Race To 550?

BigJan85

I think I'll pull today, so I'm gonna go for 510 and see what happens.

Congrats on that big 500 deadlift, Frank!

Thanks, Eric!

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rico300zx

• JohanB

• BigJan85

• timstruse

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'll pull today, so I'm gonna go for 510 and see what happens.

Hey Frank, glad to see you're stepping into the race. How'd you fare with the 510?

Tonight I did 1x9@405, then 5x10@245. This is the 5/3/1 program, we'll see how it works.

I was feeling weak as a kitten on Tuesday, so I only pulled up to 434 and dropped to 404 for 5 singles and called it quits.

I was feeling good today though, so I gave it another shot and managed to pull 506.

I was feeling good today though, so I gave it another shot and managed to pull 506.

Nice! Are you following any specific program?

Nice! Are you following any specific program?

I was following a program, which added about 20lb to my dead total, but it's hard for me to gauge exactly how well it worked, because I messed my knee up in the middle of the routine, which screwed a lot of my pulling up, so I don't know if I wouldn't have made better gains if I was pulling @ 100%.

Right now I'm pretty much just winging it. Though, I've always seemed to make the best gains that way. Seems like doing a routine for a certain amount of weeks builds a base, and then I make faster PRs by going by feel, then that plateaus and I go back on a routine, and so on.

Deadlifts this night. Will deadlift in a old inzer hardcore squat suit. I have never used a suit for the deadlift before but I have an important strongman competition coming up and everybody else will use all the equipment they can and I´ll be at an disadvantage if I don´t. I´ll report back later.

To all of you in this race; Dip, grip and rip!! You´re all awesome and hugely inspiring!

• 2 weeks later...

Deadlifts last night. After warmups I Pulled 260*3, 270*1 and 285*1. I´ve lost about 5kg of bodyweight in ashort period of time and my stamina has taken a beating so I´m worse at doing reps then usual ;)

The deadlifts were followed by some zercher squats with an apollon axle, 170kg*2,1,1. I hade more reps in me but the apollon would not sit still in my arms last night and threatened to roll out. These were done to below parallell and without a belt. I then put my belt on, loaded 220kg on the axle lifted it out and just held it in the zercher position för 30 seconds. Training for conans circle.

This was followed by some boring assistance work, mainly hamstrings, lats and core.

Edited by JohanB

Nice pulling Johanb, that is a good power to weight ratio there. Is your comp soon? Don't max out too much while losing bodyweight if your comp is soon. A little rest and you will pull big at the comp.

I did 550 in comp this summer, but I was weighing 230ish and you are pulling more at lighter BW, good work.

I've started over while rehabbing my arm, so I guess I'm in the race again.

Brent.

Nice pulling Johanb, that is a good power to weight ratio there. Is your comp soon? Don't max out too much while losing bodyweight if your comp is soon. A little rest and you will pull big at the comp.

I did 550 in comp this summer, but I was weighing 230ish and you are pulling more at lighter BW, good work.

I've started over while rehabbing my arm, so I guess I'm in the race again.

Brent.

I´ll compete the 30th of january and don´t worry, I´ll weigh in at exactly 105kg, the maximum allowed weight. First event will be reps with 260 in the deadlift. I´m aiming for 5 reps. We shall see how it turnes out. I´ll keep ya´ll posted.

Did a short strongman-session to night. Only did two events and kept things easy.

Tyre flip: a 375kg tyre (roughly 830lbs) for sig singles. Was really easy. I just did singles as I did not want to push all that hard today.

I followed this up with some farmers walk with really light weights.

70kg*10m, 10m

90kg*10m, 10m, 10m

110kg*10m, 10m

We did these events indoors and 10 meters was the maximum distance I could take these bags for a ride.

Nice. Farmers and tires (tyres) are my favourite events. A hard session with a big tire can leave you looking like you just took on Mike Tyson. Great feeling. Good luck with the competition!

I´ll compete the 30th of january and don´t worry, I´ll weigh in at exactly 105kg, the maximum allowed weight. First event will be reps with 260 in the deadlift. I´m aiming for 5 reps. We shall see how it turnes out. I´ll keep ya´ll posted.

