Derek's Bending Log

vikingsrule92

I already posted the videos from this workout but I might as well post the rest of the details.

Grippers

R Hard #3 to 1/16"

L 138 to a flippin hair!!!

R Hard #3 to 1/16"

L 138 to 1/8"

L 144 at 5/8" to 1/16"; BFNx2

R T7 at 5/8" to 1/16"

L 144 Negs in choker

R #3.5 Negs in choker, actually got a good, solid neg at about 1/8" or so, REALLY happy about that

L 144 Negs in choker

R T7 Negs in choker

L #2 penny hold x 16s

R 132 penny hold x 13s

R #2 penny hold x 13s

L #1 penny hold x 21s

Blobs; forgot to write all the details down, here's some rough stuff

Blob50 lift R

2-33s w/ 2 fingers R

45+7 w/ last 3 fingers R

45+5 w/ M+R x air both

45+2 w/ M+R

A few other random blob things

Rolling Thunder

172x0

170x0

152x11 R Need to lower this, thought I could get 20 but it was a no go

132.5x20 L

2" DB Farmers Holds (rough second #s, couldn't find my stopwatch so these were done by counting in my head)

70lb per hand 62s; 38s

• 1 month later...

I've still been lifting, just been too lazy to post here lately. I started a new program this week, that actually involves lifting, no just grip. Aaron said it sounded like a good plan so hopefully I can get some good results out of it:

Monday: Squats, Front Squats, whatever assistance exercises I happen to feel like adding

Tuesday: Grippers, Thickbar

Wednesday: Deadlift, shrugs, FW, maybe some other stuff

Thursday: Bending

Friday: Power Cleans, C&J, AKC Style KB work, dips, I want to add in Hang Cleans but that'd probably be too much

Saturday: Pinch

I might condense the grip days as necessary. Aaron agreed with me that bench was overrated so I won't add it in until maybe I feel like competing.

Wednesday:

Deadlift:

280 8x3

Shrugs:

77lbs each hand x5 - really ugly, so I dropped weight

53 lbs each hand 5x5 - really easy, will add 10 or so next workout

Today I did Fridays workout, because I was still crazy sore from DLs on Wednesday

FW:

60lb each hand (w/ straps, using 2" DBs and didn't want grip to be a limiting factor) ~250ft 1 turn x 2 sets

Today: Too sore from Wednesday to do power cleans yesterday, so did them today

Power Cleans (full ROM):

135x5

140x5

145x5

These destroyed me!! My ankle was a little tweaked afterward so I couldn't do C&J, tried KBs but I was favoring my ankle too much and couldn't get any power and there was too much potential for injury. However I'm happy to be doing these again, I got the form down pretty much, where as before I could never get the dip right.

Edited by vikingsrule92

SQUAT DAY!!!! God I've missed this exercise!!

ATG Squats

135x5

155x5

175x5 Belt (hindered me more then it helped, restricted my ROM a little)

Front Squats ATG

115x5

135x5

135x2, 3 Lost it after 2 so I rested a minute and finished the set.

I have a bit of a bruise on the right side of my collar bone from power cleans and these made it a bit worse. Also couldn't get it set comfortably, partially do to the bruise. I shouldn't make excuses though, need to do better next week.

KB Front Squat - paused at bottom of each rep

16kg per hand - 2x8

KB Hack Squat - Exploding out of the hole each time

40kg - 2x15

My legs were TOASTED after all of these squats. I'm going to have to LOAD the protein on to be ready for tomorrow and Wednesday especially.

Edited by vikingsrule92

I had REALLY bad DOMS or small strains, after last workout so I decided to not do squats again til next week (they're >95% better, just thought I'd be safe). Soooo grippers and pinch.

Grippers:

Right:

Hard #3 (160+) PR!!!

Elite at MM2 (156 at MM1, so 160+) PR!!!

Elite at 1/8" (I think this is standard?) to about 1/8" PR!!! BFNx2

Left:

145 at 7/8" PR!!!

145 at 1" to 1/8" BFNx3

138 MMS to 1/8"

Was not expecting this good a workout at all, I am no longer scared in the slightest of the MM1, I might just go for a PKS on it :cool Unfortunately it seems like after 3 or so closes right handed I get really bad tendonitis in my elbow, anyone else ever experience this? Not sure what to do about it, any suggestions?

