Derek's Bending Log

vikingsrule92

Yeah I'd say if Aaron struggled with pretty much any length below 5.5" it's got to be super stout.

crescent wrench would impress me the most of the talent show selection it's something that everybody has an idea of how strong it is the long bars are something not many people are going to respect because they don't know anything about it

Okay guys more braced stuff!!!

Warmups:

3- 60ds

12" Griprite Shiny in thin wraps (trying to build my way to doing an easy spike in a hanky or bandana)

1/2" x 16.5" HRS to ~65 deg. DAMMIT!!! I don't think I was warmed up enough for this one

5/8" x 31" PR!!!! Pretty easy, about 2 mins, not sure if I'll try the 30.5" or the 30" next time

5/8" x 43" Square HRS PR!!! REALLY easy, either its batch variation (new batch) or I've gotten A LOT stronger, went down in about 45 secs.

12" Keystone spike PR!! FINALLY!!!!

10.5" Medium spike (from ACE, harder then a shiny but easier then a Keystone) went down really easy. Haven't done these brand in a while so I wasn't sure what to expect

TONS of isos on braced and DO stuff

Pullups BW x 10, 7, 2 REALLY tired by this point

30 min jog/walk About half and half. I got lost in my neighborhood, LOL so I got more then I expected :D

Vids will be up later

Some nice bends there, but I'm wondering how you managed to get lost in your own neigborhood :D Never mind me, I live in the sticks. It's hard to get lost when there are only two main roads in the whole county :D

Some nice bends there, but I'm wondering how you managed to get lost in your own neigborhood :D Never mind me, I live in the sticks. It's hard to get lost when there are only two main roads in the whole county :D

It was my dad's house first of all, and I was jogging in the wash behind his house, I turned somewhere, and when I backtracked I realized there was a bagillion turns and I took the wrong one to go back :D It's ok it just gave me an extra mile or 2 to walk ;)

Great bends! I don't know to much about brace bending, but I know enough to see that thoose are some really good bends. You are progressing fast to. Not to long ago in one of your vids bending a 5/8 you said "much respect for thoose bending 30" of this stuff". And now you're practically there yourself. :rock:rock:rock

Nice work man, were you at the crushdown on the 1/2" when you got stuck? Be prepared the 1/2" will start getting nasty on the crushdown in the shorter area you are approaching.

As for the talent show stuff, from the couple of pseudo shows I have done at work I will say don't try anything you aren't completly sure of. It sucks if you pick something a bit on the hard side and you end up feeling like crap the day you have to perform. In fact I would say get the stuff you are gonna do and do a complete test run through it the day after a really hard workout when your muscles are completly shot. Exclude or make easier any you can't get in that state. That will insure you kill them at the show with some rest and it is always more impressive to do something and make it look easy than to struggle through it.

Nice work man, were you at the crushdown on the 1/2" when you got stuck? Be prepared the 1/2" will start getting nasty on the crushdown in the shorter area you are approaching.

As for the talent show stuff, from the couple of pseudo shows I have done at work I will say don't try anything you aren't completly sure of. It sucks if you pick something a bit on the hard side and you end up feeling like crap the day you have to perform. In fact I would say get the stuff you are gonna do and do a complete test run through it the day after a really hard workout when your muscles are completly shot. Exclude or make easier any you can't get in that state. That will insure you kill them at the show with some rest and it is always more impressive to do something and make it look easy than to struggle through it.

Thanks Tim. Not a chance, I have yet to get stopped by any braced piece on the crushdown and 1/2" thats still in the teens won't stop me by any means. I got it to 65ish degrees, I wrote that on the workout report bro :D

Actually, the last day for auditions was the day after I got back from NYC, when I got in to the airport at midnight and home at 1 am, so I'll have to put it off til next year. But thanks for the advice.

Well I was more asking what technique that range falls into for you. 65 at that length I would be crushing down. As for being stoped on the crush in the teens we'll just have to wait and see about that.

Too bad about the audition, that would have been fun, you will certainly have allot more badass stuff to add by next year though.

Well I was more asking what technique that range falls into for you. 65 at that length I would be crushing down. As for being stoped on the crush in the teens we'll just have to wait and see about that.

