Goody, Hammy, Bullitt Bench Press Race

Guest Bullitt

I'll be happy with my measly 3 bills and a nickel. I'll let you young boys battle for the quad. I have a feeling that when one of us gets close, Aaron is going to bust out 400 pretty quickly. Time will tell...

Yea buddy... Light weight!

BTW Aaron and Goody no compression shirts or anything goofy like that.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hamil1km

• acorn

• CoC#3

• RPGoodfellow

I'll be happy with my measly 3 bills and a nickel. I'll let you young boys battle for the quad. I have a feeling that when one of us gets close, Aaron is going to bust out 400 pretty quickly. Time will tell...

Nope never used one, never will.

Nope never used one, never will.

good deal

Guest Bullitt

Crap. I'd like to change my goal to 125 then please. Anybody in the market for a used Inzer? :laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

Just kiddin. I never understood using bench shirts. You might as well have somebody helping you lift the weight or use bands to assist on max efforts. Not a true test of strength. Never used them and honestly, I think they ought to be banned from benching competitions. Then again, I'm old school. Actually, just old. But i make up for it by being slow. ;)

I don't roll that way, bro.

I don't roll that way, bro.

Good I think they are a scam!

Was gassed from last two nights of benching and whatnot but had to try your pause reps.

Did 135x10

225x5

300x3

Good burn! Good contrast to speed work which is equally as important!

So, can I get in on this? :inno

U got 20lbs to 320 Frank? We'd probably have to set urs at 320 or 325

Guest Bullitt

You're in Frank.

The goal, to stay the same percentage as Hammy, Goody, and little ol me will be 330.

Hammy and Goody have to bump 35lbs

You and I 29 (you) 30 (me)

Aaron (we don't know because he just started benching again, so he picked 400 for a total goal. So here are the goals:

Hammy: 400lbs

Goody: 400lbs

Aaron: 400lbs

Frank: 330lbs

Mike: 305lbs

May the best man come in second... because I'm hoping to win. :laugh:laugh

Guest Bullitt

Did some bench work to try and help me blast through my sticking point.

Warmups:

BarX20

BarX20 (fast)

95X15 (fast)

135 - 8 sets X 3 speed reps (tried to blast the weight up as fast as possible)

Close grip bench press:

185lb 3X10 (tried to do these faster than my normal tempo as well)

Used foam roller for all working sets.

Edited by Bullitt

You're in Frank.

The goal, to stay the same percentage as Hammy, Goody, and little ol me will be 330.

Hammy and Goody have to bump 35lbs

You and I 29 (you) 30 (me)

Aaron (we don't know because he just started benching again, so he picked 400 for a total goal. So here are the goals:

Hammy: 400lbs

Goody: 400lbs

Aaron: 400lbs

Frank: 330lbs

Mike: 305lbs

May the best man come in second... because I'm hoping to win. :laugh:laugh

Cool, sounds good.

Did an early AM session this morning. didnt go quite as well as I hoped on bench but a decent workout anyway.

BW 255#

Squats

5x135, 20x235

Bench

5x135, 3x205, 3x235, 7x275

SCT Bench SRP

10sec @ 405

8sec @ 475

Skull krushers

9x135

Barbell Wrist curls

10x135

Standing DB press

3x75 almost got 4th but arms were smoked from krushers

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

Guest Bullitt
Did an early AM session this morning. didnt go quite as well as I hoped on bench but a decent workout anyway.

BW 255#

Squats

5x135, 20x235

Bench

SCT Bench SRP

10sec @ 405

8sec @ 475

Skull krushers

9x135

Barbell Wrist curls

10x135

Standing DB press

- Aaron

Nice workout Aaron. Dumb question probably, but what are SCT Bench SRP?

Started 5x5s this morning. I'll just post bench portion here

Bench

10x135lbs

10x135lbs

2x225lbs

5x285lbs

5x285lbs

5x285lbs

5x285lbs

7x285lbs (tapped the inner demons for this one barely got 5th rep on 4th set lol)

BW 255#

Squats

5x135, 20x235

Bench

SCT Bench SRP

10sec @ 405

8sec @ 475

Skull krushers

9x135

Barbell Wrist curls

10x135

Standing DB press

- Aaron

Not a dumb question at all. Probably something most are not familiar with but I am a firm believer in this type of training. SCT stands for Static Contraction Training, SRP stands for Strong Range Partial.

So a SCT SRP Bench is kinda like an iso hold in the strong range of the bench movement, a lift off and hold about 3" or so from lockout. You usually shoot for 5-10sec on these type of movements before you can no longer hold the position. When you can no longer hold the position that is the end of the rep/set and your time. Today I did not all the way to failure as I'm just working back into them. Working weights are typically about 50% higher than max on the movement and forces adaptation because of the increased intensity load without having to abuse the joints as much with the full movement. Also improvements on the SCT exercise have about a 30% carryover to the full range movement. So if your SCT bench goes up 100# in 2 or 3 weeks (2-3 workouts) like mine did last year when I was doing them, then you get around 30# increase on the full range movement. I have a few books on the method and recommend googling SCT training if you have any interest in learning more.