Pinch!!

Blob +2 PR!!! (video tomorrow)

Blob+5 to my knees

45+5 by face PR!!!

45+10

45+12 couples inches air

40+15

40+17 VERY close to lockout RH

Blob+5 x Neg

45+12 x Neg

45+10 x Neg

45 holds x RH:18s, 4s LH: 13s, 8s

45 for reps (alternating hands) x 17 each

Not too bad a blob workout, should get that Blob+5 soon, if I had a better blob like Aaron's I could do it now I think, but mine feels awkward in my hand, much better with my much rounder 45.

Edited by vikingsrule92

DEADLIFT DAY!!!!! My favorite day of the week!!! It was supposed to be yesterday, but I had a study session for finals, and there was a girl involved, you should understand :D:laugh

Gripper (to screw around): Left hand felt really weak for some reason, didn't do much and certainly nothing worth posting.

Elite to 1/32"!!!! SOOOOO damn close!!!!

Elite to 1/8" Meh.

RB330N-couldn't get the set comfy, tough gripper, but it'll die someday!!!

HG300 at parallel

HG300 at 7/8"

HG300 MMS!!!! Nice solid close, I think it may have seasoned just a bit from the choker, but it's still SOOOO damn spongy it's not even funny

Deadlifts: Straps and belt, didn't want to toast my grip and I'm a wuss respectively :laugh

291 - 8x3

HOLY CRAP!!!! These absolutely destroyed me!!! You're not supposed to rest more then 2 mins between sets for this plan but I had to on the last few, shouldn't have bumped the weight as much as I did. I had to get FIRED UP to finish these!!!! I think the neighbors were probably terrified by how loud I was yelling, hahaha.

Edited by vikingsrule92

DEADLIFT DAY!!!!! My favorite day of the week!!! It was supposed to be yesterday, but I had a study session for finals, and there was a girl involved, you should understand :D:laugh

Gripper (to screw around): Left hand felt really weak for some reason, didn't do much and certainly nothing worth posting.

Elite to 1/8" Meh.

HG300 at parallel

HG300 at 7/8"

HG300 MMS!!!! Nice solid close, I think it may have seasoned just a bit from the choker, but it's still SOOOO damn spongy it's not even funny

Deadlifts: Straps and belt, didn't want to toast my grip and I'm a wuss respectively :laugh

291 - 8x3

HOLY CRAP!!!! These absolutely destroyed me!!! You're not supposed to rest more then 2 mins between sets for this plan but I had to on the last few, shouldn't have bumped the weight as much as I did. I had to get FIRED UP to finish these!!!! I think the neighbors were probably terrified by how loud I was yelling, hahaha.

Nice dude. REAL nice :rock. Is this your last session before the MM1 murder?

Yup, doing it day after tomorrow and even Superman needs a little rest :laugh

Also, just screwing around a minute ago, with my hands somewhat fried, I closed my T7 in a choker at 5/8" and got my 3.5 really close in a choker at 9/16". My grippers are progressing rapidly and at this point I'm pretty sure I'll be good for MM2, but we'll see how the MM1 feels first ;)

Elite to 1/8" Meh.

HG300 at parallel

HG300 at 7/8"

291 - 8x3

Also, just screwing around a minute ago, with my hands somewhat fried, I closed my T7 in a choker at 5/8" and got my 3.5 really close in a choker at 9/16". My grippers are progressing rapidly and at this point I'm pretty sure I'll be good for MM2, but we'll see how the MM1 feels first ;)

Nice workout Derek, but man isnt that a little close for comfort to your MM1 cert. last workout for me at max level before something like this is 7+ days out.

- Aaron

Elite to 1/8" Meh.

HG300 at parallel

HG300 at 7/8"

291 - 8x3

Nice workout Derek, but man isnt that a little close for comfort to your MM1 cert. last workout for me at max level before something like this is 7+ days out.

