Derek's Bending Log

vikingsrule92

Thanks a lot guys!! The videos are posted in the bending section.

• 2 weeks later...

TERRRRRIBLE workout today.

Braced session

5/8" x 38" Square HRS PR!!!! I got to the crush insanely fast and then it took me about 2 mins to get it from about 120 degrees to finished. Unfortunately, this COMPLETELY fried me and I couldn't do jack SH&* the rest of the day

5/8" x 28" to 90 degrees. DAMMIT!!!! Couldn't get past this point. Hamstrings were completely toast after this, should have just quit but ....

3/8" x 9" Square HRS to 30 degrees, Like I said, fried

Griprite Shiny 80d, small kink. Big enough where I could have hammed it up if it wasn't for being fried

3/8" x 7" HKT bolt (infamous off-center bender), small kink, too tired and I haven't bent DO in a while, shouldn't have tried this.

DAMN I'm out of shape!!!

2 miles at ~10 min/mile pace. This almost killed me!!! I got back to the house and I literally almost threw up. Damn.

2 miles at ~10 min/mile pace. This almost killed me!!! I got back to the house and I literally almost threw up. Damn.

Almost threw up? Doesn't count :D Another mile!

I'm sure you'll get those bends another day.

Haha yeah thats true :D Hey I haven't thrown up after running since I played football, I don't feel like starting up again. And if I could have felt my legs I might have gone longer ;)

Hopefully. I have a conundrum, if I try the 5/8" round first, I can never lock it in place to start it and its harder, BUT, if I do the 5/8" Square first, which helps solve the first problem I'm too tired to perform fully on the round. Advice?

Yesterday's Braced Workout!!

Usual warmups

5/8" x 37" Square HRS PR!!! WAYYY easier then I expected, I easliy could have been good for 36.

5/8" x 28" HRS to 85 degrees, DAMMIT!!! I waited too long between bends and I wasn't warm, this bend is officially pissing me off.

1/2" x 15 3/4" HRS PR!! Really easy, a 15" dies next workout

8.5" Griprite Galvanized to 10 degrees, I got the kink but the sweep on these spikes is nasty

11.5" Keystone PR Not too bad at all, I kinked it really far really easily, but my thigh power was mostly worn out so the sweep took me a bit.

80d Griprite Shiny PR Way easier then I expected after failing last time.

HUGE bruises today, but I've been healing quickly recently so hopefully they'll be gone soon.

Yesterday's Braced Workout!!

Usual warmups

5/8" x 37" Square HRS PR!!! WAYYY easier then I expected, I easliy could have been good for 36.

5/8" x 28" HRS to 85 degrees, DAMMIT!!! I waited too long between bends and I wasn't warm, this bend is officially pissing me off.

1/2" x 15 3/4" HRS PR!! Really easy, a 15" dies next workout

8.5" Griprite Galvanized to 10 degrees, I got the kink but the sweep on these spikes is nasty

11.5" Keystone PR Not too bad at all, I kinked it really far really easily, but my thigh power was mostly worn out so the sweep took me a bit.

80d Griprite Shiny PR Way easier then I expected after failing last time.

HUGE bruises today, but I've been healing quickly recently so hopefully they'll be gone soon.

Nice bends Derek.

:rock

Haha yeah thats true :D Hey I haven't thrown up after running since I played football, I don't feel like starting up again. And if I could have felt my legs I might have gone longer ;)

Hopefully. I have a conundrum, if I try the 5/8" round first, I can never lock it in place to start it and its harder, BUT, if I do the 5/8" Square first, which helps solve the first problem I'm too tired to perform fully on the round. Advice?

Man, whenever I was forced to run in High School I prayed for the part of the race where my legs went numb! My pace actually hastened after that quite a bit. My legs were always the part of me that held my mile times back because they had NO endurance at the time while I didn't often cramp up or stop to catch my breath.

My advice on the braced question, just keep trying 5/8" round first. Get some 30 or 32" pieces and play around with positioning so that the next time you start off with round, you win :rock

Man, whenever I was forced to run in High School I prayed for the part of the race where my legs went numb! My pace actually hastened after that quite a bit. My legs were always the part of me that held my mile times back because they had NO endurance at the time while I didn't often cramp up or stop to catch my breath.

