Derek's Bending Log

vikingsrule92

Another KB workout today, semi-soft style. No 5 minute sessions or anything, but the shortest set of reps was 15. Only bell used was my 20kg, I really need to get a 16kg for 5 minute sessions and stuff, should have it by the end of next week I'd say.

PP 20kg x 20R 15L

Clean 20kg x 40 each These DESTROYED my biceps, they were so pumped afterwards you could've mistaken me for juicing (well sort of :D), I thought I pulled my right after I did the first set it was so bad.

Snatch 20kg x 20 each; x 15 each

Clean and PP 20kg x 15 each

After that I did some overhead Kettlebell walks (pretty selfexplanatory), the lengths varied a lot, going down as I went more. I did probably 5-7 sets each arm. Shortest was about 20 ft, longest around 50, maybe a little less. This is a FANTASTIC exercise. Once I get my 16kg I plan on working towards a 1/4 mile and more.

Then I started a little light work on Hand to hand drills. Did a lot of 2 hand flips (haven't mastered one hand yet) and various transfers with chest and KB taps involved. I HIGHLY recommend Jeff Martone's H2H KB drill DVD to anyone interested in KBs, it's AMAZING!!! I plan on slowly working towards some of his "intermediate" drills, which are actually psycho hard.

Another KB workout today, semi-soft style. No 5 minute sessions or anything, but the shortest set of reps was 15. Only bell used was my 20kg, I really need to get a 16kg for 5 minute sessions and stuff, should have it by the end of next week I'd say.

PP 20kg x 20R 15L

Clean 20kg x 40 each These DESTROYED my biceps, they were so pumped afterwards you could've mistaken me for juicing (well sort of :D), I thought I pulled my right after I did the first set it was so bad.

Snatch 20kg x 20 each; x 15 each

Clean and PP 20kg x 15 each

After that I did some overhead Kettlebell walks (pretty selfexplanatory), the lengths varied a lot, going down as I went more. I did probably 5-7 sets each arm. Shortest was about 20 ft, longest around 50, maybe a little less. This is a FANTASTIC exercise. Once I get my 16kg I plan on working towards a 1/4 mile and more.

Then I started a little light work on Hand to hand drills. Did a lot of 2 hand flips (haven't mastered one hand yet) and various transfers with chest and KB taps involved. I HIGHLY recommend Jeff Martone's H2H KB drill DVD to anyone interested in KBs, it's AMAZING!!! I plan on slowly working towards some of his "intermediate" drills, which are actually psycho hard.

Humor me for a moment, how are your biceps sore from cleans? I've done some long sessions with my 24kg doing C&P's but never had sore biceps. Triceps and shoulders were fatigued but not the biceps. Just curious :)

Not sure Zach, wish I could tell you. Paul and Greg said I had more of an AKC side style to cleans, maybe because that technique is different for me then you?

Not sure Zach, wish I could tell you. Paul and Greg said I had more of an AKC side style to cleans, maybe because that technique is different for me then you?

That could be. You also have to think about the # of reps you end up doing. I guess if your bicep tendons aren't used to the work load of simly hanging onto a KB for 40 cleans, it could get sore that way. It could also be that you end up pulling with your arms more than your back and legs. It doesn't even need to be a noticeable pull, just enough that your bicep becomes involved because again, the # of reps will help fatigue them. I don' t know about all the styles and moves, I just take it from the ground to racked the same way I would for a DB :)

That could be. You also have to think about the # of reps you end up doing. I guess if your bicep tendons aren't used to the work load of simly hanging onto a KB for 40 cleans, it could get sore that way. It could also be that you end up pulling with your arms more than your back and legs. It doesn't even need to be a noticeable pull, just enough that your bicep becomes involved because again, the # of reps will help fatigue them. I don' t know about all the styles and moves, I just take it from the ground to racked the same way I would for a DB :)

It could be that, by the last few reps my form was collapsing a bit. Well for me the straight way I would clean a barbell doesn't feel comfortable for me, this side style is the way that clicked from the first time I put up a KB to now.

• 2 weeks later...

FInally back to working out after that bad double bicep strain from those KB cleans last workout (decided to keep it quiet)

Screwed around with grippers, nothing that noteworthy, a couple near misses on my 124 CCS style. My left hand is still struggling to get back in to the groove as my setting is struggling.

Then I decided to try some horseshoes. After all the struggle with this in the past today the tips Paul and Eric gave me just clicked. I hearted a #2 UL St. Croix in about 30 secs, then a #1 UL in about a minute or so. Then I hearted a 1 POLO in about 4 mins. I got it to 180 in about 90 secs but getting enough to heart it was a real struggle. Then I microkinked a DC0, not a big kink at all but it's definite progress.

After all of this I was so pumped up I shut my 145 #3 in a choker at 5/8". Not too shabby.

Also, with testing I think my 2 new #3s are probably 150, and 160 (this being the wider one obviously), or at least in those ranges.