Too bad about the audition, that would have been fun, you will certainly have allot more badass stuff to add by next year though.

oh ok, I'm still in the "archer" mode at that point, too wide to put between the thighs at that length. If it was a 12-14" at 65 degrees I'd be putting it between the thighs, not at 16.5" though.

Yeah, it was too bad, but if I had gone on around 3 hours sleep I couldn't have done jack squat :D

Today's Workout!! Filled with many failures :D

Big Golden Hexabastard to 2.5" PR DAMMIT!!!!!!! This piece is PISSING me off!! And given they cost about $3 a piece, it's that much worse

303 5/16" x 7" from Tim I (harder then reg Shiny) to about 40 degrees. Either this is psycho hard or I was psycho toast

5/16" x 7" generic (390) to 5 degrees in 4"x12" tiny pads

1/4" x 6.5" Square in 4" x 12" tiny pads PR Not bad, next time I might try a 6"

1/4" x 6" G8 to 30 degrees in tiny pads touching in center (as per Davids cert list) HOLY crap this was tough!!!

1/4" x 6" G5 Reverse to 10 degrees, then finished with medium leathers in center as per David's list

Some Isos

Finished a 3/8" x 11" HRS Square kinked to 40. REALLY tough, my wrists were TOAST!!!

Kettlebells!!!

Snatch: 24kg x 15R, 10L

30kg x 5R, 3L PR!!!

Push Press: 30kg x 3R, 1L

Abs!

Planche w/ 25lb Plate on back for ~1 min

Windshield Wipers x 10 each side

Hanging leg twists x ~10 per side

Kettlebells

Floor Press 24kg x 7R, 5L

OH MY GOD this was a long workout, I just couldn't stop myself!!!!! I might have even missed a few things, I can't remember

Great bending Derek! $3 a pop sucks!!!

Thanks and yeah it definitely does :dry

Just a correction, I obviously meant Plank on the ab workout, I'm DEFINITELY not strong enough to even do a Planche, yet alone hold one for a minute with 25 lbs on my back :D

Man you freaked me out for a minute with the 1 minute weighted planche thing until I saw the correction. I was going to say stop messing around with this stuff and go find an olympic coach asap.

So you finally got to my 303 huh? I had been waiting to see what you could do with it. That is about where I have it stuck still as well. I really think this is what the old shiny's were when only a few had bent them. I will be very impressed when you can bend this peice, certainly don't feel badly about it.

Interesting to see you are messing with smaller padding too, that is cool. The wraps I brought to work for everything I bent were 4" x 9". They are the same ones I have had for over a year I just keep cutting the edges off when they get holes in them. And no padding for any of the braced stuff. I was so mean to them but now I am superman at work, and I sure have the bruises to prove I earned it.

So you finally got to my 303 huh? I had been waiting to see what you could do with it. That is about where I have it stuck still as well. I really think this is what the old shiny's were when only a few had bent them. I will be very impressed when you can bend this peice, certainly don't feel badly about it.

That Stainless-303 is some nasty stuff. When I was a new Shiny bender I bought 12 foot of Stainless-303 from McMaster and it really seemed harder by a good bit than FBBC Stainless at the same time. But when I bought more of the Stainless-303 from a different steel supplier, it felt the same as the first Shinys.

More Braced bending!!!

Warmups:

3-60ds

12" Shiny Spike-for some reason this was hard, I really don't know why. I thought this was a bad omen but this workout ended up DAMN good!!

5/8" x 42" Square HRS PR!!! REALLY easy!! Not sure if I want to go for the 41" or the 40" next workout. Thoughts?

5/8" x 29 7/8" PR!!!! YESSS!!!! Sub 30"!!!!! SO exuberant about this!! Fairly tough, but not as tough as the 31" last time. Probably because I didn't do it first so I was more warmed up. I'll probably go after the 29" next time.

3/4" x 48" Not even a kink. This really felt like it would move but its so damn awkward since its so long. I'll get it eventually I suppose.

1/2" x 16.5" PR This was by far the hardest bend of the day. I needed more chalk on my pads, they were slipping all over the damn place, thats why I could only get it down to 4", instead of farther.

