Goody, Hammy, Bullitt Bench Press Race

Guest Bullitt

Guest Bullitt
Look out guys. All the speed work seems to be paying off. Previous best 5X5 was with 230. 5th rep of 5th set was tough last time. I was using very slow rep speed. It was killing me on max attempts too, since I kept getting stuck half way up. Anyway, here was today's workout.

barX20

barX20

95X10

135X10

185X1

235X5

235X5

235X5

235X5

235X6 (almost got 7th) :blink

Waited 3 minutes and did SCT Bench SRT with all the weight I had:

30 seconds X 310lbs

This is the strongest I have ever felt on the bench by far.

Holy crap. The SCT stuff is no joke. My whole body feels fried today. I was shoving the 310 up against the top pin on the rack as hard as I could so i was probably pushing quite a bit more than 310 for most of the 30 seconds, but even with that I can't believe how dead I feel today. My body feels like it aged 10 years. lol.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hamil1km

• acorn

• CoC#3

• RPGoodfellow

Good stuff, Mike. I've got a chest workout tonight. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Look out guys. All the speed work seems to be paying off. Previous best 5X5 was with 230. 5th rep of 5th set was tough last time. I was using very slow rep speed. It was killing me on max attempts too, since I kept getting stuck half way up. Anyway, here was today's workout.

barX20

barX20

95X10

135X10

185X1

235X5

235X5

235X5

235X5

235X6 (almost got 7th) :blink

Waited 3 minutes and did SCT Bench SRT with all the weight I had:

30 seconds X 310lbs

This is the strongest I have ever felt on the bench by far.

Holy crap. The SCT stuff is no joke. My whole body feels fried today. I was shoving the 310 up against the top pin on the rack as hard as I could so i was probably pushing quite a bit more than 310 for most of the 30 seconds, but even with that I can't believe how dead I feel today. My body feels like it aged 10 years. lol.

Wowser thats a long hold. I bet it hurts today. Prolly tuckered out your CNS some as well. To do the SCT stuff with maximum effectiveness towards top end strength you really gotta get that time down between 5-15sec. I think you should either do it like you did with 310 giving it everything you got against the pins about 4" or so from lockout for 10-15 sec or find a way to get another 100# or so on there.

Either way good job and way to give it hell.

- Aaron

300x9

-Rex

You pricks are going to make me try this aren't you?

...maybe next week. HAHA!

300x9

-Rex

Ur prolly close to 400lb max eh Rex? They say 300x10 should equal about 400lb 1RM.

Guest Bullitt
300x9

-Rex

Not us. :inno

Dude, 3 days til we crush some $#it! :rock

300x9

-Rex

Goody U should either go for a max rep attempt on 300 or just go for a 1RM . Give us an idea of where ur at lol

300x9

-Rex

Goody U should either go for a max rep attempt on 300 or just go for a 1RM . Give us an idea of where ur at lol

What's wrong? Scared of the sneak attack? Sissy.

300x9

-Rex

Rex,

Would you like in on the race? What is your current bench max?

My max like 2 years ago was 365. Then I stopped training upper body seriously for a while, started getting serious back in March. Max is probably higher now. I don't really max on bench; it's less productive for me than just doing a workout and getting stronger. I am going for 4 plates but am doing it more for myself than as part of a race with others. I will give updates on my progress though.

-Rex

300x9

-Rex

Ur trying to be stealth to catch us off guard. However, I was really just curious how many reps you could do so I could then do whatever you did +1 and post it

Guest Bullitt
300x9

-Rex

Ur trying to be stealth to catch us off guard. However, I was really just curious how many reps you could do so I could then do whatever you did +1 and post it

I knew you two would be at it quickly when i suggested this. If only my bench were substantial enough to talk shit, I would jump right in. :blush

300x9

-Rex

Rex,

My max like 2 years ago was 365. Then I stopped training upper body seriously for a while, started getting serious back in March. Max is probably higher now. I don't really max on bench; it's less productive for me than just doing a workout and getting stronger. I am going for 4 plates but am doing it more for myself than as part of a race with others. I will give updates on my progress though.

-Rex

Sounds good bro.

300x9

-Rex

HAHAHA!

