Derek's Bending Log

vikingsrule92

Alawadhi told me I should start a log here so I figured it'd be a good idea.

Today was a decent workout, some PRs but some things I'm not very satisfied with.

I got a Shiny to slightly under 2 3/4". PR It seemed like it was going to go and then it froze

Kinked the 450 Bastard in IM pads a little further than before, up to ~10 degrees

.332 W1 x 7" PR

Going to try the Shiny again next workout and I'll also have to try the .339 W1 because the .332 went down pretty easily with me being completely fried by this point. I'm also going to have to quit the small pads stuff for a little bit, my middle finger tendon on my right hand is inflamed from the heavy work last workout and I can no longer use the pistol grip without serious pain.

I tried to do some KB work afterward but I was completely toast and I couldn't do anything.

So instead I did scrolling :D

Scrolled a leftover piece of 1/4" Square HRS, about 3' into a tight ball. Really easy just for fun.

Then I did a 5' piece of 3/8" HRS into a weird design I just made up. I had no idea what I was doing just making it up as I went along. I changed my mind about 5 times and kept changing the bends but it ended up kind of cool. I'll post pics later.

Man nice work on that Shiny Derek wow you got next time !!! :D

Derek, great start to your log. :rock Will you be posting any of your other workouts (pinch, crush, regular weight training)?

Derek, great start to your log. :rock Will you be posting any of your other workouts (pinch, crush, regular weight training)?

Yes I will, I just titled it Bending because that's all of the grip I'm doing at the moment, along with supplementary stuff like KBs and hopefully I'll stop being lazy and do some damn cardio :D

Thanks Jason, hopefully I will

Edited by vikingsrule92

You're so young and so far ahead of most guys training grip already. Congrats on all that you've accomplished so far and I'll be looking forward to watching your progress. I hope you can avoid injuries/burnout - you definitely have the potential to be one of the best. If you waited this long to start a log then maybe I ought to also (odin's been prodding me a bit to do it as well).

Good luck Derek! :bow

Great idea keeping a log. Loking forward to it!

I normally wouldn't point this out but since you have a degree in english and your S/N is "The WRITER"... You see the irony :laugh

Looking forward to the log Derek :)

I normally wouldn't point this out but since you have a degree in english and your S/N is "The WRITER"... You see the irony :laugh

Looking forward to the log Derek :)

Yep. :cool

Why do you think they invented spell check? So us morons look smarter...when we actually use it. :D

Great to see you started this log. I will suretantly follow it...

Thanks a lot guys!! Matt I certainly hope so!!

Gumpster, I had a log from July to September but then I got to lazy and stopped. But thanks for all of the kind words

Very well done Derek on your Log :rock and even better on your bends :mosher You will soon kill the shiny bastard that's mocking you over there :D Anyway the hardest thing in this log is......to keep the log :D Try not to avoid anyday if possible. This way you will know what worked and what didnt. As far as I know, I didnt miss reporting a day. I know now what works best for me. Keep bending :rock

Great to see your workout log Derek! I also wanted to let you know some things about the W-1 Drill Rod. I haven't had a chance to tell the Drill Rod King (Aaron, lol) yet, but I've had a chance the past week to test a whole bunch of different diameters of W-1 and O-1 Drill Rod, thanks to a buddy who bought a freaking ton of them both. O-1 is what I'm familiar with and it is MUCH harder than the W-1. So if you want to have inbetween Drill Rod stock, you've got a perfect setup then. I mainly focused on the crushdown (3"-2") range because that's what I've been training mostly lately. Here's what I wrote down from my experiments:

-.3281"X7" Drill Rod (O-1) is a pretty hard bend, probably right around the 7" Edgin. Joe bent one and he felt that it was extremely close to the Edgin, especially on the crushdown where it just froze up on him and I thought for a bit that he wouldn't finish it. But he kept at it and got it within 5 minutes.

