Goody, Hammy, Bullitt Bench Press Race

Guest Bullitt

RCs were painful from the get go today. Even a warmup of variation rotations with bands actually made it feel worse. However, close grip benching doesn't aggrevate it too much so i got on with it and hit some PRs.

today's session (max effort benching, rep work)

CLOSE GRIP BENCH - index on smooth

barx10

132lbsx5

220lbsx5

264lbsx1

286lbsx5 (PR)

297lbsx3 (PR)

303lbsx2 (no spotter so didn't want to risk a 3rd)

264lbsx7 (equalling the PR i did last week)

220lbsx13 (slightly wider grip here, both hands just on the knurl)

REVERSE GRIP BENCH (palms facing)

worked up to 220lbs for a few sets of 3, and a very easy singles with 264lbs. Not done this for a while so taking it easy. Good for 300lbs in this exercise i think.

Assistance work today was axle bent over rows (up to 250lbs for 2 sets of 6), thick bar lat pulldowns, axle cleans (for upper back) and chins (several sets of 3 reps at 290lbs+ bodyweight). I feel i need more upper back and traps work to kick my bench up to where it should be hence all this volume.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hamil1km

• acorn

• CoC#3

• RPGoodfellow

Guest Bullitt
RCs were painful from the get go today. Even a warmup of variation rotations with bands actually made it feel worse. However, close grip benching doesn't aggrevate it too much so i got on with it and hit some PRs.

barx10

132lbsx5

220lbsx5

264lbsx1

286lbsx5 (PR)

297lbsx3 (PR)

worked up to 220lbs for a few sets of 3, and a very easy singles with 264lbs. Not done this for a while so taking it easy. Good for 300lbs in this exercise i think.

Assistance work today was axle bent over rows (up to 250lbs for 2 sets of 6), thick bar lat pulldowns, axle cleans (for upper back) and chins (several sets of 3 reps at 290lbs+ bodyweight). I feel i need more upper back and traps work to kick my bench up to where it should be hence all this volume.

Awesome work Sam!!! I have messed up RCs from several shoulder dislocations playing hockey back in the day. I'm definitely not an expert, but I find that the more I tuck my elbows, the less strain I feel on the shoulders. If they start to flair out a lot more than 45 degrees, I really feel it in my shoulders. Great job on the back work too. I think the heavier work on my upper back has really helped improve my very weak bench. 250lb on axle rows is crazy bro! :rock And knowing how hard chins are for me at 250, I have mad respect for you doing them at 290.

Also, thanks for the conversion to lbs. This is one yank who never did figure out the metric system. :laugh

Edited by Bullitt

barx10

132lbsx5

220lbsx5

264lbsx1

286lbsx5 (PR)

297lbsx3 (PR)

Nice work Sam. Those reverse grippers are fun!

Thanks Mike!

I injured mine push pressing 286lbs for reps last year. I slipped out of my groove and heard a pop in the right RC. No tear (i had an ultrasound scan to rule it out) but the major issue these days is the left one because i try to compensate if you know what i mean. Rehab stuff has helped (band rotations and RC exercises with DBs) but there is still an issue and it stops me from benching wide. The good news is my triceps have got massive from all the close grip work - my arms are well over 20'' these days! Do the RC issues affect your bench? I bench with my elbows tucked completely in anyway - i might try some wider bench like this next week. Bodybuilder style with elbows flared, no chance!!!

On the axle rows i have been heavier in the past - i have done 286lbs for a few before. On normal oly bar rows with straps and not completely strict form i have done 400 for 6 reps.

With chins i did 4 reps palms away (all to a dead hang) then another rep after resetting and straight away 2 reps palms facing at 280lbs.

Reverse grip bench was my tricep assistance for the day. 300lbs is the goal here, i think i'll get that soon. No probs on the conversion for me you can give me a weight and i can convert it in my head to pounds straight away and vice versa !!

Edited by CoC#3

Guest Bullitt
Thanks Mike!

I injured mine push pressing 286lbs for reps last year. I slipped out of my groove and heard a pop in the right RC. No tear (i had an ultrasound scan to rule it out) but the major issue these days is the left one because i try to compensate if you know what i mean. Rehab stuff has helped (band rotations and RC exercises with DBs) but there is still an issue and it stops me from benching wide. The good news is my triceps have got massive from all the close grip work - my arms are well over 20'' these days! Do the RC issues affect your bench? I bench with my elbows tucked completely in anyway - i might try some wider bench like this next week. Bodybuilder style with elbows flared, no chance!!!

On the axle rows i have been heavier in the past - i have done 286lbs for a few before. On normal oly bar rows with straps and not completely strict form i have done 400 for 6 reps.

With chins i did 4 reps palms away (all to a dead hang) then another rep after resetting and straight away 2 reps palms facing at 280lbs.

Reverse grip bench was my tricep assistance for the day. 300lbs is the goal here, i think i'll get that soon. No probs on the conversion for me you can give me a weight and i can convert it in my head to pounds straight away and vice versa !!

Good stuff bro. I wouldn't say the RCs affect my bench as much as they are always in the back of my mind and if i get out of the groove they hurt like crap.

Yep - agreed, but with you doing paused benching getting out of the groove is less of a problem!

Guest Bullitt

Pressing portion of workout today. Week 4, Thursday singles workout. All reps paused and explosive press:

Bench Press:

warmup:

barx20

135x8

155X1

185X1

205X1

225X1

work sets:

260X1 (this was not easy - did not get a good leg drive)

225X4 (much better leg drive on all 4 reps)

Incline press (paused):

185X6X6X6X6

Next week is active rest.