300x9

-Rex

Rex,

-Rex

Rex,

I figured you'd be 400+ any damn way! I'm sure you'll hit the 4 plate bench, no problem.

I rarely max as well. I rotate my routines through a variety of max effort, speed, pause, and partials. I guess Mike and Hammy made me an offer I couldn't refuse. ;)

300x9

-Rex

Rex,

-Rex

Rex,

I figured you'd be 400+ any damn way! I'm sure you'll hit the 4 plate bench, no problem.

I rarely max as well. I rotate my routines through a variety of max effort, speed, pause, and partials. I guess Mike and Hammy made me an offer I couldn't refuse. ;)

It's not nearly as fun to only lift for personal gains. I prefer to compete against fellow Griptards :D

Guest Bullitt

All I know is my chest is getting more sore by the minute. The SCT stuff fried me. I think it was an evil ploy by Aaron to kill us all. :laugh

All I know is my chest is getting more sore by the minute. The SCT stuff fried me. I think it was an evil ploy by Aaron to kill us all. :laugh

Very possible :devil:trout

What doesnt kill you can only make me stronger ;):D:rock

No kidding 30sec is a long iso hold no matter what your doing. :blink

- Aaron

Guest Bullitt

- Aaron

:laugh:cry

By the way Aaron, who the heck is Inigo Montoya? And why did you kill his pops? :laugh

Edited by Bullitt

- Aaron

By the way Aaron, who the heck is Inigo Montoya? And why did you kill his pops? :laugh

:laugh btw, Inigo Montoya is a character from the movie 'The Princess Bride' and that is one of his quotes. One of those you had to see it to get the reference things.

- Aaron

- Aaron

:laugh btw, Inigo Montoya is a character from the movie 'The Princess Bride' and that is one of his quotes. One of those you had to see it to get the reference things.

- Aaron

Yep.

:D

ME Chest workout last night. Highlights are below; check my blog for the full post.

Flat Bench Press

-Bar X 20

-135 X 10

-185 X 5

-225 X 3

-275 X 1

-315 X 1

-365 X MISS (Felt light; but, I came out of the groove.)

-365 X 1

-375 X 1

-380 X MISS (Buried.)

-300 X 7

SCT Bench SRP

-365 X 15 sec.

-405 X 10 sec.

-405 X MISS (I was so fried I couldn't get it off the rack.)

Hambone: I couldn't resist the temptation of hitting 300lbs for max reps (peer pressure). I bet I'm close to 10 reps at 300lbs when fresh.

Aaron: The SCT bench SRP's are really tough, bro. My CNS was FRIED. I'm already starting to get sore from the workout, which is unusual for me this early.

ME Chest workout last night. Highlights are below; check my blog for the full post.

Flat Bench Press

-Bar X 20

-135 X 10

-185 X 5

-225 X 3

-275 X 1

-315 X 1

-365 X 1

-375 X 1

-380 X MISS (Buried.)

-300 X 7

SCT Bench SRP

-365 X 15 sec.

-405 X 10 sec.

Hambone: I couldn't resist the temptation of hitting 300lbs for max reps (peer pressure). I bet I'm close to 10 reps at 300lbs when fresh.

Aaron: The SCT bench SRP's are really tough, bro. My CNS was FRIED. I'm already starting to get sore from the workout, which is unusual for me this early.

Nice work. Missing 365 then coming back to hit 365 and 375 especially! yea those SCTs are crazy. After Acorn talked about them I loaded up 415 and tested it out. Pretty wild. I'm gonna try some non spotter max attempts either tomorrow, this weekend or monday depending on if i'm feeling sore still or not

Guest Bullitt

Flat Bench Press

-Bar X 20

-135 X 10

-185 X 5

-225 X 3

-275 X 1

-315 X 1

-365 X 1

-375 X 1

-380 X MISS (Buried.)

-300 X 7

SCT Bench SRP

-365 X 15 sec.

-405 X 10 sec.

Awesome workout Goody! Yea, My CNS still seems a bit off kilter from the SCT's I'm taking a couple days off before i do squats. My chest isn't as sore as i thought it would be today, but it feels like I still have a pump from Tuesday's workout. very wierd.