Derek's Bending Log

vikingsrule92

coolrunning.com is one of the better sites for finding races. There is a link from the main page to look for races, and you can search by state. It's probably easier for me...I live in a small town in a small county. Everything is in the local paper :D

Haha yeah easy for you. You also live in a cold place so their are events in summer, here no one would be that insane. There are only about 3-4 races in my city per year it looks like. A billion in Phoenix though.

They have snowshoe races around here in the winter :D But that's not my thing. I think there are less people in all of Saratoga county than there are in Tuscon, but I did six races last year, I think, and three of them were close enough I walked or jogged over for a warmup.

They have snowshoe races around here in the winter :D But that's not my thing. I think there are less people in all of Saratoga county than there are in Tuscon, but I did six races last year, I think, and three of them were close enough I walked or jogged over for a warmup.

Yeah but I think we still only have about 5 or so races. We do have quite a few major cycling races but that's not my thing.

I'm betting there are quite a few if you hunt around. Sometimes they're for tiny local charities and aren't really publicized. I forgot to say before, if you can find a website of a local running club, they often have more comprehensive lists of races.

Edit - check out this website: Southern Arizona Road Runners

Edited by The Writer

I'm betting there are quite a few if you hunt around. Sometimes they're for tiny local charities and aren't really publicized. I forgot to say before, if you can find a website of a local running club, they often have more comprehensive lists of races.

Edit - check out this website: Southern Arizona Road Runners

Thanks a lot Matt, I'll definitely look into going to a few of those races.

No problem...I saw a bunch of races listed, but for all I know they're two hours away or something :D There was a website for a club called the Tucson Grinders, but it looked like it hadn't been updated since 2007 :rolleyes

One of the craziest runners I know of lives in AZ...she's a medical examiner (performs autopsies at a morgue) and goes by the screen name "deathrunnr" on runnersworld.com. I can't remember where exactly she lives, though.

I know a few people down here who belong to a very interesting running club. Cant remember the name but they do stuff like run a mile down a beer, run another, down a beer, and so on. Also drinking games on trail runs and the like. Guess thats a good way to work off those extra carbs. Derek is a little too young for that one though.

- Aaron

I think they used to do similar events here in Saratoga...you have to run to a certain number of local bars and down whatever drink they give you, whether it's beer, hard liquor, or whatever. I think that went out of style as being too dangerous. I've heard of the beer mile, where you drink a beer every 1/4 mile...apparently it's tough to keep the beer down unless you move really slow :D There's also the tour de donut, where you down a donut at intervals. I'm not sure how it works, though. I've never heard of anyone eating more than 6, so it must be challenging. Then there's the Marathon du Medoc in France...a real 26.2 mile marathon with a different wine at every mile. You don't have to drink it, of course, but a lot of people do (not a whole glass, I presume). It is a VERY popular marathon.

Yeah Aaron's told me about quite a few crazy drinking and running stories, including a drunken, naked, throwing pentathalon (there was a girl involved just to clarify on Aaron's behalf) :D:laugh

Yeah Aaron's told me about quite a few crazy drinking and running stories, including a drunken, naked, throwing pentathalon (there was a girl involved just to clarify on Aaron's behalf) :D:laugh

hehe, you havent lived until you've tried to throw hammer drunk, neked, and in the dark at the same time! :D:rock

- Aaron

Yesterday's workout:

Grippers: I really need to start writing down the specifics again, here are the highlights:

Got my Elite at 3/32" with a PKS to a hair's width, might have been closed, not really sure.

Other then that a really off gripper day, couldn't even set my 3.5 well.

Thickbar:

A bunch of Negs with the Gracie, really terrible

RT:

R: 154.5x12

L: 142x12

Braced Bending:

5/8" x 27" PR

1/2" x 13.5" to ~45 degrees

1/2" x 19" Square PR

Braced was the only thing I was happy about this workout. Still having some pain from the blisters from last braced workout so everything was done with slight twinges, not a legitimate excuse though, should have been stronger. A 5/8" x 26" will die next workout, the 27" wasn't too hard and I couldn't bend over my right knee. An 18" of 1/2" Square should be easy fresh too, as I was totally blasted by the time I did the 19. Disappointed with the 1/2", couldn't get it to move at all, really thought it would go after the 5/8" confidence boost.

Your RT is really coming up Derek, great work. :rock

For the love of God, lift the Gracie! I know you can do it. You have the 146# model, right? Seriously, I think you'll get it pretty soon, especially if you try it fresh-you've been getting used to the feel of it by doing all the negatives, etc.

Your RT is really coming up Derek, great work. :rock

For the love of God, lift the Gracie! I know you can do it. You have the 146# model, right? Seriously, I think you'll get it pretty soon, especially if you try it fresh-you've been getting used to the feel of it by doing all the negatives, etc.

Thanks Bob.

Yeah it's 146. By now it seems like I should be able to lift it but it still spins like a SOB. I can get air under the inch, this shouldn't be as hard as it is : :angry:

FRIGGIN AMAZING WORKOUT TODAY!!! PINCH!!!

