• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hamil1km

• acorn

• CoC#3

• RPGoodfellow

Forgot to post this Thursday. Bench portion of my workout.

135X8

225X8

225X8

225X7 (failed on 8th.

Is this your typical bench press routine Mike? (I mean 1warm up and 3work sets for 8?)

No, I'm actually in the middle of a 20 rep squat program right now. This was after my body was totally warmed up from the squats. I'm mixing things up right now on everything other than squats (varying reps and sets). I just finished a bench press program that was several warm up sets and either a double or a single. At this point I'm really just hoping to hold onto the gains i made with that and give one more push to 300 in the coming weeks.

20 rep Squat is a very demanding routine Mike - as you can see for yourself - and a lot of your energy goes there.

As for the bench presses I would say to pyramid the weigh until 2reps (something like 10 , 8 , 5 , 2) at the top set and try to add 2 to 5 pounds at every workout (like

Milos who managed this way to lift and carry a full grown bull!!).

Of course I don't tell you what to do my friend....It's only an opinion.

Best of luck with your progress. :rock

Bench from Sunday

5x135

5x185

3x225

2x275

2x330 easy

4x300 easy

Skull krushers

10x170

- Aaron

Strong pressing Aaron.... :rock

Skull crushers are excellent for the triceps... :rock

Very nice Aaron. Do you think skullcrushers would help me being a close grip bencher? Or would it be too much volume to skullcrush heavy after benching?

Guest Bullitt
Forgot to post this Thursday. Bench portion of my workout.

135X8

225X8

225X8

225X7 (failed on 8th.

Is this your typical bench press routine Mike? (I mean 1warm up and 3work sets for 8?)

No, I'm actually in the middle of a 20 rep squat program right now. This was after my body was totally warmed up from the squats. I'm mixing things up right now on everything other than squats (varying reps and sets). I just finished a bench press program that was several warm up sets and either a double or a single. At this point I'm really just hoping to hold onto the gains i made with that and give one more push to 300 in the coming weeks.

20 rep Squat is a very demanding routine Mike - as you can see for yourself - and a lot of your energy goes there.

As for the bench presses I would say to pyramid the weigh until 2reps (something like 10 , 8 , 5 , 2) at the top set and try to add 2 to 5 pounds at every workout (like

Milos who managed this way to lift and carry a full grown bull!!).

Of course I don't tell you what to do my friend....It's only an opinion.

Best of luck with your progress. :rock

Thank you my friend. I am always open to suggestions from people who know what they are talking about like yourself, Sam, and Aaron. I try not to listen to Hammy because he's a little slow if you know what I mean. :laugh

I plan on getting back to some lower rep work, pyramiding up like you suggest, in the coming weeks. As always I will keep you guys informed of my progress. Thanks buddy, and I was very glad to hear that they have most of the fires under control near Athens. I'm glad you and your family weren't affected.

Very nice Aaron. Do you think skullcrushers would help me being a close grip bencher? Or would it be too much volume to skullcrush heavy after benching?

Thx, tough call on the volume. you may have to just try it. I've never been much of a close grip enthusiast. IMHO Skull krushers are the king of triceps power building exercises. they are like chocolate syrup. Just about everything is better with some.

- Aaron

I'll do them after push presses on Thursday Aaron. I've always been a better close grip bencher but would you suggest starting slightly wider bench ? I think it might be easier to get out of the habit of benching close now than it will be in say 5 years time.

I'll do them after push presses on Thursday Aaron. I've always been a better close grip bencher but would you suggest starting slightly wider bench ? I think it might be easier to get out of the habit of benching close now than it will be in say 5 years time.

I thought wider hurt your shoulder? Do whatever doesnt hurt you is what I would recommend.

- Aaron

Guest Bullitt

Interestingly enough I read an article last night that said they hooked athletes up to some contraption that measured muscle stimulation while benchpressing. It showed that for some reason close grip benching stimulated way more muscle fibers in the upper chest than wide grip benching. I was really surprised by this. The conclusion was, twofold, if you are a bodybuilder that needs to bring up your upper pecs, or if you are looking to improve your overhead pressing (which recruits a lot of the upper pecs), do more close grip bench work. It also obviously worked the triceps more than wide bench.

The wider bench worked the outer and lower pecs, and the shoulders more.

Article suggested a 50/50% split for most people, with an emphasis on close bench for people looking to accomplish the two things mentioned above.

Edited by Bullitt

It did Aaron but i did a few singles with a slightly wider grip (index fingers 1-2'' away from the smooth) last time and they felt ok. The shoulder has felt ok on everything recently but i am always hesitant because i am worried about injuring it again. It is probably more of a mental thing than anything else.

Close grip benching has definitely helped my overhead Mike.

As you move your grip at the center of the barbell you push the weight more with the triceps than the chest muscles.

The wider the grip, you press more with the chest and shoulders. Of course all the above muscles are involved for the press but it's the percentage of the load that changes.

If you have strong triceps you will feel more comfortable and confident with the close grip or reverse grip.

If you have strong pecs you will use , for your heavy presses , a wide grip.