My advice on the braced question, just keep trying 5/8" round first. Get some 30 or 32" pieces and play around with positioning so that the next time you start off with round, you win :rock

Well it wasn't so much them being numb, that set in after the first mile or so and I was keeping about the same pace, it was that they were in horrible pain more so :D.

Yeah but when I do that, the kink is so damn hard I can't even consider going through to the sweep. I have been considering trying longer pieces to figure out the pull across the leg technique. I have an old 34" piece that stopped at about 80 degrees on me a while ago i think I'll play around with next workout.

Well it wasn't so much them being numb, that set in after the first mile or so and I was keeping about the same pace, it was that they were in horrible pain more so :D.

Yeah but when I do that, the kink is so damn hard I can't even consider going through to the sweep. I have been considering trying longer pieces to figure out the pull across the leg technique. I have an old 34" piece that stopped at about 80 degrees on me a while ago i think I'll play around with next workout.

Hehe... hehe... Okay I'll say it! So it sounds like all you need to do is... TOUGHEN UP ;) Seriously though, and I know I don't need to tell you this but I will remind you that, when you push through the pain, severe fatigue, and tough it out until that something is finished, you will become stronger than any routine or thought-out program/cycle ever could.

NOW GET TO BRUISING THAT TIBIA!!!

Hehe... hehe... Okay I'll say it! So it sounds like all you need to do is... TOUGHEN UP ;) Seriously though, and I know I don't need to tell you this but I will remind you that, when you push through the pain, severe fatigue, and tough it out until that something is finished, you will become stronger than any routine or thought-out program/cycle ever could.

NOW GET TO BRUISING THAT TIBIA!!!

With jogging? If so, I know that, but I've always been in horrible shape I'm getting there. Trust me, any more jogging that day and I would have passed out. I'm all for the toughening up, but that's where I draw the line in the sand, call me a pussy if you please.

Tibia? Say what? I mean the pull across the thigh like Paul Knight does for the sweep on mid length stuff, not over the knee. Jeeze you're smart Zach I always use the knee pull, it's already got a giant callous on it buddy :D

With jogging? If so, I know that, but I've always been in horrible shape I'm getting there. Trust me, any more jogging that day and I would have passed out. I'm all for the toughening up, but that's where I draw the line in the sand, call me a pussy if you please.

Tibia? Say what? I mean the pull across the thigh like Paul Knight does for the sweep on mid length stuff, not over the knee. Jeeze you're smart Zach I always use the knee pull, it's already got a giant callous on it buddy :D

Haha, I meant for both Jogging and bending ;) Ah, I thought you meant the kink on the knee :blush I always get it far enough with my knee and pulling back and then pull down ontop of my thigh and then thigh crush it. You are talking about the move where you put one end of the bar in your crotchal region( :tongue ) and pull up right? If so, I've never used it so good luck with it.

Nice work man. Did you video any of the last session? I would like to see the 5/8" to see where you get stuck at.

Great work btw, you are progressing really fast man. As I have been figuring out braced bending and scrolling has made me allot stronger overall in everything even though I hadn't been lifting so much recently.

The pulling under the leg style is really strong. It works great when the bar is too short to pull on your hip. Or like my last 3/4" x 36" if the bar is long enough but too strong. And Aaron's around the ass worked awesome too when I wasn't quite in crush range yet. Then again I already said this before, but I am just saying it is a good thing to work on and it will take you far.

As for the running I hate it. I have always had asthma and no matter how much I ran or my muscular endurance increased I could never get enough oxygen.

When I was playing football at the end of our practice we would have to run something called a "beast". Which is the whole team sprinting all out the length of the field up and back 3x in full pads. Occasionally if someone did something stupid like made fun of someone or did something unsportsman like we would have to run like 3 of those AFTER a game. Man I still get pangs of fear and nausea thinking about that. I hate running. I love short sprinting and don't mind paced jogging for distance, but distance RUNNING, F that noise.

