Derek's Bending Log

vikingsrule92

This creatine appears to be retaining anything and everything I eat nowadays. Before I could eat for hours straight and gain a pound or two a week and now I am 168lbs in the morning, 10 lbs heavier then about 2 weeks ago, friggin awesome :D

I took that for a short stint. If you stop taking it, your weight will drop like a rock. When I stopped I went from 179 on a fat day after dinner to 170 under the same circumstances.

yeah you gotta be carefull with the creatine Derek, I gained about 15 lbs from 160 at the time to 175 had lots of strength gains but then went back down after getting off it, just take it in moderation

Don't worry Steve, after loading for the first 7 days (as is recommended) I'm only taking it once a day from now on.

Sheesh, all you guys trying to gain weight sounds like a bad joe to me :laugh

That would be almost entirely water weight Derek. the creatine binds more of it up in the muscles. Besides its impossible to make muscles grow that fast anyway.

- Aaron

That would be almost entirely water weight Derek. the creatine binds more of it up in the muscles. Besides its impossible to make muscles grow that fast anyway.

- Aaron

So will that actually help me gain strength or it pretty much just useless mass?

Squat Day (everything RAW)

ATG Squats

145x5

165x5

185x5

Felt really solid, very happy with these

ATG Front Squats

115x5

135x5

145x5

Very solid as well, unlike last workout I was able to lock the bar in on the down movement so I could do these with good form

Hip Belt Squats

First time trying these, had to do them on a short loading pin to get any ROM, can't load much more then 5 plates, any better ideas?

135x15

170x20

223x20

I REALLY like this exercise, after a few reps this absolutely fries my Glutes, Quads and hammys, this will be a staple in my routine from here forward

40kg KB Swings

20R 15L

Wanted 20 both, but I was so toasted that by the 15th rep lefty I was getting about half a swing and I quit. I really like this exercise as well and it will be in nearly every squat day from now on.

- Aaron

So will that actually help me gain strength or it pretty much just useless mass?

Squat Day (everything RAW)

ATG Squats

145x5

165x5

185x5

Felt really solid, very happy with these

ATG Front Squats

115x5

135x5

145x5

Very solid as well, unlike last workout I was able to lock the bar in on the down movement so I could do these with good form

Hip Belt Squats

First time trying these, had to do them on a short loading pin to get any ROM, can't load much more then 5 plates, any better ideas?

135x15

170x20

223x20

I REALLY like this exercise, after a few reps this absolutely fries my Glutes, Quads and hammys, this will be a staple in my routine from here forward

40kg KB Swings

20R 15L

Wanted 20 both, but I was so toasted that by the 15th rep lefty I was getting about half a swing and I quit. I really like this exercise as well and it will be in nearly every squat day from now on.

Not necessarily, but the extra water in your muscles does help you keep going. When I stopped and lost that weight, I noticed that the # of reps I was able to do dropped quite noticeably. My maxes remained the same, just the reps went down.

On the squats, just stand on blocks. Build yourself some boxes or find the odd area that might suit your needs.

Thanks Zach I never thought of boxes. Would plywood be good enough or is something stronger necessary? What height/ROM should I be shooting for?

- Aaron

Yes, you will get some additional strength while taking it. I usually got up to +10% when I had used it in the past. It helps beef up the ATP tranport cycle. which allows your recovery to happen quicker (even during a set) so you immediately can get more reps. Once you stop that goes away but sometimes a little additional strength sticks around due to the increased training stress you were able to get while using it. You should probably read up on it if your taking it and understand how it works, as you should on anything non food you put in your body.

- Aaron

Thanks Zach I never thought of boxes. Would plywood be good enough or is something stronger necessary? What height/ROM should I be shooting for?

Try to make it the same depth as your maximum squat depth, but just below parallel is all that is really needed. After all, it is a squat :D If you can actually go into a full squat, that may require some good size boxes. Plywood and 2x4's would be just fine for this stuff. Unless your lifting over 1000lbs regularly...

Keep forgetting to post my gripper stuff in the last squat workout. FINALLY closed my Elite at 1/8", Got my 3.5 to 1/4", and my T7 to 1/8" or so (All MMS naturally). Need to find my damn allen wrench to adjust my Elite down more. Got my 138 lefty MMSx2, this shows me that my left hand set is EVERYTHING. I have never closed this MMS lefty before and I got a good set and 2 reps wasn't bad.

The increased hydration seems to be helping my elbow, although I need to do more extensors and active rest because I've been seriously slacking on that. Also having my whole body warm with squats makes my grippers much stronger, I think I will do these on the same day from now on.

DEADLIFT DAY!!! Ahhh what an awesome day of the week.

Deadlifts (Belt and Straps, Straps just to save grip)

315x2

315x2

315x2

315x2

315x2

I did this same weight last workout but it wasn't clean, today was CLEAN, moving up next week.