Grippers:

Right:

Elite at 7/64" MMS PR

Elite at 3/32" MMS PR

Elite at 5/64" MMS PR

Elite at flush to 1/16"

Elite at Flush to 1/8" BFN x 5

152 x OC

144 x OC

Left:

T6 at 5/8" PR

T6 at 3/4" PR

T6 at 1" to 1/16" BFN x 3

T6 at 1" to 1/8" BFN x 5

132 x OC

132 x OC

Pinch:

Blob+7 x air each

Blob+5 x air L, lift R

Blob+5 x 1 each PR (My Blob is harder then Aaron's)

47.5+5 x holy crap this is slick and fat, nothing

2HP

152x1

162x1

172x1

177x1 PR Video forthcoming

182 x air

179 x ~4" short of legal, definitely would've gotten it had y thumbs not been shredded

179 x little air

157x 10 sec hold

Blob Endurance: need to get a video of this, did much better then I expected

Blob50 x 20R 15L with some failures with little air in between, only counted lockouts.

Thumbs are BLASTED but I'm very happy with this workout.

3 mile jog today. Not jogged straight, a few walking breaks in between but I probably walked no more then 1/2 mile. Around a pace of 10 min/mile but I didn't time it. Really had to push myself to get the last stretch straight jogged, thought I was going to throw up afterwards and my CNS is still destroyed 2 hours later, GOOD WORKOUT!!! :D

This was terrain for the first time so it destroyed my calves, the first two walking breaks weren't breathing problems, my calves were obliterated running through different dirt and rocks with my Vibrams.

Grippers:

Right:

Elite at Flush to 1/16" BFNx5

Elite (F) to 1/8" BFNx3

T7 to 1/4" BFNx1

Easy GE (3.6-7) to 3/8" BFNx3

Easy GE at 5/8" to 1/8" BFNx3

" "

T6 Penny hold x 14s

145 Penny Hold x 12s

Left:

T6 at 1 1/8" to 1/8" BFN x2

" " Neg

" " Neg

132 CCS to 1/8"

132 x OC

132xmiss

#2 x penny hold 16s

Thickbar:

Gracie Bell Negs: 6 times per hand Was getting great success Lefty, 3-5s each one

A few Gracie attempts interspersed, nothing too great

Rolling Thunder

147 x 15R

132 x 15L

147 x 8R

132 x 7L

Screwed around with OACs with bands on my feet, not too shabby

BRACED BENDING

5/8" x 26" PR!! Friggin easy, only about 5 hits to legal then just destroyed it to about 3"

5/8" x 35" Square PR!!! Friggin HARD!! Using the under the leg move created a double bend as I went into the sweep, springy as hell on the crushdown

1/2" x 14" HRS PR!! Not too bad, needed a bigger kink over the thigh to get it quicker and will need one if I want to go shorter

11" Tree Island spike PR Really easy, about 30s

10.5" Tree Island Spike PR Not too bad, about 1 min.

Vids will be up later of the first 3, youtube seems to be taking forever.

Forgot to say that I opened with:

Squats (ATG, raw)

125x20 Still getting back into the groove with these

Nice braced bends! One day I'll try them again, but they really hurt my shoulder. The last couple of times I had to hip crush on my weaker left side :(

Youtube is being a giant pain in my ass. Went away from my computer for 4 hours, come back and it says the first video is still uploading, I hate that damn sight I swear.

Squats (ATG, raw)

125x20 Still getting back into the groove with these

What the hell is that?

I'm a weakling. Enough said.

Ran a mile today, a bit under 8:30, nothing I'm too happy with but not horrible. Still a bit sore and worn out from yesterday but oh well. Started too fast and had to take a walking break halfway through.

Grip stuff: Fighting off a minor finger injury in my right hand from braced on Sunday so this was mostly DO bending.

Grippers:

My Elite at Flush to paper width :angry:

Pinch:

1HP x 80lbs on Euro at 58mm

DO Bending:

Huge Shiny to 2 1/4" :angry: :angry: DAMMIT!! Went to here crazy fast then froze.

Big Brutal Hex PR!!! Went really fast, under 2 minutes, and it went inside 1 1/2". Unfortunately, as is my luck, I forgot to hit record on my camera :angry: :angry:

Huge Brutal Hex to ~25 degrees. Damn this thing has a brutal kink, didn't help that my biceps were FRIED!!

Red in IM Pads (with bands) PR Really easy, especially for late workout, under 30s. Going to email Randy about the cert.

I'm going to go after the Mag next workout, I've had that whole in my bending wall for WAYYY too damn long!!!!!

Oh and I forgot to add this again, beginning of workout:

ATG RAW Squats: 135x20 Not too bad, a lot left in the tank, 145 goes next workout.

Youtube is being a giant pain in my ass. Went away from my computer for 4 hours, come back and it says the first video is still uploading, I hate that damn sight I swear.

You're not alone. Brings out the savage in me.