-.332"X7" Drill Rod (O-1) is as hard as a 7" Edgin on the crushdown. I also tested Joe on this, by handing him a piece of it at 2.5" and seeing what he could do with it. He got it to 2" with a struggle. He didn't even look at what it was. I just stuck it in the awesome pads that Jason Payne (they are freaking insane) made for me and let him have at it. He rested 5 minutes and I put a 7" Edgin (head cut off) in there and he got it a little quicker than the .332"X7" Drill Rod (O-1).

-9mmX7" Drill Rod (O-1) felt as hard as a 7" KOAB from 3" to 2" on the crushdown. I have no idea if I have the "easy" or hard KOABS. I assume I have the easy ones that rated around 665 though.

Now to the W-1 Drill Rod encounters. I bent a .343"X7" Drill Rod (W-1) from straight and didn't think it was even as hard as a 7" Edgin. Still a good bend though, of course. Next was the .358"X7" Drill Rod (W-1) and I got it in about 3 minutes but it was about all my shoulders could handle on the kink and sweep. I've been trying to rehab them with my Bowflex and some other interesting tidbits the past few months. Next I cheatkinked a .368"X7" Drill Rod (W-1) to 3" and smashed it in one hard hit to 1 and 7/8". Crush pads on all of these by the way, which is my usual method of crushing things down. The .368"X7" Drill Rod (W-1) was not "easy," but I was surprised at how much easier it felt than the 9mm (.354")X7" Drill Rod (O-1) that I crushed down earlier. I was well rested too, these weren't necessarily separated by a few minutes.

It would be really cool to see some side by side calibrations of W-1 and O-1 Drill Rod. I don't think even Eric would be up for this kind of mayhem though, lol. That'd be a lot of pieces of DR to calibrate.

Thanks guys and thanks Ben. I was curious about what was equal to an Edgin in W1 but since you didn't give me too much info on this I guess I'll just have to try and see :D The .332 W1 felt a lot easier than the shiny because as I said I was completely tired by this point and it wasn't too much of a struggle, except for the crushdown which was only due to the massive bloodblisters on two of my fingers. I'll give the .339 a shot after a Shiny attempt next workout and then hopefully I'll make an Edgin attempt soon. I suppose 11/32" (the next size I have after .339) would be slightly bigger then .343 so once I bend that I think I'll be ready for an Edgin.

Alright guys I got another bending workout to report.

Shiny Bastard - DESTROYED!!! PR

About 2 mins and it was DEAD!! Unfortunately this was 1 of 2 bends actually completed today :D

Edgin - Kinked ~2-3 degrees PR but the threads bent about 10 degrees, I'm sure if I finished this they definitely would have snapped.

.339 W1 DR bent to ~90 degrees and it froze PR

5/16" x 6" 304 (420 lbs at 7") bent to 3" PR

New Hexabastard (535 batch) bent to 10 degrees. PR I think I can get this when fresh

5/16" x 7" (395 at 7") wobbled with 4" x 12" (1mm thick) pads PR

1/4" x 5.5" G5 (Triangle) w/ 4" x 12" (1mm thick) pads PR

Will post the Shiny video and pics later on

Oh and I also did a crapload of Isos with various steel

Edited by vikingsrule92

Shiny Bastard - DESTROYED!!! PR

Looking forward to seeing the video :rock Very nice PR!

Edited by The Writer

Haha most of those were because it was my first time trying the stock but thanks guys. Yeah Luuc I've been doing A LOT of volume lately. My hand tendons are DEFINITELY sore right now

Super progression Sir Derek! I think you've earned that title now. :rock

I think it's time to challenge one of the "tough-guy" football players at your school!

Hey guys, I just posted this in the bending section but I figured I'd post it here as well.

Shiny:

Also, I figured I'd post a pic here for the hell of it, my first car!!! :Dhttp://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7086

Thanks Bob, I'm debating which I like better, Sir Derek or Super Derek (from Jeremiah) :D

Haha there's one in my German class that would be quite enjoyable to beat :D

Edited by vikingsrule92

I like the PR board...but I think you're going to need a bigger one soon :D

Also, I just saw the car pic...congrats. Luckily I should be safe a few thousand miles away :whistel