Derek's Bending Log

vikingsrule92

Knees going forward, I forgot to put that sorry.

Your knees are SUPPOSED to go forward on ATG squats. ATG squats are often full olympic squats for the more flexible among us(myself included). I'm willing to bet your included in that crowd at 5'10 sub-160. With full olympic/ATG squats, the lower back rounds at the very bottom position and the knees go over the toes to accomodate the depth. It puts a MUCH greater emphasis on the hamstrings and glutes than your typical powerlifting style squat, even if it's IPF legal depth. Check out Ivan Chakarov here doing the NO NO NO squats and you'll see that world class olympic lifter's knees go past their toes all the time. Now if your knees were going past your toes on power squats or wide stance squats, you've got a weird problem.

Huh, I was not aware of that. I guess I'll post a video of my squats so I can embarrass myself weight-wise :D and you and others can analyze technique. My stance is semi-wide, wider then his, probably just outside of shoulder width so I'm not sure if I'm good or not. Interesting.

Hahaha Matt, don't get too cocky, I can beat you in near everything grip ;) And we already agreed I beat you pound for pound on bench :laugh

Your knees are SUPPOSED to go forward on ATG squats. ATG squats are often full olympic squats for the more flexible among us(myself included). I'm willing to bet your included in that crowd at 5'10 sub-160. With full olympic/ATG squats, the lower back rounds at the very bottom position and the knees go over the toes to accomodate the depth. It puts a MUCH greater emphasis on the hamstrings and glutes than your typical powerlifting style squat, even if it's IPF legal depth. Check out Ivan Chakarov here doing the NO NO NO squats and you'll see that world class olympic lifter's knees go past their toes all the time. Now if your knees were going past your toes on power squats or wide stance squats, you've got a weird problem.

Huh, I was not aware of that. I guess I'll post a video of my squats so I can embarrass myself weight-wise :D and you and others can analyze technique. My stance is semi-wide, wider then his, probably just outside of shoulder width so I'm not sure if I'm good or not. Interesting.

Just remember, good raw squatters never squat like

and almost always like

Justy curious, how much do you guys weigh and bench?

*sigh* Everyone asks about bench numbers when it's my worst lift :D I never trained for a max. At 5'7" and 210 lbs I worked up to 205x5, and never went over 205.

My squat and DL maxes are 335 and 405, for comparison.

So, Derek, are you saying there might actually be a grip exercise I can top you at? Maybe horseshoes? I can't remember your PR there. A DC2 to 180 is my best, probably.

Hahaha Matt, don't get too cocky, I can beat you in near everything grip ;) And we already agreed I beat you pound for pound on bench :laugh

255@183 I'm capable of more right now I think.

255@183 I'm capable of more right now I think.

NO one asked you Zach! :laugh:D

Back when I actually benched I got about 170x3 at 145. Matt, I think you have me beat at OHDL, but I've never tried I'm just assuming here. I've never gotten a chance at a DC2, but I got a DC1 (harder) to 110, a DC0 to 135, and a DS1 to 120; I don't have any finishing strength it appears.

Semi-light workout today

Light gripper stuff, right hand is really weak, trying to take it easy.

Kettlebells!!

LOTS of screwing around with my 16kg.

LCC&J 16kg (AKC) 10 minute Test at 5 RPM with only one hand switch. Not too bad for my first long set, I wasnt expecting to make all of the 10 mins, but by the ends I was DRENCHED in sweat. Damn this stuff is fun! Slow pace, I'll speed up to 6-8 for the next set.

Axle DO DLs 255 - 8x3 Pretty tough, I think it was tougher on my back then grip, lol shows how weak my back is, or how strong my grip is, not sure which ;) Going to shoot for 265 for my last pre-comp workout

Edited by vikingsrule92

Semi-light workout today

Kettlebells!!

LCC&J 16kg (AKC) 10 minute Test at 5 RPM with only one hand switch. Not too bad for my first long set, I wasnt expecting to make all of the 10 mins, but by the ends I was DRENCHED in sweat. Damn this stuff is fun! Slow pace, I'll speed up to 6-8 for the next set.

Axle DO DLs 255 - 8x3 Pretty tough, I think it was tougher on my back then grip, lol shows how weak my back is, or how strong my grip is, not sure which ;) Going to shoot for 265 for my last pre-comp workout

Derek

that is very good to make it a full ten minutes. Most men will crumple in a heap by the 7 minute mark. Are you currently working with anyone to get your form spot on? there are a lot of little details with the long cycle. work on your rack endurance, and make sure your bell is sitting directly on the heel of the palm with NO flexation in the wrist as you rest. any energy expended other than jerks or cleans is energy wasted. if you can get your elbow all the way down to sit on your lilac crest. if your arms are too short (like mine) work with the modified postion by turning your body slightly and resting the elbow on the oblique or hip. the rest position will also expand your shoulder flexibility which will translate to better DO bends.

You will find that learning to relax under the load will translate in to better lifts with other skills. dont focus on the weight, focus on the reps.

-Adam

Semi-light workout today

Kettlebells!!