Never managed to get much leg drive going on my bench presses. My benching at the moment is more of a 'move my feet about randomly' and hope for the best sort of thing. I try to arch and just end up a mess snaking about on the bench. Good session today, shame about 260 being hard but you're probably still feeling the effects of your last workout.

Since I can't seem to feel fresh the past month and half decided to scale back workouts for next week and half. Here's the bench portion. Not much too it although I hit a 3 or 4 rep PR on 225 reps!

Bench

10x135lbs

24x225lbs PR

Guest Bullitt
Since I can't seem to feel fresh the past month and half decided to scale back workouts for next week and half. Here's the bench portion. Not much too it although I hit a 3 or 4 rep PR on 225 reps!

Bench

10x135lbs

24x225lbs PR

Yea, that's just stupid. :D Nice scale back. HAHAHA

Rest up bro, cause I see 400 the week you get back from your deload week. 24 reps is sick!!! :rock:rock

Bench

10x135lbs

24x225lbs PR

Yea, that's just stupid. :D Nice scale back. HAHAHA

Rest up bro, cause I see 400 the week you get back from your deload week. 24 reps is sick!!! :rock:rock

Thanks fellas. Kinda suprised myself based on how i've been feeling. I'll take it!

Since I can't seem to feel fresh the past month

Can't... hold... back... must keep.... comments to... self....

24x225lbs PR

Nice binch!

Since I can't seem to feel fresh the past month

Can't... hold... back... must keep.... comments to... self....

24x225lbs PR

Nice binch!

LOL! :rock

Man Hammy getting close to my HS best there. I got 27 with 225 my junior year around the time I benched 405 for the first time.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

Worked out today instead of tomorrow due to time constraints this weekend. Ended up being good session

Bench

5x135

3x185 explosive

3x225 explosive

2x275 explosive

3 rack to lockout partial reps @ 385

4x315 PR Had Spotter which is unusual

SCT SRP Bench

12sec @ 495#

Seated Barbell MP

10x145

Lying Tricep Press

10x155

Standing plate curls

6x35# plate RH, 5x35# Plate LH

Reverse Wrist curl

10x105#

15sec Hold @ 105#

Incline Situps

12x 35# plate on chest

DB side bends

10x150#

Had decent gripper and pinch session after as well. Will put up some pinch videos later but managed to get 104.6# RH with the weight added to the 2 20k plates

- Aaron

Worked out today instead of tomorrow due to time constraints this weekend. Ended up being good session

Bench

5x135

3x185 explosive

3x225 explosive

2x275 explosive

3 rack to lockout partial reps @ 385

4x315 PR Had Spotter which is unusual

SCT SRP Bench

12sec @ 495#

Seated Barbell MP

10x145

Lying Tricep Press

10x155

Standing plate curls

6x35# plate RH, 5x35# Plate LH

Reverse Wrist curl

10x105#

15sec Hold @ 105#

Incline Situps

12x 35# plate on chest

DB side bends

10x150#

Had decent gripper and pinch session after as well. Will put up some pinch videos later but managed to get 104.6# RH with the weight added to the 2 20k plates

- Aaron

Nice work aaron!

The time on the SCT holds is really getting up there. 12 seconds at 495 is awesome bro! :rock

Thanks guys :D

12 sec was the goal, weight goes up next time I do them.

- Aaron

I looked up SCT bench training on google and all i could find was that it stands for Static Concentration training. What exactly does that involve and how do you do it? I recently found a good gym to join and since i'll be training alone i want to find some more methods to increase my pitiful bench :)

Great lifting by all you guys btw :)

Edited by Kormaz

I looked up SCT bench training on google and all i could find was that it stands for Static Concentration training. What exactly does that involve and how do you do it? I recently found a good gym to join and since i'll be training alone i want to find some more methods to increase my pitiful bench :)

Great lifting by all you guys btw :)

SCT stands for Static Contraction Training

I have the book, Static Contraction Training by Pete Sisco. It goes into detail on the methods. Here is the authors website as well http://www.precisiontraining.com/articles.html Most of the site reads like an infomercial but then again many training related ones do these days regardless of content. Basic idea is doing Isometric type holds on exercises where you can get the most intensity for the muscle groups. typically compound movements and the hold is in the strongest range. For example on bench its 2-4" from lockout. The holds are at maximum intensity and motor unit recruitement just long enough to facilitate adaptation. weights are typically in the range of 150% of your max for that exercise. Lots of rest is a part of the plan as well. I'm not doing the full program just using some of the ideas in my bench training.

- Aaron

Thanks! How much has SCT helped you to increase your bench? I'm just researching a few different training ideas because as i said, my bench sucks compared with my deadlift for example :(

Today's bench workout

close grip bench

132x5

176x5

220x3

242x3

264x8 (1 rep PR. may have had another in there but no spotter and didn't fancy getting stuck)

275x4 (these were explosive reps, first 3 were very easy)

220x2x5 (paused)

Assistance work today was DB seated shoulder press and band tricep pushdowns. Finished off with some very light band RC stuff.

Guest Bullitt
Today's bench workout

close grip bench

132x5

176x5

220x3

242x3

264x8 (1 rep PR. may have had another in there but no spotter and didn't fancy getting stuck)

275x4 (these were explosive reps, first 3 were very easy)

220x2x5 (paused)

Assistance work today was DB seated shoulder press and band tricep pushdowns. Finished off with some very light band RC stuff.

STRONG STUFF SAM! Nice PR! :rock