For a bigger press though , as I read some years ago at an article of 'POWERLIFTING USA' magazine ( they were bringing it to Greece some years ago as Foreign Press ),

you must bench with a wide grip because the chest muscles are bigger muscles than the triceps so they are stronger. This article mentioned that if a close grip bencher worked

out until he could press with wider grip, he could press , with the same amount of strength , 20%!!! more weight than his best close grip bench press!! It included a routine in witch

at every workout you position your hands a little bit wider until you reach the right spread.

Benched on Weds evening.

Bench

5x135#

5x185#

3x225#

2x275#

1x315#

1x355# Had more in the tank

4x305# Easy

Seated Military Press

5xbar

4x135#

10x185#

45deg incline situps

20x 45# plate on chest

DB side bends

14x 150# per side

Grip work after

- Aaron

Benched on Weds evening.

Bench

5x135#

5x185#

3x225#

2x275#

1x315#

1x355# Had more in the tank

4x305# Easy

Seated Military Press

5xbar

4x135#

10x185#

45deg incline situps

20x 45# plate on chest

DB side bends

14x 150# per side

Grip work after

- Aaron

Nice work aaron!

As you move your grip at the center of the barbell you push the weight more with the triceps than the chest muscles.

The wider the grip, you press more with the chest and shoulders. Of course all the above muscles are involved for the press but it's the percentage of the load that changes.

If you have strong triceps you will feel more comfortable and confident with the close grip or reverse grip.

For a bigger press though , as I read some years ago at an article of 'POWERLIFTING USA' magazine ( they were bringing it to Greece some years ago as Foreign Press ),

you must bench with a wide grip because the chest muscles are bigger muscles than the triceps so they are stronger. This article mentioned that if a close grip bencher worked

out until he could press with wider grip, he could press , with the same amount of strength , 20%!!! more weight than his best close grip bench press!! It included a routine in witch

at every workout you position your hands a little bit wider until you reach the right spread.

True but remember the wider you go the more wear and tear on your shoulders and chest and it can be harder to stay tight going too wide. A good setup will help and with good tricep work you can have more pop off the bottom and enough strength to lockout by going a little narrow. Pinkies on the rings is a good bet for a raw lifter.

Guest Bullitt

Put pinkies on the rings and benched after my 20 rep squats tonight:

135X10

185X6

255X4 Might have had another in me, but my wife was spotting and I didn't want to risk it.

Then did seated presses:

135X10

165X6

200X2 PR

True but remember the wider you go the more wear and tear on your shoulders and chest and it can be harder to stay tight going too wide. A good setup will help and with good tricep work you can have more pop off the bottom and enough strength to lockout by going a little narrow. Pinkies on the rings is a good bet for a raw lifter.

Agreed. :rock

Just got back from 9days out of town and most of that in Yosemite doing backcountry hiking. After I got home from the long drive late this afternoon and got the car unpacked I headed to the gym.

Bench

5x135#

3x185#

3x225#

2x275#

2x315#

2x345#

4x310#

Skull Krushers

6x175# Left wrist started hurting so I stopped there

45deg incline situps

15x 55# DB on Chest

Barbell Side Bends

10x175# per side (fun to try and balance these bad boys. DBs at gym only went to 150#)

Grip workout

Happy to hit my planned numbers on the bench after the layoff and the long drive. Gonna try to hit a nice 10mile hike up the mountain tomorrow morning as well. BW still hovering around 260#

- Aaron

Guest Bullitt

Strong work Aaron. I did seated presses and close grip bench last night.

Strict Seated Press, dead stop reps with pins at eye level:

BarX15

135X10

185X6

205X1 PR

225Xmiss

215X1 PR

Close grip bench:

135X10

205X9 PR

235X3 PR

Nice work Mike. Triceps are getting stronger which will help you blast through a 300 bench soon. How's the back?

Guest Bullitt
Nice work Mike. Triceps are getting stronger which will help you blast through a 300 bench soon. How's the back?

Still a little sore, but much better. Actually able to stand straight up now. I wore a neoprene brace for heat retention and my belt for everything yesterday. Even bench. Not taking any chances until GGC on the 19th.

thx guys. I'm sore as hell today and still pretty weak. Got a bad case of Heat Exhaustion / borderline Heat Stroke, yesterday when a hike went unexpectedly longer that planned. Luckily I'm stubborn as hell and my wife was still in good enough shape to help me get off the mountain without a helicopter ride. 7hr hike, made it 8 of the planned 10 miles, 3000' elevation gain in 4 miles, 100+ temps, bad combo. Feeling alot better today though.

- Aaron

Luckily I'm stubborn as hell and my wife was still in good enough shape to help me get off the mountain without a helicopter ride.

You'd never live that down!

-Rex

Guest Bullitt
thx guys. I'm sore as hell today and still pretty weak. Got a bad case of Heat Exhaustion / borderline Heat Stroke, yesterday when a hike went unexpectedly longer that planned. Luckily I'm stubborn as hell and my wife was still in good enough shape to help me get off the mountain without a helicopter ride. 7hr hike, made it 8 of the planned 10 miles, 3000' elevation gain in 4 miles, 100+ temps, bad combo. Feeling alot better today though.

- Aaron

Glad you're ok bro.