Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

Hey Doug , moving right along ,good work

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1.75" Rolling Thumber - NEW PR - 54.0 lb Total 03-27-2024

Embracing and enjoying the challenge of the 1.75" Rolling Thumber handle I bought from Andrew Nguyen at Nemesis Grips.

Loaded up exactly 54.0 lb on the dot again for another attempt to add a bit of weight by my name on the record list.

Thankfully this time 54.0 lb flew up.  Nearly hit 57.0lb but that will need to wait for another day.

Musical Inspiration:  "Awaken" by Dethklok from "The Dethalbum" released in September 2007.

• Like 3

“Coke Can – Kettlebell” to 16” Plyo Box for 11 reps 03-27-2024

This was just a fun finisher after 2" Napalm Nightmare, the Rolling Thumber, and some dumbbell lifts.

Musical Inspiration:  "Thunderhorse" by Dethklok from "The Dethalbum" released in September 2007.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Doug , moving right along ,good work

Thanks John!  Trying not to rush it...  So, taking it slow.

• Like 2

1.75" Rolling Thumber - FAILS - 57.0 lb Total 03-27-2024

Part of the fun with the 1.75" Rolling Thumber handle from Nemesis Grips is the frustration of fighting for every pound.

Case in point...I got greedy yesterday after a new PR at 54.0 lb, so I switched to a pair of 25s for 57.0 lb total.  Everything was fine until the last inch or so...  hahaha

Musical Inspiration:  "One Step Closer" by Linkin Park from "Hybrid Theory" released in October 2000.

• Like 3

Quick Gripper Test Run - Right Hand Recovery 03-28-2024

Left hand needed a rest day after thumb work yesterday.  So, I decided to do a quick gripper test rn with my right hand.

Grippers attempted (in order):

•  IronMind Captains of Crush Guide (RGC 27)
  •  Ironmind Captains of Crush Sport (RGC 37)
  •  Cannon Powerworks Standard Gripper Tin [Sn] (RGC 51)
  •  Tetting Thor Beginner (RGC 55)
  •  Cannon Powerworks Standard Gripper Zinc [Zn] (RGC 60)
  •  Gillingham High Performance Level 2 (RGC 61)
  •  GNC 100 [FILED] (RGC 69)
  •  IronMind Captains of Crush #0.5 (RGC 70)
  •  Gillingham High Performance Level 3 (RGC 70)
  •  Gillingham High Performance Level 3 [FILED] (RGC 76)
  •  Powerball 200 (RGC 80)
  •  IronMind Captains of Crush #1 [FILED] (RGC 80)
  •  Cannon Powerworks Standard Gripper Silver [Ag] (RGC 85)
  •  Gillingham High Performance Level 4 (RGC 87)

Musical Inspiration:  "The Call of Ktulu" by Metallica from the album "Ride the Lightning" released in July 1984.

• Like 6

1.75" Rolling Thumber - NEW PR - 57.0 lb Total 04-01-2024

Surprisingly good night with the 1.75" Rolling Thumber handle from Andrew Nguyen at Nemesis Grips.

Loaded up 57.0 lb for another attempt to add a bit of weight by my name on the record list.

Thankfully this time I actually hit the knock bar.

Musical Inspiration:  "Given Up" by Linkin Park from the album "Minutes to Midnight" released in March 2007.

• Like 2

York NextGen Blob - First Good Lift in a L-O-N-G Time 04-01-2024

I suppose the one upside of hurting my right hand is I can focus on my left. So that's exactly what I've been doing for tbe past few weeks.

And frankly...I've been neglecting the York blobs.  So I'm taking a little break from the hex head block weights and going back to basics as well.

Together...that resulted in a surprisingly solid litle with a wee bit of a hold tonight.

Musical Inspiration:  "Break Stuff" by Limp Bizkit from the album "Significant Other" released in June 1999.

• Like 5

Holy cow Doug, good lift. That is one of my favorite songs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

York NextGen Blob - First Good Lift in a L-O-N-G Time 04-01-2024

I suppose the one upside of hurting my right hand is I can focus on my left. So that's exactly what I've been doing for tbe past few weeks.

And frankly...I've been neglecting the York blobs.  So I'm taking a little break from the hex head block weights and going back to basics as well.

Together...that resulted in a surprisingly solid litle with a wee bit of a hold tonight.

Musical Inspiration:  "Break Stuff" by Limp Bizkit from the album "Significant Other" released in June 1999.

That came up like nothing. And nice hold!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, matek said:

That came up like nothing. And nice hold!

Thanks Matek! Truly unexpected but felt absolutely awesome.

• Like 1

For what it's worth,  I was never 💯% satisfied with my original NextGen lift last year because the numbers weren't facing up (which gave me some extra texture).

So this most recent lift was a re-do for me to prove to myself (a) I can lift this thing again AND (b) do it better/cleaner than the first time.

