Race To 550?

BigJan85

Dumbells duct-taped on... That is truly innovation at it's finest Mike. Great lift, and I agree that it didn't look like your max. 500 aint far off! That is some good gription there with the D.O. pull.

Brent.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rico300zx

• JohanB

• BigJan85

• timstruse

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bullitt

Dumbells duct-taped on... That is truly innovation at it's finest Mike. Great lift, and I agree that it didn't look like your max. 500 aint far off! That is some good gription there with the D.O. pull.

Brent.

Thanks Brent! I actually hook gripped this one. Didn't want the grip to cost me the lift. I'm right at 470-475 DO right now. I think I have 500 in me very soon. Then the march to 550 before the end of the year starts!

Mike: Looking very strong! Congrats on the huge pull, buddy. You've earned the right to splurge and buy yourself a nice bar and some 100's. Tell your wife it's either buy the new equipment or she's going to have to start sitting on your shoulders while you deadlift.

Guest Bullitt

Mike: Looking very strong! Congrats on the huge pull, buddy. You've earned the right to splurge and buy yourself a nice bar and some 100's. Tell your wife it's either buy the new equipment or she's going to have to start sitting on your shoulders while you deadlift.

Thanks Tim! As soon as i get a job!

Hope everyone's deadlifting is going well. Tonight I pulled 1x9 @ 425, with first 6 reps DO and last 3 mixed grip. Last month I did 1x7 @ 435, so I consider tonight a decent improvement. These "open sets" on the 5/3/1 program definitely make for a short and intense workout. Finished with some heavy one arm dumbbell rows (Croc style) on my new 2.5" FBBC dumbbell - love it.

Nice pulling Tim, I've wanted to try 5/3/1 for a while, but I'm just basically too disorganized/ ADD prone to follow any set program. I'm pulling Friday night, I might go for 550 if things feel good.

Brent.

Nice pulling Tim, I've wanted to try 5/3/1 for a while, but I'm just basically too disorganized/ ADD prone to follow any set program. I'm pulling Friday night, I might go for 550 if things feel good.

Brent.

Good luck! I hope you get it.

Guest Bullitt

Brent.

DO IT! :mosher

Hope everyone's deadlifting is going well. Tonight I pulled 1x9 @ 425, with first 6 reps DO and last 3 mixed grip. Last month I did 1x7 @ 435, so I consider tonight a decent improvement. These "open sets" on the 5/3/1 program definitely make for a short and intense workout. Finished with some heavy one arm dumbbell rows (Croc style) on my new 2.5" FBBC dumbbell - love it.

425 for 9 reps is a very solid lift. You've gotta be gettin close to the 550 now.

After failing at 550 a couple times in a row I started 5X5 to lighten up the weights but get some good intensity in. I pulled 435 for all 5 sets last night and it was actually fairly tough. My goal is 455 for 5X5 then I will drop reps and try for 550.

Edited by BigJan85

425 for 9 reps is a very solid lift. You've gotta be gettin close to the 550 now.

Plugging 425x9 into a 1RM calculator (for whatever those are worth), it gave me 547. I think those calculators lose relevance the higher the reps go. For example, the 1RM calculation for Aaron's squat set of 225x34 was 2700. I'm going to wait until the end of my next cycle (in about 6 weeks) to try 550.

5x5 with 435 is a HUGE workout! I'd be feeling that for about 3 weeks.

Guest Bullitt

Pulled 425X6 today. Should have gone DO until it failed and then switched to hook. Went hook the whole way and it felt like my thumbnails were going to pull out. :laugh Pretty sure 500 goes down next week when I max again.

Pulled 425X6 today. Should have gone DO until it failed and then switched to hook. Went hook the whole way and it felt like my thumbnails were going to pull out. :laugh Pretty sure 500 goes down next week when I max again.

Nice! I'm waiting to see what gets taped to the bar this time.

Pulled 425X6 today. Should have gone DO until it failed and then switched to hook. Went hook the whole way and it felt like my thumbnails were going to pull out. laughing.gif Pretty sure 500 goes down next week when I max again.

laugh.giflaugh.gif

Remember, Mike, Joy is NOT calibrated!

Guest Bullitt

Pulled 425X6 today. Should have gone DO until it failed and then switched to hook. Went hook the whole way and it felt like my thumbnails were going to pull out. laughing.gif Pretty sure 500 goes down next week when I max again.

laugh.giflaugh.gif

Remember, Mike, Joy is NOT calibrated!

Damn! Now I have to figure something else out! HAHAHA

My lower back is killing me.

The 1st of march I pulled 280kg without a suit or belt and it wasn´t all that hard. Since then my lower back has been pulling a number on me and I feel like I´m 80 years old. The lower back problems is a combination of things such as working as a bouncer every weekend since the 280kg pull, a lousy bed to sleep in and a slight over extertion in training.

To top it all of I have had a lousy cold for the last 3 days. Yeah.. you should all feel sorry for me :D

As soon the cold goes away, I´m going to a massage therapist and that will probably take care of most of my problems.

The funny thing is that I can still front-squat and lift stones (round back lifting) with no problems. I also did a easy 123kg lift in the apollons axle, from the floor, last wednesday with no pain at all. Strange indeed.

Anyhow, to quote a somewhat famous dude, Ill be back ;)

Nice pulling everyone. :mosher

Keep it up I need all the motivation I can get. lol.

I managed to finally get back in the gym last week and pulled 530 for a couple singles. I guess that means I'm finally starting to get healthy again which is nice.

Nice pulling everyone. :mosher

Keep it up I need all the motivation I can get. lol.

I managed to finally get back in the gym last week and pulled 530 for a couple singles. I guess that means I'm finally starting to get healthy again which is nice.

Nice pulling, Scott!

I just hit 538, now off to go finish with some lockouts. 550 dies next month!

Nice job fellas.....quite a few guys are getting close to the goal. I did my 5X5 tonight and hit 435 for the first 4 sets and then went to 455 on the last set...next week gonna try 455 for the last 3 sets and then week after that for the whole 5 sets...so im lookin at a max in about 3 weeks and hope to crush the 550.

Edited by BigJan85

So I was feeling a lil ambitious tonight and decided to go for the 5X5 with 455 a week sooner than I had planned and I got through all 5 sets. The last couple were absolutely brutal. Ill admit that I was a lil scared stepping up to the bar for the last set. Not scared of failing but scared of the pain that was about to come. Of course after it was done the pain went away and I was super happy with it. Next week is a very light week then the week after I will max.

So I was feeling a lil ambitious tonight and decided to go for the 5X5 with 455 a week sooner than I had planned and I got through all 5 sets. The last couple were absolutely brutal. Ill admit that I was a lil scared stepping up to the bar for the last set. Not scared of failing but scared of the pain that was about to come. Of course after it was done the pain went away and I was super happy with it. Next week is a very light week then the week after I will max.

Huge workout! Sounds like you'll smoke 550 easily. Lots of food and sleep, let that body recover. It'd take me 3 weeks to bounce back from a workout like that.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bullitt

Not a deadlift, but pulled 310 lb per hand from the floor on Jedd Johnson's farmer's handles Saturday. First time ever lifting 600+ on anything. Mucho fun! :D

Edited by Bullitt

Awsome job mike!!!! Ill be back to. Pullin right after your CGC. If I have any grip left by then that is.

Rico

Nice work, Mike. :)