Derek's Bending Log

vikingsrule92

BENDING DAY!!!!

Squats (ATG, Raw):

145x20 These destroyed me!!! Note to self, stop forgetting to take stomach meds before 20 rep squats, bad idea.

Grippers: All with Vulcan

RH:

13 to 1/4"

13 to 1/8"

CCS 8

CCS 9

CCS 10

13 to 1/4"

12x OC

RH very off today, still fighting the finger injury

LH:

8x1

9x1

10x1

11x1

12x0

BENDING!!!

Mag Bastard HUGE PR!!! 40 secs about

Edgin to 4 5/8" Damn, only thing keeping this from an utterly perfect day

Grand Hex (485 Stock) PR!!!

6.5" Red in IM Pads PR 40s or so

7.5" Hex (My 525 Stock) In IM Pads PR!! Really tough

Looking at my IM bends this Red cert on Saturday should be like nothing. Hopefully I'll get it <20s

Vids will be up soon, providing Youtube allows it, of the Mag, Grand Hex, and 6.5" Red.

Edited by vikingsrule92

Sorry Josh, all I have left is two Mags, and I need those in about a week :devil

Edited by vikingsrule92

Quite vulgar there Derek... :blink... Nice IMP bending here :).

Hehehe sometimes vulgarity is very necessary :D Well I have to train it for my cert, after that I'll probably toss it aside and only do it once in a while.

Yesterday:

ATG Raw Squats:

155x20

I Planned on doing braced bends however these squats gave me a migraine the size of a damn house which I still carry with me today, let's see I'm going on 26 hours with this. I got the same thing with my last time doing 20 rep squats but that time it went away with a lot of excedrin and a bit of rest and I was able to do bending, this time was not the same. I'm getting an MRI soon to make sure it's not too serious and hopefully this will go away in time for my Red cert.

Still suffering extremely from cluster headaches, hopefully they will go away by comp time. However I did a workout with Aaron today.

Did my Red Nail cert, 13.49 seconds. Nothing too crazy but I'm happy with it, I was having an off bending day.

2HP: Some attempts at ~180, got it a few inches from lockout.

2" Vbar: Haven't done this in about a year, but apparently I've made some improvements (both hands unless otherwise stated)

200x1

235x1

257x1 PR

277x1 PR

287x1 RH PR!!!

292 x NEAR MISS!!! Just BARELY slipped on the way down, damn.

Blobs:

Blob+6.5 PR!!

Blob+10 to knees

Blob+10 to knees

Blob+7.75 PR!!!

Blob+9 to BARELY short of lockout

Bending: Terrible, just terrible

Huge Shiny to 2 7/8" Then Aaron, like the bastage he truely is, crushed it down to 1" in TWO HITS!!!! Bastage

Edgin to 4.75" My head exploded in pain after this, so I was done, however I still kept attempting random small things

Picked 152/hand on the RT style FW handles

Attempted random pinch/hub feats

Videos will be up later of the 2" Vbar, Blob, and Red cert.

you seemed to have made a few typo's in your log ........... you said 257, 277, and 287 on 2" V-bar - great lifts Derek!

• 2 weeks later...

SQUAT DAY!!! Not sure if I'm going to keep this here day wise, but I felt like doing something today and all my grip stuff is still at Aaron's.

ATG Raw:

145x3

165x3

175x3

175x3

175x3

Felt really solid, 185 next time.

Tried to do OH squatting as recommended to me by Aaron but I couldn't do them without my knees going psychotically forward so I decided to do:

ATG Raw Front Squats

115x3

135x3

145x3

Felt pretty easy, 145 was only a little struggle. My technique for these is locking in a bit.

I also screwed around with one finger lifts and got up to 160 RH middle finger. Never done anything slightly close to that before so I'm pretty happy.

• 7 months later...

