Doug Dude's Training Highlights

Douglas Carney

3 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You've got this

Thanks Joe!

First Pain-Free Gripper Day in Nearly Five Weeks 04-09-2024

Right hand is still on the mend but doing a lot better.  So much so that it surprised me a bit today!

Got a new (to me) Robert Baraban 130 delivered today and I can never seem to wait to try things out.  Today was no different...

Anyway, I picked it up cold, no chalk and gave it a squeeze.  Didn't even take the time to set it because I figured my hand would hurt as soon as I started.

But sure enough it closed and my index finger wasn't throbbing!  So I immediately grabbed my phone and tried it again just to "prove" it to myself.

According to ratings data from Cannon Powerworks these grippers only average around 78 RGC.

And yeah...the TNS attempts on camera weren't a grinding smash of a crush.  And yeah...when I did set it...I didn't hold it long enough to clearly show it closed.

But this little glimmer of success gives me hope that there's light at the end of the tunnel and I'll get back to full-on training sooner rather than later.  So I'm calling that a win.

• Like 7

Revisiting Gripper Table No Set Attempts 04-09-2024

Right hand finally felt up for revisiting the Table No Set attempt of my Cannon PowerWorks Copper [Cu] Standard Gripper (RGC 108).  Not even close but at least it didn't hurt to give it a go.

Dropped down to a Heavy Grips 250 (RGC 105) but that went only marginally better.  All things considered...I'd call it a decent attempt along the road to recovery.

Musical Inspiration:  "March of the S.O.D." by S.O.D. (Stormtroopers of Death) from the album "Speak English or Die" released in August 1985.

• Like 6

Random cool moment today...

My daughter (10) invited a new friend to hang out at our house after the school science fair.  Despite the tv, video games, toys, etc downstairs...her friend went straight to the GHP Junior grippers I have on a stand by my recliner.  😊

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

My daughter (10) invited a new friend to hang out at our house after the school science fair.  Despite the tv, video games, toys, etc downstairs...her friend went straight to the GHP Junior grippers I have on a stand by my recliner.  😊

Maybe you have a new training partner some day. That’s great

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

If it was my house I probably would have been waiting at the door with the appropriate gripper in hand. I do try and spread the word.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Maybe you have a new training partner some day. That’s great

My daughter certainly seems curious.  And she does like to do the monkey bars (thumbless).

46 minutes ago, kurtwpg said:

If it was my house I probably would have been waiting at the door with the appropriate gripper in hand. I do try and spread the word.

...and yeah.  I'm not terribly subtle about spreading the word about grip.  😂🤣😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My wife got a babysitter so we could do a date night walk and dinner.  Feel like I "earned" that margarita...  😇

Steps for a Margarita.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Baby Inch Dumbbells Holds for Time 04-17-2024

The Thomas Inch Dumbbell Replica has been on the back burner for so long, I needed to go back to basics tonight.

Just holds for time with the  “Coke Can – Kettlebell” (116.8lb) and Gods of Grip Baby Inch Dumbbell (145.2lb).

Musical Inspiration:  "(sic)" by Slipknot from the album "Slipknot" released in June 1999.

• Like 2

Half York 60 and 85 Dumbbells Hold for Time 04-17-2024

Trying to build my right hand strength back up for wide pinch.  Also seemed like a good opportunity for a little endurance test with my left.

Just a hold for time with half York 60 (29.70lb) and 85 (41.05lb) dumbbells.

Musical Inspiration:  "Wait and Bleed" by Slipknot from the album "Slipknot" released in June 1999.

• Like 3

Half York 90 Dumbbell Hold for Time 04-17-2024

My right hand was done at this point, but my left pushed onward.

Just a hold for time with a half York 90 (46.90lb) dumbbell.

Musical Inspiration:  "Duality" by Slipknot from the album "Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)" released in May 2004.

• Like 4

Six weeks after my woodworking accident and just over a week until Maryland's Strongest Hands.  Happy to say that things are healing up crazy fast and strength is slowly coming back.

Clearly I goofed up my training schedule with this little detour, but feel very fortunate.  A few millimeters deeper and things could have turned out very differently for me.

Looking forward to meeting/competing with @Vinnie and @maidenfan in-person.  @lder runs an excellent contest so it should be a great day no matter my total points.

RIght Hand Update 04-18-2024.jpg

• Like 4

Nice work in those vids Doug. So glad, could have been much worse.

I’ve had some very close calls myself and try to take the good out of it and learn something. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Six weeks after my woodworking accident and just over a week until Maryland's Strongest Hands.  Happy to say that things are healing up crazy fast and strength is slowly coming back.

Clearly I goofed up my training schedule with this little detour, but feel very fortunate.  A few millimeters deeper and things could have turned out very differently for me.