- Aaron

Ehhh, a little. I'll do some contrast baths or something. But if I can get absurdly close to a standard elite I'm not that worried about a little old MM1 ;)

You should close it Derek, though i'd suggest having some respect the MM1 it's a hardish #3 far from a joke gripper and really binds up near the close the MM2 though is a fair bit harder it feels like a standard elite. The set on both the MM1 and MM2 is really easy though.

Good luck for tomorrow!

You should close it Derek, though i'd suggest having some respect the MM1 it's a hardish #3 far from a joke gripper and really binds up near the close the MM2 though is a fair bit harder it feels like a standard elite. The set on both the MM1 and MM2 is really easy though.

Good luck for tomorrow!

I have respect for it, don't worry I won't take it easy on this gripper ;) But I think I can handle it. Thanks a lot Sam!!!

Squats

Back Squats (no belt)

140x5

160x5

180x5 last two were pretty ugly

Front Squats

95x5

115x5

135x4 (belt)

Took the weight down a bit to work on form today. Legs felt toasted afterwards, hoping I didn't hurt them again, need to watch my form much more.

Screwed around with the Gracie Bell afterwards and got several pulls to the knees but couldn't get a lockout. I also lifted my slick, fat 47.5 Blob once with either hand.

Deadlift day!!! God it hurts to type this.

Deadlifts (straps and belt)

315 - 4x2

DB Shrugs

73 each hand - 2x10

Farmers Walks

73 each hand - a couple walks of whatever distance I could manage, I need some real farmers handles, these damn dumbbells hit me in the leg too much and I have to hold them in a partial Iron cross just to walk, a real hindrance.

Nice front squats...I never did within a hundred pounds of my back squat sets because it felt so awkward.

Power Clean Day!!!

Power Cleans:

135x3

140x3

145x3

150x3

160x3

Hang Cleans:

115x3

125x3

140x3

Dips

BWx10, 8, 6

KBs

Snatch 28kg x 10 each hand (switch arms every 5)

Jerk 40kg x 1R

Jerk 36kg x 5R 2L

Jerk 28kg x 5 each

I also screwed around with grippers between sets of Cleans. I closed my 3.5 in a choker at 5/8", I got it to about paper width at parallel and I got my RB330N to 1/4" MMS. I also closed my 145 at 1" Lefty. Not too shabby, I'm 99% positive I will destroy the MM1 next time, it was just a bad time to have an off day with grippers the first time around.

Also, I want to throw in C&J on this day but I'm having a lot of trouble getting Power Jerk form down and I can't find room to do split Jerks, I'll have to find space in my house for next Friday.

Edited by vikingsrule92

RAW ATG Squats

145x5

165x5

185x3

My head wasn't in the game at this point, I definitely have the strength for 185x5

I tried Front Squats, no go, big bruises on my shoulders and collar bone from Cleans. Tried KB front squats, no go, I was leaning too far forward and couldn't get anything to work.

I took a quick break, screamed a bit, hit myself a few times, and my head was back in it.

Speed ATG Squats:

135x5

135x5

135x5

135x5

135x5

135x5

135x5

135x5

Slowed a bit in the last 2 sets, but still very quick and solid. These were inspired by Zach's last workout with Squats, thanks bro :D

Did a bit of grip in between, closed my 3.5 in a choker at 7/8", and got it down to <1/8" at 1". Also closed my 145 at 1" Lefty, both BIG PRs, I wish I had access to an easy 3.5 or something like that because I'm pretty sure I could MMS one.

Some Blob stuff, double lift with my 45 and Blob50. Double lift with my 47.5 (fatman) and Blob50 twice. This 47.5 is easily harder then Aaron's Blob, so I'm 100% positive next time I can stop by his house I will have the Double Blob, video of this lift will be up soon.

• Like 1

Very nice all around lifting Derek! Have you ever tried the power jerk? I'm not an O-lifter, far-far-far from it. But when I do C&J I always use a power jerk since I lift on a narrow sidewalk. It might be just what you need if you can't do the split jerk.

Very nice all around lifting Derek! Have you ever tried the power jerk? I'm not an O-lifter, far-far-far from it. But when I do C&J I always use a power jerk since I lift on a narrow sidewalk. It might be just what you need if you can't do the split jerk.

