Derek's Bending Log

vikingsrule92

Today's Braced session!! Amazing day for everything!!

Usual Warmups, for some reason I could not finish a 12" Griprite to save my life, I guess I just wasnt warmed up enough. I also did a 5/8" x 34" already kinked to 80* and finished it using the pull across the hip with the bar in the crotchal region (hehe Zach :D). This hurt like HELL!! I don't know how you guys pull that short shiesse like that.

5/8" x 36" HRS Square to 35ish degrees. This is the steel from a psycho bacth I had before, .2mm bigger then the other stuff and feels at least .5-1 mm bigger, ridiculous steel. Didn't expect to finish it but semi disappointed with this.

5/8" x 28 3/8" PR!!! SUPER easy!! About 1 min.

1/2" x 15" PR Not too bad

1/2" x 14.5" PR!!! Not bad either, watch out Tim I, I'm coming for you buddy only 1/2" off.

11" Keystone PR Easy, especially for this late in the workout

11 5/8" Tree Island with a small prekink PR Again very easy for this late in the workout

3/8" x 9.5" Square HRS PR (bigger tougher steel then last piece so I'm counting it) this was mostly on the flat, AND I popped a big blister on my left hand, so this was pretty psycho hard, a 9" piece will fall when fresh.

Videos will be up later, this workout was 7 bends, at least 1 more then any other one and I'm feeling it now, plus I had the extra warmup. Going to be sore from this one :D

Decided to do something random today, just felt like it :D I had an old small pot my grandma gave me (real cheapo) so I decided to tear it :D I just moved it back and forth A LOT until I started getting a rip then took it from there. It was harder with a pot then it would be with a frying pan because of how the base meets the side at a 90 degree angle, it was hard to transition from the rip on the side to the rip on the base. Took a while but it was a pretty damn good workout. I ended up tearing it to 1/4ths and I think 8ths is doable next time I feel like it, just too tired after this.

Then I screwed around with grippers just a little to see where I was. Nearly got the 2.5 righty, but I couldn't get the setting lefty, my bad blister on the base of my palm was prohibitive. Then I lifted 205 on 2" Vbar righty, blister prohibited again lefty.

Edited by vikingsrule92

Well this has been a horrific last month just plagued by injuries and it still continues. From the bad abdominal strain I got rid of, to the back strain I'm still battling and I'm at best 75% right now (although in workouts past I've felt at least 95%, that's the only reason i worked out), now I'm combating calf strains on both legs prohibiting me from running and a flexor carpi ulnaris strain on my left forearm (the tendon on the far outside part of your forearm). And on top of all that I think I'm getting sick right now. We'll have to see what happens with the workout this week, depending on these injuries it might not happen. I know everyone here will tell me blah blah blah rest and all that but I'm listening to my body, I know what to do. And the worst part, I'm going to fall WAYYYY behind in the non-psycho strong 5/8" race

Some swimming for cardio today. A bunch of laps up and down the pool using either just my legs (backwards with pedaling motion) and just my arms (normal stroke, don't know the "technical" term). A LOT better cardio then I expected, had me huffing and puffing after each lap and REALLY had my lower quads and delts (respectively) BURNING. I'll probably go back later tonight because that was AMAZING rehab for my back and calves. I also have a massage appointment Wednesday with John Clark (Big John to those that know him) so hopefully he can help me knock these injuries out.

More swimming tonight for about an hour and a half, although 15-20 minutes of that was spent in the hot tub, haha. After the first set of just arm laps (4) I was just totally trashed. I was nauseas, and my shoulders, pecs, lats, and arms were just OBLITERATED. DAMN that's good cardio. And I did 5 laps just legs before the just arms and then 10 more after some time in the hot tub recuperating. After those last 10 my legs were just total jello, I could barely drive the about 500 feet back to my house :D:laugh

Man, hope the sickness goes and the injuries heal up soon Derek! Serious swimming is no joke either!

I could barely drive the about 500 feet back to my house :D:laugh

You DROVE 500ft?

Man, hope the sickness goes and the injuries heal up soon Derek! Serious swimming is no joke either!
I could barely drive the about 500 feet back to my house :D:laugh

You DROVE 500ft?

Well it was probably longer then that, 1/4 mile or so. Still walkable, but probably not after that swim, hahaha :D And it was pitch black so I said to hell with it and drove.

I'm not sick I was just feeling sick, most of the injuries seem to be decent EXCEPT the back.

Alright people, I saw the masseur today, John Clark is a magic man by the way :D He seems to think the original back injury is mostly healed but it seems to have splintered, meaning the rest of the back is tender from having to compensate from the injury for so long. I'm going to try to ice and heat it and keep it active by swimming and I think, maybe, I might be good for a workout on Friday. He said as long as I warmup very thoroughly and pay attention to how my back is feeling and immediately stop at the first sign of pain I'll be ok.

Alright people, I saw the masseur today, John Clark is a magic man by the way :D He seems to think the original back injury is mostly healed but it seems to have splintered, meaning the rest of the back is tender from having to compensate from the injury for so long. I'm going to try to ice and heat it and keep it active by swimming and I think, maybe, I might be good for a workout on Friday. He said as long as I warmup very thoroughly and pay attention to how my back is feeling and immediately stop at the first sign of pain I'll be ok.