I'd rather push a car till I puke. Or 20 rep squats or tabata O lifts (these are brutal). I have or have almost puked doing all these. They get you in serious shape all the same.

Try the Tabata method one time instead of running. It is actually proven to increase aerobic capacity faster than running. It is basically just doing something hard like sprinting, cleans, squats, ect. as fast as you possibly can and with the lifts as many as you can for 20 seconds then resting 10 seconds. Try and do this 6 times. Just try it once with say front squats, use LIGHT weight, I mean something that feels silly easy starting out, you will see why at the end. Go all out for that 20 seconds and tell me how you feel at the end of the 6th set. That is only 3 mintues of work compared to how long running?

Oh they also say do 5 minutes of warm up and cool down before and after, something easy like jogging around. It might be important.

Haha, I meant for both Jogging and bending ;) Ah, I thought you meant the kink on the knee :blush I always get it far enough with my knee and pulling back and then pull down ontop of my thigh and then thigh crush it. You are talking about the move where you put one end of the bar in your crotchal region( :tongue ) and pull up right? If so, I've never used it so good luck with it.

Zach, I'm 10 times as tough as you'll ever be with bending little buddy, try to keep up ;) When you get shorter then 3' it's pretty much impossible to pull down on the thigh, you can't get any leverage. Yes Zach, that'd be the one.

Tim, I do have video, but I think my step mom might have deleted it, as she took the camera with her to Vegas.

Thanks, yeah I think this is making me a lot stronger mentally and physically then weight lifting ever has. It just costs a lot more money :D

Yeah it is, and I think through isos I'm really starting to get the hang of the positioning and the power position for me. I'll have to wait and try it out next workout.

I don't think running is that bad, but I think I'll try out that Tabata deal in the coming weeks. However my back is still a little tweaky from straining it two weeks ago, we'll see how things work out for it and go from there.

Good stuff lately Derek. Are you going to make it out to the MGC6?

It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to. With the way airplane tickets are costing now and that I haven't booked a ticket yet it's not looking good unfortunately. I'll be at BBB without a doubt though if you're going there. Thanks Ben.

Zach, I'm 10 times as tough as you'll ever be with bending little buddy, try to keep up ;) When you get shorter then 3' it's pretty much impossible to pull down on the thigh, you can't get any leverage. Yes Zach, that'd be the one.

Bah! That's exactly how I bent 29" and 30" pieces of 5/8 and it netted me a good 5" farther on each bend. Perhaps your core is lacking a tad and you should actually get to serious full body training ;)

It sucks you wont be able to make it to MGC6 Derek, oh well. Like you said, there will be the BBB4 :devil

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Nice bending Derek !! Good luck on that 28".Im shooting for a 27"3/4 next week !! :D

Bah! That's exactly how I bent 29" and 30" pieces of 5/8 and it netted me a good 5" farther on each bend. Perhaps your core is lacking a tad and you should actually get to serious full body training ;)

It sucks you wont be able to make it to MGC6 Derek, oh well. Like you said, there will be the BBB4 :devil

That sounds like a challenge Zach, do you have anything to back it up with? Didn't think so since the only event you can beat me on is horseshoes mmmk bye! Besides, even Tim says thats a very ineffective technique with short stuff, look about 5 posts up.

Yup there's always that event for me to kick your ass in.

That sounds like a challenge Zach, do you have anything to back it up with? Didn't think so since the only event you can beat me on is horseshoes mmmk bye! Besides, even Tim says thats a very ineffective technique with short stuff, look about 5 posts up.

Haha, sounds like a bit of trash talk there Derek ;) We'll see come BBB4 then :rock :rock :rock

It's always good to see a grip duel. That ought to be very interesting to see the results after BBB4! I'm not going due to not being interested whatsoever in a few events.

Haha, sounds like a bit of trash talk there Derek ;) We'll see come BBB4 then :rock :rock :rock

No I'm just promising to kick your ass ;) Haha but in all seriousness, with how much I SUCK at tearing you might be able to beat me, I better go train cards now :D

Ben, me and Zach have always been arch rivals :D We've been talking crap since before last BBB when I thought I could go but ended up having too many problems.