Derek's Bending Log

vikingsrule92

HORSESHOES!!!! :D

3 Lite Rim to 140 degrees!!!!!

2 Lite Rim to 110 degrees!!!!!

1 Lite Rim to just BARELY short of 90!!!!, if I was fresh this would have gone to 100+

I'd stop most of the volume for the heavier shoes and work that crush. Part of it is just perserverance through pain. Don't use a pad, I made that mistake at first and paid the price. If you can get the Lites that far, you should be able to melt a DC through the kink and get to the crush fast enough that the steel is super hot and your not knackered. Get to finishing those damned DC's, then finish off the big shoes. I've only ever failed on 1 shoe after I kinked it, the KH SSP #3 and it was because I was being a puss and letting the bloody blister on my palms and the large red bruiese on top of my thigh stop me. Basically, go fast and it wont hurt.

I expect to see a video of a Lite bend from the AZ COMP!!!! :rock :rock :rock

You're not even proud of me for those shoes :( Man Paul was amazed!! I know man, I know. Paul said I need to get with Eric and learn his masterful technique, I'll work on it.

1 Lite Rim to just BARELY short of 90!!!!, if I was fresh this would have gone to 100+

I'd stop most of the volume for the heavier shoes and work that crush. Part of it is just perserverance through pain. Don't use a pad, I made that mistake at first and paid the price. If you can get the Lites that far, you should be able to melt a DC through the kink and get to the crush fast enough that the steel is super hot and your not knackered. Get to finishing those damned DC's, then finish off the big shoes. I've only ever failed on 1 shoe after I kinked it, the KH SSP #3 and it was because I was being a puss and letting the bloody blister on my palms and the large red bruiese on top of my thigh stop me. Basically, go fast and it wont hurt.

You're not even proud of me for those shoes :( Man Paul was amazed!! I know man, I know. Paul said I need to get with Eric and learn his masterful technique, I'll work on it.

Well duh!!! I'm proud, I'll be impressed when you finish them(that means heart) ;)

Well duh!!! I'm proud, I'll be impressed when you finish them(that means heart) ;)

Hahaha ok thanks Zach!! I'll be sure to do that then!! If you want a full Lite bend by the AZ comp, idk, but I'll sure as hell be ready to do a Plain Lite to past 90 by then!!

Hahaha ok thanks Zach!! I'll be sure to do that then!! If you want a full Lite bend by the AZ comp, idk, but I'll sure as hell be ready to do a Plain Lite to past 90 by then!!

Good! Beware of those Plains. The Plains are a good bit tougher than the Rims so you really have to drive with all you have to finish one. I've seen Aaron McKenzie bend one and it took him longer to "S" it than it did for him to heart a hand forged "draft" shoe.

Pretty good last workout before the AZ comp.

Grippers:

132 R

132 L PR!!!

138 R

156 at parallel BFN 3-5s

130R at 1 1/4" L PR

132 L

RB300N R to 3/32"

132 TNS R to 1/8" couldn't get this positioned in my hand right

DO Bending:

460 Red

440 Huge Bastard to 10 degrees Bicep flamed up, so I stopped

DO Axle:

200x3

250x1

270x1

290x1

310x1 PR

317x1 PR!!!! 1lb away from double BW, and I can pull 10-15 more on a real Axle, you do the math :cool

317x to the knees, I was toast

KBs

16kg (AKC) Short Cycle Jerk x 101, 10 min test, switch at every minute 10rpm semi well paced

16kg Double Short Cycle x 20, 4 mins 5rpm. I wanted 10 minutes but this was harder then I thought, couldn't get comfy in the rack

40kg x 2 R Jerk Couldn't get it to sit well in my palm, was good for a few more but my wrist wasn't neutral so I could've hurt myself.

Nice axle pulling Derek!!! You've certainly got me beat on the axle right now.

Jeez Derek you might even have me beat on axle if my back isnt up to snuff on Saturday.

- Aaron

Haha I kind of doubt that sandbagger ;) But me, Paul, and you might be a good battle for 2nd (assuming Rex pulls good) on axle.

• 2 weeks later...

Never been so tired before in my LIFE!!!! Here it goes:

Unlike Zach :whistel , I am not sneaky at all and have no intentions of hiding grip workouts from you people, but ehh what the hell, they're a pain to write and maybe I should make that sneaky michiganer sweat a little.

Let's just say I had a pretty good day on grippers, a few PRs and some close misses on big grippers. Once my strength is 100% back from ASAC I'll be up there

Kettlebells!!!!