Man, I wouldn't work out anything seriously involving the back. Whatever you do, do it LIGHT!!! I know you've heard this a bajillion times now but I know too many people who pushed a back injury too hard and paid the price.

WORST braced bending session of my life, maybe even worst bending session of my life. Nothing could have possibly gone right today, and it wasn't even my back that was the problem.

Warmups

1/2" x 20" Square HRS Got it, but I was expecting it to be fast, and it should have been but for some reason my knees were insanely sensitive today, took me pretty much all of the 5 mins to finish, too embarrassed to post the video.

5/8" x 27.5" Got it, but WAYYYY over 5 mins, had to come back to it twice to finish it. Didn't move AT ALL over my knee. I kinked it on the thigh, continued it using the under the thigh Paul technique, and finished with the hip crush. I pulled my hammy in the middle of this, took a 15 min break and came back. It's feeling decent now I hope it conti nues that way.

1/2" x 13 5/8" kinked to 40 degrees. Couldn't find a good way to finish. Horrible day all around.

10" Keystone barely kinked. It was flexing between my thighs but I couldn't finish it.

Embarrassed to post this workout. Next week I'm going camping and I'm going to try what David Horne did, take a hike up the mountain then bend at the top. Should be fun assuming my knees aren't total $H!T like today and no injuries are acting up. At this rate BBB is going to be an utter nightmare.

At this rate BBB is going to be an utter nightmare.

Good thing you still have a few months then! Remember man, if you could manage to rest awhile and let that back heal up, you'd be at 110% soon after. Your knee being sensitive, your back hurting, the general "sick" feeling, it's all your body telling you to JUST QUIT FOR AWHILE. This is one instance where you should start listening to your body ;)

Good thing you still have a few months then! Remember man, if you could manage to rest awhile and let that back heal up, you'd be at 110% soon after. Your knee being sensitive, your back hurting, the general "sick" feeling, it's all your body telling you to JUST QUIT FOR AWHILE. This is one instance where you should start listening to your body ;)

Well, you know I hate to admit you're right Zach but you are. I think I'll rest until AT LEAST when I get back from vacation early in July, probably somewhere around my bday I'll start training again in time to get into decent shape to train with the Texas dudes. Don't worry, anyone who beats me while I'm gone, I'll be sure to kick your ass whn I come back :D:laugh See you guys in three weeks :cry:(

Well, you know I hate to admit you're right Zach but you are. I think I'll rest until AT LEAST when I get back from vacation early in July, probably somewhere around my bday I'll start training again in time to get into decent shape to train with the Texas dudes. Don't worry, anyone who beats me while I'm gone, I'll be sure to kick your ass whn I come back :D:laugh See you guys in three weeks :cry:(

Smart move Derek; you're too young to be hurting so much. You'll be stronger than ever a few months from now.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I started up working out again today after an almost 1 month layoff. Back is feeling pretty good, but not 100% perfect. Today was just a tune up workout to get my ass into gear. Nothing anywhere near amazing. Got the 2.78 SM to an 1/8" which that gripper was my PR close at ACGS, my last time with grippers. Blobs were AMAZING given a 5 month layoff on them. I got the 45 each hand. And the 45 and 40 double lift with both combinations (45 R 40 L, 40R 45L). Bending was pretty bad, but I was taking it easy, kinked a Red pretty far but couldn't finish it using crappy pads. Did a little braced, a 12" spike and 5/8" x 36", both were crazy easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Kettlebell workout today!!! I got a 28kg and a 36kg while in Dallas from the Ader factory and they are NICE!! They're no DD bells but they're much better then my Apollos. I REALLY can't wait until I get my DD 40kg I got off of eBay for $170. I feel bad for the UPS driver damn, maybe I'll have to tip him or her, haha.

Today was a Hard style workout, so sue me Andrew :D

Warmups with my 20kg

Snatched and Push pressed my 36kg righty and was crazy close on the snatch lefty and barely got the PP

Some strict pressing with the 20kg

PP 28kg x 10R 7L

Front Squat 24kg x 8 each shoulder

PP 24kg x 15R 11L started to get tired

snatch 32kg x 3R 2L

snatch 28kg x 10R 7L

I think I forgot some stuff, it sure felt longer then that, I need to start writing this stuff down as I do it, oh well next time. I'm workiung out with Aaron tomorrow and I might do a soft style workout Wednesday. I really need to get a 16kg to do 5 min sets but I'm broke after that 40kg purchase. My goal is to be able to PP that by the time it gets here, we'll see it might take me longer then that, hell it probably will but oh well, at my BW I figure that'll be a damn decent accomplishment. Til next time people!!!

I also forgot to include I did some TGUs with my 24kg, 1 each arm, almost got the second rep righty.

Also did some BW pistols, not great form, I had to rebalance myself a few times, and some reps were deeper then others but this is just a feat I'm starting to work on.