I just thought I'd let you guys know I'm still alive. Frank asked me if I was still training on facebook a while back and the unfortunate answer is, at the moment, no. I have a herniated L1 (I think?) and L2, L3, L4 are all very compressed from what I can tell (my orthopedist is an idiot so he kinda just left out the whole explaining the MRI and just handed to me and said "nothing we can do, PT if you want to," asshole). But anyway as much as I am dying to deadlift and squat I really don't want to screw my back up much more. So I'm just chilling, and playing bridge with the old guys while we discuss our joint injuries and sleeping problems. Anyway see ya back on here in another 6 months :D

How the heck did you do that?

That is a damn good question! I wish I had a clear answer. I strained it badly some 18 months ago helping my relatives move and somewhere in there it got a lot worse and sometime in the last 3 weeks it got WAY worse.

How the heck did you do that?

That is a damn good question! I wish I had a clear answer. I strained it badly some 18 months ago helping my relatives move and somewhere in there it got a lot worse and sometime in the last 3 weeks it got WAY worse.

Sorry to hear that man. There's always grip though :)

Guest Bullitt

Derek,

I had an orthopedist tell me the same thing for 2 years. I was in tremendous pain and had numbness going down my legs. Had a severe herniation of L4/L5 and a minor herniation of L3/L4. I finally got in to see a spine/brain neurologist and he had me on a table within a couple days. The surgery sucked, and the rehab was no fun, but it has really been a Godsend. My back feels better today than it did for 15 years leading up to the surgery. Orthopedic doctors are really not qualified to deal with herniations and compressions. Get a referal to a neurologist that specializes in spinal problems.

He will at least be able to tell you what your options are. PT can help if it is not very severe, however, there are other options. Good luck!!!

Hey Derek, I'm really sorry to read that about your back buddy! I miss seeing your posts and PR news man. Hope you get back to the grip stuff soon. And I hope you get that back fixed up tight.

• 1 month later...

Physical therapy is starting to heal me up but its going to be a slow and arduous (sp?) process. However that isn't stopping my therapist from torturing my cardio system with a variety of burpees, TGUs, Bosu ball squats (new favorite exercise) and various things with pushups. Feels great to get at it again at least a little bit, but I still miss the feel of the steel!!

I was wondering where you've been

• 1 year later...

Did a few front squat varieties with Kettlebells and the Axle

Bench Press

155 x 3 x 5

Super hard but I'm psyched that I got this weight. It took a lot of heart to persevere through this torture, lol.

Grippers

Solid close on my 157 #3 and my 157 (feels more like 160) 4X by FBBC. Feeling ready for the MM1.

BRACED BENDING!!

3/4" x 44" - Super psyched about this bend. It was hard and the move where you crush it against your chest took a lot of skin off of my chest but it was well worth it.

5/8" x 23" - YES!! This bend took 15 straight minutes of hard fought effort but I never gave up and I got it.

9.5" Tree Island - Another failure, going to take a break from this particular type of stock.

Videos for the first two braced bends will be up tomorrow sometime.

The rest of my log from the past few months is on Horne's site but I will start keeping it both places from now on.

No No No Squats

180 x 3 x 5

Last rep on the last two sets were poorish form. But still psyched about this weight.

Axle Shoulder Press

97 x 3 x 5

Tough but got it done.

Axle Pendlay Rows

122 x 3 x 5

Kinda tough, but I'm still ready to go up 10 pounds next time.

DO Bending

Big Shiny - 40 seconds, dead

Huge Shiny - MAJOR PR, so psyched that I got this.

Grand Golden Bastard - Nice solid bend, ready for the Mag.

Big Golden Hexabastard - Easy, ready for the Huge.

Big Brutal Hex - Tough but I was exhausted from the other bends.

Whoa, Graybill lives.

Good to see you too Frank. :D :D

No No No ATG Squats

185 x 3 x 5

Sickeningly hard. Form was somewhat poor but I came out with all 15 reps. Contemplating re-doing this weight because of the poor form.

Bench Press

160 x 3 x 5

The last rep on the last set got stuck 3" from lockout and I let out 3 long loud screams and got it up. Proud of myself for fighting through that psychotically hard rep.