Derek

that is very good to make it a full ten minutes. Most men will crumple in a heap by the 7 minute mark. Are you currently working with anyone to get your form spot on? there are a lot of little details with the long cycle. work on your rack endurance, and make sure your bell is sitting directly on the heel of the palm with NO flexation in the wrist as you rest. any energy expended other than jerks or cleans is energy wasted. if you can get your elbow all the way down to sit on your lilac crest. if your arms are too short (like mine) work with the modified postion by turning your body slightly and resting the elbow on the oblique or hip. the rest position will also expand your shoulder flexibility which will translate to better DO bends.

You will find that learning to relax under the load will translate in to better lifts with other skills. dont focus on the weight, focus on the reps.

-Adam

Thanks Adam!! No, I don't have a coach, but my next set I'm going to video then put on IGX for form critique or send to Catherine Imes for critique. The last couple reps were really sloppy, and I'm sure I'm nowhere near perfect but that's why I'm starting light and I'll work on form. I wish I had access to a coach or the money to go to an AKC seminar but I don't. Where is the lilac crest, I couldn't find it on wikipedia, I was resting on the hip I think? I was focusing on reps, and trying to relax but like I nsaid, it's early so it's nowhere near perfect.

EDIT: Ohhh, you mean the iliac crest right? Yeah that's about where I was racking it.

Edited by vikingsrule92

I bent a #2 SCUL today for free!! Haha I bent it for this lady at my horseshoe store who thought I was BSing when I said I was bending the horseshoes I had been buying. I did it in ~30 secs, but I got it to 180 in about 3 really easy hits, hearting it was very slightly challenging. Great to see the look on her face afterwards :laugh She put the heart on the counter top for future conversation :D

I bent a #2 SCUL today for free!! Haha I bent it for this lady at my horseshoe store who thought I was BSing when I said I was bending the horseshoes I had been buying. I did it in ~30 secs, but I got it to 180 in about 3 really easy hits, hearting it was very slightly challenging. Great to see the look on her face afterwards :laugh She put the heart on the counter top for future conversation :D

Heh. That's funny. I told the cashier at Tractor Supply once I was going to bend the shoes I was buying. I'm not sure she believed me, but I wasn't prepared for an extemporanous bend. Still, there can't be that many reasons for buying mismatched pairs of every size shoe they sell :D

Heh. That's funny. I told the cashier at Tractor Supply once I was going to bend the shoes I was buying. I'm not sure she believed me, but I wasn't prepared for an extemporanous bend. Still, there can't be that many reasons for buying mismatched pairs of every size shoe they sell :D

"Extemporaneous: speaking or performing with little or no advance preparation" :happy

Great job Derek!!! I've never bothered telling them why I was buying odd #'s of shoes. When I first went in, the lady behind the counter looked at me buying 3 of every shoe and said "You know horses have 4 feet right?". I just smiled and said "I know". I can tell you that Shoes are not regularly sold at my area TS's. I've witnessed and helped so many newbie counter guys and gals find the prices in their little black and red(depends on the store) books. They're under "Miscelanious" not under Equine and in the back of the book. I used to know the part #'s :blush

"Extemporaneous: speaking or performing with little or no advance preparation" :happy

Great job Derek!!! I've never bothered telling them why I was buying odd #'s of shoes. When I first went in, the lady behind the counter looked at me buying 3 of every shoe and said "You know horses have 4 feet right?". I just smiled and said "I know". I can tell you that Shoes are not regularly sold at my area TS's. I've witnessed and helped so many newbie counter guys and gals find the prices in their little black and red(depends on the store) books. They're under "Miscelanious" not under Equine and in the back of the book. I used to know the part #'s :blush

I always buy pairs, but one day the lady behind the counter finally asked me (after coming in about 4 times in two weeks :D) if I was shoeing, or doing a project or what? So I told her! She believed me but when I brought in bent shoes another time to show her, her superior (of some sort, it's a small shoe store with a BIG supply) didn't believe I really did it with my hands, so I showed her today :laugh. Her two dogs were FREAKING while I was doing this, the small one jumped on me when I was getting fired up, haha if it wasn't such an easy shoe it might have thrown me off my game.

Matt, NO big words on GB, me too stupid to understand yo big smart folk words :laugh

Josh, hahaha nice man!! I like the don't mess with the cook line. Next time I go to the shoe store I'll have to ask them what the horse shoer folks thought of the bent shoe. She said she was going to tell them they pulled it off a horse :D

Edited by vikingsrule92

Matt, NO big words on GB, me too stupid to understand yo big smart folk words :laugh

I read a lot, so I have a decent vocabulary, but you better hope you're smarter than me. If not, the Burger King near me is hiring :fear

I read a lot, so I have a decent vocabulary, but you better hope you're smarter than me. If not, the Burger King near me is hiring :fear

Haha I don't know you well enough to say for sure, but maybe. You live in NY, they don't breed em smart up there :laugh hahahaha jk I knew what extemporaneous meant anyway, I was just making a joke since Zach defined it in his post.