SSST (Secret Service Snatch Test) 16kg x 72; 6 min; switching on the minute 12rpm Left arm form was crappy, kept hitting the wrong part of my palm and hurt my elbow a bit

LCCJ (Long Cycle Clean & Jerk) 16kg x 70; 10 min, switching on the minute 7rpm This KILLED me!!! I like switching on the minute much better then 1 hand switch, I'll do it this way until after the IGX comp.

Running, it's been a while, I know!

1 mile, ~9 min, non stop jogging. I'm excited about this!! Never jogged a mile nonstop before, although I have done it in a slightly shorter time (I think? this wasn't with a stopwatch so it's hard to say, I need to buy one)

I'm DRENCHED after KBs and running. But GS has definitely helped my running ability. Runners, are you listening? :D

Do not underestimate the slowness of the fat boys running club. I did my last 5K at an average pace of 9:53 per mile :blush

Unlike Zach :whistel , I am not sneaky at all and have no intentions of hiding grip workouts from you people, but ehh what the hell, they're a pain to write and maybe I should make that sneaky michiganer sweat a little.

Haha, I'd place a :fear face here but it's almost pointless. Besides some weighted hangs and bending, I haven't closed any grippers, pinched anything or done much for wrists except playing some sledges. I'm still stuck on my stupid 152 #3 with a tough sweep :angry: Your just dissapointed I haven't posted anything recently since the comp is so close :laugh

Haha, I'd place a :fear face here but it's almost pointless. Besides some weighted hangs and bending, I haven't closed any grippers, pinched anything or done much for wrists except playing some sledges. I'm still stuck on my stupid 152 #3 with a tough sweep :angry: Your just dissapointed I haven't posted anything recently since the comp is so close :laugh

*COUGH, COUGH* sandbagger :D

What do you mean by that Matt? 9:53 is damn good, I couldn't do that pace for a little over 3 miles, I was about ready to fall over dead after this 1 mile :D

What do you mean by that Matt? 9:53 is damn good, I couldn't do that pace for a little over 3 miles, I was about ready to fall over dead after this 1 mile :D

Still, you have me beat in all out speed. My fastest mile this year was a 9:28, downhill assisted, in the 3rd mile of a 4-mile race back in July.

Still, you have me beat in all out speed. My fastest mile this year was a 9:28, downhill assisted, in the 3rd mile of a 4-mile race back in July.

But you have an extra ~70 (?) pounds on me. That's a BIG difference in running. I'm not calling you fat, it's just a badly worded compliment :laugh hahaha

Decent workout today. nothing too insanely special.

Decent day on grippers, no big PRs though.

Tried some RT. I forgot my numbers at my mom's house but I got 155 in plates (I think the apparatus is ~8). And I got 157.5 to lockout but it fell out at the top. Those are both well over BW so I'm happy, I've been shotting for BW RT for a LONG time.

Messed around with my 3" DB doing cleans and snatches. I snatched 60 R. I cleaned and jerked 70 R. Kinda fun stuff.

ACHYBALLS!!! (Hahaha I'm going to start using different IGX KB terms in every post :D)

Jerk: 24kg x 36; 6 min; 6rpm

LCCJ: 16kg x 60; 6 min; 10rpm Damn this pace is FAST for LCCJ, I have no idea how people can get their RPMs so high with this.

Jerk: 16kg x 90; 6 min; 15rpm I was shooting for 10 min but the pace was WAY to fast. Not bad though, I'm going to shoot for this pace for 8 min next workout.

All of these were switching on the minute, and they always will be unless stated otherwise.

Running: As it turns out you are faster then me Matt, my time last time was way off.

1 mile: 10:21.87 Dissappointed with this time but oh well. Felt faster then last time. And this time I had a finishing kick, instead of falling over ready to pass out, lol. I had more in me, maybe sub 10min next time.

Decent workout today. nothing too insanely special.

Decent day on grippers, no big PRs though.

Tried some RT. I forgot my numbers at my mom's house but I got 155 in plates (I think the apparatus is ~8). And I got 157.5 to lockout but it fell out at the top. Those are both well over BW so I'm happy, I've been shotting for BW RT for a LONG time.

Messed around with my 3" DB doing cleans and snatches. I snatched 60 R. I cleaned and jerked 70 R. Kinda fun stuff.

