out two new, innovative grip tools from Nemesis Grips today...the Rolling Thumber and Rolling Hub of Asgard.

Both will seriously work your thumbs and force you to get stronger to conquer your Nememsis.

Musical Inspiration:  "Raining Blood" by Slayer from the album "Reign in Blood" released in October 1986 and "War Ensemble" by Slayer from the album "Seasons in the Abyss" released in October 1990.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Nemesis Grips Unboxing and Attempting the Rolling Thumber and Rolling Hub of Asgard 03-04-2024

Tried out two new, innovative grip tools from Nemesis Grips today...the Rolling Thumber and Rolling Hub of Asgard.

Both will seriously work your thumbs and force you to get stronger to conquer your Nememsis.

Musical Inspiration:  "Raining Blood" by Slayer from the album "Reign in Blood" released in October 1986 and "War Ensemble" by Slayer from the album "Seasons in the Abyss" released in October 1990.

Those things look stupid difficult.😐

• Like 1

9 hours ago, matek said:

Those things look stupid difficult.😐

Yup.  Crazy hard.

I have the 2" version, but for context...there's a records page for the 1.75" version of the Rolling Thumber.

Here's the current rundown:

Men's Records

1. 60 lbs - Zach Ebel (CAN)
2. 59 lbs - Eric Roussin (CAN)
3. 56 lbs - Alex De Zorzi (CAN)
4. 55 lbs - Tremayne Desmarteaux (CAN)
5. 47 lbs - Patrick Landriault (CAN)
6. 47 lbs - Stefano Fortugno (CAN)
7. 46 lbs - Jacob Cogan (CAN)
8. 41 lbs - Brent Halenda (USA)
9. 40 lbs - Andrew Nguyen (CAN)
10. 37 lbs - James Dickinson (USA)
11. 36 lbs - Tayden Jasey (CAN)

Women's Records

1. 35 lbs - Sarah Tolledo (CAN)

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Also for context, @Eric Roussin said the weight for the 1.75" Rolling Thumber will be a 50-lb lift (implement weight and pin included) in the men's medley at the 2024 North American Grip Sport Championships.

So my personal goal is to work up to at least 50lb (total) with each hand using the 2" version.  And then when I hit that...maybe 50lb added.  But one step at a time.  44.8lb total was plenty difficult.  🤪

Edited by Douglas Carney
  • Like 4

Additional Thumb Strengthening Exercises 03-04-2024

Thumbs thoroughly taxed by my new Nemesis Grips tools, but not done yet.

A little inverted dumbbell lift, another attempt on the half York 90 roundhead, and a hold for time with a half York 80 and 85 combo.

Musical Inspiration:  "Machinehead" by Bush from the album "Sixteen Stone" released in December 1994.

• Like 6

Nice work Doug. incredible strength

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice work Doug. incredible strength

Thanks John!

On 3/4/2024 at 10:12 PM, Douglas Carney said:

Interesting.  I have the 2” fixed thumb blaster from Arm Assassin and it works well, but I’d imagine the roller really engages the thumb - might pick one up

After owing the 2” version, I’m curious what your thoughts are on how the 2” vs 1.75” would work better as a hand simulation (for arm wrestling).  Heck, maybe even the 1.5” would be better?   Here are a few pics of my hand (2XL glove) on the 2” vs a 1.75” roller off my country crush handle

Seems that the competition favors the 1.75” and that appears to be a bit more like a two hand width measurement side to side?  I can really get my thumb much more engaged on the 1.75” though, which allows a more arm wrestling pronation downward movement  

BDE8D410-63F9-4889-B174-2170C6918BCA.jpeg

IMG_6547.jpeg

Edited by maidenfan
  • Like 1