Renegade Rows

16kg KB each hand x6; x6

One arm bent rows

28kg KB x10; x8

DB Shrugs 83lb each hand

x10

x10

Ran 1 mile, forgot to start the timer :laugh but it felt kind of slow, not bad for my first day in a while, jogged all the way and had a nice finishing kick, will go faster next time.

Edited by vikingsrule92

I've never had a sudden decrease in weight when I stop taking creatine...and I take 12g a day :tongue

I've also never really paid any attention to any strength gains I get from it. If anything, maybe 2 reps or so, and a small percentage on a max.

The main reason I take it is for recovery. Anything else is a bonus. I take it after I lift, and before I go to bed.

Edited by Magnus

Yesterdays Clean workout:

My back was really bothering me during this, I tried putting nicoflex on it but it clearly hurt my lifting a lot, that's why this was ended early, didn't want to risk further injury.

Power Cleans

135x3

145x3

155x3

160x3

170x1 Dammit

Hang Cleans

135x3

Power Jerk

135x2

Then I did my first scroll ever!! It turned out really well, 1/8" x 1/2" x 5', I forgot to take a picture with my camera before I gave it to my girlfriend for a bday present so either she'll have to send me one to put up here or I'll have to transfer one from my phone. This really beat my hands to hell, a few new bruises, callouses, and blood blisters, DAMN good workout.

Also PKSd my hard #3 3 times and PKSd my Elite at 1/8". I need to work my camera skills before my next attempt on the MM1 because my one #3 attempt on camera my heel pad blocked the set, however otherwise I'm very confident.

Edited by vikingsrule92

Grip day! Grippers, thickbar, bending

Forgot to record everything so I'll just post the highlights

Grippers: Right

3.5 to 1/4"

T7 to 1/8" (kept slipping in my palm)

Hard #3 PKS (wayyy outside parallel)

165 Narrow GE MMS!!!!!

Rolling Thunder: Right

177x1

182x0

180x0

182xair (w/ Aaron's RT, just a bit easier then mine)

A bunch of Negs with the Gracie

Bending: 1st day back, not that serious a session buuuutttttt .....

7" Brutal Hex!!!! Verrrryyyyy easy, about a minute, would have been quicker but I couldn't find my damn crush pads, also struglled to lock it under the chin at first

Tried an Edgin but only got a small kink, still re-acclimating myself to the position, also my biceps were blasted after the Hex.

Some Pinch stuff

Grippers:

Terrible today, still had some DOMS from thickbar Wednesday and it affected me.

Blobs:

Terrible, some missed attempts at stuff I should be doing easily. Same excuse as grippers. My 47.5 was extra slippery today.

2HP (American at 58.5mm, in this assuming apparatus is 55 lbs, I need to weigh it)

105x5

125x5

145x5

155x1

165x0, x1

170x0 1 miss by <1", 3 times just getting a bit of air

2HP was really good considering I was having an off day, I think by ACGS 180 is possible, this technique that Aaron taught me over a year ago is finally clicking for me, hahaha.

Blobs: 45x14 each hand alternating. Tore my Right thumb a bit.

Braced Bending

3/8" x 10" G2

12" Tree Island Spike

5/8" x 30"

All 3 of these were really easy, this next one was HARD:

5/8" x 36" Square, as I said in my thread in bending it took me 45 mins and tore me UP, friggin brutal bend and far and away the bend I've had to work the hardest for, best trophy I've ever had.

PAIN IS JUST WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY!!!

Just ran 2 miles, with a few minute breather in between (will do it nonstop soon). The entire first mile my back was hurting and my calves were on fire, second mile nothing. Just barely crossed the finish but I did it non-stop jogging. Nearly threw up at the end :D and I know, if I didn't really throw up I didn't try hard enough :laugh

Edited by vikingsrule92

Hey! More running! How's the weather? I did 2.5 miles in 12 degrees with a killer windchill the other day :whistel

Hey! More running! How's the weather? I did 2.5 miles in 12 degrees with a killer windchill the other day :whistel

Yeah man I'm really enjoying the running. And I want to prepare and do really well in a short race soon, probably the Cancer 5k if I can't find anything else. Plus my calves and lower quads were the only muscles not sore from yesterday and I really felt like doing something today :D

Friggin AMAZING!!! It was like low 70s or upper 60s. GREAT running weather :D:laugh

Edited by vikingsrule92

Nice! I'll probably do a bunch of races year just for fn...there's one nearby amost every weekend in the summer.

Nice! I'll probably do a bunch of races year just for fn...there's one nearby amost every weekend in the summer.

I'm hoping to do a few as well, once I get some better times and conditioning at least. Is there an easy way to find races near you? I can only find a bunch of different sites with a lot of different info.

coolrunning.com is one of the better sites for finding races. There is a link from the main page to look for races, and you can search by state. It's probably easier for me...I live in a small town in a small county. Everything is in the local paper :D