- Aaron

Started 5x5s this morning. I'll just post bench portion here

Bench

10x135lbs

10x135lbs

2x225lbs

5x285lbs

5x285lbs

5x285lbs

5x285lbs

7x285lbs (tapped the inner demons for this one barely got 5th rep on 4th set lol)

Nice! :rock

Guest Bullitt

Thanks Aaron. I will give them a try. Do they require more recovery time afterward?

Nice workout Hammy. Very strong.

Aaron,

I read about these a month or so ago and was interested but what type of setup do you use for them? I don't have a spotter, smith machine, or power rack . Just your regular ol bench

Thanks Aaron. I will give them a try. Do they require more recovery time afterward?

Nice workout Hammy. Very strong.

No Prob, Definately more recovery time. Time to grow as they say. Only want to do one Heavy set per exercise on them as well. The books recommend at least a week or 10 days between workouts. I've found pretty good results in general with that amount of time between workouts anyway though. If you have questions let me know.

- Aaron

Aaron,

I read about these a month or so ago and was interested but what type of setup do you use for them? I don't have a spotter, smith machine, or power rack . Just your regular ol bench

I dont use a spotter, power rack or smith machine either. I would not trust any of the gym rats to even wipe down my bench correctly much less help me with a lift off at close to 50% above my max. They can stick with their 3# dbs and I'll make sure all the plates get used. I just use a regular bench at the gym and set the height if I can where all I have to do is just lift off the uprights 1 inch or less. When failure sets in it drops right into the hooks. Also you scoot back so that the weight is directly over your chest when you lift off. If you cannot change the height of the uprights you can always just lift it off a little from wherever they are at. If you consistently use the same position you can still gauge progress really well.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

Aaron,

I dont use a spotter, power rack or smith machine either. I would not trust any of the gym rats to even wipe down my bench correctly much less help me with a lift off at close to 50% above my max. They can stick with their 3# dbs and I'll make sure all the plates get used. I just use a regular bench at the gym and set the height if I can where all I have to do is just lift off the uprights 1 inch or less. When failure sets in it drops right into the hooks. Also you scoot back so that the weight is directly over your chest when you lift off. If you cannot change the height of the uprights you can always just lift it off a little from wherever they are at. If you consistently use the same position you can still gauge progress really well.

- Aaron

HAHHAHAHA. Alright. I don't think I have enough weight but I may try one soon. I only got about 480lbs of weight

Aaron,

- Aaron

Yeah, me neither. I've got absolutely zero places to put the bar if I can't get it back up, so my back-up is to just leave the collars off the bar. That way if I can't finish it, I just dump the weight. Rarely happens anymore, though :D

Solid work, guys! :rock

BW 255#

Squats

5x135, 20x235

Bench

SCT Bench SRP

10sec @ 405

8sec @ 475

Skull krushers

9x135

Barbell Wrist curls

10x135

Standing DB press

- Aaron

Not a dumb question at all. Probably something most are not familiar with but I am a firm believer in this type of training. SCT stands for Static Contraction Training, SRP stands for Strong Range Partial.

So a SCT SRP Bench is kinda like an iso hold in the strong range of the bench movement, a lift off and hold about 3" or so from lockout. You usually shoot for 5-10sec on these type of movements before you can no longer hold the position. When you can no longer hold the position that is the end of the rep/set and your time. Today I did not all the way to failure as I'm just working back into them. Working weights are typically about 50% higher than max on the movement and forces adaptation because of the increased intensity load without having to abuse the joints as much with the full movement. Also improvements on the SCT exercise have about a 30% carryover to the full range movement. So if your SCT bench goes up 100# in 2 or 3 weeks (2-3 workouts) like mine did last year when I was doing them, then you get around 30# increase on the full range movement. I have a few books on the method and recommend googling SCT training if you have any interest in learning more.

- Aaron

Dang, I gotta try that!

Guest Bullitt

Look out guys. All the speed work seems to be paying off. Previous best 5X5 was with 230. 5th rep of 5th set was tough last time. I was using very slow rep speed. It was killing me on max attempts too, since I kept getting stuck half way up. Anyway, here was today's workout.

barX20

barX20

95X10

135X10

185X1

235X5

235X5

235X5

235X5

235X6 (almost got 7th) :blink

Waited 3 minutes and did SCT Bench SRT with all the weight I had:

30 seconds X 310lbs

This is the strongest I have ever felt on the bench by far.