Hey people I'm back!!! I need to update on some workouts.

Wednesday i went to P&P gym and tried out there AKC bells and got some form tweaking from some newly certified IKFF (I think?) members who work there. Those bells are so nice I decided to buy 3 for myself. They should come soon i can't wait to try them out. Nothing that noteworthy workout wise. Some TGUs with the 24kg. Some double 24kg pressing. Screwing around with the 16kg, and swinging this 100 lb beast.

Yesterday i worked out with Aaron, good fun. I closed the 145 #3 from 7/8" in a choker pretty easily. I missed it MMS by less then 1/8", but I was kind of toast by that time. I 2HP 158 which was damn good and damn hard. But I couldn't get 160.5 off the ground. I played with pinching Aaron's cinder blocks. I bent a 2 Polo shoe to 200 degrees but couldn't heart it. And I got a DC1 to about 100 degrees but couldn't finish it. Not too shabby a workout.

But Aaron!!! Man his workout, as always, was nothing short of spectacular. Good with grippers, 2HP 203 easily, warmed up bending by taking down a 6" edgin to 1 1/4" from 90. Then he took down a 11/32" SS piece from 4" to 1 15/16". Then took down a piece of 5/16" stainless hex 303 that cal'd at 645 in about 3 mins. THEN he hearted a DC0 pretty easily. And took down a 1/2" x 14" and 5/8" x 28" which looked crazy easy. Maybe some stuff I'm forgetting but close enough

Today was a workout that ended early and I just want to forget. My stomach was HORRIBLE, I had a headache that wouldn't quit, and nothing, cardio wise, or muscular wise, felt good on me today. The ONLY positive thing from today is that I jerked AND snatched my 40kg KB with my right hand. Other then that it was just pathetic crap.

yes 40 kg snatch is really strong, great job on that!

Thanks a lot guys!!! Especially considering now I think I might have (and had during that workout) food poisoning. If I can do that with food poisoning I can't wait to see what I do healthy!!! :D Oh and I also choked my MM1 specs Elite (156 lbs) down to 5/8" and got it to about 1/32", damn it was SOOO close!!!

Edited by vikingsrule92

Dammit, I need to start writing stuff down I forget parts of it. Good workout today though.

Grippers:

Warmups

156 at 5/8" in choker PR

156 at 3/4" in choker PR!!!! Been my goal for a while

130 at 5/8" choker LH PR

130 at 3/4" choker LH PR!!!

CCS 124 RH

CCS 132 RH PR!!!

CCS #2 LH

124 LH to 1/16" (a bunch of attempts on this gripper between 1/8" and a hair)

145 RH to a hair DAMMIT!!! (a LOT of attempts on this between 1/8" and a hair)

144 RH to a hair!!!!! ARG!!! I think if I try this or the 145 when fresh I'll get it.

CCS 138 to 1/4" worn out by this point, should get it soon when fresh

TNS 124 to 3/16" should get this when fresh

Penny hold with various grippers with both hands.

Next workout needs to be more organized, these weren't in order btw and I'm missing some attempts

Bending:

Just some 60ds, biceps were hurting so I stopped, going to have to ease in to this slowly

DO Axle

240 8x3 Sumo style Good reps my form is getting better. i think 323 or so is possible by Arizona Summer All Comers (Is that right? :D)

Card Tearing

Getting WAYYY better compared to how abismal they were before. Got a full deck of really crappy cards. i might not get last in tearing at BBB!!! YAY!!!!

20KG Long Cycle C&J x 20R, 15L Capable of way more, but I was tired, my cardio sucks, and I'm still worried about my biceps

Lot of PR's in that one Derek! I'll update the list as soon as I get just a few more (still not that many) :blush

Keep up the good work!

Great job on the grippers Derek! Lot of PRs man.

Thanks Ben!!! I think since this is the first time I've trained grippers seriously in a LONG time the PRs should keep coming for a while.

Thanks Paul!!

Thumb/Braced Day today

Blobs!!!

40lb holds each hand

45lb x 1 each

45-40 double lift (45 in left)

Negs with Blob50

Hang Clean 35lb x 3 each

35 lb curl by face each hand

40lb for reps x 15L, 13R

35lb x 35 sec L, 30 sec R

40lb x 13 sec L, 10 sec R ; 14 sec L, 11 sec R

Horseshoes!!!

DC0 to about 140

DS0 (Diamond Special) to about 120

DAMMIT!!! VERY happy to kink these but I can't finish!!! The DS0 was moving SOOO well and then it froze.

5/8" x 30" HRS I'm not nearly at the point I once was. This hurt like HELL!! It wasn't that muscularly hard, but my knee and thigh conditioning is not what it once was. Going to have to work hard to be in the chase for the AZ comp

Cool Down, 5 mins at ~10mph on a recumbant bike

Solid day today, LOTS of volume, holy crap.