On a related note, I'm still chasing the FatMan lift to remove that asterisk/parenthetical by my name on the Grip Feat List. 🙄

Maybe I'm over-thinking it, but not replicating the full feat by Richard Sorin will bug me until I do...

8 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

On a related note, I'm still chasing the FatMan lift to remove that asterisk/parenthetical by my name on the Grip Feat List. 🙄

What do you mean Doug?

21 minutes ago, matek said:

What do you mean Doug?

Maybe I was thinking of the FacePick saying "NextGen" by my name...

But still, I know I haven't done a clean, full FatMan lift to lockout so that's something on my personal list.

Same for the FacePick. I lifted a FatMan after Heavy Hands last fall but didn't get it on my phone and @lder is the only one that saw it.

So it would be cool to do that again after a comp. Maybe even Maryland's Strongest Hands in a few weeks...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Holy cow Doug, good lift. That is one of my favorite songs.

Thanks John!  I was listening to the Turbo channel on my Sirius XM app and that song happened to come up right up as I was about to make my attempt.  Perfect timing for a little extra energy...

• Like 2

On 04/03/2024 at 08:36, Douglas Carney said:

J'ai fait des folies et j'ai acheté un ensemble d'IMTUG pour ne pas avoir ce ridicule de fermer le TUG chinois.

Pour le contexte/comparaison, je peux représenter l'IMTUG 6 sur la photo avec mon index et mon annulaire (ensemble). [Et d'après le graphique d'IronMind, cela correspond généralement à ma capacité à prendre un CoC n°2,5 pour un trajet décent.]

Mais le TUG chinois semble aussi puissant qu'un IMTUG 7 (que je n'arrive pas à fermer). Un territoire définitivement "petit mais puissant" ici... hahaha

IMTUG 6 vers TUG chinois - Largeur.jpg

IMTUG-Chart.jpg

I know too well that this clamp is specific and legitimate. I know its hardness

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Four weeks ago today I had a wood working accident and didn't know how it would play out.  But today the doc said things look good and I don't need to see him again!  Can't describe how relieved and fortunate I feel right now.

Got ridiculously lucky that things weren't worse and healed up as quickly as they did.  Won't be 💯% for Maryland's Strongest Hands...but at least I won't be rolling in all bandaged and splinted up either.  Very grateful for that...

04-04-2024 Thumb & Index.jpg

• Like 6

LOOKING GOOD, Let the contest begin.

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

LOOKING GOOD, Let the contest begin.

Thanks John!  Already planning tomorrow's workout...  😇

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Thanks John!  Already planning tomorrow's workout...  😇

glad to hear you got the thumbs up from the Dr.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

glad to hear you got the thumbs up from the Dr.

I could probably make a thumb joke right now...but I'll let it go.  😂🤣😅

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Four weeks ago today I had a wood working accident and didn't know how it would play out.  But today the doc said things look good and I don't need to see him again!  Can't describe how relieved and fortunate I feel right now.

Got ridiculously lucky that things weren't worse and healed up as quickly as they did.  Won't be 💯% for Maryland's Strongest Hands...but at least I won't be rolling in all bandaged and splinted up either.  Very grateful for that...

QUICK UPDATE:  Thumb is already looking mildly better this morning.  Some of the purple scab-like stuff is starting to loosen up so I can see the nice new skin underneath.  Going to resist the urge to do anything thumb specific until it flakes off on it's own (versus perhaps ripping it off before it's ready).  So no axle or saxon today...  Perhaps grippers though!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

... Perhaps grippers though!

Did some gripper work today.  Silver Bullet practice with a 9lb weight.

Right hand was fine until I hit 96 RGC and it started feeling like a bit too much pressure on the top of my index finger (where things are a little tight and chewed up still).

Left hand I couldn't really set properly because of my right thumb.  That cut was exactly where I'd push the gripper into my left hand (if that makes sense).

Speaking of my right thumb...it was a little angry after grippers (along with an already angry index finger).  Little bit of that scab-like stuff came up while I was trying to set an 85 RGC in my left hand.

It's perfectly fine now (after trimming off the dead skin) but that was enough for me to pack it up.  Not trying to rush things and open it back up again...

• Like 3

On 4/1/2024 at 9:29 PM, Douglas Carney said:

1.75" Rolling Thumber - NEW PR - 57.0 lb Total 04-01-2024

Surprisingly good night with the 1.75" Rolling Thumber handle from Andrew Nguyen at Nemesis Grips.

Loaded up 57.0 lb for another attempt to add a bit of weight by my name on the record list.

Thankfully this time I actually hit the knock bar.

Five pounds may not sound like a much...but finding five more pounds on the 1.75" Rolling Thumber handle (to take the record) feels like a tall mountain to climb.  But I'm up for an adventure...🤔

Rolling Thumber Record List  - 57lb.png

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Five pounds may not sound like a much...but finding five more pounds on the 1.75" Rolling Thumber handle (to take the record) feels like a tall mountain to climb.  But I'm up for an adventure...🤔

Rolling Thumber Record List  - 57lb.png

You've got this

• Thanks 1