9 3/4" Galvanized Griprite PR Not to bad, never finished one of these before, nice thing to work up to the 10" Keystone Tim I gave me

9" Shiny Griprite PR Sweep was damn tough

Isos on a 12" Tree Island. I kinked it farther then it was before, but when I went for the sweep it kept flexing but not bending. If I'm fresh and I do it from straight I think I can do it.

Craploads of KB work, not sure exactly what. Some TGUs, Snatches, Jerks, Presses, OH Squats, etc.

Ran a lap around my mobile home park with a brief ~30 sec walk where I couldn't keep jogging. Pretty mad about this, I was so close to making it all the way, stopped about 1/4 mile from my house. I'm going to go cal how long this route is in my car.

The vids of the 5/8" Square and 5/8" will be up shortly.

Today's Workout

Ab Circuit - a bunch of different exercises for reps with 15-90 secs rest between sets, mostly towards the lower end except a few times. Various stuff, TGUs, Window Wipers, Rocky Abs, Hip/Leg lift combos, reverse crunches, bicycle crunches, flutter kicks, and planks.

Jogging- the slowest 1.25 miles you've ever seen from a guy under 200 lbs :D I need to start jogging in the morning or as the sun's going down because I had a cramp the size of a house about 3/4 a mile in to it. Otherwise I could have gone for another mile++.

Planche w/ 25lb Plate on back for ~1 min

FREAK

Haha dude you didn't see my correction. I meant to say Plank, I can't even do a planche, much less one for a minute with 25 lbs extra :D :D

freak weak :tongue

Haha well that's definitely true with weights, but I can beat you any day in grip :D:tongue

Jogging- the slowest 1.25 miles you've ever seen from a guy under 200 lbs :D I need to start jogging in the morning or as the sun's going down because I had a cramp the size of a house about 3/4 a mile in to it. Otherwise I could have gone for another mile++.

Nice you clarified "under 200 lbs" :D But I'm getting there. Yesterday I weighed in at 201.8 (down from 213). Anyway, since I have to be at work at 5:30 AM, I almost always run in the evening. The sun doesn't have to be down completely, but I have noticed even being out of direct sunlight makes a big difference. Plus I make sure I drink a TON before going out, especially in the hot weather. On my 8 miler a couple weeks ago I lost four pounds from sweating. Not enough to be dangerous in someone my size, but still no joke.

Nice you clarified "under 200 lbs" :D But I'm getting there. Yesterday I weighed in at 201.8 (down from 213). Anyway, since I have to be at work at 5:30 AM, I almost always run in the evening. The sun doesn't have to be down completely, but I have noticed even being out of direct sunlight makes a big difference. Plus I make sure I drink a TON before going out, especially in the hot weather. On my 8 miler a couple weeks ago I lost four pounds from sweating. Not enough to be dangerous in someone my size, but still no joke.

Couldn't forget about you Matt :D Nah in all seriousness I think you're probably far better then me in long distances since I'm so damn out of shape. You and my dad are in the same ballpark actually then. He's getting damn close to under 200, and actually is on some days but it varies (naturally). Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to do that in the future. Especially since even when the sun isn't up in the summer here it's still 80+++ :D

Alright guys, an AMAZING braced session today!!!! I had pretty strained abs going in to today from the ab workout and I was unsure if I could get anything big. I was also worried I might hurt myself. It might not have been my absolute best decision but I feel fine now and it was a great session so here it goes:

Warmups: The usual. For some reason the 12" spike felt really hard, but once I got angry at it, it folded easily.

5/8" x 39 7/8" Square HRS PR!!!! YEAH BABY!!!

5/8" x 29" HRS PR!!!! HELL YEAH!!!

1/2" x 16 1/4" PR OH YEAH!!!!

3/8" x 9.5" Square HRS PR DAMN STRAIGHT!!

8.5" Shiny Griprite Spike PR WAYYY too easy!!

9" Griprite Galvanized Spike PR WAYYYY damn hard!! Really tired by this point, this bend gave me a blister a little bigger then a quarter on the middle of my left palm, damn.

The vids of the 5/8" and 5/8" Square will be up shortly. Look for shorter stuff on all counts to die next weekend!!!!

Nice bends!

:rock It's a BIG PR day :rock