Goody, Hammy, Bullitt Bench Press Race

Guest Bullitt

Thanks, guys! I've got a longer-than-average recovery after this workout. Between my shoulder and the SCT crap...it's good I only bench once a week. HAHA!

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hamil1km

• acorn

• CoC#3

• RPGoodfellow

ME Chest workout last night. Highlights are below; check my blog for the full post.

Flat Bench Press

-Bar X 20

-135 X 10

-185 X 5

-225 X 3

-275 X 1

-315 X 1

-365 X MISS (Felt light; but, I came out of the groove.)

-365 X 1

-375 X 1

-380 X MISS (Buried.)

-300 X 7

SCT Bench SRP

-365 X 15 sec.

-405 X 10 sec.

-405 X MISS (I was so fried I couldn't get it off the rack.)

Hambone: I couldn't resist the temptation of hitting 300lbs for max reps (peer pressure). I bet I'm close to 10 reps at 300lbs when fresh.

Aaron: The SCT bench SRP's are really tough, bro. My CNS was FRIED. I'm already starting to get sore from the workout, which is unusual for me this early.

Thanks, and I bet. Normally the SCT stuff is the workout by itself not the grenade with no pin dropped on top of your morning pancakes. I would recommend at least a week between sessions if you guys are crazy enough to try and follow me down the rabbit hole on these.

- Aaron

Guest Bullitt

The thing that got me was how stiff my whole body was the next day. That's how i knew that the whole system took a hit. Only had that happen from heavy squat or dead sessions before. Good stuff.

Decided to try a max today on bench for our race

barx10

135x10

295x1

315x1

345x1

365x1pr

375x1PR (this went up pretty smooth suprisingly)

380 missed about half way up and had to dump since I had no spotter :D Was going for 380 just to outdo Goody's max day by 5lb LOL

Went for 300 for reps after dumping the 380 off my chest

300x7 (didn't have the guts to go for the 8th rep!)

We got a race !

Guest Bullitt

barx10

135x10

295x1

315x1

345x1

365x1pr

380 missed about half way up and had to dump since I had no spotter :D Was going for 380 just to outdo Goody's max day by 5lb LOL

We got a race !

You guys are exactly even. Which makes it nice that you will get to share my gripper purchase. :laugh

Awesome Job Hammy. Looks like we got us a race!

barx10

135x10

295x1

315x1

345x1

365x1pr

We got a race !

Great work, bro!

Damn it...I knew you guys were going to make me work! HAHA! Awesome job.

Guest Bullitt

Warmed up and went for 280 today, but it was not to be. All the bending attempts, ripping, and gripping must have taken too much out of me. Thought I would get this for sure. :angry:

Warmed up and went for 280 today, but it was not to be. All the bending attempts, ripping, and gripping must have taken too much out of me. Thought I would get this for sure. :angry:

You live to fight another day, bro.

Early AM workout.

5min treadmill

Squats

5x135, 3x185, 18x245

Bench

5x135, 3x185, 3x225, 8x275

SCT SRP Bench

7sec @ 495#

Standing DB Press

10x65# Both Arms

Lying Tricep Press (skull krushers)

10x135

Barbell Wrist Kurl

20x135

- Aaron

Early AM workout.

5min treadmill

Squats

5x135, 3x185, 18x245

Bench

SCT SRP Bench

7sec @ 495#

Standing DB Press

10x65# Both Arms

10x135

Barbell Wrist Kurl

20x135

- Aaron

Nice Work. Climbing that ladder toward 400

Early AM workout.

5min treadmill

Squats

5x135, 3x185, 18x245

Bench

SCT SRP Bench

7sec @ 495#

Standing DB Press

10x65# Both Arms

10x135

Barbell Wrist Kurl

20x135

- Aaron

Good stuff, Aaron! Stronger with every workout, bro.

Strong workout Aaron! I have trouble tying my shoes early in the morning. :D

Hilarious! I'm the same way, Mike. I'm only good for a little cardio in the morning at best. I'm much better in the gym later in the day. I think I need to be able to carb load throughout the day to be strong and intense in the gym.

Hilarious! I'm the same way, Mike. I'm only good for a little cardio in the morning at best. I'm much better in the gym later in the day. I think I need to be able to carb load throughout the day to be strong and intense in the gym.

Me too. I feel like crap and weak as hell in the morning. Unfortunately that is the only time I have to train right now. I had to stop at 18reps on the planned 20 on squats because I felt light headed from lack of food and thought I was gonna fall over.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

Me too. I feel like crap and weak as hell in the morning. Unfortunately that is the only time I have to train right now. I had to stop at 18reps on the planned 20 on squats because I felt light headed from lack of food and thought I was gonna fall over.