Derek its awesome how you can lay off the BLOBs for 5 months come back to em and youve improved, cause your fresh, trully tells me that training with Blobs is a good way to go the strength is always there no matter what

also great job on the KB workouts, that 40 kg youve ordered is a MONSTER!!! watch out

I want one as well

keep on hitting the Kettlebells

-Steve

Thanks a lot Steve. Yeah the blobs have always been there, I can pretty much pick up a 40 lber cold with no chalk at this point.

I plan on sticking with KBs, and getting a lot more serious with them. I know it's a monster, trust me, but I can't wait to try to shoulder it :D

Worked out with Aaron today, nothing too spectacular on my part. I got 17 bottoms up snatches with his 16k KB, I need to get a small one like that for high rep stuff, damn lack of money. A few decent Negs with his blob. Left hand wasn't feeling at all good for grippers, it hasn't adapted back yet and my sets aren't clicking. I need to practice with my #1.5 or something. I got really close on 144, 145, 149, and mid 140s HG300 calibrated grippers righty. Some Aarons and some mine. Not too bad but not what I was hoping for.

HOWEVER, if I can speak for him Aaron's workout was pretty good, pretty decent grippers, especially with the injuries he's fighting. But his bending was nothing short of spectacular. He only did crush work for the hard stuff (but he did take down a Big Bastard of the 515 in about 15 seconds :D). He crushed down a 3/8" x 7" Square HRS at 665 from 2.75" to about 1.25". He took a 11/32" SS piece from 2.5" to 1 7/8" in one hit. He took a 3/8" x 7" DR W1 (he says about as tough as a KOAB) from 1 7/8" ( I think?) to 1.5" (I think?) in one quick hit. And he took a 3/8" x 6" HRS from 1.5" to inside 1.25" in one, seemingly effortless, hit.

Thanks a lot Steve. Yeah the blobs have always been there, I can pretty much pick up a 40 lber cold with no chalk at this point.

I plan on sticking with KBs, and getting a lot more serious with them. I know it's a monster, trust me, but I can't wait to try to shoulder it :D

Glad to hear that Derek! You wont regret it man! It's even better that you have a few sizes to work with too, going from 16-40. Those 40's aren't so scary ;)

Glad to hear that Derek! You wont regret it man! It's even better that you have a few sizes to work with too, going from 16-40. Those 40's aren't so scary ;)

I know I won't!! I don't plan on doing any real weight exercises like DLs, squats, etc but instead supplementing everything with KBs. I plan on in corporating both the AKC and RKC mindsets into my training into seperate workouts. I really don't see why you need to limit yourself by only doing high rep stuff when you can be working towards overall strength, not just endurance. To me that's like using a treadmill only for very light jogging for long periods, when you should also be using it for sprints and everything in between.

Well once this gets here I'll have a full set from 20k-40k in 4k increments, then I'll be ordering a 16k Agatsu (I really want to try out these canadian ones) so I can have a pretty much full set (or at least as full as I'll need for a while :D) Eventually I'd love to upgrade some of my crappy Apollos to AKC or something, and I plan on that down the road a little too.

I know I won't!! I don't plan on doing any real weight exercises like DLs, squats, etc but instead supplementing everything with KBs. I plan on in corporating both the AKC and RKC mindsets into my training into seperate workouts. I really don't see why you need to limit yourself by only doing high rep stuff when you can be working towards overall strength, not just endurance. To me that's like using a treadmill only for very light jogging for long periods, when you should also be using it for sprints and everything in between.

Well once this gets here I'll have a full set from 20k-40k in 4k increments, then I'll be ordering a 16k Agatsu (I really want to try out these canadian ones) so I can have a pretty much full set (or at least as full as I'll need for a while :D) Eventually I'd love to upgrade some of my crappy Apollos to AKC or something, and I plan on that down the road a little too.

I've played with Andrew's 32kg a few times now and those AKC bells are GREAT. Then again, my 24kg is a PowerMax so anything feels better on the hands :rolleyes Seriously though, the AKC bells are NOICE :cool

Nice work with the kettlebells Derek! Awesome freaking crushdown strength Aaron!!! Looking forward to seeing you back to full and beyond strength! Tear it up man!

where did you get your bells from?

brent

Edited by barbe705

where did you get your bells from?

brent

I got my Apollos from Play It Again Sports, but I wouldn't recommend those. I got my Ader bells from kettlebellinc.com, fortunately I was able to pick them up in Dallas where they're located when I was there, they're pretty nice but better ones are available for a similar price. I got my DD that's coming from eBay, and I plan on getting an Agatsu bell from kettlebellsusa.com here shortly. Let me know if you need recommendations, I'm no expert but I can help out.

Zach I tried Greg Griffin's 32kg Powermax in Texas and it was HORRIFYING!!! I would NEVER EVER buy those!! Yeah I've never worked with AKC a lot, but soon I plan on going to P&P (the gym where Rex works out) and trying John's bells. He's a certified RKC and he has various AKC, DD, etc bells but last time I was there I didn't know the difference between the AKC and a pile of crap bell, now that I know better I can't wait to experiment a lot with them.