2024 North American Grip Sport Championships - June 1-2

Eric Roussin

4 minutes ago, WorksinaPinch said:

This looks brutal! How do you define a successful lift for the deadlift style of lifts and the rear sledge lever?

For the medley I’m not looking for lockout, but I am looking for control. Basically once an implement is lifted a few inches and a signal is given by the official, the implement can be set down. Any type of drop will not be allowed, as it does not demonstrate control.

As for the sledge lift to the rear, a coin will be placed on the head and the sledge will need to be raised about 10 inches to a platform without the coin falling off (it can fall off once the sledge hits the platform).

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, WorksinaPinch said:

This looks brutal! How do you define a successful lift for the deadlift style of lifts and the rear sledge lever?

I think I asked you this in 2020, so sorry to ask again: what is the Red rafter and what is a clamp grip?

The Red Rafter looks like a pinch block curl device, but not quite as thick. You grab it as though you were holding a sheet of drywall by the side. I’m sure there’s a better term for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd be so psyched if I could do even do like 8 of those, definitely a nice gauntlet 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Given a few qualified competitors will not be able to attend this contest, I'm extending the qualification criteria to anyone who is ranked in the top 10 of their class in the North American Grip Rankings: http://www.canadagripsport.com/rankings.html

Registration is still open for all classes, but I'm particularly looking to add a few entries to the men's 93 kg and men's 120+ kg classes.

Please reach out if you are qualified and would like to register. eroussin@rogers.com 

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a rules video or document for the double shallow inch pinch anywhere? Just want to make sure any lifts we have in contest here in Australia are valid for GSI (can the middle finger be pressing on the plate or main block in any way or does it need to be clear for example)

PXL_20240219_043956231.jpg

7 hours ago, PinchByPinch said:

Is there a rules video or document for the double shallow inch pinch anywhere? Just want to make sure any lifts we have in contest here in Australia are valid for GSI (can the middle finger be pressing on the plate or main block in any way or does it need to be clear for example)

PXL_20240219_043956231.jpg

This is intended to be a test of key pinch strength, so I feel shifting the index forward to get the side of the middle finger involved, like in the picture, is not in the spirit of the lift. (I don’t think anyone would use a key in this manner.) 

I’ll try to put some written rules and/or a video together this week. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

This is intended to be a test of key pinch strength, so I feel shifting the index forward to get the side of the middle finger involved, like in the picture, is not in the spirit of the lift. (I don’t think anyone would use a key in this manner.) 

I’ll try to put some written rules and/or a video together this week. 

Thanks Eric, I think if it was thumb and index allowed only it would be easier to judge but like the finball the finger stacking or having extra force from fingers applied does help (I'd even suggest if a key was stuck pressing against the index with the middle finger while turning would definitely help) and that's where it's easy for the middle finger to start to press or even wrap around as shown.

For those of you keeping track, to date I've only announced 37 of the 40 feats that will be included in the men's medley. One of the three remaining feats will be the 1.75" Rolling Thumber, pictured here. This will be a 50-lb lift (implement weight and pin included). A good test of thumb strength!

The Rolling Thumber was developed by and can be purchased from Nemesis Grips: https://nemesisgrips.ca/collections/pinch-strength/products/rolling-thumber

rollingthumber.JPG

• Like 4

Double Shallow Inch Pinch Rules:

This is a two-handed lift. Competitors must grasp each block using a key pinch style -- only the thumb and the index finger of each hand can come into contact with the blocks. The thumb and index fingers can be angled as desired. Other fingers can be stacked against the index finger. Contact with the top of the base plate is permissible, however grasping the side or underneath portion of the base plate, or the ends of the bars, is not allowed.  

The lift height for the event will be 6”.

Slight tilt is allowed for this lift (maximum 30 degrees).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

With the event now just three months away, I'll be making more announcements and sharing additional details. If you're coming or thinking of coming, I strongly encourage you to follow the Facebook event page, because that's where I'll be posting everything:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1033327417942414

ANNOUNCEMENT - Updated weights for the women's medley

Upon further testing, I've decided to increase the weights for a handful of the challenges in the women's medley. Below is the updated list. Note that there are still two mystery events that are yet to be revealed.

Each women's division competitor will have three minutes to complete as many of the following feats as possible:

Lift two 50-lb scale weights with one hand
Lift a 100-lb anvil by the horn
Lift 45 lbs with the Canadian Puck Tug
Pronate 10 lbs with the IronMind Heavy Hammer II Leverage Bar from floor to vertical
Lift 115 lbs with the 2.25” Crusher
Lift 80 lbs with the Rolling Thunder
Lift 100 lbs with the FBBC 2.5” Jug
Close an IronMind IMTug #2 Gripper with the pinky finger
Close an IronMind Captains of Crush #1 Gripper from at least a parallel set
Lift 35 lbs with the World of Grip Shallow Hub
Close an IronMind Captains of Crush #1.5 Gripper from at least a parallel set
Lift 40 lbs with the World of Grip Gold Bar
Lift with 20 lbs the World of Grip MoonTop
Lift 300 lbs with Monkee Grips
Lift 55 lbs with the Thumb Blaster (1.5” version)
Perform a sledge finger walk (4-lb sledge with 5 lbs added weight – 6” distance to travel)
Lift 130 lbs with the World of Grip Fence Post
Lift 10 lbs with the JokaBug Pluto
Tear a Phone Book (1” thick)
Lift 45 lbs with the IronMind Pinch Block
Lift 105 lbs with the FBBC Grab Ball
Lift 220 lbs with the 2” Country Crush Double Rolling Handle
Lift 60 lbs with the JokaBug Dabloom (two hands)
Lift a 35-lb plate by the hub
Lift a 49-lb anvil by the face
Lift a 32.5-lb Blob
Lift 40 lbs with the Inch Pinch
Lift 230 lbs with the Dube I-Beam

Happy training!

• 3 weeks later...

A heads up that with the way sign-ups are coming along, I'll likely need to shut down registration ahead of schedule. We're currently up to 34 participants, and while the venue is great and we'll have the run of the place, it has just a single toilet. So I'll only be allowing a few more athletes. If you're qualified and have been sitting on the fence until now, the coming days would be a good time to make the call if participating in this elite contest is important to you.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Registrations will close this coming Friday (April 19). If you're qualified and not yet registered, you have just a few more days to decide.

Hi Eric I have a question regarding this feat

"Perform a sledge finger walk (4-lb sledge with 12.5 lbs added weight – 6” distance to travel)"

Is this with the hammer upright, at the side of your thigh and you work down the handle, index finger first? 

Or is it held up and out to the side and you work downward, pinky first?

2 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Hi Eric I have a question regarding this feat

"Perform a sledge finger walk (4-lb sledge with 12.5 lbs added weight – 6” distance to travel)"

Is this with the hammer upright, at the side of your thigh and you work down the handle, index finger first? 

Or is it held up and out to the side and you work downward, pinky first?

Hammer pointing downward, so as you finger walk the hammer head goes up. Index close to the floor, pinky close to the ceiling.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

Hammer pointing downward, so as you finger walk the hammer head goes up. Index close to the floor, pinky close to the ceiling.

Thank you Eric.

• Like 1