No what I said was I can't get the Power Jerk form down, it feels awkward with a BB and I can barely jerk more with a BB then I can one armed with a KB, I need room for Split Jerk to try it out for size. Thanks a lot Ben, much appreciated.

I forgot to say, I'm putting on mass fast since I started lifting seriously again and loading Creatine, I'm up near 165 now, I better get 2-45s soon or I won't be lightest ever to do it :D

RAW ATG Squats

145x5

165x5

185x3

My head wasn't in the game at this point, I definitely have the strength for 185x5

I tried Front Squats, no go, big bruises on my shoulders and collar bone from Cleans. Tried KB front squats, no go, I was leaning too far forward and couldn't get anything to work.

I took a quick break, screamed a bit, hit myself a few times, and my head was back in it.

Speed ATG Squats:

135x5

135x5

135x5

135x5

135x5

135x5

135x5

135x5

Slowed a bit in the last 2 sets, but still very quick and solid. These were inspired by Zach's last workout with Squats, thanks bro :D

Did a bit of grip in between, closed my 3.5 in a choker at 7/8", and got it down to <1/8" at 1". Also closed my 145 at 1" Lefty, both BIG PRs, I wish I had access to an easy 3.5 or something like that because I'm pretty sure I could MMS one.

Some Blob stuff, double lift with my 45 and Blob50. Double lift with my 47.5 (fatman) and Blob50 twice. This 47.5 is easily harder then Aaron's Blob, so I'm 100% positive next time I can stop by his house I will have the Double Blob, video of this lift will be up soon.

No problem, but I did 10 sets :tongue

No what I said was I can't get the Power Jerk form down, it feels awkward with a BB and I can barely jerk more with a BB then I can one armed with a KB, I need room for Split Jerk to try it out for size. Thanks a lot Ben, much appreciated.

I forgot to say, I'm putting on mass fast since I started lifting seriously again and loading Creatine, I'm up near 165 now, I better get 2-45s soon or I won't be lightest ever to do it :D

171.7 is your goal weight, unless Tommy Heslep was lighter. :) It's going to be broken someday, no one except 2 people care even a little bit and gaining muscular weight will help you more long-term than perhaps a footnote in a Dale Harder book.

At one time I wanted to weigh less than the Inch when I got a full pull, but realized that it is better to gain a bunch of weight if it helps make me strong enough to lift it-kind of foolish if I try to stay under the 172 weight to prove a point and never lift it.

RAW ATG Squats

145x5

165x5

185x3

Speed ATG Squats:

135x5

135x5

135x5

135x5

135x5

135x5

135x5

135x5

No problem, but I did 10 sets :tongue

I know that Zach, I said inspired not copied :tongue

Bob, well said and good point. I'm not going to try to hinder my weight gain just to be the lightest ever to do something. If it happens then so be it, but I never intended to hinder gaining because as you said, it will help me much more long term.

Went over to Aaron's and did some training today. Did a few decent things with Blobs:

Double Blob Lift

Blob with Ring and Middle fingers with both hands

A bunch of farmers walks with one blob (furthest was about 15 ft.)

Did a few nice (2 sec or so) negs on Aaron's Inch. Also got a bit of air under it with either hand (not a jerk pull)

Barely budged 172 2HP off the ground

Could not physically have gotten my Elite at 1/8" any closer without it closing, grrrrrr

Messed around with Aaron's harder grippers, I set his 170 and I can't remember how far I got it

And I also cut a York Dumbbell up finally, that got a good forearm pump going with a hacksaw :D I also wore them in a bit for the recipients, taking the 30lb halves for a nice walk around Aaron's yard a few times :laugh

Videos of the first two are forthcoming, unfortunately I didn't get the Blob farmers on video :(

EDIT: They're up in the GB forum now.

Edited by vikingsrule92

I know that Zach, I said inspired not copied :tongue

Oh... so either you wussed out on the 8th set or the world ended(and we're all still here :tongue ). Shit man. You might as well have gone the full distance instead of cutting it 1/5 short.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

This creatine appears to be retaining anything and everything I eat nowadays. Before I could eat for hours straight and gain a pound or two a week and now I am 168lbs in the morning, 10 lbs heavier then about 2 weeks ago, friggin awesome :D