- Aaron

Yeah...but then you hit 275 X 8 on the bench! Sick-o.

I would have been puking in a trash can, slipping in and out of consciousness.

Edited by Goody

Test levels are significantly higher in the mornings. Morning wood and all that.

-Rex

Guest Bullitt
Test levels are significantly higher in the mornings. Morning wood and all that.

-Rex

Maybe, but caffeine levels are very low. Takes at least a pot just to get my heart started every morning. :blink

Edited by Bullitt

Speaking of working out in the mornings, I've heard that working out immediately after rising from bed--especially when doing lifts that put lots of pressure on the spine like DL's and squats--is dangerous to the spine because the spinal fluid is not evenly distributed (from being horizontal so long while sleeping).

Any truth to this, or just another strength training myth?

-Rex

-Rex

Maybe for you. My test is prolly half what it was when I was your age.

- Aaron

Speaking of working out in the mornings, I've heard that working out immediately after rising from bed--especially when doing lifts that put lots of pressure on the spine like DL's and squats--is dangerous to the spine because the spinal fluid is not evenly distributed (from being horizontal so long while sleeping).

-Rex

I say lift whenever you have time. I lift at 5am before work sometimes and at 11pm before bed sometimes. Obviously in the early morning right out of bed you're not 100% alert but oh well. I've never dropped a barbel on my throat or anything yet

Guest Bullitt

-Rex

Maybe for you. My test is prolly half what it was when I was your age.

- Aaron

I guess that puts me at around 1/3 tank. Jeesh! Thanks for brightening my day Aaron! :dry

With age comes wisdom... as well as bad backs, incontinence, altzheimers, etc... I'd rather be young and stupid. :laugh

Guest Bullitt

-Rex

Not sure about this one. I just read a study that showed that even though testosterone levels are significantly higher in the morrning than in the afternoon, test subjects were on average 8% stronger in the afternoon than the morning. Claimed it was all due to body temp. I guess your temperature goes down at night and slowly ramps up during the day or something. I just know I'm not worth a chit before noon and after two back surgeries, the only way my back will be stable again is if I tie some 2X4's to it. :laugh

-Rex

Morning wood is good for things that do not require heading to the gym with mesh shorts.

-Rex

Not sure about this one. I just read a study that showed that even though testosterone levels are significantly higher in the morrning than in the afternoon, test subjects were on average 8% stronger in the afternoon than the morning. Claimed it was all due to body temp. I guess your temperature goes down at night and slowly ramps up during the day or something. I just know I'm not worth a chit before noon and after two back surgeries, the only way my back will be stable again is if I tie some 2X4's to it. :laugh

Perhaps this is why the deadlifting numbers in the WABDL have always been considered more impressive than WABDL's benching numbers. The bench flights start early in the morning and the deadlifters don't get going until afternoon! I'll keep this information hidden from Gus. He might change the order of events.

Guest Bullitt

Here was another one I found. Take it for what it's worth...

Body temperature

Sports scientists say that exercise performance is closely related to body temperature, which peaks for most people in the early evening. You may be different. And even so, the response to exercise is cyclical during the day with the early afternoon a “down” time for many people. Further, the optimum time for exercise for you is not just determined by your body clock, but by the type of exercise, your age and health, environmental conditions such as light and heat, and social activities like meals and work patterns.

Soccer players peak at night

Researchers looked at the performance of soccer players for skills such as grip strength, reaction times, flexibility, juggling and dribbling tasks, and the wall-volley test. The players were tested at 8AM, 12PM, 4PM, and 8PM. None of the tests was superior at 8AM or 12PM and for several tests, players performed better at 8PM. The researchers concluded that soccer players "perform at an optimum between 16:00 (4PM) and 20:00 (8PM) when not only football [soccer]-specific skills but also measures of physical performance are at their peak.”

Exercise Hormones -- Cortisol and Testosterone

Weight training in the evening may be superior for building muscle according, to research on the hormones cortisol and testosterone in weight trainers. Cortisol is a hormone that, among other functions, helps regulate blood sugar by breaking down muscle tissue when necessary. This is called “catabolism.” Testosterone does the opposite: it helps to build muscle by utilizing proteins. This is called “anabolism.”

As it turns out, cortisol is usually highest in the early morning and lowest in the evening. Testosterone is also highest in the morning -- as most men will attest. However, what this study showed was that the ratio of testosterone to cortisol was highest in the evening because cortisol, the muscle-breaking hormone, dropped more over the day than testosterone did, providing a more anabolic, muscle-building state in the evening.

-Rex

Morning wood is good for things that do not require heading to the gym with mesh shorts.

Amen to that brother! :mosher