Race To 550?

BigJan85

Good progress everyone. Thanks for making me look bad...

I think I'll try for 600 around new year's when my reverse band cycle is done. At this point I think if I can get the bar to my knees I can lock it out.

Alexis to answer your question I haven't done good mornings since last summer while I was running Coan-Phillipi. All my training partners seem to love them but they never worked for me. I don't I ever did more than 315 and it definitely wasn't close to parallel so I would call your performance pretty good. :mosher

What do you mean by that's where you slow down on the deadlift?

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rico300zx

• JohanB

• BigJan85

• timstruse

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'll try for 600 around new year's when my reverse band cycle is done. At this point I think if I can get the bar to my knees I can lock it out.

Alexis to answer your question I haven't done good mornings since last summer while I was running Coan-Phillipi. All my training partners seem to love them but they never worked for me. I don't I ever did more than 315 and it definitely wasn't close to parallel so I would call your performance pretty good. :mosher

ah i guess i was a little unclear with that comment :blush

When the bar is close to my knees on a deadlift, i start slowing down. Then when i pass that point all is fine. The movement around this sticking point works the same muscles than good mornings do..or at least it feels like it. So i kinda figure that good mornings might target my sticking point.

ok boys!!! I pulled 545 but i felt particularly good today.

You're on fire - keep it up. 555 next week? Get it on video and put us all to shame. Nice job

You're on fire - keep it up. 555 next week? Get it on video and put us all to shame. Nice job

lol..no problem miss or fail i'll make a vid next week. :tongue

oups i meant win or fail...damn.

oups i meant win or fail...damn.

Yeahh Alexis I had a feeling I would get on here today and see that you pulled atleast 545. Way to go man!! Thats a helluva pull and I have no doubt that you'll get the win next week. My workouts are looking a lil better but I'm still not anywhere near 550.

As for good mornings, I just started doin then and haven't gone heavier than 225 yet which feels light but I just wanted to make sure my form is good. I do then fairly close to horizontal with my legs slightly bent. I feel like they will def help me with deads the more I get into them.

I'm using Wendler's 5/3/1 program now, so if we're racing to 550 I'm now the tortoise. The program works in 4 week cycles, and I'm in Week 3 of the first cycle, meaning three work sets of 5/3/1 reps. The third set is 1+, meaning do as many as you can. Using the calculations required by the program, I was at 425# for my set of 1+ tonight and hit 7 reps. Obviously, I'm looking forward to a few months from now when I get back into the 475+ range. I'm using the "Big but Boring" auxiliary scheme which calls for 5x10@40% after the work sets, and I did these with 205# for 5x10 on the axle double-overhand, which was not too taxing on the lower back but hit my grip VERY hard. Week 4 is deload, so it'll be 2 weeks before I pull heavy again.

ah i guess i was a little unclear with that comment :blush

When the bar is close to my knees on a deadlift, i start slowing down. Then when i pass that point all is fine. The movement around this sticking point works the same muscles than good mornings do..or at least it feels like it. So i kinda figure that good mornings might target my sticking point.

Gotcha. Sorry school's been running me into the ground lately and my reading comprehension is obviously suffering a bit. :whacked

I bet that would help your deadlift then. An added bonus is that good mornings don't seem to beat you up as bad as heavy deadlifts do.

My knee has been bugging me, so I haven't gotten to pull at all lately, but I managed to pull 500lb today.

My knee has been bugging me, so I haven't gotten to pull at all lately, but I managed to pull 500lb today.

Right on Frank! Excellent pull!

Right on Frank! Excellent pull!

Thanks, Jason!

Congrats on that big 500 deadlift, Frank!

Straps? That dose'nt count, make a new vid

Rico

Rico

Careful what you wish for- at the rate he's been going, next week he'll post video @ 565

Congrats Alexis, now go and start a new thread for race to 600

Rico

haha i knew it! I knew someone would mention that this being the GRIPboard and all...but there's no way i was going back to get my chalk...forget about it...it's winter here. :tongue

woooo hooo we got a winner!! nice pull alexis ya damn beast!! :mosher

so for the rest of us: were still racing each other right? this thread gives me some motivation so i hope so

I still am too, but classes are over wed. So ill be posting soon.

Rico

I haven't pulled on a oly bar for a while now. I'll get back to it in earnest!

I still am too, but classes are over wed. So ill be posting soon.

Rico

I'm ready to go but too, ihavent pulled since the beginning of the summer I bet. Busy with life, I'm looking forward to it. Bring it on!

Rico

woooo hooo we got a winner!! nice pull alexis ya damn beast!! :mosher

so for the rest of us: were still racing each other right? this thread gives me some motivation so i hope so

I´m still in!

Did som light squats yesterday, 8 reps with 200kg, no belt. That was my last squat session in about 6 weeks or so, the main focus now is on a massive pull.