Goody, Hammy, Bullitt Bench Press Race

Guest Bullitt

Guest Bullitt
Is it a 300x1 next workout then? or is there one more session first?

300X1 is Thursday or Friday. I was well rested but I think moving furniture for two days straight over the weekend may have sapped me a bit. My left shoulder is pretty sore today too for some reason. We'll see. I think that rested I am very close to 300. It isn't like I'm getting buried by the weight. I'm getting it to the same dang spot and needing some help for about an inch then it goes rest of way.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hamil1km

• acorn

• CoC#3

• RPGoodfellow

$15 check mailed today for my half of the gripper. Conratulations Hammy. 400 is huge buddy!

thanks pal! Money will go to support this wonderful addiction HAHHAHHAHA

Goin for 300 tonight.

Smash it Mike :rock

Going work now looking forward to seeing that you've hit 300 in the morning!

Guest Bullitt
Goin for 300 tonight.

Smash it Mike :rock

Going work now looking forward to seeing that you've hit 300 in the morning!

Nope. :cry Same dang sticking point. :angry:

I think I'm just fried from moving still. Gonna take a week off, rest up and come back at it fresh. Still happy with the program. I was stuck at 265 - 275 for 4 months. This got me to around 295 in 2 months.

Took my aggression out elsewhere. After bench pulled 275 around 2" on my new FBBC vbar and then pulled a new PR in the deadlift. Not much for you guys, but I did all the weight I now have: 380lbs. That is a huge jump up for a guy who has always had a bad back and had two back surgeries 2 years ago. My previous best was 310 for a double. Did it DO too which was nice.

I will bench 300... or die trying. :rock

You'll get it Mike. Hammy failed 400 a few days before it went up ;) Welldone with the deadlift PR 380 DO is a good lift.

Bench this morning after work.

close grip bench

132x10

176x5

220x3

264x2

286x2

308x4x2 (4 sets of 2)

308x2x1 (both singles paused on the chest for 2 seconds)

264x2 ultra close grip 3 fingers on the smooth, Paused.

Assistance work was DB rows, inverted rows and face pulls.

You'll get it Mike. Hammy failed 400 a few days before it went up ;) Welldone with the deadlift PR 380 DO is a good lift.

close grip bench

132x10

176x5

220x3

264x2

286x2

308x4x2 (4 sets of 2)

Strong work Sam!

Guest Bullitt

close grip bench

132x10

176x5

220x3

264x2

286x2

308x4x2 (4 sets of 2)

Thanks Sam. I won't give up. Nice pressing. Especially the paused reps. :rock

You'll get it next time. Not sure if your doing it already but try to rip that bar in two as you press.

Since you recognize this as your "sticking point" it may be somewhat mental. Forget about it and know that you put in the work and that you own 3 bills and next time throw it through the roof.

Good work sticking to your program. Glad to see it worked for you.

Guest Bullitt
You'll get it next time. Not sure if your doing it already but try to rip that bar in two as you press.

Since you recognize this as your "sticking point" it may be somewhat mental. Forget about it and know that you put in the work and that you own 3 bills and next time throw it through the roof.

Good work sticking to your program. Glad to see it worked for you.

Thanks bro. I will get it. I really do think it's half mental.

You'll get it next time Mike.

Just explode into the first couple of inches away from the chest.

Guest Bullitt

Ok, so we've now established that I was either just plain worn out from moving or I it's a mental block for me at 300. I took a run at 225 for reps this morning and got 12. All the one rep calculators say that's 310 - 324. I was way more rested and concentrated on ripping the bar apart. Will give 300 another go later this week.

This was a 2 rep PR so I'm very happy with the progress i made with the Sorin plan. 20% gain in 8 weeks is more than I ever expected.

Ok, so we've now established that I was either just plain worn out from moving or I it's a mental block for me at 300. I took a run at 225 for reps this morning and got 12. All the one rep calculators say that's 310 - 324. I was way more rested and concentrated on ripping the bar apart. Will give 300 another go later this week.

This was a 2 rep PR so I'm very happy with the progress i made with the Sorin plan. 20% gain in 8 weeks is more than I ever expected.

Not trying to discourage you, but I find that beyond 5 reps, rep calculators are useless. According to the calculator, I should be benching 541 given my 225 for reps max. You'd think that someone would have come up with a more sophisticated calculator by now.

-Rex

Guest Bullitt

Not trying to discourage you, but I find that beyond 5 reps, rep calculators are useless. According to the calculator, I should be benching 541 given my 225 for reps max. You'd think that someone would have come up with a more sophisticated calculator by now.

-Rex

I agree that the higher the reps, the less reliable these things are. However, if I am doing 225X12, there is no reason I shouldn't be doing 300.

What calculator you using big guy? Mine says 225X24 = 405lb 1RM. :laugh

-Rex

I agree that the higher the reps, the less reliable these things are. However, if I am doing 225X12, there is no reason I shouldn't be doing 300.

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/orm.htm

Guest Bullitt

-Rex

Try this one. Gives you 3 methods. #1 seems to work best for the bench and higher reps.

http://www.build-muscle-and-burn-fat.com/o...calculator.html

-Rex

Yea that calc is useless for anything over 10 reps Rex. There are a few good ones out there though that I have found to be very accurate even at the higher rep range. The one Bullitt linked to is best i've seen

Bench portion of today's workout,

close grip bench

132x5

176x5

220x5

264x3

286x2

308x2 (was going for 3 but misgrooved 2nd so racked)

308x3 (PR)

320x1 (missed the second)

286x2x2 pausd and slightly wider grip

Guest Bullitt

close grip bench

132x5

176x5

220x5

264x3

286x2

308x3 (PR)

Strong stuff Sam!!! :rock

close grip bench

132x5

176x5

220x5

264x3

286x2

308x3 (PR)

Strong stuff Sam!!! :rock

Strong stuff indeed..! :rock

Forgot to post this Thursday. Bench portion of my workout.

135X8

225X8

225X8

225X7 (failed on 8th.

Is this your typical bench press routine Mike? (I mean 1warm up and 3work sets for 8?)

Guest Bullitt
Forgot to post this Thursday. Bench portion of my workout.

135X8

225X8

225X8

225X7 (failed on 8th.

Is this your typical bench press routine Mike? (I mean 1warm up and 3work sets for 8?)

No, I'm actually in the middle of a 20 rep squat program right now. This was after my body was totally warmed up from the squats. I'm mixing things up right now on everything other than squats (varying reps and sets). I just finished a bench press program that was several warm up sets and either a double or a single. At this point I'm really just hoping to hold onto the gains i made with that and give one more push to 300 in the coming weeks.