ACHYBALLS!!! (Hahaha I'm going to start using different IGX KB terms in every post :D)

Jerk: 24kg x 36; 6 min; 6rpm

LCCJ: 16kg x 60; 6 min; 10rpm Damn this pace is FAST for LCCJ, I have no idea how people can get their RPMs so high with this.

Jerk: 16kg x 90; 6 min; 15rpm I was shooting for 10 min but the pace was WAY to fast. Not bad though, I'm going to shoot for this pace for 8 min next workout.

All of these were switching on the minute, and they always will be unless stated otherwise.

Running: As it turns out you are faster then me Matt, my time last time was way off.

1 mile: 10:21.87 Dissappointed with this time but oh well. Felt faster then last time. And this time I had a finishing kick, instead of falling over ready to pass out, lol. I had more in me, maybe sub 10min next time.

Wait wait wait, your 5'11" 150ish and you can't run a sub 10 mile despite being into KB's? Is there a medical or mechanical issue holding you back? I don't want to be rude man, it's an honest inquiry. PM me if it's a private medical issue or something and I'll drop it :)

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

No medical issue, crappy runner. It definitely didn't feel like it was above 10 mins, but I'd second guess myself before my iPod, haha. Maybe I cal'd the course wrong? I don't know I'll retest it tomorrow, it might be a tad over 1 mile, this isn't an exact science, it's running through the streets of my neighborhood.

EDIT: Another note, I used to be able to run about 8:30 on a semi-exact course in middle school. I was 30-40 lbs lighter and in HORRIBLE shape, this is making me wonder. Back then I also only ran the straight aways and walked the curves, now I'm jogging non stop. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Edited by vikingsrule92

I wouldn't sweat the pace. I also post on runnersworld.com, and it's not unusual to see people with 12 or 13 minute miles and even slower.

Hey People!! Last workout before BBB and I made it count I think :D

Grippers:

Same ole same ole. Couple of mentionables,

TNSed Paul's 132 #2.5.

Got my 138 CCS down to a paper width.

Getting absurdly close to my HG300 at parallel in a choker.

Got pretty close to my 144 in a choker at 5/8" lefty. My LH is getting pretty strong with chokers, I still can't set better then the 134 lefty.

BLOBS!!! It's a shame my camera is dead and I can't find the charger because I had a CRAZY day today!!!

Letters stand for fingers obviously (i.e. M+R = middle + ring fingers) and unless stated otherwise it was done with both hands

Pretty much everything here was a PR soooo I'm only marking the crazy important ones

35 w/ middle finger RH

40 M+R

40 P+R - RH

45+10 - air w/ both

2-15kg +13.5 air w/ both

2-15kg +8.5 air both

2-15kg +13.5 Negs

45 last 3 fingers

45 M+R - LH

45 by the face +2 - air both

45 by face LH

45 by face +2 air both

45 by face air RH, to knees LH

Blob50 x 1 LH PR!!!!!!!!

45 by face +2 x 1 LH PR!!!!!!

Blob50+2 x air both

45 by face +5 x very small air LH

Blob50 +2 x0

2-15kg +8.5 x 1 RH

Rolling Thunder (only weights, the appartus weighs 7 lbs) (all RH, just trying to get a PR)

160 x vvvvs air

158 x vvvs air

156x1 PR

157.5 PR!!

158.5 x vvs air

C&J 2" DB (messing around)(just weights, appartus 9 lbs)(both hands)

70x1

80x1

85 x Clean, no jerk

Screwed around with some one finger lifts, got up to 80lbs, nothing major.

Kettleballs

Jerk 2-16kg x 30; 5 minutes, 6rpm

LCCJ 24kg x 36; 6min, 6rpm

Jerk 24kg x 48; 6min, 8rpm

Farmers Hold

2" DBs 70lbs each 49.85 secs

RUnning: 1 mile 8:59.76 WOW!!! I pushed myself to the limit on this one, I guess I was just taking it to easy on myself last time. VERY happy about this.

Great workout Derek, I knew you could do it (re: 50 Blob)! I think you'll be the lightest on the Blob list, BTW.

Very nice Derek! Not a bad improvement on the mile time either ;) If your not ready to puke at the end, your going too slow :rock

Great workout Derek, I knew you could do it (re: 50 Blob)! I think you'll be the lightest on the Blob list, BTW.

Is there someone younger then me who has done it? I can't remember. Thanks Bob!! I was feeling fairly strong today :tongue

Zach, yeah I told you I had some left in the tank last time ;) I was about ready to fall over at the 3/4 mile mark but I pushed myself and I was a little close to puking at the end :D

Thanks David!!!