5x260kg is very impressive. Do you think you'll win? If not, how many do you think the winner will hit?

5x260kg is very impressive. Do you think you'll win? If not, how many do you think the winner will hit?

I will not win. This is the finals in swedens strongest man and some of the guys will beat me I´m sure. But I´ll sure give them a run for their money.

1x10 @ 405 tonight. I'd really appreciate any advice you all may have about my form.

http://www.youtube.com/tms1542#p/u/4/V2UZyP_U48Q

Hey Tim, good strength there. Just as you start pulling on each rep, note how your body pitches forward, shifting weight to the front of your foot. You then end the movement by rocking back on your heels. Concentrate on keeping the weight focused toward your heels, start with the bar basically touching your shins and initiate the movement by leaning back and then driving your feet through the floor. Every inch that the bar travels forward away from your center of gravity adds pounds to the pull and you waste effort trying to pull it back. It also puts stress on your lower back, not where you want it! As the bar passes your knees, concentrate on physically shooting your hips forward which "levers" the bar up and makes it less of a pull for your back.

Starting as low as possible is good for people with short reach to the bar, but there are lots of big pullers who start off with pretty high hips, legs bent just enough to reach the bar and a good static arch in the lower back.

Note also how on some reps, you start with your hips down, but then as you start pulling, your hips come up first, then the bar. Why not put the hips up where you start pulling, and eliminate the useless up/down movement of your hips at the start?

Maybe Rex will chime in on this, he is a great puller and this topic was brought up on another lifting board he frequents.

Brent.

Good work Johan, you are really on a roll!

Yes I am and thank god for that! I wouldn´t like to go into a competition when I´m not at my peak. I do miss my squats though :( I´ve put them on the side and just focus on the deadlift instead.

Next week I´ll do my last heavy training before the comp. The week after that I´ll probably do just two very light sessions so my strength will peak on competition day.

Nice pulls everyone and good luck at the contest Johan.

PS I'm still alive I'm just having problems working my lifting around school, leg rehab, and practicum. I'll be lifting again soon though.

I still am too, but classes are over wed. So ill be posting soon.

Rico

I'm ready to go but too, ihavent pulled since the beginning of the summer I bet. Busy with life, I'm looking forward to it. Bring it on!

Rico

I've been doing a 5x5 program since before Christmass. I programmed the end to be 550. Hopefully it will help me get past prior sticking points. Does anyone have exp. With a 5x5 for deads? Any tips?

Rico

Rico

I'm ready to go but too, ihavent pulled since the beginning of the summer I bet. Busy with life, I'm looking forward to it. Bring it on!

Rico

I've been doing a 5x5 program since before Christmass. I programmed the end to be 550. Hopefully it will help me get past prior sticking points. Does anyone have exp. With a 5x5 for deads? Any tips?

Rico

I've tried it and initially underestimated the volume. I could only sustain 5x5 at weights of about 60-70% 1RM. Hope it goes well for you, please do post your progress.

Rico

Rico

Rico

I've tried it and initially underestimated the volume. I could only sustain 5x5 at weights of about 60-70% 1RM. Hope it goes well for you, please do post your progress.

I will, the weight is still light right now. And it is set up for over 20 workouts I think, how much warming up though once it gets heavy?

Rico

It makes a big difference if you reset for each rep. Far more taxing than touch-n-go reps. 5x5 is alot of volume for deads also, especially if you are going heavy. I wish I had the discipline to stick to a real program, but I think my lack of attention span makes that impossible. I generally go by how I feel on that particular day. Feeling strong? sets of 10, 8, 5, 3 and then max singles to failure. I'm gonna need more discipline to hit 600 methinks.

BC you may be in the wrong thread! 600! What was your best raw (sweats and t shirt) in the last 6months ?

Rico

Edit: I'm touch and go for now, but I like to regrip when I do DO I think it builds some stealth! Hands must be ready for whatever they can grab, if they are ever needed in real life protection or self defense.

Edited by rico300zx