You live in NY, they don't breed em smart up there :laugh hahahaha jk

Yeah, but I came from Massachusetts. The jury's out on which state is dumber :D

Hahaha Hey my bro is in Mass, but he was born in Cali so yeah :laugh So does that mean all the MIT and Harvard kids must be from out of state? ;)

So does that mean all the MIT and Harvard kids must be from out of state? ;)

Pretty much, yeah. The valedictorian of my class got rejected by MIT.

So does that mean all the MIT and Harvard kids must be from out of state? ;)

Pretty much, yeah. The valedictorian of my class got rejected by MIT.

Jeez,

The Valedictorian and another guy in my class both graduated from there. They have some great stories.

- Aaron

Jeez,

The Valedictorian and another guy in my class both graduated from there. They have some great stories.

- Aaron

Heh. My physics teacher went to MIT and he had some good stories, too. The Valedictorian ended up at Cal-Tech and works for NASA now, so my sympathy level is low :D None of my class went to Ivy-League schools. In fact I doubt if more than 25% even went on to college.

Hahaha Hey my bro is in Mass, but he was born in Cali so yeah :laugh So does that mean all the MIT and Harvard kids must be from out of state? ;)

Not just out of state, out of country :laugh

Not just out of state, out of country :laugh

Hahaha, no racism intended, but went I went there, there were Asians EVERYWHERE!!! I think my bro said they made up like 60% of the pop or something crazy like that :blink

I love how my log got into a discussion about colleges in Boston somehow :D Oh well!

All of my bro's stories are from somewhat nerdy to insanely nerdy. Is he not telling me things? Or is he too big a nerd to be involved in all of these "good stories?"

Hahaha, no racism intended, but went I went there, there were Asians EVERYWHERE!!! I think my bro said they made up like 60% of the pop or something crazy like that :blink

I love how my log got into a discussion about colleges in Boston somehow :D Oh well!

All of my bro's stories are from somewhat nerdy to insanely nerdy. Is he not telling me things? Or is he too big a nerd to be involved in all of these "good stories?"

I didn't want to push any buttons...but my valedictorian classmate who got rejected by MIT is half Korean. It is no secret that being Asian actually worked against him because they already make up the majority.

Oh, yeah...nice job with that workout somewhere on the last page :D

Edit - Oh, yeah. MIT is in Cambridge, not Boston.

Edited by The Writer

I don't think it's racist to say that asians, europeans and middle easterners are smart enough to get into american schools that americans aren't smart enough to get into ;) It's not so much funny as it is sad. Enough with the statements then and back to boring old Derek's log.

I don't think it's racist to say that asians, europeans and middle easterners are smart enough to get into american schools that americans aren't smart enough to get into ;) It's not so much funny as it is sad. Enough with the statements then and back to boring old Derek's log.

Thanks Zach, glad you think it's boring. Maybe this workout will make it a bit more interesting

Grippers:

Nothing spectacular, trying to work back up from that bicep injury. I got 3, clean, paused, MMS reps on my 124 and 132. The 132 was binding a lot, after I oiled it I might have been good for 4 or 5.

Blobs:

45 x 1 each

50 Negs

45 x 7L, 6R (reps)

40 (holds) 30s L, 20s R; 27s L, 20s R; 13s Each

A few short 50 Negs, my thumbs were toast.

Braced bending:

My GOD this was horrible. A few months ago I would have KILLED to have braced bending in a comp, now I'm just going to get killed. Too embarrassing to post, my knee isn't conditioned and until the last bend (easy) I couldn't even move it over my knee.

HORSESHOES!!!! :D

3 Lite Rim to 140 degrees!!!!!

2 Lite Rim to 110 degrees!!!!!

1 Lite Rim to just BARELY short of 90!!!!, if I was fresh this would have gone to 100+

I still have no crush, but my kink is getting pretty damn good if I should say so myself. I'm going to get some Plain Lites and give em a go.

Snatches: 16kg KB (AKC) x 72 reps (8 mins). Was shooting for 10min but I just died. My second dip stopped happening midway through the set and I didn't fix it, otherwise 10mins, 90-100 resp was possible. Once my form clicks in I'm good for 100+

Edited by vikingsrule92

HORSESHOES!!!! :D

3 Lite Rim to 140 degrees!!!!!

2 Lite Rim to 110 degrees!!!!!

1 Lite Rim to just BARELY short of 90!!!!, if I was fresh this would have gone to 100+

I'd stop most of the volume for the heavier shoes and work that crush. Part of it is just perserverance through pain. Don't use a pad, I made that mistake at first and paid the price. If you can get the Lites that far, you should be able to melt a DC through the kink and get to the crush fast enough that the steel is super hot and your not knackered. Get to finishing those damned DC's, then finish off the big shoes. I've only ever failed on 1 shoe after I kinked it, the KH SSP #3 and it was because I was being a puss and letting the bloody blister on my palms and the large red bruiese on top of my thigh stop me. Basically, go fast and it wont hurt.

I expect to see a video of a Lite bend from the AZ COMP!!!! :rock :rock :rock