Grippers (unless designated otherwise regular numbers stand for lbs on a cal'd gripper)(at 7/8" for example means choked at that width):

Warmups

RH: Easy RB240

LH: 130 at 7/8" to 1/8"

R 145 MMS PR!!!!!!

L 130 at 7/8" PR

R 138 CCS to 3/32" PR DAMMIT I want to close this so bad, now my number 1 goal in grippers

L 130 at 1" PR

R 124 TNS to 1/16" My number 2 goal in grippers now

L 130 at 1 1/8" PR

R HG300 at parallel to 1/16" (this is harder then my 156 MM1)

L 124 to 1/8" Setting still sucks, strength is easily there

R Hard RB240 PR

L 130 at 1 1/4" to 1/8"

R RB300N to 1/16"

L 130 at 1 1/4" to 1/4"

R HG300 at parallel to 1/8"

L 130 at 1 1/4" Neg

R HG300 at parallel Neg

L 130 at 1 1/4" BFN x 3

R HG300 at parallel BFN x 3

L #1.5 x 22sec OC

R #2 x 28sec OC

L HG250 x 26sec OC

R #1.5 x 38sec OC

L #1 x 30sec OC

Whole arms were shaking like hell on the last few secs of the last two negs

Bending:

2 60ds

7" Square in thin wraps

440 Bastard in crappy doubles (got it to past 90, cheat kinked it a bit, then finished)

Getting better, not even close to par

DO Axle: 246 - 8x3 EASY considering how much gripper volume. Will do 255 next week, hopefully at least 265 by comp time

Isos on my DC0 at 135, I think it actually moved a bit, but hard to say. About 7 isos of about 8-12 secs. DAMN

Great workout Derek! I think the rest did you good!

• 2 weeks later...

This bicep injury is constantly nagging and at this rate I might have to half ass the AZ comp so I can be better off for BBB, dammit why do I have to be injured right before two comps?!?!?!

Anyway, today I did squats. Nothing too noteworthy, everything was done as box squats because I realized my form is HORRIFIC! So I'm trying to work on that, this is a suggestion I took from a Rick Walker article. The box was a chair since I have no plyos, but it was probably a bad idea to pick an adjustable height chair, as in my last set of front squats it lowered on me at the bottom and I had to recover, luckily I avoided injury. Basically just Pistols, squats, front squats, nothing major.

Edited by vikingsrule92

This bicep injury is constantly nagging and at this rate I might have to half ass the AZ comp so I can be better off for BBB, dammit why do I have to be injured right before two comps?!?!?!

Anyway, today I did squats. Nothing too noteworthy, everything was done as box squats because I realized my form is HORRIFIC! So I'm trying to work on that, this is a suggestion I took from a Rick Walker article. The box was a chair since I have no plyos, but it was probably a bad idea to pick an adjustable height chair, as in my last set of front squats it lowered on me at the bottom and I had to recover, luckily I avoided injury. Basically just Pistols, squats, front squats, nothing major.

Nothing done half-assed is worth doing at all. Either do the AZ comp full bore, or don't do it at all ;)

How was your form "HORRIFIC"? Too high? Too wide? Too wobbly? Not enough arch? Bad bar position? DETAILS!!!

Also, if I may inquire, what is your max squat?

Nothing done half-assed is worth doing at all. Either do the AZ comp full bore, or don't do it at all ;)

How was your form "HORRIFIC"? Too high? Too wide? Too wobbly? Not enough arch? Bad bar position? DETAILS!!!

Also, if I may inquire, what is your max squat?

But considering I'm paying roughly $800 for BBB, and it's much bigger, I'd rather be healthy for that then F#$K my biceps up badly at the AZ comp.

Knees going forward, I forgot to put that sorry.

I never maxed, but with knees going forward (not WAYYY forward, just a little, but still not good) I got about 175x5 ATG. Also way back when I was doing parallel squats I got in the low 200s for 5, I can't remember exactly. My squats are embarrassing, my bench should not be as strong as my squat and yet it is.

Thanks Derek...I needed that confidence boost. I've done 295x5 for ATG squats :D (And I don't need to hear from all you strongmen to make me feel like a weak wuss, now).

Knees going forward, I forgot to put that sorry.

Your knees are SUPPOSED to go forward on ATG squats. ATG squats are often full olympic squats for the more flexible among us(myself included). I'm willing to bet your included in that crowd at 5'10 sub-160. With full olympic/ATG squats, the lower back rounds at the very bottom position and the knees go over the toes to accomodate the depth. It puts a MUCH greater emphasis on the hamstrings and glutes than your typical powerlifting style squat, even if it's IPF legal depth. Check out Ivan Chakarov here doing the NO NO NO squats and you'll see that world class olympic lifter's knees go past their toes all the time. Now if your knees were going past your toes on power squats or wide stance squats, you've got a weird problem.