Looking forward to meeting/competing with @Vinnie and @maidenfan in-person.  @lder runs an excellent contest so it should be a great day no matter my total points.

Phew!  Heal fast young padawan.

I am really looking forward to coming, but I have not lost the weight I hoped to lose or trained at all.  So I will be coming in finding out my pre-training baselines, instead of chasing PRs and $150 prizes.

On the bright side, I did lose enough weight to come in as 80kg for arm lifting, and usually I need to cut the last few days to get that low.  So I may be able to get down even a little further, maybe 170 pounds, and at least make it look like I MIGHT do a double BW axle or a 1.3 BW Saxon.  But at 170 and untrained, those feats will elude me, as I have never come within 10 per cent of either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice work in those vids Doug. So glad, could have been much worse.

I’ve had some very close calls myself and try to take the good out of it and learn something. 

Thanks Joe!  My wife said I should stick with sandpaper at next year's pinewood derby workshops...NO power tools!!!  😂🤣😅

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Phew!  Heal fast young padawan.

I am really looking forward to coming, but I have not lost the weight I hoped to lose or trained at all.  So I will be coming in finding out my pre-training baselines, instead of chasing PRs and $150 prizes.

On the bright side, I did lose enough weight to come in as 80kg for arm lifting, and usually I need to cut the last few days to get that low.  So I may be able to get down even a little further, maybe 170 pounds, and at least make it look like I MIGHT do a double BW axle or a 1.3 BW Saxon.  But at 170 and untrained, those feats will elude me, as I have never come within 10 per cent of either.

I plan to do a little axle and saxon practice tomorrow so the comp won't be my first time touching either in 7 weeks.  Main thing is just making sure I can at least lift the starting weight so I don't zero out.  The Sorinex saxon's rounded corners make it deceptively hard compared to my bar.  🙄

That's cool you're within the realm of possibility for prize money.  I either need to lose 95lbs this week or add 190lbs to my deadlift to pull a double.  Saxon I'd have to pull 318lb which is just laughable... 🤪

• Like 3

On 4/18/2024 at 8:18 AM, Douglas Carney said:

I won’t be there, Doug, as I’ve trashed my arms arm wrestling lol.  I asked the promoter to donate my entry to a worthy grip noob so they could have some fun. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, maidenfan said:

I won’t be there, Doug, as I’ve trashed my arms arm wrestling lol.  I asked the promoter to donate my entry to a worthy grip noob so they could have some fun. 

Sorry to hear that, Morgan.  Was looking forward to a little friendly competition between you, Vinnie, and me for unofficial 50+ bragging rights.

For what it's worth, it's fun reading about your arm wrestling training and competing.  Wishing you continued success in the sport!

• Like 1

Cub Scout/Family Camping Trip to Greenbrier State Park.  Beautiful setting and great weather for our outing.

These things are a workout, though!  So much gear to pack, carry, and set up/tear down.  Then there's the hiking and other activities.  FitBit stats say it all...

Greenbrier State Park.jpg

Step Badge & Count.jpg

Floor Badge & Count.jpg

• Like 3

I know what mean . But fun work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

I know what mean . But fun work.

So much fun! Buddy of mine sent me a couple of pics from the trip - group photo down by the lake during a hike and one of everybody hanging out at our campsite cooking/eating dinner together. Brought a smile to my face this morning.

• Like 2

NON-GRIP RELATED

Had to wear a suit to work this morning. Apparently I'm getting an award later today. Don't know any more than that...just a crytic email asking me if I was planning on coming in-person and could join a luncheon before the ceremony.

Anyway...the REALLY BIG NEWS is my suit pants finally fit again. (Like "legit fit"...not squeeze into them and hope I don't pop a button or split a seam.)

Makes me feel like I've finally made some real progress undoing four years of wearing lounge pants and DoorDashing fast food while working from home. Taken some work but feeling pretty good this morning.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

NON-GRIP RELATED

Had to wear a suit to work this morning. Apparently I'm getting an award later today. Don't know any more than that...just a crytic email asking me if I was planning on coming in-person and could join a luncheon before the ceremony.

Anyway...the REALLY BIG NEWS is my suit pants finally fit again. (Like "legit fit"...not squeeze into them and hope I don't pop a button or split a seam.)

Makes me feel like I've finally made some real progress undoing four years of wearing lounge pants and DoorDashing fast food while working from home. Taken some work but feeling pretty good this morning.

Congrats on the reward and on the weight loss. great news all around

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Congrats on the reward and on the weight loss. great news all around

Thanks Joe! Not bad for an early Monday morning...

• Like 1

GREAT JOB on the weight loss journey. Congratulations on the award.

hard work pays off.

• Thanks 1