Race To 550?

BigJan85

Well I actually Dont know where I'm at, I'm doin a 5x5 now and I haven't gone above 405 yet, and 550 isint for like 15 or more workouts so who knows. But the 500 felt really light though.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rico300zx

• JohanB

• BigJan85

• timstruse

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I actually Dont know where I'm at, I'm doin a 5x5 now and I haven't gone above 405 yet, and 550 isint for like 15 or more workouts so who knows. But the 500 felt really light though.

That 500 was light for you. I'm thinking your good for atleast 525. next time we will try a regular DL max instead of the DO max like i chose to do.

Thanks Mike. I'm still not pulling as hard out of the hole as I should. I'll try a D.O. max next workout.

Brent.

I didnt try 550 last wednesday as I intended to do. The week turned into a deload week because I was feeling very sluggish on monday and felt like I might have been overtrained. I went the gym straight after class tonight for some deads and 500 felt sooo light so I put 550 on but could only get it up to the knees. I didnt have my belt because I didnt plan on hitting a max tonight. Maybe next week with a belt I can hit it. After I hit 550 Im taking a nice break from heavy deads and working on perfecting my form before I head for 600

Go for it Jan. I deadlift on Fridays, and I feel good enough to go for it any time in the next few weeks. It won't be tomorrow as I'll be training with a strongman group doing event training.

Here we go again.

Deadlifts last night but before I tell you more about that.. I came in second in Swedens Strongest man -105kg january this year. One of the events were deadlifts. Since one could use whatever equipment one wanted in the deadlift, I focused on wearing a bealt and a deadlift suit for a long time before the comp.

This resulted in a loss of overall abdominal strength and my raw deadlift fell a bit. My main focus right now is building up to my previous best (300kg, absolutely no equipment at all) and then go from there with the aim of hitting 310kg in training this summer and atleast 317,5kg in a competition. I´m always good for another 10kg or so when I compete so it should not be a problem.

Anyhow, deadlifts last night, 100% raw. Worked my way up to 280kg (~620lbs) and stopped there. I probably had another 5 or 10kg more in me but my form was breaking down due to weak abs. I then proceeded with front squats, did 170kg*1 raw. That´s a good number for me but I´m aiming for 200kg raw here.

I´ll be pulling raw every week for a while now and I´ll do my best to keep ya´ll updated (an added bonus is that I can work on my english writing skills :blush ).

Huge lifts Johan! Make sure you take a video of 300kg, it would be nice to see that.

Brent.

Huge lifts Johan! Make sure you take a video of 300kg, it would be nice to see that.

Brent.

Actually, I´ve got a video when I pulled 300kg for the first and only time in my life.

Could upload that on youtube if anyone want to see my hairy legs :tongue

Edit:

had to create a youtube account.

Edited by JohanB

That was huge. Great style to the pull, looks like you were deadlifting often enough to have a really good groove. I like the close stance.

I guess I'm kinda late for this, but my new deadlift goal is 250kg (551 lbs), so I might start posting here if anybody is left! My recent progress:

Jan 15th: 180kg (396lb)

Feb 22nd: 202.5kg (446lb)

Mar 4th: 220kg (485lb)

Hopefully my rapid gains will continue and soon I'll be over 500lbs and well on my way... I see I have a lot of catching up to do! :yikes

Your not to late I'm still in I just haven't been maxing out lately but I'm still here.

Rico

Me too! Currently at 505, and pulling tonight. No max tonight, probly gonna do 460 3x3.

Get at it!

Guest Bullitt

You guys mind if I jump in late on this? Pulled 470 for 4 singles the other day. Well actually pulled it all the way up DO 3 times, but my grip slipped all three times at the top before I could get my hips through. So I pulled it a 4th time (this time to lockout) with a hook grip. Not sure exactly where my max is, as this is all the iron I have. I know I'm behind all you guys, but these little contests seem to motivate me. Will be picking up some more plates at Play it Again next week.

Here's the pull:

You guys mind if I jump in late on this? Pulled 470 for 4 singles the other day. Well actually pulled it all the way up DO 3 times, but my grip slipped all three times at the top before I could get my hips through. So I pulled it a 4th time (this time to lockout) with a hook grip. Not sure exactly where my max is, as this is all the iron I have. I know I'm behind all you guys, but these little contests seem to motivate me. Will be picking up some more plates at Play it Again next week.

Here's the pull:

Mike, congratulations on the 470! 500 is very near. Glad to have you in the race to 550. I'm still in the race, just haven't posted lately.

Great pull Mike, especially after all the D.O. work you did. Way to stick with it and fight through the seizure you were having! That is the point where lots of people give up.

Guest Bullitt

Thanks Tim & Brent!

Seisure. :laugh Yea, my cns was firing like crazy. The first couple DO pulls came up smooth and quick. This one was quite the battle. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you don't mind if I jump in I pulled 510 at a Son Light power competition in November which was a Michigan state record for 50-54 year old 275 pound weight class, March 13 in comp I tried 515 and got it to just below my knees. Hoping that maybe this topic will help me improve. Just started doing the 5-3-1 routine and will post deadlift workout on Saturday.

Edited by raymo

I hope you don't mind if I jump in I pulled 510 at a Son Light power competition in November which was a Michigan state record for 50-54 year old 275 pound weight class, March 13 in comp I tried 515 and got it to just below my knees. Hoping that maybe this topic will help me improve. Just started doing the 5-3-1 routine and will post deadlift workout on Saturday.

Welcome! I'll be interested to hear your progress on 5-3-1 - I've been following that program diligently for about 6 months now. Good luck with your training.

Welcome! I'll be interested to hear your progress on 5-3-1 - I've been following that program diligently for about 6 months now. Good luck with your training.

So how has it been going for you, well maybe it is going good since you are still doing it for 6 months.

Guest Bullitt

Thanks Raymo! I need to figure out what I'm going to add to get to 500 lbs. HAHA No job = no $ for new plates. :cry

Thanks Ben! Yea, I was really pumped. 500 is within reach. This was hard, but it didn't feel like my absolute max. Couple more weeks of squatting and I want to try to pull 500# if I can figure out a way to get the weight on there. :erm:laugh

My favorite part is when I realize that I'm about to pass out right before I count the plates. "Whoo, May check out here." :help That would have been classic. Take a header holding the camera. :laugh

at home, i sometimes add my winter tires (or summer tires depending on the season) to the bar to add weight...they weigh about 40lbs each.